So, going to a gaming convention all last-minute like.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

So, going to a gaming convention all last-minute like.

Post by Blackhawk »

A friend of mine from Indy is running a gaming convention in St. Louis in a few weeks, and due to some last minute scheduling stuff he found himself in need of some help, mostly with the driving due to an injury. In exchange, I get to be there for the convention with admission, room, and board all provided for me.

It isn't a huge convention, supposedly less than a hundred people. It is the fill-in for Fear the Con (associated with the Fear the Boot podcast), which is taking a break this year. It will be mostly RPGs with some board gaming mixed in.

I've never been to a gaming convention. I'm going to be fairly out of my element. What should I expect? Any tips on what I should take other than the obvious overnight bag and clean clothes?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Re: So, going to a gaming convention all last-minute like.

Post by Smoove_B »

Hand sanitizer. I carry a small bottle with me when we attend our summer convention and am borderline OCD about use. I daresay it's mandatory. I'd also recommend some type of small plastic or metal container for water. Know when to walk away. At some point you will get overwhelmed (I always do). Sometimes just leaving the convention for 30 minutes and going for a short walk outside or away from the crowds or general noise will do wonders.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Blackhawk wrote: It isn't a huge convention, supposedly less than a hundred people.
That's not a huge number of people at all. You've probably been in movie theaters with more people.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote:A friend of mine from Indy is running a gaming convention in St. Louis in a few weeks, and due to some last minute scheduling stuff he found himself in need of some help, mostly with the driving due to an injury. In exchange, I get to be there for the convention with admission, room, and board all provided for me.

It isn't a huge convention, supposedly less than a hundred people. It is the fill-in for Fear the Con (associated with the Fear the Boot podcast), which is taking a break this year. It will be mostly RPGs with some board gaming mixed in.

I've never been to a gaming convention. I'm going to be fairly out of my element. What should I expect? Any tips on what I should take other than the obvious overnight bag and clean clothes?
You might consider bringing clean clothes for other people.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

There's some decent suggestions here from GeekDad:
GeekDad.com wrote:Enlarge Image

Here’s what’s in the bag:
  1. Notebook
  2. Pill case
  3. Business cards
  4. Purell
  5. Snacks
  6. Lanyard
  7. Selfie Stick
  8. Lens wipes
  9. HTC Re Camera
  10. Cough drops
  11. Pens
  12. Charging cables
  13. Water bottle
  14. Moleskine backpack
  15. Name tags
  16. Tissues
  17. Battery pack
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Archinerd wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: It isn't a huge convention, supposedly less than a hundred people.
That's not a huge number of people at all. You've probably been in movie theaters with more people.
That's OctoCon!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hentzau wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
That's OctoCon!
It's like Octocon or it is Octocon? I'm starting to think I may have missed an invite. :?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My list for GenCon/Origins:
Water bottle
Snacks - granola bars
Comfortable shoes
Band aids
Med box - aspirin, nasal, stomach (gas/digestion) pills
Deodorant
Toothbrush and mouthwash
Hairbrush
Extra shirts
Carry bag/satchel
Extra bag to bring back purchases/freebies and store stuff at hotel
Sherpa (aka hepcat)

Gaming supplies -- paper, pencils, dice bag, miniatures, games/rules/adventures!

If you're running a game or focusing intently, your body might kick into overdrive and sweat from the adrenaline rush. That's why you should plan to use a lot more deodorant and water than usual. An extra shirt may help. When it gets overwhelming, take a step back or break if you can.

Conventions will challenge your time for eating, sleeping, relaxing and medical needs. You will likely walk and concentrate too much. Water and food are critical, followed by physical comfort and hygiene. One good meal a day helps, as does packing a few non-caffeinated beverages for when you get back to the hotel.

But you'll likely have an incredible time that will pass far too fast. Accept you can't see and play everything and you'll be happier. The sherpa to share the load helps, too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bring whatever you'd bring for a weekend in St. Louis. You don't need much extra for the con except maybe snacks. For everything else, there's Walgreens.

What is the venue?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Every time I've been to GenCon, I've spent way more time eating and drinking beer with friends than playing games.

