The Island of Neglected Games

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

The Island of Neglected Games

Post by hepcat »

Based on something that Coop mentioned in the kickstarter thread (concerning a game he'd backed, received, and then never played), I started thinking about board games I own that I've never played.

I like to think that I play the vast majority of the board games I get, but there are a few that have slipped through the cracks.

Successors: Third Edition - A GMT CDG about the world immediately after Alexander the Great's death. One of the win conditions is getting his body home. I bought this because I was in love with CDGs at the time, but could only find two player entries in the genre...then never got it to the damn table. One of these days though...

AE-WWII - A weird war II tabletop miniatures game that I started to get into...but then promptly dropped because at the time I just couldn't see myself committing to the assembly, painting and care of miniature gaming. Eventually Malifaux got me on board, but I never returned to AE-WWII.

Secrets of the Third Reich - Same story as AE-WWII. I had poor Hentzau buy me the damn rules at a store after he told me he'd seen them, then made him drag them down to a FLGS one day. But I just couldn't get myself to jump on the miniatures bandwagon at the time.

Federation Commander: Academy - My love of all things Star Trek and my childhood obsession with Starfleet Battles made me grab this. And then never play it.

The Battle for Sector 219 - A two player, small box card game that I backed on Kickstarter. It didn't help that the makers sent the wrong damn rulebook with the game, though.

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects - Bought this on the cheap at Origins one year after playing a game of it at the convention. It still sits on my shelf, mocking me with its unpunched bits.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Re: The Island of Neglected Games

Post by hentzau »

Participating in this thread would make me sad. :(
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Only a couple.

Tannhauser - I love the idea of this game, but the rules are so absurdly broken that it is unplayable. There are rules that are essential for play that other rules make it literally impossible to follow.

Gears of War - Because... butterfly!

Unfortunately, I also have a few games that I rarely get to play, even though I'd like to. Battlelore, Memoir '44, and X-Wing fall into this category. All are two-player games, and I bought them when I had another person locally to play games with. The traitor up and left, and now I usually just board game with the kids, which means that two player games aren't really practical.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote:Only a couple.

Tannhauser - I love the idea of this game, but the rules are so absurdly broken that it is unplayable. There are rules that are essential for play that other rules make it literally impossible to follow.
I sold my copy a while back, but I did have a chance to play it before that. Unfortunately, it was early in my game playing career and I didn't yet realize that some games that advertise themselves as being for more than 2 players, aren't really for 2 players. That tainted my experience. I still get the urge to buy it again though as it does have quite a few unique and interesting mechanics (the LOS mechanics are the ones that spring to mind immediately).
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Games Over a Year Old

Horus Heresy – Got it on sale (I think it was 80% off or something crazy like that) a long long time ago. Looks right up my alley but it’s a two player game which means I may never get to play it.

Puerto Rico – I’ve played it once on Table Top Simulator is that counts… But yeah, with shinier newer games it just has never made it to the table.

Rise of the Kage – My one Kickstarter regret. Rulebook was a mess on release. Supposed to be fixed now but it soured me on the whole game. Miniatures were a disappointment too.

Among the Stars – Backed this on Kickstarter and have a bunch of expansions for it. Will likely play it someday.

Raid & Trade - Kickstarter. Just hasn’t risen to the top of my play list. Will likely play it someday.

Newer Unplayed Games

Eldritch Horror – Just picked this up on sale a couple weeks ago.

The expansions for StarWars: Imperial Assault. These will be played shortly.

-=-=-

Now, if we were to make a list of games I've only played once I would probably cry...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it helps, Eldritch Horror plays wonderfully as a solo game. There's a new expansion out as of today that I'll be picking up Saturday at my FLGS when meeting up with some folks for some gaming.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife said she didn't have time to pick up a birthday gift for someone. I rattled off a list of games I have on the shelf still in shrink to see if she wanted to give one of them. Her response was "why do you have so many games still sealed?" Oops.

Games I have still in shrink:
Codenames - I bought it at BGG.CON because people were going crazy over it. I never, ever have an opportunity (or inclination) to play a game like that. See my 3(?) year old copy of Wits & Wagers that has never been played for confirmation.

Splendor - Probably shouldn't count this as it is a birthday gift for my wife. Her birthday is in two days. It *might* get opened after that.

Legendary Encounters: Predator - I've only played Aliens 3 times. I need to get more play out of that before I move on.

Mercs: Recon - There are two boxes. I don't remember what they are called or why there are two boxes. My plan is to unload the whole kit at BGG.CON this fall assuming I ever get my second shipment. The dream is to get half what I paid for it plus shipping if I have to ship it. :P

Bang: The Walking Dead Dice Game - Again social game, when's that going to happen?

Jaipur - bought to play with my wife back when I believed that would ever happen. I will be adding Splendor to that shelf.

