Arkham Horror - The Card Game

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I heard the rumors, but didn't believe it was happening:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is a cooperative Living Card Game® set amid a backdrop of Lovecraftian horror. As the Ancient Ones seek entry to our world, one to two investigators (or up to four with two Core Sets) work to unravel arcane mysteries and conspiracies.

Their efforts determine not only the course of your game, but carry forward throughout whole campaigns, challenging them to overcome their personal demons even as Arkham Horror: The Card Game blurs the distinction between the card game and roleplaying experiences.

...

For all the freedom you gain in building your deck, however, the greatest freedom you gain as an investigator in Arkham LCG is the ability to steer your investigation in whichever direction you wish. Do you want to scour a room for signs of the occult? You can. Do you want to leave the room and explore another location? You can. Would you prefer to load your weapon in case the sounds that you're hearing are being made by something not fully human? You can.

Your decisions in Arkham LCG aren't limited by the cards in your hand. Rather, you have three actions each round to use as you wish—to search for clues, to move, to battle monsters, or to dig for resources and equipment. You're the character; you're not limited by the cards in your hand.
I think I need to see a video of it in action (and I'm guessing one is coming soon enough), but for $40 and supporting 1-2 players out of the box, it seems priced right.

This is the first official preview:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game, more than any card game before it, is a blend of the traditional customizable card game and roleplaying experiences. You become one of the game's investigators and customize your deck of cards to reflect your personal strengths and resources. However, as the investigators of Arkham LCG all have their own distinct personalities, each comes with his or her own deckbuilding requirements.

...

It is easy to enjoy Arkham LCG as a series of standalone adventures. However, as much as all of your adventures thrust you into the midst of thrilling and horrifying situations, it is only when you see how they follow upon each other that you truly begin to understand the madness at the edges of Arkham LCG… The basic mode of play is not the adventure, after all, but the campaign. And all your choices and actions have consequences that reach far beyond the immediate resolution of the scenario at hand.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Want!
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:43 pm

I always get a little turned off by the "living" part of LCGs because it just means $$$, but I loved the LOTR ones and the theme of this one is even more appealing to me. Definitely going to keep my eye on it!

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:35 am

I liked the LotR card game at first, but when it became apparent that you really needed to construct your decks with precision and/or hope that cards came out in a specific order to beat certain adventures, I lost interest and sold it. I'm absolutely going to be watching this because of the theme. If this tilts towards that aspect of the LotR game, I'd definitely be out. However, if this is their answer to the Pathfinder card game or possibly the new upcoming version of that system (The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game), I'm definitely still interested.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 am

I have no idea why, but the anticipation for this game is killing me. I'd really hoped it would be shipping by now, but they still have it listed as "on the boat" as of 8/31. It's just so strange to read all the expansion announcements and the base game is still in shipping limbo.

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:24 pm

The early reviews seem really positive. Enough so that I'm overcoming my distrust of the "living" component.

One thing I found encouraging (though some reviewers list it as a negative) is that with just the core set there isn't a lot of deck variation. Personally I'm fine with this; the reason I stopped playing the LOTR:LCG was that it seemed more about constructing the perfect deck than actually playing the game. I'm the type of gamer that would much rather puzzle out the best strategic option from a limited deck than try to build some custom trial-and-error monstrosity from hundreds of options.

I'm not sure if it's going to get any play time from my group just because most of them don't really have any interest in the theme, and so far they've resisted pure card games. However, I'm more than willing to just add this to my solo game collection.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 56900
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by LordMortis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Post a review and compare it to the pathfinder deck shuffling game. I enjoyed pathfinder at first but it lost its luster for me about half way through the campaign. I still played the whole way through, because I commit to it with other people but it really became formulaic too quickly for me.

"Living" should mean a growing and changing dynamic not just tougher monster decks and tougher cards to combat them with.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:04 pm

If the app had come out for Pathfinder ACG before I had purchased a core set, I probably would have just stuck with that. However, I do believe I'll go back and finish it someday. It's a great solo experience.

