Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Lordnine »

For solo play you actually use a different character that embodies all of the virtues.

Someone asked on BGG about playing with less than four and they said it is perfectly viable to use only three virtues. I'm not sure about two players though.
Last edited by Lordnine on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's zero chance of me ever using it as a 4 player game, so that's a red flag for me. However, having an official solo mode is a plus. If they can figure out a 2 player version, even better but solo makes it viable for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am Interesting looking game. I backed it just to get in on the early bird pricing, but odds are I may back out of it. While I like the general idea of Solomon Kane, I really only know him from comic books and not a huge fan.
Conversely, I'm a huge Solomon Kane fan. I'm tempted by this one...

edit: never mind. 32 bucks for shipping brings this way too close to 150 smackers. too rich for my blood.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I like the idea of the setting, although I've been exposed to it mostly through the RPG (for Savage Worlds.) I can't be in the market right now, though. Hell, if I had that much to spend on a board game right now, I'd probably get Conan instead, which I'm really itching to try.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I REALLY want the Trickerion Collector's Edition with Dahlgaard's Academy expansion, but it's a lot of money for a game I'd have a hard time getting to the table. The expansion does have a solo mode which looks good, but not sure it would be worth it just for that.

I just LOVE the theme of this game. I've always been a sucker for anything having to do with early illusionists and magicians. I've read a ton of books on the subject, love looking at the old posters, etc. And the artwork in this one is just phenomenal.

On the other hand, it's supposedly a very heavy Euro, and I don't know anyone with the patience to learn, let alone play, one of those. Argh.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tudor by Academy Games (878 Vikings, etc.) ends in ~3 hours.
You are a Lord in the court of King Henry VIII gaining prestige and power in this worker placement Eurogame for 2 to 4 players.
It's got fake hand player screens to display your rings.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 am Tudor by Academy Games (878 Vikings, etc.) ends in ~3 hours.
You are a Lord in the court of King Henry VIII gaining prestige and power in this worker placement Eurogame for 2 to 4 players.

I think Hep and Zarathud and maybe RMC played this this weekend at Origins.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Normally I would back something late-medieval/early modern like Tudor. But the theme really bores me. I mean the main mechanic is sending courtiers to meeting rooms with lords. I play games to forget about work meetings, not simulate them!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:41 am Tudor by Academy Games (878 Vikings, etc.) ends in ~3 hours.

I think Hep and Zarathud and maybe RMC played this this weekend at Origins.
Hep and I did. It was not for me, and hep I think said he had no interest in it.

There were some neat ideas, but it didn't really work and the hands and rings were just way too gimmicky in my opinion.

It was an early build, and the components were not all the final product, so maybe the components would get better. But even with better components the mechanics were still not anything I enjoyed.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that saw politicking and worker placement and said, 'meh.'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, it's not terribly good. You need to come up with the game first, then the gimmick. This seemed to be the opposite.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those that missed it last time (and didn't grab an imported copy from Canada like I did), the 3rd Edition of Dawn of the Zeds is having a reprint KS and they've added 3 expansions.

I think it goes live next week, but that link takes you to the draft page where you can get a reminder email.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got my mini expansion for Nemo's War. I guess I didn't realize I was getting a cloth version of the map too. Very chic!
Covfefe!
KDH

Post by KDH »

. ... Enlarge Image
... ‘Binding of Isaac’ Card Game Kickstarter Launched, Funded in Under Two Hours <--- variety.com
... kickstarter ... the-binding-of-isaac-four-souls
$313,452 pledged of $50,000 goal
4,426 backers
29days to go

Variety Article
Spoiler:
“The Binding of Isaac” is getting a card game spin-off, the creator of the original game, Edmund McMillen announced Wednesday.

McMillen teased that he would have “something pretty cool” to reveal just past midnight, and then three hours later revealed the Kickstarter page for “The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls.”

“Designing this was fun and easy and I’m treating this as I would any video game that I’ve ever worked on,” said McMillen. “The goal is to make a very playable and entertaining card game that has a lot of strategy to it and embodies everything that’s unique about The Binding of Isaac.”

The card game hit its goal of $50,000 in funding in roughly one and a half hours, according to the Kickstarter page. Since the early morning hours, the game has already surpassed the $150,000 mark and is still growing, with 29 days still to go in the campaign.

The original dungeon crawler was an indie hit after its release in 2011 and subsequent popularity as a Let’s Play selection by various YouTube creators. “Four Souls” will see the return of familiar characters, items, and monsters from the game.

The base game will include 100 loot cards, 100 monster cards, and 100 treasure cards, so this is a pretty sizable game. Backers who pledge at least $25 can receive a game set, with additional rewards for the higher tiers of backing including expansion packs, collectible figurines, and even personalized art from McMillen.

The basic gameplay objectives are simple. Two to four players can play at a time, and each will attack monsters and gain loot which can be used to purchase items in order to take on bosses. The defeat of a boss results in gaining souls, and the first player to obtain four souls is the winner. However, various playable character abilities change up gameplay. For example, Maggy has the ability to heal, and Cain can modify the card deck. Oh, and there’s also tarot cards which alter the course of the game, and curse cards that can help players take out whoever is in the lead.

