Some ideas for a Star Wars RPG game session

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Some ideas for a Star Wars RPG game session

Post by hentzau »

So on Thanksgiving we traditionally have a D&D game with old gaming buddies while I'm at my parents. This year I thought I would shake things up and run Star Wars instead. So I'm going to put together a short game, like 4 hours in length, nothing too deep, somewhat inspired by Star Wars Rebels.

What I'm thinking is that nobody knows each other, at most have a couple of characters know each other. Like in pairs (probably have about six players).

And I want to start in chaos. Time place a short period of time after the Battle of Yavin, Location...a settlement on some planet, not sure where. Somewhere in the outer rim. And the game starts with a full on Imperial assault on the settlement. I'm talking TIE bombers bombing the hell out of the place, TIE fighters screaming overhead, AT-ST's on the edge of town, and Stormtroopers in the streets. Have the PC's desperately fighting through the streets trying to escape some way, any way. So a few running firefights with Stormtroopers to make it to the spaceport to get to their ship (assuming that there's a smuggler in the group that has a ship). PCs meet up with each other as they fight through the streets, stay together for safety purposes. Their ships have been destroyed in the bombing runs. They find one locked docking bay that appears to be intact still, have to slice their way in to gain access. End act one.

Inside the docking bay they find a Transport ship of some kind. Appears relatively intact. They break in, and shortly after getting the doors open, stormtroopers come pouring into the bay and start firing on the ship. So they have to lift off right away. Cue thrilling escape from the planet blasting tie fighters and keeping the ship together portion of the adventure. My thoughts on this part are that the hyperspace nav computer is locked down with a jump coordinate already set. They can either take precious rounds (as they are being shot at) trying to unlock it, and then program a new jump destination, or wait fewer rounds while it processes and blind jump.

And that's where I run out of ideas. Where is the ship jumping to? I was operating under the assumption that either this ship, or something on it, was what the Empire was actually hunting for. So what's my MacGuffin in this case?

Character archetypes, looking at a smuggler/trader, a scout, a medic, a slicer, a soldier, and a mechanic. Don't remember the actual archetype names, don't have the books in front of me. Maybe have one of the be force sensitive, but not an actual force user. Still laboring under the idea that all of the Jedi are gone.

Thoughts, ideas?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
El Guapo

Re: Some ideas for a Star Wars RPG game session

Post by El Guapo »

Have you thought of a good, wacky comic relief sidekick NPC with a quasi-racist accent yet?
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

El Guapo wrote:Have you thought of a good, wacky comic relief sidekick NPC with a quasi-racist accent yet?
How about a droid with an Hispanic accent called L-GWP0?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

After the first hour, slowly reveal that they're actually playing Paranoia.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Will you have access to a computer? If so, give them a mood-setting intro. I've done it before, and it really puts people in the right frame of mind.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Will you have access to a computer? If so, give them a mood-setting intro. I've done it before, and it really puts people in the right frame of mind.
Yeah, was planning on using that.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Have you thought of a good, wacky comic relief sidekick NPC with a quasi-racist accent yet?
How about a droid with an Hispanic accent called L-GWP0?
Promising.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

What system? If you're using the FFG system there's an unofficial sourcebook for Rebels

http://rebels.d20radio.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote: And that's where I run out of ideas. Where is the ship jumping to? I was operating under the assumption that either this ship, or something on it, was what the Empire was actually hunting for. So what's my MacGuffin in this case?

Character archetypes, looking at a smuggler/trader, a scout, a medic, a slicer, a soldier, and a mechanic. Don't remember the actual archetype names, don't have the books in front of me. Maybe have one of the be force sensitive, but not an actual force user. Still laboring under the idea that all of the Jedi are gone.

Thoughts, ideas?
Maybe it doesn't matter where they jump. The real plot is that the empire is hunting a fugitive who, it turns out only once they're in hyperspace, has stowed away on their ship.

Or at least that's what she says is happening. Should they trust her? She's desperate for the group to take her to Kraptooine, but a successful intuition/perception/upskirt check reveals that she bears a tattoo of the Imperial Gestapo (or whatever they call it).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Getting closer to a fully fleshed out adventure here...

The ship the PCs commandeer belongs to a Rebel spy. He was on planet to accept stolen Imperial plans for something important (location of the shipyards that is building the Exectutor, perhaps? Dunno.) Once he got the data and was mining through it, he came across info of a Imperial mole highly placed in the Rebellion. Unfortunately, the protocol droid he had on board (a PROXY droid, like in The Force Unleashed) had a data overlay of the Imperial mole and programming kicked in that made the droid summon the Imperial Assault force to retrieve the data and kill the spy to prevent him from getting off planet and revealing both the identity of the mole and the location of the shipyard. The fight between the spy and the droid damaged the droid, so it is non-functional when the PCs arrive. The coordinates locked into the nav computer are to a secret rebel base where the spy was to rendezvous with Rogue Squadron and turn over the data to Wedge Antilles.

What would happen then will depend a lot on what the PCs did during their flight from [planet to be named later]. If they overrode the nav computer and end up somewhere else, not sure what will happen. They could possibly find the data in the computer, and figure out what it is, and know how important the info is to the rebellion. Then do...something.

If they repair the droid its primary programming will have kicked back in and it will know nothing about who damaged it and who killed the pilot. It knows they were retrieving data important to the rebellion, doesn't know what it is, and knows that the rendezvous location is locked into the nav computer but doesn't know where it leads. Because it's primary programming is back, it would encourage, nay, plead with the players to return to the rendezvous to turn over the data.

However, if the players do decide to do this, his overlay programming will start to come to the surface again, and he will do all he can to destroy the ship, and if he cannot do that, send the coordinates to the Empire of the location of the rendezvous once they arrive. Thinking of a HAL-9000 sort of thing, where his innate programming will conflict with his secondary programming, causing him to become erratic and deadly.

Now, what stats for the PROXY series of Protocol Droids?

Oh, and playing the FFG version.