Weekly Top 10: Your Top 10 Tabletop Games of All Time

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Weekly Top 10: Your Top 10 Tabletop Games of All Time

Post by coopasonic »

The top 10 most played game list went over pretty well and chrisoc13 is asking for more.

What are your top 10 (or however many you want, but rank ordered!) games?

I must mull for a bit before posting mine.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Re: Weekly Top 10: Your Top 10 Tabletop Games of All Time

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This will end in tears, won't it?
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I like making lists…

My order changes pretty fast but right now it would look something like:

1. Eclipse
2. Terra Mystica
3. Star Wars: Imperial Assault
4. Forbidden Stars
5. Caverna
6. Blood Rage
7. Mansions of Madness
8. Lords of Waterdeep
9. Cthulhu Wars
10. Dead of Winter

Honorable mention goes to Scythe, which despite not being officially out, I have played a lot already and I could see moving to a top 5 slot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish Mansions of Madness had struck a chord with me. But all it ever did was annoy me thanks to the set up/break down time and the crappy first edition with ridiculous errors. :x
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

See how much more flexible I have become? Additionally, I haven't put together my list yet as work is pretty busy right now, but Mage Wars may not even be on it... and 2 years ago it was my #1... interesting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:I wish Mansions of Madness had struck a chord with me. But all it ever did was annoy me thanks to the set up/break down time and the crappy first edition with ridiculous errors. :x
Check out Imperial Assault. It’s more polished, takes less time to setup and fills a very similar niche for my group of friends. Also, it has a persistent narrative with player stats which is pretty cool. I actually think it’s even made by the same designer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Too bad they don't apply the mechanics to a different theme. The allure of MoM was that it was Lovecraft and horror. :cry:
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:Too bad they don't apply the mechanics to a different theme. The allure of MoM was that it was Lovecraft and horror. :cry:
Might want to check out The Others when it comes out. Looks more on the action horror side of things but appears to share some similarities.

Baring that, maybe get someone else to try and host MoM? I think it's a game where the person in charge of the game could definitely make or break it. I personally love being the Keeper, I’ve even run the game a couple times for people on Table Top Simulator.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

10 Powerboats
9 Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension
8 Evolution
7 Shadowrun: Crossfire
6 Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
5 Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
4 Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
3 Flash Point: Fire Rescue
2 Letters from Whitechapel
1 Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll only post the ones I own to make it easier on hepcat:

1. Eclipse - a perfect mix of economics and 4X in space!
2. Race for the Galaxy (followed by Roll for the Galaxy) - I love combos!
3. Seasons - great mix of dice resource acquisition
4. Terra Mystica - perhaps the perfect euro mix
5. Mage Wars - tactical Magic the Gathering, and I love it despite not playing often
6. Lords of Waterdeep - streamlined worker placement
7. Alien Frontiers (followed by Kingsburg) - elegant mixes of dice placement
8. Twilight Struggle - very thinky, but rewarding
9. Skull & Bones - bluffing distilled to its core
10. Dead of Winter/Battlestar Galactica - deductive storytelling
11. Arkham Horror/Cosmic Encounter - early Origins/Octocon classics

Favorites that missed the cut:
Pandemic: Legacy (didn't own)
7 Wonders/Ticket to Ride/Carcassone/Citadels
Axis & Allies (college)/Talisman (high school)
Star Realms/Pairs (card games)
X-Wing (miniatures)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

In fairness, the last time Coop did this it was only top game, not top 10.
Also, after having looked back things have shifted a bit.

This order subject to change at any moment.

1. King of Siam
2. Twilight Struggle
3. El Grande
4. Ra
5. Blokus
6. Patchwork
7. Thunder Alley
8. Princes of the Renaissance
9. Napoleon's Triumph
10. Love Letter

There are also a few games that I haven't yet played that I think could bump some of these. I'm looking at you Churchill.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hmm. My main criteria for this one is "if someone asked me to play this game, would I hesitate at all?" Pandemic: Legacy wouldn't really meet that criteria, but I've enjoyed the game so much I had to put it on here, and pretty high at that.

1. Crokinole
2. Pandemic: Legacy
3. Defenders of the Realm
4. Empire Builder/North American Rails
5. Lords of Waterdeep
6. Xia: Legends of a Drift System
7. Shadows of Brimstone (this one is a love/hate relationship. Love the game. Hate the company. Want the rest of my shit.)
8. Memoir '44
9. Railways of the World
10.Tokaido
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This is a tough one and may certainly change soon enough, but for now:

1) Scrabble
2) Five Tribes
3) 7 Wonders/7 Wonders Duel
4) Ra
5) Castles of the Mad King Ludwig
6) Ticket to Ride
7) Roll for the Galaxy
8) Love Letter
----------
I have a couple of games that may end up surpassing the next two (Lords of Waterdeep, Nations, etc), but I just haven't played them enough to find out.
----------
9) Trivial Pursuit
10) Dead of Winter
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hentzau wrote: 7. Shadows of Brimstone (this one is a love/hate relationship. Love the game. Hate the company. Want the rest of my shit.)
Had to laugh. So true. Though, that reminds me, one of these days I really should open the second box and put the figures together. Since I exclusively play on Tabletop Simulator, where all the components are already there, I never got around to it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was just eying some of the SoB stuff on coolstuffinc.com that I don't have/won't get with my kickstarter rewards. I may end up getting some of them as I do miss playing this one.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:I was just eying some of the SoB stuff on coolstuffinc.com that I don't have/won't get with my kickstarter rewards. I may end up getting some of them as I do miss playing this one.
Let me know if you ever want to do a TTS game. I've cleaned up the original upload, moving a lot of the stuff into my Chest. Makes it much easier to play. Of course, it'll be a pain if the author ever adds the new stuff; I'll have to try and figure out how to get it ported over to my version.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I'm happy to see this topic, it's fun to read what everyone's favorite games are.

My list also changes from time to time but some of the games are constants. My list is basically the top ten games I would be most excited to play at any time. Not necessarily the ten most essential games in my collection though.

10. Jamaica A simple (and I mean simple) racing game. But I just love playing it. Beautiful game with lots of laughs and fun.

9. Clash of Cultures This game sadly just doesn't hit the table much. But it's a great civ game.

8. Roll for the Galaxy Race for the galaxy (which is great) but more streamlined and easier to teach. Plus, lots of dice!

7. Five Tribes Days of Wonder, so the game has the highest production quality. Deep strategy game that is also fairly accessible. Looking forward to the new mini expansion coming out this fall.

6. Star Wars Imperial Assault First it is star wars, which is my favorite franchise. Second it is by Fantasy Flight which means the pieces are amazing, the card art is beautiful, the production quality all around is high, and the game comes with two different ways to play: a quick skirmish and a long campaign. We are still working through the base game campaign but already have the two expansions out with Bespin coming out soon. It's fantasy flight so the expansions will be endless.

5. Caverna The uwe game I find hard to master but so enjoyable to play. Simple worker placement with so many options and a fun theme.

4. Puerto Rico A new addition to my collection, and a long-time classic, but this game is a classic for a reason. It plays incredibly well, it scales well, and it is extremely simple to learn and tons of fun to play. It's a classic for a reason.

3. Crokinole Simple dexterity game (and I finally have my own board!) but I really love this game. It's incredibly simple to teach yet hard to master. Plays quick and people seem to really migrate towards it.

2. Pandemic Legacy It's odd putting this so high. I may never play season 1 again, but this game was that good of an experience for me. I can't wait for season 2. If you haven't played

1. Star Wars: X-Wing Easy choice for me. I can't help myself. The game has my favorite theme of all time and is beautiful from the top down. The miniatures are outstanding. The artwork on the cards is some of the best I have ever seen. You get to build fleets and the variety is endless. I even enjoy just making theoretical lists. I love playing tournament style, missions, and especially epic. It is Star Wars on the table.

So that's my list currently. Honorable mentions to Ticket to Ride (can't single out a version), Memoir '44, and Galaxy Defenders.