Werewolf for kids?

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Post Reply
User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 12722
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Werewolf for kids?

Post by Carpet_pissr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:28 am

I usually try to buy a board game for Christmas that all three of my kids can play (not easy, considering they are 6, 10 and 12), and came across this article from 538 about board games for kids: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/sto ... s-instead/

I found it odd that "Ultimate Werewolf" is on the list, with a minimum recommended age of 5? I have never played the game, so not sure if it's a mistake (the box lists 13+ I think). My 6 YO is definitely sharp for his age, but that might be pushing it. Any thoughts?

Thinking of picking up: Dixit, Hive and/or Coconuts (though this last one may be too 'babyish'?

Feel free to comment on any on the list as well!

Zenn7
Posts: 2093
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Zenn7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:54 pm

Carpet_pissr wrote:I usually try to buy a board game for Christmas that all three of my kids can play (not easy, considering they are 6, 10 and 12), and came across this article from 538 about board games for kids: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/sto ... s-instead/

I found it odd that "Ultimate Werewolf" is on the list, with a minimum recommended age of 5? I have never played the game, so not sure if it's a mistake (the box lists 13+ I think). My 6 YO is definitely sharp for his age, but that might be pushing it. Any thoughts?

Thinking of picking up: Dixit, Hive and/or Coconuts (though this last one may be too 'babyish'?

Feel free to comment on any on the list as well!
I played ultimate werewolf with some younger than 13 kids (don't know if they went down to 6 though). But I think what would be more of a problem than his age is 4 people is not very many people. Also, how good can your kids convince you of something w/o you seeing through it? Having to try to decide who the werewolf is/are might not work well if you can see right through their deceptions or if they listen to you as Dad and Dad wouldn't lie sort of thing.

Or they're like my kid who just default assumes if there is a traitor in the game, it's me (no matter the logic against it). Probably doesn't help that she's right more than 1/2 the time... (Ultimate Werewolf, Shadows over Camelot, Shadowhunters (not a traitor, but not on her side at least), couple others.

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong game, isn't Hive 2 player? Assuming a game for all 3 of your kids to play was to play at the same time, not taking turns.

User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 12722
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Carpet_pissr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:42 pm

Zenn7 wrote:I played ultimate werewolf with some younger than 13 kids (don't know if they went down to 6 though). But I think what would be more of a problem than his age is 4 people is not very many people. Also, how good can your kids convince you of something w/o you seeing through it? Having to try to decide who the werewolf is/are might not work well if you can see right through their deceptions or if they listen to you as Dad and Dad wouldn't lie sort of thing.

Or they're like my kid who just default assumes if there is a traitor in the game, it's me (no matter the logic against it). Probably doesn't help that she's right more than 1/2 the time... (Ultimate Werewolf, Shadows over Camelot, Shadowhunters (not a traitor, but not on her side at least), couple others.

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong game, isn't Hive 2 player? Assuming a game for all 3 of your kids to play was to play at the same time, not taking turns.
Ha, funny you mention that. The 6YO has been "trained" via Old Maid, to not show emotion on his face when playing games like that, so I don't think he would have a problem. Hilarity ensued before he was able to pull that off though, so kind of bittersweet for me, the whole loss of innocence aspect...:P

But yeah, if 3 or even 4 is too few to play well, that one is out for us...hard to get all three willing and able to play at the same time, so it's usually me and a couple o' kids at most, but the better experiences so far have been when we could all play together.

Hive apparently is 2 player, but that's OK...seems to be a fantastic game, and what I have read has intrigued me.

I've bought and played:
King of Tokyo (very disappointed in this one after reading all the rave reviews)
Blokus - we usually play this the most because everyone likes it, and it's not too long
Forbidden Island - this one never clicked
Castle Panic - really like this one


I'm basically trying to find our gaming "vibe" and I don't think it's King of Tokyo type games. Probably more along the lines of Pictionary or 'Say Anything' I have 'Lost Cities' unopened, so we need to try that as well.

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 13854
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by coopasonic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Lost Cities is also two player, unless it is the board game, which I think plays four.

