Your Top 10 Most Played (Tabletop) Games

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Your Top 10 Most Played (Tabletop) Games

Post by coopasonic »

Inspired by a recent Dice Tower top 10. I was thinking about what games I have played most often. I don't track plays, so it will have to be a guesstimate. It's up to you if you count digital plays. It's easy for me, I don't have more than 3 digital plays of any board game (except chess where I have more than every other game combined probably by an order of magnitude).

I'll post my list this morning, after I mull it over.

Feel free to post actual or approximate counts of plays by your entries as I think that would be interesting as well. Again I will be guesstimating.

Also, I am excluding games I played as a kid when I had nothing better to do or this list would be dominated by stratego, pay day, monopoly, etc.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Re: Your Top 10 Most Played (Tabletop) Games

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Nice. I'll take some time and post mine here too. I won't count digital plays.
I am a super nerd and log my plays... So it should be fairly accurate.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, here it is. Apparently it only takes 6 plays to get on my top 10 most played list.

10 - Ticket To Ride (6) - probably the first hobby board game I really enjoyed (sorry Catan). A few plays at meetups, a few plays with family.

9 - Legendary: Marvel (6) - Strangely, this would get played more if I had less of it. Finding cards and shuffling and sorting and blah. A fun game otherwise!

8 - Flash Point: Fire Rescue (8) - My favorite co-op to teach and very thematic.

7 - Shadowrun: Crossfire (8) - So hard, but fun and the oldest kid likes it.

6 - Khet: The Laser Game (8) - Mostly on the list because I have had it for more than a decade. Yes, about 8 plays in over a decade...

5 - Letters From Whitechapel (10) - Some random guy introduced this to me at a board game meetup. It would be my favorite of all time if not for the play time.

4 - Zombicide (10) - The only game I have spent more money on would be Magic: The Gathering. I've sold all but Black Plague now and I am actually getting it played
again!

3 - Tash Kalar (12) - This is my favorite game. It only hasn't been played more because I don't get to board game meetups more and when I do two player games are
generally low on the priority list for others.

2 - Android: Netrunner (15) - I bought a lot of it, but was never very good at it. Eventually I realized I wasn't ever going to be good at it and sold it off.

1 - Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords (30) - Played through the entire campaign solo playing four characters including replaying half of it after a character death. Enjoyed it, but tired of it at the end.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:5 - Letters From Whitechapel (10) - Some random guy introduced this to me at a board game meetup. It would be my favorite of all time if not for the play time.
Dirty casual. :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Cool topic. I only got really back in to board games about 3/4 years ago, so my top played games likely represent more the order in which I purchased games rather than my most preferred games. I have no idea how many times I have actually played most of these games, but I'll try to list them in relative order.

1) Settlers of Catan - my first "adult" board game I purchased and the only one I had for 2 or 3 years. It got a lot of play time then, very little play time now.

2) Love Letter - Easy to teach and games are quick. Even got my dad to play this one.

3) 7 Wonders - the third game I purchased and one of the few I have that can accommodate up to 7 players. I still enjoy bringing it out.

4) Ultimate Werewolf - there was a time for a year or two that this would be brought out at every party. One time we played it with 35 people. It was sort of insane.

5) Ticket to Ride (all editions combined) - Even though I bought this rather recently, it has gotten a lot of play time. Easy to teach to new board gamers and a good game to play with my niece and nephews.

6) The Resistance: Avalon - More or less werewolf that can be played without a moderator and with fewer people. The fact that each game usually only lasts 15/20 minutes means that we would often play 3 or 4 games in a row. I'm kind of burned out on it now, though.

7) Five Tribes - maybe the 4th or 5th game I bought and still one of my favorites. I haven't gotten it to the table much in the last year because my gaming group doesn't like it as much as I do...

8) Ascension (all versions) - The 2nd game I bought. Played it a lot for the first year, but haven't really played it since.

Now we're getting into games that I've probably played fewer than 10 times, which makes the list a bit tougher...

9) Roll for the Galaxy - I've only had this for about a year, but have probably played it six or seven times. It helps that five people game play.

10) Castles of the Mad King Ludwig- I've had this game less than a year, but its gotten a good bit of play time. My group really likes the theme and it's a good bit different than any other game I have (well, excepting Suburbia which I just bought last month).
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hmm, this is going to be a little tough since I'm fairly new(ish) to the boardgame hobby and like to jump around from game to game, but here goes:

10. Ticket to Ride - One of the few non-co-op games that I really love. It's a cherished classic for a reason. I've taught this one to young and old, and everyone loves it. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it so I lose more often than I win, but I still have fun every time I play.

