Question about survival/horror games like Amnesia, et. al.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

killbot737

Question about survival/horror games like Amnesia, et. al.

Post by killbot737 »

I see the market is saturated with these sorts of games now (along with *craft clones, but that's not my point. :)).

I can see the appeal of the genre, I experienced hours and hours of tension playing the Thief series - dodging craymen and haunts was absolutely terrifying. But to get to my point, I played that series on a CRT monitor that had an excellent color space. Black was BLACK because it meant the gun wasn't firing on that pixel. Even then I always played at night just to add to the atmosphere.

These days I wonder how would you get the same immersive experience? I see all these screenshots (of black, less black, turtlenecks, gray-black) but if you have an LCD monitor I can absolutely tell you it is not the same. LCD's are all backlit, and black is only black when contrasted against other colors. Even on the best LCD's I've seen when everything is dark all the muted colors washe out or you start to notice the backlight.

I also feel a little bad for the graphic artists who work on these games. They probably spend all this time making awesome textures and such for the games and you never even see them! Or maybe since they know it's all darkness they skimp on quality. A lot of the Thief textures looked like shit if you saw them in bright light. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
hepcat

Re: Question about survival/horror games like Amnesia, et. a

Post by hepcat »

Darker != pitch black. Check your gamma settings.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A good game will establish its conventions within the limits of technology. Amnesia isn't lacking because LCDs are different than CRTs. It doesn't require true black to be scary.

Gameplay is more than just screenshots.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Amnesia never tries to be completely black outside (if I recall correctly) one area. In low light, your eyes can play tricks on you and be more atmospheric than going pitch-black. There are some horror games that try to go the pitch-black route but they actually come across quite comical in comparison. When you can’t see anything you are pretty much reliant on jump scares, which are a cheap trick and will only work a couple times before they grow old.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

So you are telling me that Doom 3 wasn't just a darkness sim/gamma calibration app?

Mind.
Blown.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Post by Holman »

killbot737 wrote:So you are telling me that Doom 3 wasn't just a darkness sim/gamma calibration app?

Mind.
Blown.
It was the creepiest game, like your PC was infested by demons! If you played it with the lights off, you could actually the pixels... moving!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

killbot737 wrote:I see all these screenshots (of black, less black, turtlenecks, gray-black) but if you have an LCD monitor I can absolutely tell you it is not the same. LCD's are all backlit, and black is only black when contrasted against other colors. Even on the best LCD's I've seen when everything is dark all the muted colors washe out or you start to notice the backlight.

I also feel a little bad for the graphic artists who work on these games. They probably spend all this time making awesome textures and such for the games and you never even see them! Or maybe since they know it's all darkness they skimp on quality. A lot of the Thief textures looked like shit if you saw them in bright light. :)

I have the same problem with TV. I always assumed it was because of digital cable compression in non HD plus my eyes getting older.