I put in a pre-order for this one at the same time I called to reserve Lord Mortis' my copy of Roll Player.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:47 pm

According to the FFG website, this game is "Now Shipping". And no, I haven't been checking their site multiple times a day for the last week, why? :oops:

They suggest another 7-10 days to get to retailers so...soon.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Just picked up a copy at my FLGS.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Awesome. I'm really, really excited about this game. I ordered from Amazon so my copy is a week away. :(

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Played the intro scenario last night. I like it. The game takes parts of the Warhammer Quest adventure card game, bits of Pathfinder ACG and a little from Mistfall...all three great games. What it adds to the mix is a stronger narrative though. Although that might be simply because horror is my first love when it comes to gaming/stories/movies.

I think I'm in for the long haul on this one.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by $iljanus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Did you just buy the core set, Hepcat? I don't mind buying expansions but I'm not interested in buying two core sets in order to have a more "fuller" experience.
From a recent interview with Pope Francis: “I have a dogmatic certainty: God is in every person’s life. God is in everyone’s life…Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else—God is in this person’s life. You can, you must try to seek God in every human life.”

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:47 pm

The only reason to buy more than one core is to add two more players. There's enough in one base game for two without any sense of being limited in any way.

There's deck building, but it's not a competitive game, so power builds requiring multiples of certain cards is less of a pull unless you're really into that kind of thing...at which point you're better off going with Game of Thrones LCG or something similar.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9771
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by $iljanus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:19 pm

hepcat wrote:The only reason to buy more than one core is to add two more players. There's enough in one base game for two without any sense of being limited in any way.

There's deck building, but it's not a competitive game, so power builds requiring multiples of certain cards is less of a pull unless you're really into that kind of thing...at which point you're better off going with Game of Thrones LCG or something similar.
Cool! The topic did come up in BGG but wanted it confirmed by a trusted source. Thanks! I may pick it up at some time but for the moment I'm trying to wrap my head around the LOTR LCG w/Khazad-Dum expansion.
From a recent interview with Pope Francis: “I have a dogmatic certainty: God is in every person’s life. God is in everyone’s life…Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else—God is in this person’s life. You can, you must try to seek God in every human life.”

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:11 am

So I'm apparently in the group of people that pre-ordered from Amazon but won't be getting a copy. Considering I can go to the Fantasy Flight Games website right now and purchase it directly from them, I'm guessing Asmodee shorted Amazon's order after seeing how many people were purchasing it from them and decided to just keep the copies themselves (to sell at a higher profit margin). Total speculation on my part, but I don't really know how to interpret it any other way. I guess I'll just have to find solace in the 37 other untouched games I posses. :?

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:50 am

I've found that Amazon is always a touch and go endeavor with new board game releases. That's why I tend to go with coolstuff or miniaturemarket for anything new (well...before I discovered my local deep discount game store). Although I think those are both sold out now. Your best bet is your FLGS, I'd guess.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:25 pm

I've never had a problem with Amazon on pre-orders, so I'm rather surprised. It's sold out everywhere and the only people you can get it from are Fantasy Flight, via their web store. I'm sure they didn't see high demand and short retailers promised deliveries in an effort to maximize profits - that would be cynical of me to suggest, particularly in light of recent acquisition by Asmodee. I do hope the people that ordered multiple copies of the core set are enjoying them.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Would you like me to check if there's a copy at my discount FLGS when I stop by this weekend? If so, I could send it your way.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Nah, but I appreciate the offer. I have a local store that opened this summer but he doesn't have any copies either. I'd be amazed if anyone could acquire it now from someone other than direct FFG purchase.

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:59 pm

I ordered this from Amazon yesterday. Couldn't help myself - it was on sale for $30 and I had a $20 credit, so only paying $10 out of pocket was too tempting to resist.

A couple of things pushed me over the edge. I watched a review on YouTube where the reviewer compared it to the LOTR LCG. Like me, he likes LOTR but has some issues with it. He seemed to enjoy this one more, and said that adding a luck component with the token bag negated some of the "perfect deck" syndrome from LOTR.

Eric from Dice Tower also really liked it, praising the storytelling aspects.

