Women in Gaming - Brief Survey

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

The Bad Shepherd

Women in Gaming - Brief Survey

Post by The Bad Shepherd »

Hey all! Have not been around these parts in a while, but you guys have been on my mind. I'm Editor in Chief of my college's newspaper, now! I'm living with three other people, make my own (simple) meals, and have a girlfriend. I, uh, feel like an adult.

Anyway, one of my classes involved making an instrument and collecting data about something you feel was relevant. I chose women in gaming, as from what I've seen, they are either not playing or not advertising themselves in much of online gaming (WoW was an exception, from what I remember, but I don't play anymore.)

Anywho, I know the folks who frequent this forum play games online, and some of you are even women! I was hoping to get a few of online womenfolk gamers to take this brief, six question research survey so my professor (who coaches the rugby team) does not break my limbs! If this goes well, I get to present it at a Communication Conference, which means it will be citable by other students pursuing similar lines of investigation. First, though, I need data. So, if you meet that description, please, follow this: https://oit.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=S ... 2aAWqAHyfj

Finally, I know many of you are well experienced (I'm one of the younger people who has frequented this forum, I'm pretty sure,) so if you have any suggestions for a means of distributing this survey to gaming populations without being shouted at, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Last edited by The Bad Shepherd on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Shepard." -Wrex
El Guapo

Re: Women in Gaming - Brief Survey

Post by El Guapo »

Good to hear from you!

The forum swallows up links that don't use the URL tag, like so. So there's currently no link in your post.
Black Lives Matter.
The Bad Shepherd

El Guapo wrote:Good to hear from you!

The forum swallows up links that don't use the URL tag, like so. So there's currently no link in your post.
Embarrassing! Thank you for letting me know. I will correct this.

Also - do people on OO play TF2? Pick up games lose their allure, I'd rather play with people I know are sensible, if I'm going to game at all. :P
"Shepard." -Wrex
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The questions are a bit odd...but I went ahead and answered them (I'm female :))

Mostly I play WoW anyway but other than that, I prefer single-player or co-op games (and I mostly treat WoW as a single-player game, only joining random groups if I absolutely have to for a particular task or quest). I don't particularly like dealing with people in RL...I don't want to deal with them in my games!
The Bad Shepherd

gilraen wrote:The questions are a bit odd...but I went ahead and answered them (I'm female :))

Mostly I play WoW anyway but other than that, I prefer single-player or co-op games (and I mostly treat WoW as a single-player game, only joining random groups if I absolutely have to for a particular task or quest). I don't particularly like dealing with people in RL...I don't want to deal with them in my games!
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Yes, I'm pretty sure my instrument is not the best, but it passed muster with my professor, at least. Again, much appreciated! Thank you.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

gilraen wrote:... (I'm female :))
Heh. I've been reading your excellent posts for a long time, and I had NO idea! Apparently, I'm not reading enough of the sub-forums. :oops:

Well, I'm a male and took the survey to see what would happen.
And that was without doubt the shortest survey I've ever taken.
Are you a male or a female?
Male.
Thank you for taking the survey.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I agree with gilraen, sort of odd questions.
I briefly tried playing online with strangers but found it very unsatisfying - not so much because of gender issues but mostly because I have a low tolerance for snotty teenagers. Now I only play with people I know, so no gender-based issues.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
The Bad Shepherd

Bad Demographic wrote:I agree with gilraen, sort of odd questions.
I briefly tried playing online with strangers but found it very unsatisfying - not so much because of gender issues but mostly because I have a low tolerance for snotty teenagers. Now I only play with people I know, so no gender-based issues.
"Sort of odd" or "bad?" Because if bad, I need to know for future survey attempts.

