Ticket to ride expansions - need quick advice

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Ticket to ride expansions - need quick advice

Post by Blackhawk »

The kids love Ticket to Ride, and I'm wanting to grab an expansion for Christmas. We already use the 1910. So, which one is best to add more choices and variety? I see Africa, Nordic Countries, and Asia on Amazon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Re: Ticket to ride expansions - need quick advice

Post by Smoove_B »

From what I understand, the Nordic Countries expansion works best for 2-3 players. I *thought* Asia and Africa were for 4+ people (ideally). Not sure if that helps. Still can't my daughter to play after she lost the first few games. She's a really, really sore loser. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote:The kids love Ticket to Ride, and I'm wanting to grab an expansion for Christmas. We already use the 1910. So, which one is best to add more choices and variety? I see Africa, Nordic Countries, and Asia on Amazon.
While it's not an expansion, Ticket To Ride - Europe includes several additional new gameplay elements over the original US version (like tunnels, ferries, and train stations), which definitely adds more choices and variety to the game. So I'd go with that if I were you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's good advice, but I should have mentioned that we sometimes play with a friend who owns Europe. Sorry.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, this is getting easier. Every copy of Heart of Africa ships from Japan and would be here sometime next year.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's some irony for you. :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I ended up going for the India/Sweden pack. There were a couple others that also looked good, but the third party Amazon prices weren't right.

Thanks for the input. This was very last-minute, and I needed to hurry if I want the stuff under the Well-Lit Holiday Shrub in time for Free Crap For Kids Day.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You'll be happy. I don't know what's in the India pack, but the Nordic one does indeed play better with 2 or 3, and it has some twists for the game mechanics.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Sorry I didn't see this sooner too, but you made a good choice. Switzerland is a special 2-3 only map while India is for 2-4. India is our favorite... it's a tight web of mostly short 1-3 car routes that gets very competitive. Unless we have 5 players it's our go-to choice. FWIW, we much prefer Europe for 5 players.

There's a new UK/Pennsylvania expansion that I'm anxious to try out. UK has some more advanced concepts to it, you need to purchase upgrade and technology cards before you can do certain things on the map. PA introduces a light stock market aspect to the game.