Reminder: For your holiday/Black Friday shopping, please use the Amazon affiliate links. This time of year can generate the lion's share of affiliate income for the year to keep the lights on. Every bit helps! Thanks!

Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:36 am

Since it's cross-platform I thought this would be the best place to post. Anyone interested in taking part in a TS tourney? I'm in the one over at Q2T at the moment, and while I haven't even finished my first match yet, it's been tons o' fun.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34190
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by hepcat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:39 am

Side note: I've given up on trying to get into Quarter to Three's forums since the change. The reset my password function apparently doesn't work for my account.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42 am

hepcat wrote:Side note: I've given up on trying to get into Quarter to Three's forums since the change. The reset my password function apparently doesn't work for my account.
I can get in, but hate the new format anyway. It's too difficult to figure out which threads have new posts as opposed to which are just new. And I still haven't figured out how to quote someone.

I'd bitch about it over there, but somehow I get the feeling that would be an exercise in futility.

So are you in for the tournament?
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34190
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by hepcat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 pm

I just got my iOS code, although I also have it on PC. But couch play is too alluring. You can add "hepcat" to your friend's list and let me know when you're starting though.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:07 pm

It is cross-platform so it shouldn't matter. I'll add you to my friends list, and if no one else show interest at least we can get a game or two in.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Hmmm. Is it possible to save and pick up matches later?

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12461
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Zarathud » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes. In. Played two matches against Archinerd already.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by AWS260 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I'd be up for it, although my availability on weeknights is usually limited to 10:30-midnight Eastern.
2 Kings 2:24

User avatar
Redfive
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am
Location: Back in Texas

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Redfive » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:04 pm

tgb wrote:
hepcat wrote:Side note: I've given up on trying to get into Quarter to Three's forums since the change. The reset my password function apparently doesn't work for my account.
I can get in, but hate the new format anyway. It's too difficult to figure out which threads have new posts as opposed to which are just new. And I still haven't figured out how to quote someone.

I'd bitch about it over there, but somehow I get the feeling that would be an exercise in futility.

So are you in for the tournament?
Not to derail, but you can just highlight the text you want quoted and a 'quote' button will appear.

Also, I believe if it is just new there will be a little blue 'new' next to the thread title whereas new posts just show a blue circle with the number of new posts. Still adjusting to that myself.

EDIT: I think the blue circle with a number appears only on threads where you have posted.

On topic:

This interests me but I have no experience with the game..is it like anything else out there as a frame of reference?
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive

User avatar
Ralph-Wiggum
Posts: 14847
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:59 pm

Is the iOS version Ipad only? I can't find it in the app store on my iPhone.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 52164
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 pm

It is.
Silver - 5k

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Redfive wrote:
On topic:

This interests me but I have no experience with the game..is it like anything else out there as a frame of reference?
I suppose you can look at it as an abstract resource management game (with the op points being the resource) but the flavor text on the cards is what really sells it. It also helps if you lived through the Cold War.

I have no experience in setting up a tournament like this. I'll run with it if nobody else steps forward, but I think we should give it another day to see who signs up.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
Ralph-Wiggum
Posts: 14847
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 am

Isgrimnur wrote:It is.
:cry: Seemingly all these new great board game apps are on iPad but not the iPhone. Maybe it's time to consider buying an iPad...

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34190
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by hepcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:54 am

To be fair, many board game ports contain just too much information for an iPhone screen to reasonably present. Twilight Struggle being a major one in that category.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 52164
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:59 am

I have the game on PC and would like to play. Also, I'd love to actually try some of those COIN games through the Tabletop Simulator.
Silver - 5k

User avatar
Ralph-Wiggum
Posts: 14847
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 am

hepcat wrote:To be fair, many board game ports contain just too much information for an iPhone screen to reasonably present. Twilight Struggle being a major one in that category.
I figured. The main two ones I've been jealous of are Twilight Struggle and Pathfinder, both of which would probably be pretty crowded on an iPhone screen.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34190
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by hepcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:24 am

I wonder if the VR gear for mobile devices that are coming out would offset that issue for phone users?
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by AWS260 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:35 am

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
hepcat wrote:To be fair, many board game ports contain just too much information for an iPhone screen to reasonably present. Twilight Struggle being a major one in that category.
I figured. The main two ones I've been jealous of are Twilight Struggle and Pathfinder, both of which would probably be pretty crowded on an iPhone screen.
Pathfinder is OK on my phone, but Twilight Struggle would never work on a screen that small.
2 Kings 2:24

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:02 pm

How often would we play? I would love to, but I'm already in an online Blood Bowl league and don't know if I have enough time.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12461
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Zarathud » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:30 pm

You can get a turn or reaction to an event in every day in 10-30 minutes. Play would be over 2-4 weeks per game.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34190
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by hepcat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 pm

...or 7 to 10 minutes if you're playing against me.