It's possible that I've been doing it wrong.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: What is the venue?
I'm not sure. Convention space of some sort. Like I said, this was a last minute thing. My friend's boyfriend had to back out at the last minute due to some last minute things, so I haven't had much time to prepare. Luckily, I have been listening to the Fear the Boot podcast off and on for several years (it is a great RPG podcast, by the way), so I won't be completely out of place.

While most of it wasn't recent, I have done enough traveling in my life to not have any issues with the normal stuff. It was the con-specific stuff that I wasn't sure about. Water (a given because of my mouth), snacks, hand sanitizer, and notebook are all good ideas. I assume I should bring my own dice and writing materials (and I won't be running anything myself.) Is having a small carry-with bag a good idea? It would certainly make it easier to lug the stuff around.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes, a side pack will be very helpful.

Bring your own dice and notepad if you plan on doing any RPG events. People get very touchy about their dice.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The more stuff you bring, the more stuff you have to worry about.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Someone is running a homebrew Warhammer 40k/My Little Pony mashup... :shock:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Embrace your inner Bronie and join in.
Or, embrace your inner Bronie so hard you snap it's tiny spine.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:Someone is running a homebrew Warhammer 40k/My Little Pony mashup... :shock:
Blood for the Nightmare Moon God!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually:
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only discord. It has been 10,000 years since the Sisters' Schism, when Warmistress Luna betrayed the Imperium of Equestria as Nightmare Moon, Champion of Chaos. The God-Empress of Ponykind banished Luna and ended the war, but her terrible wounds imprisoned her on the Golden Throne in Holy Canterlot. Now Twilight Sparkle of the Solar Knights Chapter of Equinoughts, the Empress’ space marines, must defend the planet Semper Liber from the prophesized return of Nightmare Moon. At her side is the Safe Guard, a collection of Equinoughts from many Chapters, brought together by the Inquisition to defend the Imperium from the alien, the witch, and the traitor.
It actually sounds hilarious, although I'm not in that particular one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wooden clogs are great for conventions. Sure, they're impractical, but they are great conversation starters.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:Wooden clogs are great for conventions. Sure, they're impractical, but they are great conversation starters.
They're OK if there is a lot of carpeting. Just be careful in tiled bathrooms; no leverage. Carry a pair of galoshes and you should be fine though.

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
hepcat wrote:Wooden clogs are great for conventions. Sure, they're impractical, but they are great conversation starters.
They're OK if there is a lot of carpeting. Just be careful in tiled bathrooms; no leverage. Carry a pair of galoshes and you should be fine though.
Mmm. When you take the galoshes off you'll touch germs from the bathroom floor. I suggest wearing mittens while handling galoshes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Just be careful in tiled bathrooms; no leverage.
You definitely don't want to clog the bathroom.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Just be careful in tiled bathrooms; no leverage.
You definitely don't want to clog the bathroom.
Bathroom clogs always get a bum rap.

Archinerd wrote:
Mmm. When you take the galoshes off you'll touch germs from the bathroom floor. I suggest wearing mittens while handling galoshes.
Yeah and a mitten pouch is a necessity. Although one of those duty belt forensic latex glove pouches works too.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like seeing Hentzau at Gencon as he always looks so nice in his plaid poodle skirt.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Yeah and a mitten pouch is a necessity. Although one of those duty belt forensic latex glove pouches works too.

I've actually got a couple of those sitting in my drawer. They don't match my shoes, though.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Blackhawk wrote:Actually:
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only discord. It has been 10,000 years since the Sisters' Schism, when Warmistress Luna betrayed the Imperium of Equestria as Nightmare Moon, Champion of Chaos. The God-Empress of Ponykind banished Luna and ended the war, but her terrible wounds imprisoned her on the Golden Throne in Holy Canterlot. Now Twilight Sparkle of the Solar Knights Chapter of Equinoughts, the Empress’ space marines, must defend the planet Semper Liber from the prophesized return of Nightmare Moon. At her side is the Safe Guard, a collection of Equinoughts from many Chapters, brought together by the Inquisition to defend the Imperium from the alien, the witch, and the traitor.
It actually sounds hilarious, although I'm not in that particular one.
Shades of ButtStallion!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of the games I was signed up for got bumped, so I ended up taking a slot in My Little 40K: Friendship is Heresy.