I kept sitting on the fence due to the LCG aspect, but then again getting in on the ground floor is super appealing. I always tend to come to these games late after they've got 20 expansions, and I find myself overwhelmed and unable to financially go back and pick up everything. Will be nice to finally start with everyone else and pick up the new content as it is released.

It should be here Thursday; if I like it I imagine I'll go ahead and get a pre-order in for the expansion. Will try to get some impressions up by the end of the week.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm

My copy randomly arrived over the weekend; I was not expecting it at all. I've been reading through the manual and I'm struck at the similarities between this game and the Lord of the Rings Card game. I'm still not entirely sold on this "Chaos Bag" but I understand why it exists. Personally, I prefer having bad die rolls, not pulling bad tokens from a bag but perhaps it'll grow on me. :D

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:42 pm

I was concerned about the token bag as well - it just seems like a rather archaic way of incorporating chance. But none of the reviews I've watched/read had any real issues with it so I'm keeping an open mind.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 13854
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by coopasonic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:54 pm

YellowKing wrote:I was concerned about the token bag as well - it just seems like a rather archaic way of incorporating chance. But none of the reviews I've watched/read had any real issues with it so I'm keeping an open mind.
I don't know how it works in this game, but Clank! uses a bag (of pain) for determining damage from dragon attacks and it's a really cool mechanic. The bag is seeded with misses and whenever you make noise you put one of your cubes in the bag. When a dragon attack is triggered, a number of cubes are pulled from the bag and if yours are pulled you take damage. Cubes aren't put back in the bag so the misses get thinner and thinner and the game gets more dangerous the longer it goes. The more noise you make the more likely you are going to get in trouble. There's no way practical way dice could be used to accomplish the same result.
-Coop

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Smoove_B wrote:My copy randomly arrived over the weekend; I was not expecting it at all. I've been reading through the manual and I'm struck at the similarities between this game and the Lord of the Rings Card game. I'm still not entirely sold on this "Chaos Bag" but I understand why it exists. Personally, I prefer having bad die rolls, not pulling bad tokens from a bag but perhaps it'll grow on me. :D
The tokens in the chaos bag allow for greater scenario specific events. A skull in one scenario could mean something entirely different in another. Eldritch Horror does something similar with its icons on elder gods/characters/etc.. It really works quite well. Plus, it enables players to control the difficulty of the game with a level of finesse not found in most games with variable difficulty levels. Too easy? Remove a +1 and replace it with a -2. Too hard? Take out that -3 and replace it with a +4.

Give it a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:13 pm

That was my general conclusion from reading everything - it's a way to really fine-tune the difficulty in a way that's likely a bit more precise than random die rolling. Deep in my heart though, I'm still a guy that likes dice chucking. :D

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:16 pm

During a game on Saturday, Redwarlord drew the only -4 token 4 times in a row. It was...less than optimal.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12454
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Zarathud » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:49 pm

The same bag draw mechanic is used to great effect in Ygdrassil. Your in-game actions directly modify probability.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Cool, thanks for that explanation guys. I never thought about about a token draw allowing for "dynamic" probability vs a straight dice roll which will always be a "static" probability. I'm sure there are better terms to explain that but I'm no mathematician.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 pm

hepcat wrote:During a game on Saturday, Redwarlord drew the only -4 token 4 times in a row. It was...less than optimal.
Ahh...he is apparently my spirit-brother. That's pretty impressive and what I usually experience in dice form.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:36 pm

My remaining issue (and it's not unique to this game) is that when presented with multiple options for resolution, the game rules tell you to have the lead investigator decide the outcome. So by way of example, if there are two investigators at a location and a ghoul is going to attack, the lead investigator is tasked with picking which adventurer will take the hit. I know there are other factors (like the Prey label) that can allow the card AI to select a specific target, I just hate when a game forces me to make a negative decision. I'm fine with rolling a die for an outcome. I'm fine with the AI targeting the weakest player or the one with the lowest defense. Don't make me (as the guy that wants to win) make a decision that will clearly be in my own self interest.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:44 pm

I tend to make more altruistic choices when confronted with such decisions. You are a horrible, horrible human being. :P
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 pm

