Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:Well, this is definitely unique: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures. You can hot swap the arms, it looks like. Not something I'd back, but it does look rather cool.
That's cool. Not something I'd invest in either, but cool. It is, however, and old trick. Warhammer players, especially, have been using tiny magnets to hot-swap gear on their armies and such for years. Warhammer requires (or did, I haven't played the latest versions) that miniatures match the unit description. No substitutions. So being able to yank the shields off of a unit of High Elves to pay for an extra knight, or being able to hot-swap weapons on a Space Marine can be handy. Given how much GW charges for miniatures, being able to change the weapons on a vehicle can be the difference between buying a $60 Predator tank and buying six of them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have just started magnetizing some WH 40K minis. Since I am an Eldar man, the spindly arms make the infantry of this size very very difficult (and I decided not to bother). While the non-substitutions rule is like canon, most casual players seem to be fine with the loadout not matching the mini (particularly given that all players understand that this rule is a cash grab scheme). I decided to magnetize some vehicles, not because of rules lawyering, but because I think it is cool to be able to switch up the weapons.

That all said, I am too new to the game (my first set is 8th edition) that I cannot identify weapons by glance yet (and Eldar weaponry all looks long and thin anyway).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote:I have just started magnetizing some WH 40K minis. Since I am an Eldar man, the spindly arms make the infantry of this size very very difficult (and I decided not to bother).
I've never magnetized myself, but I do recall reading that the way some players handle this is to put the magnet in the largest section, then use a piece of thinner ferrous wire for the spindly bits.

Another related trick is that some people magnetize all of the bases on their miniatures. They then put a thin steel sheet in the bottom of their miniature storage boxes, making them easy to transport as the figures don't move around or tip over.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Another related trick is that some people magnetize all of the bases on their miniatures. They then put a thin steel sheet in the bottom of their miniature storage boxes, making them easy to transport as the figures don't move around or tip over.
I am tempted to do this. You can also buy a steel tool box and - if you magnets are strong enough - you can literally put your figures on the sides and bottom.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dr. Faust on magnetizing bases. He's one of my go-tos for tutorials. On storage boxes.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote:
baelthazar wrote:I have just started magnetizing some WH 40K minis. Since I am an Eldar man, the spindly arms make the infantry of this size very very difficult (and I decided not to bother).
I've never magnetized myself, but I do recall reading that the way some players handle this is to put the magnet in the largest section, then use a piece of thinner ferrous wire for the spindly bits.

Another related trick is that some people magnetize all of the bases on their miniatures. They then put a thin steel sheet in the bottom of their miniature storage boxes, making them easy to transport as the figures don't move around or tip over.
I backed this for that purpose:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... splay-case
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zarathud

Kickstarter 2017

Post by Zarathud »

How is the A-Case? I either have loose individual minis or prepainted plastic. The individual minis are in some foam boxes or clear Plano (regular size)/Craft cases (medium and large base) for prepainted.

I only have a few proper armies. My Dungeon Command fits in a Stanley toolbox, and my X-Wing in 3 sets of red Plano (moving into box 4 soon). Battletech in a Chessex box.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Still waiting on my case to ship so don't know yet. :) Will let you know when it arrives.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, that case is very tempting.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:How is the A-Case? I either have loose individual minis or prepainted plastic. The individual minis are in some foam boxes or clear Plano (regular size)/Craft cases (medium and large base) for prepainted.

I only have a few proper armies. My Dungeon Command fits in a Stanley toolbox, and my X-Wing in 3 sets of red Plano (moving into box 4 soon). Battletech in a Chessex box.
The Bard was a little ambivalent about the A-Case: Victory, but the new A-Case+ may have fixed some of his issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbyrMUKcqA

I am trying to decide what to do as far as transportation. I have an old plastic tool box and was thinking about laying a nice metal sheet down and magnetizing bases. Other people say a heavy washer on the base provides enough stability. I do not have a lot of guys, but I certainly can't afford any damage!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

A couple interesting campaigns started recently.

Founders of Gloomhaven – A worker placement/city builder from the Gloomhaven developer. I went ahead and backed despite not having played Gloomhaven yet. Looks good.

Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 3 – If you have a half grand lying around, you can do a lot worse than Cthulhu Wars! I actually like Cthulhu Wars a lot but it is a luxury product. That said, I’m turned off by the pricing structure on this campaign. The lowest buy-in is $150 and all I really want from it is the new faction. Unless the stretch goals are amazing I will probably just wait for retail.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'd love to own that game, but having any part of it goes way past what I'd reasonably pay for a game. I like the bling, but not when it prices it out of reach for most people. Especially since the game is supposed to be very good.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:shock: ... Out of the Woods by American McGee — Kickstarter

Not a videogame. "Out of the Woods is a collection of traditional fairy tales adapted into a Card Game, Illustrated Book, and compilation of Art Prints."
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
there was a game designer called American McGee who having lived a life of dramatic ups and downs, decided to present a unique creative take on a selection of traditional fairy tales as a Table Top Card Game, Illustrated Book, Coloring Book, and Collection of Art. He hoped the lessons contained within might help others along their journey through the dark woods of existence.

If this project is a success we hope to turn "Out of the Woods" into an ongoing series of games, books, and original art which will explore lessons for overcoming life's challenges contained within classic fairy tales.

Enlarge Image
Gameplay is simple: Get rid of your cards to get Out of the Woods! The last player holding cards is trapped in the woods and eaten by wolves. Rawr.
Enlarge Image
Professionally finished on heavyweight, high quality card stock, the cards are built for slamming down a play of the game. Holstered in a custom designed, dark fairy tale book themed box, featureing magnetic flip top, molded plastic interior, foiling, and UV lamenate, the playing card and box set are a visual centrepiece that's right at home on the altar of your favourite unholy deity, or your book shelf or coffee table. Either is good, we're not here to judge!
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Isn't American McGee that guy who's made a living by standing near somebody looking for a name that used to be famous to hang on his project?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Eh, I’ve enjoyed some of his games but I’ve always felt like he is trying way too hard to be Tim Burton.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I'm thinking the games Scrapland and Bad Day LA asked him to join the projects so they could add his name to the title

American McGee Presents ...

But I could be wrong
Ain't nobody got time for that
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Lordnine wrote:A couple interesting campaigns started recently.

Founders of Gloomhaven – A worker placement/city builder from the Gloomhaven developer. I went ahead and backed despite not having played Gloomhaven yet. Looks good.
I'm currently backing this one, but I'm on the fence still. Looks interesting and the price point is good though.

A couple more kick starters I'm backing currently-

Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done from TMG games looks interesting. They do a really nice job with their deluxe games, I am really happy with the ones I have had from them so far and I think this one looks pretty interesting. So I'm in for deluxe.

Twin Stars This kickstarter only has a couple days left but it is a small wallet sized solo game that I think looks reasonably interesting. You can get in pretty cheap if you just want the cards and want to provide your own dice and tokens, or you can get the "deluxe" version which basically includes the game components.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just got my Kickstarter of the two expansions to Champions of Midgard. Going to be a while before I can get them on the table, though...heading off to camp for a week tomorrow.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

A little change of pace for me for a kickstarter. this time it's all about the apollo mission control.

It's for restoring the apollo mission control back to its glory days. I figure there are enough NASA fans here it is worth posting. I'm in for $10,000. Just kidding. But someone is. I'm in for far less than that.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

This started today..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cm ... f=activity

Not sure if it's worth backing... Probably won't even make the initial goal... :ninja:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher wrote:This started today..

Not sure if it's worth backing... Probably won't even make the initial goal... :ninja:
$301,594 pledged of $300,000 goal
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Punisher wrote:This started today..

$301,594 pledged of $300,000 goal

Yeah, but I am sure most people will cancel.. Untested company with an unpopular IP.. Doomed from the start...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Only 28 created kickstarters? How do they expect people to even know about them?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Like I said.. untested company.. and who wants to play a game about toilets? Unless this is a new Mario board game maybe?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You know, that is actually the worst I’ve ever seen a CMON game do on KS. Not even a million dollars yet. I can kind of understand though as two player games have basically zero appeal for me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Chrisoc13 wrote:A little change of pace for me for a kickstarter. this time it's all about the apollo mission control.