Yeah, I suck.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 52164
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm

hepcat wrote:...or 7 to 10 minutes if you're playing against me.

Yeah, I suck.
Defcon 2? We should throw an Olympics!
Silver - 5k

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:01 pm

I just finished my game in the Q2T tournament this morning, and we had started on Thursday. Keep in mind the game supports async play, so schedules are not a problem.

Almost went the distance (made it to Turn 9), and it was close. I might very well have lost if the guy I was playing hadn't hit the "play event" button by accident and drop us into Defcon 1. But I'll take whatever I can get :P

Seriously, whenever someone does something that's going to mean Defcon I, there should be a big "You sure you want to do that, Dummy?" alert.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Zarathud wrote:You can get a turn or reaction to an event in every day in 10-30 minutes. Play would be over 2-4 weeks per game.
Oh, so it's PBEM style?

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12461
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Zarathud » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:09 pm

It can be async play, and you can switch to simultaneous play at same time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:32 pm

ok, then I'm in.

User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by NickAragua » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Does this thing work on PCs or do I have to have one of them new fangled apple phones? More importantly, can PC play vs iphone?

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 pm

NickAragua wrote:Does this thing work on PCs or do I have to have one of them new fangled apple phones? More importantly, can PC play vs iphone?
Steam version. Plus it supports cross-platform play.

Are you in?
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:32 pm

So far confirmed I show:

tgb
Hepcat
Zaarathud
AWS260
Isgrimmer
El Guapo
NickArauga

Anyone missing? That makes 7 and we need one more for even matches.
Last edited by tgb on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by NickAragua » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah, I'll pick it up.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:36 am

I downloaded the game last night and fired up a game to do a round or two, and got stuck and wound up completing a 10 turn game (that I won at final scoring). Twilight Struggle is so good. I was pleasantly surprised by the AI, too. The main thing I noticed is that it tended to waste influence putting a little into countries that I controlled - it can often make sense (especially if you have a high influence value hand a round, or are using the China Card, etc) to overpower an opponent's influence in a country that they control, but the AI would tend to spend influence to put 1 influence in West Germany (say), then I spend 1 influence to take back control, then he spends 2 influence to increase his influence by 1, etc. Nothing problematic, and the AI was very competitive overall.

I also enjoyed the background sounds and music - definitely set the mood.

User avatar
AWS260
Posts: 9331
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by AWS260 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:21 am

Image
2 Kings 2:24

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:38 am

Anyone have a suggestion on how to structure this with only 7 people?
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:42 am

tgb wrote:Anyone have a suggestion on how to structure this with only 7 people?
How did they structure the Qt3 tournament?

We could either try to wrassle up one more and do an 8 person single elimination bracket, or just do a round-robin "everyone plays everyone" structure and have the top (say) 4 players do single elimination. Though that would probably take over a year to play out, I suppose.

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30264
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by tgb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:45 am

El Guapo wrote:
tgb wrote:Anyone have a suggestion on how to structure this with only 7 people?
How did they structure the Qt3 tournament?

We could either try to wrassle up one more and do an 8 person single elimination bracket, or just do a round-robin "everyone plays everyone" structure and have the top (say) 4 players do single elimination. Though that would probably take over a year to play out, I suppose.
12 person bracket. Having an even number makes it so much easier.
"We did not elect a swamp-draining reformer; we gave our pin number to a Nigerian prince." - Bill Maher

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:47 am

tgb wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
tgb wrote:Anyone have a suggestion on how to structure this with only 7 people?
How did they structure the Qt3 tournament?

We could either try to wrassle up one more and do an 8 person single elimination bracket, or just do a round-robin "everyone plays everyone" structure and have the top (say) 4 players do single elimination. Though that would probably take over a year to play out, I suppose.
12 person bracket. Having an even number makes it so much easier.
NickAragua and I have a friend who might be interested (though I don't know if he's played TS before). I'll shoot him an e-mail.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12461
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Zarathud » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:47 am

Archinerd should join!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
stessier
Posts: 22334
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: SC

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by stessier » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:47 am

Is the game expensive? I think I've watched this played one time and if it's not too bad, I could pick it up tonight as a sacrificial lamb and join in the fun.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running 2014: 1300.55 miles
Running 2015: 2036.13 miles

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 28234
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by El Guapo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 am

stessier wrote:Is the game expensive? I think I've watched this played one time and if it's not too bad, I could pick it up tonight as a sacrificial lamb and join in the fun.
It's $15.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 16710
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Near the Wissahickon

Re: Twilight Struggle, Anyone?

Post by Holman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:30 pm

tgb wrote:So far confirmed I show:

tgb
Hepcat
Zaarathud
AWS260
Isgrimmer
El Guapo
NickArauga

Anyone missing? That makes 7 and we need one more for even matches.
I'd be interested! I have TS on Steam. I'm "Holman" there.

Post Reply