Fury of Dracula - bought it before I played it. Played a demo at BGG.CON. Pales to Ladders from White Castle.

Capital Offensive - freebie at BGG.CON. I have no idea what it is and will never find out. Will give it away at BGG.CON this year if anyone will take it.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head that are still in shrink.

Opened, but unplayed:
WWE Smackdown - freebie from BGG.CON, older son might like it... maybe
Mage Wars Academy - I still love the IDEA of Mage Wars, but never get to play it. Figured MW Lite might have a better chance. Ha!
Evolution - played a demo once and liked it. Looking forward to converting it to Evolution: Climate and then not playing that.
Scotland Yard - Whitechapel for the kids... some day.
Wits & Wagers - party game. Ha!
Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men - my 10yo liked AvX so I bought more
Dice Masters: Battle For Faerun - and more
Dice Masters: Justice League - and more
Dice Masters: World's Finest - and more

For each of those Dice Masters listings, I bought the starter and a 90 pack gravity feed. That is on top of my AvX starter + 2x 60 pack gravity feeds. Also an Uncanny X-Men collector's box.

I am starting to learn. I buy fewer games now, but it's a daily struggle.

To make things worse, in total, those listings of unplayed games above account for about half of my collection.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Codenames is one of the very few party games I like. Playing with six people can be hilarious. Why the hate?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:Codenames is one of the very few party games I like. Playing with six people can be hilarious. Why the hate?
No hate. Just no opportunity.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Half of the local game events that he attends with me end up being the two of us playing games by ourselves.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lordnine wrote:Now, if we were to make a list of games I've only played once I would probably cry...
This is likely my larger problem. I think I have about 1/2 a dozen games I've never touched, but the list of games I've played once is quite large. This is also why I started auctioning them at my local convention...and then using that money to buy more games that are never played or played once. It's a sickness. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Oh wow this will be depressing for me...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Oh wow this will be depressing for me...
Seeing you post reminds me of all the X-wing ships I have that have never been played... :oops:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I don't have too many but more than I'd like. Also, they are all wargames.

Maria - An asymmetrical 3 player game based on the War of Austrian Succession. I own and love it's predecessor Friedrich but still have never found the opportunity to get this to the table.

Virgin Queen - This one is a beast of a game, which I have not even finished reading the rules to yet. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance to play this one.

Saints in Armor & This Accursed Civil War - two games in GMT's Musket & Pike Battle series. They are intriguing but are actual hex & counter wargames... that aren't WWII themed. Yeah, it's a tough sell. I've considered asking myself to play one of these solo but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Guns of Gettysburg - It's the battle of Gettysburg! I've set this one up a few times to look at it. And I've managed to play it's cousins Napoleon's Triumph & Bonaparte at Marengo several times. I think what happened is my wife isn't going to fall for the same trick a 3rd time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I played the last edition of Virgin Queen with 6 players once.

We called it at the 11 hour mark.

p.s. we should have a regular "neglected games" night where we get some of these on the table. god knows I'll play just about anything with the name GMT on the side of the box.
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: p.s. we should have a regular "neglected games" night where we get some of these on the table. god knows I'll play just about anything with the name GMT on the side of the box.
*whispers; me too
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although I do have to admit to not being a huge fan of block games. For some reason, I still love my CDGs. Still, if it's able to capture the theme without too much abstraction (the natural enemy of theme, I sometimes find), I'm all in.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Alright, time to just list them out there...

Games I currently own that I have not played:

Star Wars: Rebellion- To be fair I have only owned this game for a month, and we have a new baby, so I give myself some slack on it. This game will get played though.

Time Stories + Marcy Case Expansion- Bought it right after finishing pandemic legacy. I'm sure it will be great, and I completely plan on getting to it, but... time is tight now.

Mercs: Recon and stuff- Uggh. Backed this game for who knows what reason. Can't wait to unload it. Not even going to attempt to play it before selling it... once all my wave 2 stuff finally arrives.

The Hobbit Card Game- I bought this game... for... unknown reasons. Maybe to get up to $100 on CSI? No idea. And I still after 3 years have not bothered to learn it.

Star Trek: Adventure Game- I bought this game only because it was sealed and from 1985... and I thought that was cool. Apparently it's actually a good game, but I can't bring myself to open it. Not because it's worth anything, it isn't, just because I think it's cool that it is in shrink.

Burgoo- Backed it on kickstarter because it was like $3 and easily portable. There are like 4 of these games I backed that I haven't bothered to break out.

Coin Age- See above

Templar Intrigue- See above

Campaign Manager 2008- I bought it because I want a political game and 1960: Making a president is out of print (although I do have it per-ordered). But I just haven't had interest enough to play it. Granted it is only a couple months old (in my collection that is).

My first carcassonne- A gift for having the baby. Maybe it will get played in 5 years.

My first stone age- Same as above

Games I have previously owned but gotten rid of before even trying:

Lord of the Rings: The Card Game- I realized I won't be really getting into LCG, so I got rid of it.