That means I have about a day and a half in which to familiarize myself with both Warhammer 40k lore and My Little Pony lore.

Tomorrow is going to be a confusing day.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YouTube is your friend.

Would you prefer:
a) The Party Cannon of the Super Party Pony, Pinky Pie? (In pink)
B) The Sonic Rainboom of the Super Awesomest Pony of All Time, Rainbow Dash? (In blue)

Or mix your geek genres even further by asking for Cheese Sandwich (the Wierd Al Pony) and take no substitutes, except for maybe Dr. Whooves (Dr. Who) or Discord (Chaos/Q).

Can't wait for the AAR!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote:
Would you prefer:
a) The Party Cannon of the Super Party Pony, Pinky Pie? (In pink)
B) The Sonic Rainboom of the Super Awesomest Pony of All Time, Rainbow Dash? (In blue)

Or mix your geek genres even further by asking for Cheese Sandwich (the Wierd Al Pony) and take no substitutes, except for maybe Dr. Whooves (Dr. Who) or Discord (Chaos/Q).
Don't make eye contact. Don't make eye contact.

I watched episodes 1 & 2 of MLP on Netflix yesterday. I began reading through the 'lore' chapter of the one copy of the 40k rulebook I own (it is a 1999 edition I picked up at Half-Price Books a couple of years ago for $2.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have 7 and 9 year old girls. My Little Pony was one of their better TV shows. Now Strawberry Shortcake...the only redeeming factor was Robot Chicken's Bitch Pudding skits.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Blackhawk wrote:One of the games I was signed up for got bumped, so I ended up taking a slot in My Little 40K: Friendship is Heresy.

That means I have about a day and a half in which to familiarize myself with both Warhammer 40k lore and My Little Pony lore.

Tomorrow is going to be a confusing day.
I eagerly await your impressions.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I leave in the morning. My sparkle cannon is loaded, and I'm packed.

I'm nervous as hell. That's just a me thing - doing this is really pushing my comfort zone, and by 'pushing', I mean 'vaporizing.' What's more, I'm going to need a couple of days, minimum, to hermit after I get back to get my anxiety levels down to normal, and I'm not going to get them, as I will have the kids for seven days starting the next morning. Still, it will be good memories.

My current schedule is to drive up to Saint Louis tomorrow morning and get checked in. Friday and Saturday are the scheduled games, then we'll drive back Sunday.

My itinerary:

Slot 1: Fri, Jun 3, 2016 9:00 AM - Fri, Jun 3, 2016 1:00 PM
Danger Patrol

The Earth was destroyed 50 years ago in the atomic wars. Just before the end, hundreds of rocket ships escaped Earth. Most of them went to Mars, where the richest man in the Solar System, millionaire Hamilton Hawks, had built a giant utopian “city of the future”—called Rocket City.
You are a member of the Danger Patrol, an elite crime-fighting force in Rocket City. The game will be played in the style of a serialized dimestore piece of pulp fiction from the 1950s. The game is designed to be fairly tongue in cheek and campy. Perfect for Saturday Morning gaming!

Find the game here for free: http://www.dangerpatrol.com/

Slot 2: Fri, Jun 3, 2016 2:00 PM - Fri, Jun 3, 2016 6:00 PM
HarnMaster: Ambush, A Question of Honor

Stopping banditry is normally a good thing, but when it causes friction between two powerful churches...things get a bit more complicated.

Slot 3: Fri, Jun 3, 2016 7:00 PM - Fri, Jun 3, 2016 11:00 PM
Shadowrun 5th Edition - One-Shot

Great opportunity for all levels. Characters can be provided if you don't have one.

Slot 4: Sat, Jun 4, 2016 9:00 AM - Sat, Jun 4, 2016 1:00 PM
Home Stretch (Savage Worlds)

500,000gps, that’s a lot of coin. So when the King offered a reward that big for the rescue of his daughter it didn’t take a great deal of convincing to get the old gang back together.

It took two weeks to track her to Ventarus. A city where monsters from legend walk side by side with peasants and kings. The City Guard and every two bit criminal were looking to cash in. And the city was crawling with bounty hunters. You're sure you saw the Wachowski brothers last week and there's a rumor that Zelisaura (a freaking Gorgon!) is in the hunt.

And then you found her! In a dark and foreboding temple deep under the city you stopped Anaraxith the Lich King from cutting her heart out on an alter of skulls.

Now the princess lies before you rendered unconscious by some evil magic or foul poison. Can you get her out of the city, past the City Watch, the thugs, and the bounty hunters? Do you have what it takes to run the final gauntlet to collect your reward and retire fat and happy?

Slot 5: Sat, Jun 4, 2016 2:00 PM - Sat, Jun 4, 2016 6:00 PM
Star Wars: Revolt of the Peons

It is a period without collective bargaining. A small band of Imperial support staff aboard the Death Star, attending the wake of a co-worker who died falling off a three-foot wide metal walkway with no guard rails, decide to take action. As word filters down that the Death Star is heading towards the depressingly white-collar world of Alderaan, a plan is hatched to leave their death-trap of a workplace and defect to the Alliance. But even as they plot their escape, the Deputy Subhead of Maintenance Personnel waits, a stack of Official Imperial Reprimand forms awaiting his signature...

Slot 6: Sat, Jun 4, 2016 7:00 PM - Sat, Jun 4, 2016 11:00 PM
My Little 40K--Friendship is Heresy

A tongue-in-cheek game exploring the first episode of Friendship is Magic as Warhammer 40K Space Marines, using Monte Cook's Cypher System.
For slot 1, I've read the free Danger Patrol rules. It looks fantastic.

Slot 2, Harnmaster. I've never played. I read a brief description of it online.

Slot 3, Shadowrun 5e. I've only played a few games, all clear back in 2nd edition. I am familiar with the basic setting, though.

Slot 4, Savage Worlds. I picked this one for a reason. It is the first game of the day after a late night and the first one of the third day when I'll probably be getting a little edgy. I've run two Savage Worlds campaigns, played on two others, and have run a number of one-shots in the system. I figure playing a system I know would be a good way to get things rolling.

Slot 5, Star Wars. I have no idea what system this will be run in.

Slot 6, My Little 40k, Friendship is Heresy. I've read the Lore section of the third edition book and I watched both episodes that the game is inspired by. I haven't played with the Cypher System, but it looks interesting.

So, off to the races I go.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Best of luck. Step away when you need to.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

These campaign settings are hilarious. I love the subtitle "Friendship is Heresy" on the Warpony 40K setting. And the Imperial worksafety one is great too.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I predict that Blackhawk is having a fantastic time. :D
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:I predict that Blackhawk is having a fantastic time. :D
I, however, predict that Blackhawk isn't leaving for another hour and a half.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:
hepcat wrote:I predict that Blackhawk is having a fantastic time. :D
I, however, predict that Blackhawk isn't leaving for another hour and a half.
You're probably having a fantastic time preparing to leave, however.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I predict that Blackhawk has 30 minutes remaining to decide whether he should bother to find a travel-size bottle or just take the whole thing of shampoo. And will it leak? Should her pack it in a plastic bag just in case?

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I predict that Blackhawk walked into a room, tried to remember what it is that he came into the room for, couldn't do it, and then walked back out of the room, then remembered what it was that he went into the room for, and then went back into that room and picked up the relevant item.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I predict that Blackhawk has 30 minutes remaining to decide whether he should bother to find a travel-size bottle or just take the whole thing of shampoo. And will it leak? Should her pack it in a plastic bag just in case?
I, however, predict that Blackhawk has kept his head shaved since '95, and didn't bother with the shampoo at all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote:I predict that Blackhawk walked into a room, tried to remember what it is that he came into the room for, couldn't do it, and then walked back out of the room, then remembered what it was that he went into the room for, and then went back into that room and picked up the relevant item.
I, however, predict that Blackhawk was too busy playing Overwatch to bother to leave the room in search of sundries.