9. Castle Panic - I love tower defense games, so when I learned of a board game emulating tower defense I was all over it. I never bought the expansion, so I found the game too simple and put it up for a long time. However, it has recently found new life as an ideal game for my 6-year old daughter. I broke it out one night after she seemed bored with all the pre-school games we had lying around, and she absolutely loved it. It will also get new life when I introduce it to my weekly gaming group, who wants to try it as a light palate cleanser after our normal gaming sessions.

8. Elder Sign - I bought this game purely because I could never justify the time to set up and play Arkham Horror, even though I loved the theme. And while I don't find this one quite as fun as Arkham Horror, I still enjoyed it enough to play it a lot after release. Also one of the few board games that I also bought and played as an iOS app. I've never found it particularly difficult even though it uses dice rolls, but maybe I'm just super lucky. I guess I really need to pick up Eldritch Horror as my true Arkham Horror replacement.

7. Lord of the Rings: The LCG - This was my first living card game, and for the most part I really enjoyed it. It never went over really well with my game group, but I still break it out from time to time for solo play. I think its only downfall is that because it's an LCG, there are so many expansion and boosters and things that it can get overwhelming. I'm a bit of a completist, so I either want to be all in or not at all, and unless I wanted to shell out a few hundred dollars I'm never going to be all in with this game. The theme and artwork are so top-notch though, that I can't resist its allure.

6. Legendary Encounters: Alien - This was my first Legendary Encounters game, and I absolutely fell in love with the game system. It didn't hurt that I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise (yes, even Alien 3), so the theme was right up my alley. When I first bought it I had a serious case of buyer's remorse which lasted right up until the point I played it and realized it was awesome even as a solo game. This is one of the few games on the list that I still regularly play solo, though I'm really looking forward to introducing it to more people. Really challenging - I have yet to beat all four movies.

5. Pandemic Legacy - This one makes the list because even though you're playing through the story only once, you're playing between 12 and 24 game sessions. We're currently at 18 I think, which is more plays than many other games I've owned for years. Utterly fantastic game, and probably my single favorite board gaming experience of all time. I especially enjoyed it as a Pandemic veteran playing with other Pandemic veterans, because it gave us a chance to experience the core game play we all loved with a lot of unexpected elements and dynamic win conditions.

4. Memoir '44 - Little did I know when I picked this game up on a whim that it would become one of my favorites. I'm not a particularly big fan of war games in general, but this took the theme and concepts of a strategic war game and distilled it into a simple formula that could be easily picked up by anyone. My friend loved it so much that he bought his own copy, though we still have not yet put both sets together to do the giant D-Day scenario. We need to get around to that sometime. Great game that we bring out often when it's a 2-player night.

3. Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - I was dying for this game to hit mass market release because it was sold out forever and everybody was raving over it. When I finally got my hands on it, I was not disappointed. The difficulty, like Ghost Stories, was punishingly brutal, but that just made me return to it again and again. We wound up beating four of the six included scenarios with me and a buddy, but my new weekly gaming group of four intends to run through all of it from scratch. I put it at number three because while in my estimation it may not currently have as many plays as some farther down the list, it almost certainly will meet and exceed them over the next few weeks.

2. Ghost Stories - This was the second co-op I bought after I felt we had mastered Pandemic, and boy were we humbled. To this day this game is known as the "cast iron bitch" in our gaming circle. When I first bought it, we played about 5 or 6 times under a misinterpretation of the rules that actually made the game MORE difficult, so you can imagine how frustrating it was. When we did finally get the rules straight it still took several plays to defeat it. I really love this game but have a healthy fear of it.

1. Pandemic - I had about a few "adult" games before Pandemic - Settlers of Cataan, Carcasonne, and Ticket to Ride - but this was my first co-op. That kicked off a real love of co-op games to the point that it's almost all I play anymore (as you can tell from the rest of the list!) I can actually thank this game for my current gaming group. I was on storm team at work and we had a freak winter storm actually snow us in for three days. Luckily I had brought Pandemic along just in case, and I spent hours playing this with my co-workers. One of the guys loved the game so much he went out and bought it along with all the expansions, and he is the one that I eventually formed my weekly Pandemic: Legacy game night with.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It depends on what day it is, really. :whistle:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: 6. Legendary Encounters: Alien - This was my first Legendary Encounters game, and I absolutely fell in love with the game system. It didn't hurt that I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise (yes, even Alien 3), so the theme was right up my alley. When I first bought it I had a serious case of buyer's remorse which lasted right up until the point I played it and realized it was awesome even as a solo game. This is one of the few games on the list that I still regularly play solo, though I'm really looking forward to introducing it to more people. Really challenging - I have yet to beat all four movies.
New expansion coming in July!

Also, even more exciting for me, Legendary Encounters: Firefly is releasing at Gencon this year (supposedly).
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Also, even more exciting for me, Legendary Encounters: Firefly is releasing at Gencon this year (supposedly).

:shock: :shock: :shock:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mash up all three. Mal in a power loader against the queen while the Predator goes after Wash. Cue Jayne screaming, "Game over, man!"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

1) Settlers of Catan - I feel strange putting this at the top of the list since I haven't played it in years but we played this every weekend in college.

2) Diplomacy
- Ditto.

3) Mansions of Madness
- This became a big hit with my group from the first time we played it. I own all of the boxed expansions and all but one of the stand-alone scenarios.

4) Chaos in the Old World - Probably two dozen or so plays of this one. It was my favorite game for quite a long time.

5) Lords of Waterdeep - Just a fun lightweight game that accommodates a lot of people with a fast playtime.

- - Big drop in plays here - -

6) Star Wars: Imperial Assault - Much like Mansions of Madness, this was a pretty big hit with my group and we are working our way through the campaigns.

7) Terra Mystica - The game that is loved by half my friends and hated by the other half. We would probably play it more but one person threatens to leave if I bring it out.

8) Mysterium - Not really a favorite of mine but it supports 7 people and plays in about an hour and a half, so it gets brought out when the group is large.

9) Cthulhu Wars - Wonderful chaos. This will probably get played more once I finaly get the 6 player map and another faction.

10) Blood Rage - I think this is the newest game on the list and it has quickly risen through the ranks. Almost everyone enjoys this one.

Games I wish I would play more:

Forbidden Stars: I love this game but 4 player max and long play time with 4 means it almost never makes it to my table.

Eclipse: Another game I love that takes forever to play.
Last edited by Lordnine on Wed May 11, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was thinking about what games I have played most often. I don't track plays,
I have no idea so I guess I'll think about games that have stood out and getting broken out year after year. No order:

Titan

Puerto Rico

Wizard

...of Catan

Dominion (though I mainly play it because others break it out)

After that it's hard to say. Games come and go. I'd love to break out and play many an "old" board game but the time and interest isn't there from other people and the time and energy isn't there for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote:
hepcat wrote:Also, even more exciting for me, Legendary Encounters: Firefly is releasing at Gencon this year (supposedly).

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Also Legendary Encounters: Big Trouble in Little China, allegedly coming in August.

On topic - I'd really need to think about this one. I'm not the kind of person that plays the same game over and over and over again...which is a bit of a problem (for my wallet). What I've played the most of isn't necessarily what I enjoy the most. I'll definitely look at my shelves and see what I can come up with.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, that slipped under the radar for me.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Great topic. Might be fun to do other top 10 lists between us as well, might be fun. Next up could be our individual top ten games of all time (which for me would vary a lot from this list).

I record my plays (because I am a huge nerd). I enjoy all of these games to some degree, but they are overall not my top ten games. Most of them get played a lot for a variety of reasons, short play time, easy to introduce to other people. I like mid-length deeper games but they are a lot harder to get to the table.

10. Love letter (18). Easy to carry around, really quick to play, incredibly accessible and easy to teach. Great little filler game.

9. Dominion (20). The original deck builder, which is why it is this high up. Fun game, but I have bored of it so it doesn't get played that much.

8. Crokinole (24). Up till now I have only played on other people's boards. Although now I finally have my own (just arrived today!). This game is fantastic, great dexterity game.

7. Lords of waterdeep (26). Accessible, fun, easy worker placement game. The expansions take it to a whole new level. Also scales very well.

6. Agricola: All creatures big and small (34). Mine and my wife's go to quick 2 player game. Very quick, lots of strategy, fantastic 2 player experience.

5. Carcasonne (35). Mostly this high because some good friends love this game, and we play it a lot with then. But it has the traits of many games on this list, easy to teach, lots of variety with expansions (too much with too many), short play length, and plenty of strategy.

4. Small World (43). Accessible, and tons of variety with the expansions. Scales better at every number than just about any other game I own. Beautiful artwork, and lots of fun to play. Easy to teach, and good short length.

3. Ticket to Ride (49). Undoubtedly my wife's favorite game. This is across all of the different expansions including the original, all 5 map expansions, Marlin, Europe, Germany, and Nordic Countries. I have to say I enjoy it quite a bit too. With all of the different expansions there is a great variety here. They each add something new so it doesn't really get old. Also I still feel it is the ultimate gateway game. Easy, but plenty of strategy. Also it scales incredibly well (when you consider all of the expansions).

2. Zombicide (62). Actually not one of my favorite games, but it hits the table for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is I can always get non-gamers interested in Zombicide. The theme is accessible and interesting, it is cooperative, it's incredibly easy to understand, and people love the huge number of survivors. But... I am burned out of this game. I won't bring it to the table if I can help it now. I own way too much of it, and I am even thinking of off-loading it.

1. Star Wars X-Wing (69). My favorite game of all time, and it shows with the number of plays. If I can play any game, it will almost always be X-wing. So much variety with all of the different ships, it's fun to think of lists even when you are not playing, and there are so many different ways to play. Incidentally I also have spent the very most on this game by far.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I don't record plays of games, but I can give a good estimate. Some of the order may be skewed, but this is the list of games I have played a lot. And I'm assuming that we can't include tabletop miniatures games, that would change this list a bit.

10. Heroscape - played a lot of this back in the day. Still have all of my old HS stuff down in my basement. Actually, that statement is true for almost all of my games.

9. Love Letter - Nice quick filler game, so it has gotten a lot of plays

8. Pairs - Ditto

7. Memoir '44 - probably my favorite 2 player game.

6. Pandemic Legacy - Still playing through this one

5. The Great Dalmuti - Went through a phase where we would spend hours playing this one.

4. Empire Builder/North American Rails - We did a ton of train games ages ago. Need to revisit this one.

3. Shadows of Brimstone - We played a ton of this when it first came out, stopped when I wanted to wait for the additional material. If I'm lucky I'll see it in a couple of years.

2. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Still need to finish this one out.

1. Crokinole - I think this one comes as a surprise to nobody
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im old and no know one to game so I have only one and its old...Monopoly :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Daehawk wrote:Im old and no know one to game so I have only one and its old...Monopoly :)
Despite what people say about monopoly on bgg I can still enjoy a game of out on occasion.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Im old and no know one to game so I have only one and its old...Monopoly :)
Despite what people say about monopoly on bgg I can still enjoy a game of out on occasion.
X(9) likes monopoly so I have played it a bit recently. I still hate it. I'd rather play Pay Day. Z(6) likes The Game of Life. Gods, that game is the worst thing ever. Almost as bad as the real thing. Luckily he also likes Powerboats, which is my numero uno racing game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I don't track plays either, but I know what the top 2 are.

1. Blokus - We played this nearly everyday in college for at least 3 years. Most days we played more than 1 game too.
2. RA - We played this nearly everyday at work for at least 3 years during lunch. If we didn't play this, we sometimes played Blokus.
-We wore the numbers off of some of the pieces and used sharpie to re-write them on more than once.

Magic, Love Letter, Netrunner, Necromunda, Carcasonne, El Grande and Risk are all probably in the top 10 too, but I can't say for sure.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'll have to break it down by time.

In the past 15 years or so I've gamed mostly with my family (wife and two boys) and my extended family.

10. Shadows over Camelot - We never really got into this. Either it felt like we were communicating too much and couldn't really lose or we didn't communicate and felt frustrated.
9. Sentinals of the Multiverse - A really fun game when my sons and I get to play but its actually owned by my brother so it is fairly low on the list when ranked by plays.
8 Carseccone - An old one but great. Still gets brought out occasionally.
7 Formula De - For one winter this was a big deal in our house.
6 St. Petersburg - I love the theme of this game and would play it more but no one else in the family really liked it so it gets left on the shelf.
5 Small World - Another huge hit for a while but without staying power. My boys loved it but we burned out on it after one winter.
4 Dominions - This is one son's favorite game. I find it oddly frustrating because I've never figured out a way to really come back once you fall behind.
3 Ticket to Ride - This one lasted for multiple years but my wife burned out and we moved on to other games.

These last two are far ahead of everything before them in number of plays. Both get put in zip lock bags and taken on camping trips and other vacations that might have down time.