:D

I am comfortable playing a game where my goal is to cause harm to other players (Spartacus, Dead of Winter, etc...) - because that's the point. When playing a game like this, I struggle with making decisions because the game is simultaneously making decisions for me (like a DM or evil player overlord might) but then also asking me as the player to make decisions that will harm me or someone I am playing the game with in a co-op mode. Do I choose what I think the evil game would select to maximize the pain or do I choose the option that benefits me as a player or my team? I guess it bothers me mostly because it takes me out of the game. That's one of the things I love about the Mansions of Madness app - it just tells me which character to target or apply an effect on. I did see they include something they term "The Grim Rule" on page 7 of the learn to play book and I think that is likely my answer. I'm always going to choose pain. :D

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 56900
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by LordMortis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Smoove_B wrote:Don't make me (as the guy that wants to win) make a decision that will clearly be in my own self interest.
Why not? If it's a Co Op game, that's what tanking is for. I don't understand your quandary at all. If you are playing against a game mechanic then your job is to do this best you can to minimize the effect of negative stuff and maximize the effect of positive stuff.

Do you ever play video game with multiple characters? Don't you build teams to absorb bad stuff and distribute good stuff the most effectively?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Yeah, so I hate RPG video games with multiple characters that I need to control. Thematically, if the game is attacking me with a Ghoul and there are two characters it can attack, why wouldn't it seek out the weaker one? In terms of playing against a mechanic, I would always expect the game AI to target the weakest character and/or the character that can cause the monster the greatest amount of damage. If it can reach the Ranger, it's not going to instead run face-first into the armored Paladin. That's why I like monster deck AI in games like this - If [X] do this. If [Y] do this instead. If neither, creature moves closer (or whatever it is).

I get what you're saying, but this is what happens when you take someone that was a DM for 15+ years and expect them to play as a cooperative character on the other side of the fence. I'm wired to think like monsters and NPCs, not players. :wink:

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 34179
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Soooo...in Aeon's End, when you are "killed" you are simply "exhausted". You can still play, but all damage you'd take is sent to the other players, and you can't regain health. However, you can still play cards on your turn. It's an elegant solution to the dilemma of player elimination in a game.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 pm

That's totally against the spirit of a Cthulhu themed game. What are you? Some type of Care Bear fancy lad?

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 56900
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by LordMortis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, so I hate RPG video games with multiple characters that I need to control. Thematically, if the game is attacking me with a Ghoul and there are two characters it can attack, why wouldn't it seek out the weaker one? In terms of playing against a mechanic, I would always expect the game AI to target the weakest character and/or the character that can cause the monster the greatest amount of damage. If it can reach the Ranger, it's not going to instead run face-first into the armored Paladin. That's why I like monster deck AI in games like this - If [X] do this. If [Y] do this instead. If neither, creature moves closer (or whatever it is).

I get what you're saying, but this is what happens when you take someone that was a DM for 15+ years and expect them to play as a cooperative character on the other side of the fence. I'm wired to think like monsters and NPCs, not players. :wink:

So what you are saying is no CoOp games for Smoove? The mechanic of CoOp game that wants to go after the weakest would say go after the weakest, not choose wisely.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 36348
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Nah, I love coop games - they're actually my preference. But I want very clear enemy/monster AI rules that don't involve me as a player determining how a monster behaves. As I said, I think the "Grim Rule" the include in the manual is my answer. Always choose the option that would lead to the worst outcome possible - I think that fits with a Cthulhu-based adventure.

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 23819
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by YellowKing » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:38 pm

I get where you're coming from Smoove_B, even though I disagree with your conclusion.

If the game wanted to screw you over, it would just do so. "Monster always attacks character with lowest health." Done. The fact that they're giving you a choice means the designers want you to make the choice that best serves your team's interest. Now, you certainly have every right to choose the worst possible option, but I doubt the designers intended it that way.

I love the Grim Rule, but I think it's pretty clear that its purpose is to resolve rule ambiguities.

As a former DM and Cthulhu mythos fan, however, I applaud your masochism. :D

Post Reply