(Board game) The Others: 7 Sins

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

(Board game) The Others: 7 Sins

Post by Lordnine »

This is big enough that I think it deserves its own thread. My Kickstarter pledge arrived today!

The Others is a 1 vs 4 game that pits the heroes of Faith against the avatar of one of the Seven Deadly Sins. The Heroes move around the board collecting equipment and working towards an overall scenario objective while the Sin player throws everything they have against the heroes to kill them off.

And here is what came with the Kickstarter pledge! (Click images to embiggen)
Enlarge Image

The majority of this was part of the base pledge on Kickstarter. The only exceptions are the large Apocalypse expansion and the Men of Faith hero box.

Being as this is a CMON title the miniatures are of course awesome.

Enlarge Image

Awesomely gruesome.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Who better to fight against the end times than a priest with a flamethrower?
Enlarge Image

Well… Maybe a werewolf with a giant sword.
Enlarge Image

Now, the only problem is finding a place for all the stuff...
TheMix

Re: (Board game) The Others: 7 Sins

Post by TheMix »

Nice looking. I thought about backing that one. But I have too many games and don't play anywhere near as often as the rest of you. I am hoping that getting the gaming table will help with that a bit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

As always their game looks fantastic. I look forward to hearing more about how it plays.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I should have some impressions this weekend. Early impressions from other backers are just starting to come out. So far, the general consensus is that it’s pretty good and quite different from other games in this genre. The games tend to be relatively short (about 90 minutes) and the Sin player is more of a direct opponent instead of a “game master” as is typical in these games.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

We played our first game last night and everyone had a good time. Usually, I end up playing the “Overlord” role but I explained that it was actually quite simple in this game and so my friend Emily ended up controlling the Sin for us. Early on I think she was frustrated because she felt like she couldn’t hurt us but at about the halfway point things clicked and she turned into a terror.

The game was very tight towards the end. We started losing heroes incredibly fast and things were stacking against us. My defining moment was when I decided we needed to advance to the next objective or we were never going to make it. I had my priest dual wield flamethrowers and I charged the objective point. I died in a literal blaze of glory but it advanced us to the final objective.

From this point on, we just threw everything we had at the enemies. A fitting end for the game, one of our last survivors made a suicide charge at the Avatar of Sin and won us the game one turn before we were guaranteed to lose.

---Mechanics---

The mechanics of the game themselves are pretty simple. Items aside, heroes can only do three things on their turn (4 if you count move); fight a monster, cleanse an area or use a city action.

Fighting is pretty straight forward. Your dice versus the dice of all the monsters in your space. What makes it interesting is you can willingly take corruption to boost your stats. For example, if your corruption is high enough you get automatic hits on enemies. The drawback is that if your corruption gets high enough you start to take damage. Combat is high impact and brutal. It’s possible for a hero to die after a single combat but this is not a game but coddling heroes. They are a resource to spend, which is why your team has a pool of 7 of them.

Cleansing an area is a simple dice check. Roll dice equal to your skill level and if you get a cleanse icon you remove one bad thing (Fire, Corruption, Pentagram) from your space.

Taking a city action is where things get a bit interesting. Each board tile has three city actions printed on them. When you take a city action you get to use all three. These actions are things like heal one wound, remove corruption, or gain equipment. There is also a rare city action that lets you position an orbital laser that will one shot a monster within two spaces.

The biggest difference we found from this game and most in its genre is that this is a competitive game through and through. Most games like this I’ve found that it’s in the best interest of the group for the Overlord to be more of a facilitator than a pure adversary. Comparatively, this is not a game about pulling punches, the Sin player has to use every advantage it can to win and the heroes need to exploit every special ability they have to compensate.

My one real complaint is that I wish some of the items were a bit more interesting. Most of them are of the “roll an extra dice” variety. I can understand why, the designer clearly wanted to keep the game fast paced and accessible but it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. Oh, speaking of fast paced, excluding teaching, the game played in about two hours. 90 minutes is very likely on repeat plays.

So yes, it’s pretty good.