But thank you for taking the survey!
"Shepard." -Wrex
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The Bad Shepherd wrote: "Sort of odd" or "bad?" Because if bad, I need to know for future survey attempts.
With a 0-10 scale, probably would have helped to have a better frame of reference for those middle points - like between 0 (never) and 10 (always) put a few more definitions (like, is 5 = sometimes? half the time?)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Out of curiosity, is there anyway we can see the questions without being a woman?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote:Out of curiosity, is there anyway we can see the questions without being a woman?
It's like grade school. All the boys have to go to the gym and play dodgeball, while all the girls get to go to that secret gathering. :(
Covfefe!
The Bad Shepherd

gilraen wrote:
The Bad Shepherd wrote: "Sort of odd" or "bad?" Because if bad, I need to know for future survey attempts.
With a 0-10 scale, probably would have helped to have a better frame of reference for those middle points - like between 0 (never) and 10 (always) put a few more definitions (like, is 5 = sometimes? half the time?)
Ah, I get you. Originally I had it from 1-5, but the professor wanted 1-10 instead. I'll trust him on this one. :P

When the survey is done, I'll put up the questions. I would appreciate the critique for future surveys.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

The Bad Shepherd wrote:
"Sort of odd" or "bad?" Because if bad, I need to know for future survey attempts.

It would help (me) to know what you mean by "online", so maybe some clarification would be good.
I assume a mmorpg is an "online" game.
Does playing "Borderlands" through Steam with friends count as "online"? Because that seems more like playing over a LAN, just not necessarily all that local.

Question 2 - I'm not sure what falls into an answer category of "other", not that it mattered for my answer.

Questions 3 and 4 - since I game with friends, I don't have to make my gender known.
Also, the answer scale has 11 steps. Does that matter? If you get enough responses to try to break replies down into percentage groups, you'll need to remember that you'll have 9% groups, not 10%. Does that make sense?
0-10 = a grading scale of 11.
1-10 = a grading scale of 10.
If everybody answers 8 or less, you'll be looking at <= 72%, not <= 80%.

The last question requires that I guess. I no longer remember my answer. If my gaming friends treated me in a chauvinistic or sexist manner I wouldn't game with them.
An "NA" type of answer might be good. If I kept my gender "secret", I would have no basis for evaluating (unless playing with people claiming to be female). Similarly, since I only game with friends I don't have much basis for evaluating.

Letting males answer as well might provide greater insight. I am pretty sure there are men who game who claim to be female (or run female characters in rpgs).
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
The Bad Shepherd

Bad Demographic wrote:
The Bad Shepherd wrote:

It would help (me) to know what you mean by "online", so maybe some clarification would be good.
I assume a mmorpg is an "online" game.
Does playing "Borderlands" through Steam with friends count as "online"? Because that seems more like playing over a LAN, just not necessarily all that local.

Question 2 - I'm not sure what falls into an answer category of "other", not that it mattered for my answer.

Questions 3 and 4 - since I game with friends, I don't have to make my gender known.
Also, the answer scale has 11 steps. Does that matter? If you get enough responses to try to break replies down into percentage groups, you'll need to remember that you'll have 9% groups, not 10%. Does that make sense?
0-10 = a grading scale of 11.
1-10 = a grading scale of 10.
If everybody answers 8 or less, you'll be looking at <= 72%, not <= 80%.

The last question requires that I guess. I no longer remember my answer. If my gaming friends treated me in a chauvinistic or sexist manner I wouldn't game with them.
An "NA" type of answer might be good. If I kept my gender "secret", I would have no basis for evaluating (unless playing with people claiming to be female). Similarly, since I only game with friends I don't have much basis for evaluating.

I made it 0-10... wonderful. I'll have to remember that.

Yes, Borderlands counts. MMORPGs count. Any gaming online counts - except maybe Dark Souls, but I didn't want to put in a disclaimer for that. :/
Thanks for the feedback!

Letting males answer as well might provide greater insight. I am pretty sure there are men who game who claim to be female (or run female characters in rpgs).
"Shepard." -Wrex
stessier

Post by stessier »

Archinerd wrote:Out of curiosity, is there anyway we can see the questions without being a woman?
Sure - just hit next without selecting a gender. Or so I've heard. :ninja:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles