Looking for game recommendations for a large, diverse group

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Looking for game recommendations for a large, diverse group

Post by hentzau »

So starting next week I'm going to be spending 3 days a week with a group of about 15 people doing Music Man out at a state park here in IL. We're all being put up in two fairly large, really nice cabin/house things. We do the shows at 1, so we're done by 3:30, and the tradition is to spend the evenings eating, drinking and playing games. So, Im trying to rise to the challenge and come up with some good group games for folks with little to no experience with modern games. I don't expect everyone to play at the same time, but I'm really trying to avoid the inevitable "Let's play Cards Against Humanity!"

So far I'm thinking:

Crokinole (duh)
Codenames
Great Dalmuti
Sushi Go
Pairs
Love Letter
Qwirkle

I think those are all pretty safe. Ones I'm not so sure of:

Camel Up
Colt Express

Anything else someone can think of?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Re: Looking for game recommendations for a large, diverse gr

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bohnanza
Letters from Whitechapel
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Oh, I was also thinking about Mysterium. That could be fun with the right crowd.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote:Oh, I was also thinking about Mysterium. That could be fun with the right crowd.
The right crowd. I am not part of it. Nor, I believe, was coop.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hentzau wrote:Oh, I was also thinking about Mysterium. That could be fun with the right crowd.
The right crowd. I am not part of it. Nor, I believe, was coop.
Remember, these are all theater artsy type people.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair enough.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote:Remember, these are all theater artsy type people.
I have to believe they would eat up One Night Ultimate Werewolf, no? I've never played, but I thought this was created as a more casual n00b friendly version of the actual game? I've also heard really good things about Codenames too so I think you're on the right track.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:
hentzau wrote:Remember, these are all theater artsy type people.
I have to believe they would eat up One Night Ultimate Werewolf, no? I've never played, but I thought this was created as a more casual n00b friendly version of the actual game? I've also heard really good things about Codenames too so I think you're on the right track.
I was thinking of Werewolf, I need to investigate the One night version. Thanks for the reminder.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

How about The Resistance: Avalon? I've always found it works great with a decent-sized crowd, and the theme works particularly well in making it more approachable for those unfamiliar with modern games; everyone can relate to Camelot, and the Arthurian legend (and treachery!). It also has the additional benefit of greatly simplifying the subsequent introduction of a more traditional Werewolf game, should you feel up to it (EDIT: since you participated in the Kickstarter for the Deluxe Edition of Ted Alspach's Ultimate Werewolf, you should definitely bust that out).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote:Bohnanza
+1. You won't get 15 playing at once, but we've done 8 with no problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let me know if you wanna borrow my copy.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
Let me know if you wanna borrow my copy.
i bought a copy after playing yours at OctoCon.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was going to suggest Avalon as well. I think it can play up to 10. Very similar to Werewolf.

7 Wonders can play up to eight with the expansion and isn't too difficult to teach.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I would think Colt Express probably has too much going on for a big non-boardgame group.

Wits and Wagers?
Mumbly Peg?
Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Another fantastic ice-breaker, particularly with a diverse crowd, is Telestrations, AKA Eat Poop You Cat (i.e. the free game upon which Telestrations is based):
BoardGameGeek.com wrote:Description:

Each player starts with a piece of paper and a pencil. At the top of the paper, each player writes a sentence. Then they pass the papers to their left. The next player "draws" the sentence a la Pictionary, then folds the paper so only the drawing is visible and passes it to their left. The next player looks at the drawing and writes a sentence that they think the drawing represents. This continues until all players have their original paper back. At the end, all players unfold their paper, and much hilarity ensues as "I am the Walrus, koo-koo-ca-choo" becomes "Hitler and I danced the night away in a disco."

The game continues until everyone runs out of paper or everyone has added something to each paper, always ending on a sentence.

Eat Poop You Cat does not comport with the BGG guidelines for what constitutes a game, but is kept in the database by popular demand and administrative fiat.
Trust me, this has consistently been one of the most hilariously amusing games i've ever played with large groups. If you're interested in giving the free version a whirl, there's some handy resources to be found in the relevant files section at BGG (e.g. a PDF list of popular quotes, sayings, and idioms that make for good starting sentences, along with premade printable forms for playing the game).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Telestrations might be a big hit with this group. I've seen it, never played it, now I think I need to get it. Good suggestion!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Two Rooms and a Boom?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I remember correctly, he wasn't all that impressed with it. Although to be fair, I was running it when he tried it. So a better teacher might make him love it.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

BTW, have you tried playing your Deluxe Edition of Ultimate Werewolf yet?

Because that's practically tailor-made for an occassion such as this, when you'll be hanging out with a large eclectic group that has a flair for the dramatic (i.e. performers from a musical). All the moreso if you've never hosted a Werewolf game before, as there's a wealth of great tips and advice to be found in the manual. Also, the excellent artwork and components makes for a superb way to introduce the game, and firmly establish the theme, for newbs.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:BTW, have you tried playing your Deluxe Edition of Ultimate Werewolf yet?

Because that's practically tailor-made for an occassion such as this, when you'll be hanging out with a large eclectic group that has a flair for the dramatic (i.e. performers from a musical). All the moreso if you've never hosted a Werewolf game before, as there's a wealth of great tips and advice to be found in the manual. Also, the excellent artwork and components makes for a superb way to introduce the game, and firmly establish the theme, for newbs.
I never have broken out out. It actually was on my list of games to bring, but I forgot to put it on there.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:BTW, have you tried playing your Deluxe Edition of Ultimate Werewolf yet?

I never have broken out out. It actually was on my list of games to bring, but I forgot to put it on there.
:handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW, don't forget to grab the free Ultimate Werewolf Timer App for your phone/tablet (you can see how it works here). It definitely helps simplify moderation and keep gameplay flowing smoothly, while also adding some additional thematic flavour.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So another aspect of this that I forgot to remember to add is that the group will by and large be fairly drunk once we get going. :)

The first night there the only thing that we played was Telestrations, and that was a pretty big hit. Everyone seemed to really enjoy that one, although I'm not 100% sure that I got the sequencing down correct. But everyone had fun with it.

Second night, after the eating and the drinking, the inevitable game of CAH came out, and I good naturedly played along, but man it was torture. There were way too many people, and we had a 13 and 14 year old playing as well, and I was really uncomfortable with that.

But after that was done, I broke out Werewolf. It was really late, so we only got one game in, but everyone seemed to really take to that one, so we're going to dig into it earlier next weekend and hopefully get a few games in.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Wits and Wagers is pretty good for a party game.
words
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Qwelf is quite good for theater people. Plays nicely to their strengths. I find that most theater folks, or at least a good chunk of them, are fairly nerdy, so really any decent game that can be taught relatively quickly could work.

I brought Camel Up over to some theater friends to play, and they enjoyed it quite a bit. That said, I think Colt Express would be even better. It's a real hoot unless you're playing with a bunch of dead fish.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Anonymous Bosch

Hey hentzau, I recently acquired a new game that I think would pair up perfectly with Colt Express, namely Flick 'em Up!:
BoardGameGeek.com wrote:Image

The cities in the West are not the safest place to be. In the disc-flicking game Flick 'em Up!, you can become an outlaw and rob banks, free prisoners, attack innocent bystanders... or you could become the Sheriff and try to protect the people of your city from these bandits!

Relive the great adventures of the West, face your enemies in street duels, use different guns and tactics to get what you want. You can follow the scenarios or create your own—the choice is yours, cowboy!
It plays with 2 - 10, and it absolutely nails the Western theme like no other board game I've played (the components and wooden box are also top-notch). But to return to the subject of this thread, it's also incredibly newbie-friendly and easy-to-teach, and what could be cooler than a Western-themed Crokinole-style shoot-out, with a variety of different scenarios to follow (or the ability to create your own)? Have a butcher's at this Youtube vid to see how it's played.

I'm tellin' ya, if you don't already own it, it deserves to be part of your collection. ASAP.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

OctoCon, fall, 2015:

ImageImage
Anonymous Bosch

:handgestures-thumbup:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote::handgestures-thumbup:
It doesn't look so good on a stark white table. But it certainly wouldn't have flicked well on my vinyl mat.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: :handgestures-thumbup:
It doesn't look so good on a stark white table. But it certainly wouldn't have flicked well on my vinyl mat.
Another option could be felt/speed cloth tabletop covers, especially if you could find 'em in a suitably Western-themed colour (I have a custom one for my primary gaming table that I ordered several years ago, I think on eBay or Etsy, that wasn't terribly expensive). Works great for card games and such.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Would any of these options prevented Sheriff Hentzau from gunning down my outlaws and letting them bleed out in the street?
Anonymous Bosch

Archinerd wrote:Would any of these options prevented Sheriff Hentzau from gunning down my outlaws and letting them bleed out in the street?
Alas, if anything, it may ease Sheriff Hentzau's ferocious enforcement of the law (particularly considering his aptness for Crokinole). Dynamite or the ol' Winchester rifle are likely your best bets against such a ruthless foe.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Your outlaws deserved to be gunned down, like the mad dogs that they were!