2 San Juan
1 Bohnanza! - The bean game!

If I expanded the timeline to include time in college the list would change. I'd have to add tons of games of Up Front! (I sometimes wonder why no one has picked this up as an app), Cosmic Encounters and Modern Naval Battles. However the real thing is that Strat-O-Matic baseball would skyrocket to the top of the list.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Played a lot of Modern Naval Battles too, but not as much as it's smaller, pluckier ancestor, Naval War. Great little beer and pretzels game. Lost Battalion just reprinted Enemy In Sight, I should talk to them about Naval War too.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I rolled those two into one entry since I wasn't sure anyone else remembered them. BTW, it would be hilarious if you were one of the people I played with at UF or Rice.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Madmarcus wrote:I rolled those two into one entry since I wasn't sure anyone else remembered them. BTW, it would be hilarious if you were one of the people I played with at UF or Rice.
Wasn't I. But I really do recommend the reprint of Enemy in Sight. Beautiful job on the reprint. And I just looked it up, apparently they reprinted this 10 years ago! I've hung out of the LBG booth numerous times, first time I remember seeing this!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't think that I can "play".

First, I'm relatively new to board gaming. Second, I'm not sure I have more than 10 games... yet.

In terms of number of plays, I'd probably have to go with Sentinels of the Multiverse (especially if I count digital games). Though for time spent, Shadows of Brimstone (via Tabletop Simulator) would take the lead.

The rest of my games have mostly only been played 1-3 times. With friends, Zombicide/B-Sieged are most likely to hit the table because they are easy to explain/grasp.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A top 5, just based on my rough sense.

1. Forbidden Desert/Forbidden Island (good with the kid)
2. Kremlin (never more than once a year, but I think I first played it in the early 90s)
3. Boggle (by far the most popular game at Thanksgiving with my cousins)
4. Galaxy Trucker
5. X-Wing Miniatures (although most of those plays were with the kid and involved totally disregarding most of the rules)
Gato

Post by Gato »

Lifetime my list should probably look like this
10 - Starfleet Batttle
9 - Arkham horror/ Eldritch Horror / Elder Sign
8 - Civilization
7 - Wooden Ship Iron Men
6 - Diplomacy
5 - Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader
4 - Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader
3 - Dungeon & Dragons 2nd edition
2 - Risk
1 - Monopoly

From the past 2 years, i haven't played 10 different games

7 - Combat Commander
6 - Flying color
5 - Robinson Crusoe
4 - Pathfinder- Adventure card game
3 - Lord of the ring LCG
2 - Advanced Squad Leader
1 - Arkham horror/ Eldritch Horror / Elder Sign
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Lots of games on peoples top ten lists that I'm interested in, or at least would like to try at least once.

Diplomacy, advanced squad leader, galaxy trucker. Fun to see what everyone else is playing. I'm enjoying reading the lists that have less than 10 just as much. Pretty interesting.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Lots of games on peoples top ten lists that I'm interested in, or at least would like to try at least once.

Diplomacy,
Well, it's been years since I've played it but I would be willing to run a web-game of this if we could get at-least 5 players. Would work perfectly well at a rate of like two turns a week.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lordnine wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:Lots of games on peoples top ten lists that I'm interested in, or at least would like to try at least once.

Diplomacy,
Well, it's been years since I've played it but I would be willing to run a web-game of this if we could get at-least 5 players. Would work perfectly well at a rate of like two turns a week.
I'd be up for that.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Most of my board game playing days were high school and college:

Chess
Axis & Allies
Stratego
Broadsides & Boarding Parties
Monopoly
Zombies!!!
Conquest of the Empires
Risk
Life
Fortress America
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lassr wrote: Chess
Stratego
Oh yeah, those two are probably in my top 10 too.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If the topic were top 10 games you set-up but never finish, #1 would easily be Axis & Allies.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If the topic were top 10 games you set-up but never finish, #1 would easily be Axis & Allies.
In college my friend and I would play the game every Saturday morning. Take about 7 hours. Did this for a while, then we started playing by email, we each had a board at home and we would do our moves and email the results.

After about 20 plays we had to stop because we had tried all the strategies over and over and it started coming down to the luck of the roll.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well now that we've done this list... I would be interested in more top 10 lists from the OO gaming community. Anyone else interested? Or top 10ish, meaning if you only have 2,3 whatever number, that's fine too. We could do top 10 favorite games of all time next.