Star Wars: The Card Game- See above.

Elfenland- I like Alan R Moon, and this game was a gift... but it just looked so ridiculous I couldn't help it, it had to go.

Well that is my list. There are a few more that only ever had 1 play before going (Forbidden Desert, Claustrophobia, Carcassonne The Castle) but yeah... I have too many unplayed games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm.... I'm still a neophyte at gaming. Sadly, that does not make the list non-existent.

I know Pandemic is on the list. I'm not sure it's even been fully unboxed yet. And Zombicide: Black Plague. But it just showed up this week. I also have an unplayed copy of Dominion. I played it at a party and picked it up, but still haven't put it on my table.

I think that is it for full games. But if you add in expansions, well...

I haven't opened Blood in the Forest for Last Night on Earth.
Nor Star Trek: Fleet Captains - Dominion.
Picked up both of those when my go-to place was shutting down.

Lastly, there are a couple "fuzzy" entries. I have both Cthulhu Munchkin and Star Munchkin. I played part of a game of the former. Have not played the latter. Additionally, I have yet to unbox Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. I've played Swamp of Death a few times. And I've played both online.

However, both Gloomhaven and Apocrypha look like they may deliver in the next few months.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have a copy of Stronghold that I know I'll never play unless I develop some sort of split personality disorder and am able to play myself. It seems like an awesome game, though. Maybe there are solo rules now, I bought it a long time ago.
There is no hug button. Sad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sold my 2nd edition copy of stronghold and picked up the recently released reboot of it by Ignacy (the original designer). It's fantastic. They really streamlined it.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So, hep, how badly will I regret not backing Darkest Night? I watched a play video. It looks pretty good. But is it unique/different enough to stand out? You seem to be a fan. I flagged it, but haven't made up my mind.

For co-op, squad stuff, I have Castle Ravenloft, Galaxy Defenders, and Shadows of Brimstone. I'm trying not to overload one "type" of game. I also have Gloomhaven and Folklore coming in the future.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a little pricey, and the game is best as a solo experience, but it really is a lot of fun. Primarily because you have almost 30 different characters who interact differently with every other character, which makes the game a giant puzzle at the end of the day. I wasn't going to back it because I already own the first edition and all expansions, but the pros have been stacking up and I can't resist now.

- flavor text is now on everything. Don't laugh! That was my biggest complaint about the first edition. The main story was there, and the characters all had neat back stories, but most of the events, spells, abilities, etc. were just the name and effect. Period. It really makes a difference for me when the game drips with narrative.

- mounted board.

- linen finish cards

- new cards.

- limited print run.

I changed my mind after getting my 3rd edition dawn of the Zeds earlier this week and seeing what a great job they did. I may still be a bit annoyed at the price, but they're including every expansion with this edition. So I'm upgrading everything. I'll just sell my first edition at Gencon.

Now I just have to fight the urge to drop another 40 on the minis. :!:

Is it different enough from the games you mention d earlier? I would say yeah. But try it out on tabletop simulator first as they have a great port as dlc.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm...

The good news is that my habit isn't as big as some of those around here. So $100-150 doesn't make me break out in sweats. For my Kickstarters, it's been about the norm. I was also assuming that I'd want the minis.

So far I haven't bit on TTS DLC. Looks like they've been adding a bunch. Maybe with the upcoming Summer Sale I'll bite on a couple. One thing that I've found with TTS is that it's tough to play a new game. Especially if you have to hunt for rules elsewhere. Have they done a good job of incorporating the rules into their DLCs? I mostly play Shadows with the rules sitting on the desk next to me.

One more question, for their DLC, do all players need it? Or only the host? My best friend lives in another state and we've been looking for a new game to play.

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe only the host to have the base game dlc. Everyone else playing shouldn't need a thing.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sweet. So... do you have the DLC? Care to walk me through a game? :D

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

TheMix wrote: One more question, for their DLC, do all players need it? Or only the host? My best friend lives in another state and we've been looking for a new game to play.
DLC is on a by game basis as to whether or not everyone needs to own it, although it does seem like most companies have wizened up to the reality that they will sell more copies if they DON’T make everyone buy it. Requirements should be listed at the top of the DLC page in Steam.

The Scythe DLC is great by the way, highly recommended. They include a full 3D rule book that you can flip through and went to the extra trouble of modeling a fully thematic 3D playroom.

If you ever want to give that a try, add me on Steam. I’m always up for playing board games.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote:Sweet. So... do you have the DLC? Care to walk me through a game? :D
Unfortunately, with Origins right around the corner, a mysterious illness that I'm still seeing doctors about because they can't figure it out yet, and sucky work stuff, it's hard for me to set aside any decent amount of time right now. But hopefully after the convention (and folks figure out why I'm getting sick a lot the last month), I'll have some more time!
Covfefe!