It's for restoring the apollo mission control back to its glory days. I figure there are enough NASA fans here it is worth posting. I'm in for $10,000. Just kidding. But someone is. I'm in for far less than that.
This is awesome.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Got an email yesterday regarding my Duchess gaming table. Should be shipping in the next week or so.

:horse:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent. Did you get the cup holder option for my visits? You know I slosh.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote:Got an email yesterday regarding my Duchess gaming table. Should be shipping in the next week or so.

:evil:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:Excellent. Did you get the cup holder option for my visits? You know I slosh.
Absolutely. I may have even gotten an extra set of the cup holders. I don't recall.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote:
hepcat wrote:Excellent. Did you get the cup holder option for my visits? You know I slosh.
Absolutely. I may have even gotten an extra set of the cup holders. I don't recall.
Search your email for one from with the subject "Survey Confirmation -- The Duchess - A Gaming Table from BoardGameTables.com"

Mine has the table, topper, four cup holders, bits tray, wing shelf, card holders. $137 in add-ons, $1022 total. Why did I remind myself of that? :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Awesome! I have had The Peasant for a while.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

TheMix wrote:Got an email yesterday regarding my Duchess gaming table. Should be shipping in the next week or so.

Awesome. Now that I've had mine for a couple weeks I can say I really like it. Having arm rests and looking down onto your games is the greatest feeling.

I do have a couple minor complaints though. The cup holder locations on the short sides are great but the long sides seem awkwardly placed. They are located directly in the middle, which means if you are sitting one person to a side, they will be directly over your knees. You could always move to side but this seems awkward in practice. It would have been nice if they gave you the option to put them in the corners as well.

The second issue I've had is that while the table feels very sturdy, the wood is really soft. I've already noticed a couple small dents showing up just from taking the topper off and on.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:Awesome! I have had The Peasant for a while.
Recently, I have been solo gaming on a card table from Walmart. I think that makes mine the Plague Rat line.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote:
Recently, I have been solo gaming on a card table from Walmart. I think that makes mine the Plague Rat line.
You Wal-Mart card table weaklings disgust me! Mine may appear to be a cheap Wal-Mart card table, but The Peasant comes straight from Amazon itself!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:
baelthazar wrote:
You Wal-Mart card table weaklings disgust me! Mine may appear to be a cheap Wal-Mart card table, but The Peasant comes straight from Amazon itself!
My Wal-Mart Plague Rat table does have one leg up on the Duchess - I can paint minis on it! I very much doubt Lordnine will be painting minis on his Duchess...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote:My Wal-Mart Plague Rat table does have one leg up on the Duchess - I can paint minis on it! I very much doubt Lordnine will be painting minis on his Duchess...
:lol:

My gaming tables are 2 $30 plastic 8 foot folding tables from CostCo.

I'm not likely to paint on them either because they are also my sweater and long sleeve knit shirt drying tables.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote:
baelthazar wrote:My Wal-Mart Plague Rat table does have one leg up on the Duchess - I can paint minis on it! I very much doubt Lordnine will be painting minis on his Duchess...
:lol:

My gaming tables are 2 $30 plastic 8 foot folding tables from CostCo.

I'm not likely to paint on them either because they are also my sweater and long sleeve knit shirt drying tables.
Add a decent table felt/speed cloth/foam rubber (AKA giant mousepad) cover or mat, and they're surprisingly effective gaming tables.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd love to find some affordable neoprene rolls to cut custom tops from. For now, though, my yoga mats do a fantastic job.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote:I'd love to find some affordable neoprene rolls to cut custom tops from. For now, though, my yoga mats do a fantastic job.
While it obviously depends on your definition of 'affordable', have a butcher's at The Foam Factory.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I'd love to find some affordable neoprene rolls to cut custom tops from. For now, though, my yoga mats do a fantastic job.
While it obviously depends on your definition of 'affordable', have a butcher's at The Foam Factory.
That blue cross-linked Polyethylene foam pad looks pretty sweet. I like that is is sound dampening... very interesting.