RoboRally is competitive programming
Legendary: Marvel if they are into super-heroes- co-op deckbuilder... Villains if you want more competitive play. Aliens if you want a more difficult co-op experience
Ticket To Ride?
oh... check out Cardline: Animals and/or Cardline: Dinosaurs, same system as the Timeline games, but I think they work better for kids

Those have all worked with my kids at one time or another. Any of them would be tough with a six year old though. My youngest is 7, I speak from experience. Powerboats is about the only "good" game the seven year old likes, but that's out of print and hard to come by.
-Coop

User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 6548
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Zenn7.

Prior to reading your response C_p, I was just about to suggest King of Tokyo (it surprises me to learn that it didn't go down well; my experience has been quite the opposite, with the theme proving to be a surefire hit with kids in your described age-range). Given that wasn't your -- or your son's -- cuppa, dexterity games always seem to be a hit with the younger crowd, often giving them a useful advantage. So how about something like Flick 'em Up? The theme is superb, with components to match, and it plays splendidly with kids/family.
Image

The cities in the West are not the safest place to be. In the disc-flicking game Flick 'em Up!, you can become an outlaw and rob banks, free prisoners, attack innocent bystanders... or you could become the Sheriff and try to protect the people of your city from these bandits!

Relive the great adventures of the West, face your enemies in street duels, use different guns and tactics to get what you want. You can follow the scenarios or create your own—the choice is yours, cowboy!

Contents:
  • 12 Figures
  • 12 Removable/Reversible Hats
  • 2 Boxes
  • 10 Cowboy Tiles
  • 6 Buildings
  • 1 Gallows
  • 38 Hit Point Tokens
  • 11 Sacks of Gold Tokens
  • 6 "Not Allowed" Tokens
  • 5 Colt Pistol Tokens
  • 2 Winchester Rifle Tokens
  • 4 Clean/Poisoned Water Tokens
  • 2 Dynamite Tokens
  • 2 Document Tokens
  • 1 Initiative Token
  • 1 Hostage Token
  • 13 Support Blocks
  • 4 Bullets
  • 1 Dynamite
  • 3 Cacti
  • 1 Town Hall Clock (in four parts)
  • 5 Barrels
  • 4 Fences
  • 5 Tumbleweeds
  • 1 Movement Disc
  • 1 Winchester Barrel
  • Rulebook
  • Scenario Booklet
"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." -- H. L. Mencken

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 23324
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Carpet_pissr wrote: Blokus - we usually play this the most because everyone likes it, and it's not too long
Check out Qwirkle.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
coopasonic
Posts: 13854
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Dallas-ish

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by coopasonic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:50 pm

That's on my wish list as well. It's a bit on the expensive side which is holding me back a little bit. I watched the SUSD review last night and it looks like something the kids would like.

Oh for CP, that reminds me. My 7 year old is a freaking genius at Pitchcar (speaking of expensive dexterity games).
-Coop

User avatar
Anonymous Bosch
Posts: 6548
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Northern California [originally from the UK]

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Anonymous Bosch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:32 pm

coopasonic wrote:That's on my wish list as well. It's a bit on the expensive side which is holding me back a little bit. I watched the SUSD review last night and it looks like something the kids would like.

Oh for CP, that reminds me. My 7 year old is a freaking genius at Pitchcar (speaking of expensive dexterity games).
It may seem that way, but it's truly a work of art with wooden components, and even a nifty wooden game box. That being said, I've heard good things about the more wallet-friendly plastic edition of Flick 'em Up too, which provides a similar gameplay experience minus the premium components/polish. So that could be a better option for you, depending upon your budget.
"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." -- H. L. Mencken

User avatar
Ralph-Wiggum
Posts: 14845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

I bought Dixit for my niece and nephew a few years back. There were only maybe 8 and 6 at the time and had no problem with it, other than the fact that the "clues" the 6-year old gave were sometimes a bit too obvious. They seemed to really enjoy it; the only problem came with the fact that after a few games you'll be pretty familiar with all the cards. The only other potential issue is that I think the game works best with 4 - 7 players; but as long as you can get the whole group to play you should be fine.

User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 12722
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Werewolf for kids?

Post by Carpet_pissr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Wow, that Flick Em Up looks fantastic.

And to the comment about King of Tokyo - we are still in the trying out phase, so I have not given up on it (damn thing was expensive for no one to play it!).

Post Reply