McMillen is hosting a Launch Day Livestream and Q&A session on Wednesday, June 27 at 12:00 PT on the Kickstarter page. Backers can submit questions leading up to the stream, and everyone else can tune in for the prototype reveal of the game in action.

McMillen is hosting a Launch Day Livestream and Q&A session on Wednesday, June 27 at 12:00 PT on the Kickstarter page.

That's ... NOW
Ain't nobody got time for that
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Random and somewhat interesting kickstarter. Thinking of getting behind it backing.

Raccoon Tycoon

Strange to even weird albeit beautiful art... but the economic aspect looks fun. Quirky game. I'm following for now.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Looks neat. I will say though that the last Kickstarter I saw promoting Glenn Drover as the designer was (in my opinion) a complete and utter disaster. Warquest. It is probably the only Kickstarter that delivered a product that I still strongly regret backing.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Good to know. I'm just watching it for now. Not sold on it. Lately I'm very slow to back a new untested game these days so I'll probably just follow it and never back it. But good to know there been some rougher history there in the past.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the look, that's for sure.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm Looks neat. I will say though that the last Kickstarter I saw promoting Glenn Drover as the designer was (in my opinion) a complete and utter disaster. Warquest. It is probably the only Kickstarter that delivered a product that I still strongly regret backing.
The last one was Railroad Rivals. I posted it here a few months ago. I ordered it after taking in a demo at a local (for Glenn) coffee shop.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really tempted on backing the second printing of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm
Lordnine wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm Looks neat. I will say though that the last Kickstarter I saw promoting Glenn Drover as the designer was (in my opinion) a complete and utter disaster. Warquest. It is probably the only Kickstarter that delivered a product that I still strongly regret backing.
The last one was Railroad Rivals. I posted it here a few months ago. I ordered it after taking in a demo at a local (for Glenn) coffee shop.
The team is different as well so it may be perfectly fine. I am just bitter about Warquest because they kept promising Glenn would address the design problems in a upcoming update and it never really happened. The tiny update we did get basically improved the game from a 2/10 to a 4/10.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm really tempted on backing the second printing of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom
I wish I could give you a detailed impression, but I'm backing for all the supplemental materials. I own the base game but have yet to get it to my table. Just from reading through it all and setting up the board, it's a keeper. This is just a straight up reprint. Apparently another KS project with full-fledged expansions and additional new material is coming soon. What amazes me most about this game is that they came out of nowhere - it's their first attempt at designing something and they hit it out of the park. Theme is off the charts.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Pavlov is in the house! 8-)
-mf
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm I'm really tempted on backing the second printing of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom
I'm looking closely at Dungeon Degenerates also, though I'm not sure why I wouldn't just order the first edition from the maker. They still have stock, and from what I can tell the 2nd edition changes very little. No need to wait until October to play. Fighting the "But it's an upgraded version!" urge . . . :oops:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I don't think this is of interest to anyone here, but Tachyon Squadron from Evil Hat Games is in the last few hours of it's campaign, and selfishly I'd like to see it reach it's next KS goal.

From the Kickstarter:

Tachyon Squadron is a Fate Core supplement that blends space opera and military sci-fi. It's Evil Hat’s take on popular stories about interstellar battles, like the ones that have ships with wings named after letters and the one where robots chase the human race through space. If you’re interested in deep space dogfights, friendly—well, usually—rivalries with fellow pilots, and playing scrappy underdogs with the deck stacked against you, this game is for you.

Now this is fun, but the next stretch goal is what I want:

STRETCH GOAL 7 (UNLOCKS AT $26,000): The Battle of Britain: At $26,000, we’ll start work on The Battle of Britain, a 5,000 word electronic supplement that applies Tachyon Squadron’s dogfighting rules to a WWII squadron of Spitfire pilots defending Britain. This supplement will include plane stats and mechanics to help you take to the skies with the Allied forces.

That just sounds like a blast. Although I would probably be looking at doing a "Black Sheep Squadron" type of game.

So, if any interest...throw a few bucks their way.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Fishbelly wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 am
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm I'm really tempted on backing the second printing of Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom
I'm looking closely at Dungeon Degenerates also, though I'm not sure why I wouldn't just order the first edition from the maker. They still have stock, and from what I can tell the 2nd edition changes very little. No need to wait until October to play. Fighting the "But it's an upgraded version!" urge . . . :oops:
You F#$%ers... I was trying to be good. Now I suddenly have an order in for the first printing and the extra characters (why wait for the KS). Thankfully, I am selling some unplayed games and had the money in my Paypal account.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

You F#$%ers... I was trying to be good. Now I suddenly have an order in for the first printing and the extra characters (why wait for the KS). Thankfully, I am selling some unplayed games and had the money in my Paypal account.
Please let us know what you think. I was going to pull the trigger then had an argument with my wife about bills and spending, so I must force myself to hold off for a bit. No way she would miss noticing the brightly colored chaos of Degenerates on the game table and not comment on the new purchase. So hard being responsible sometimes.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Didn’t get to the Battle of Britain supplement. Dammit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I successfully avoided the temptation of the Solomon Kane kickstarter. However, if it turns out to be a winner and folks start raving about it upon release, I will blame each and every one of you for no reason beyond the simple fact that I won't want to accept any blame myself.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am I successfully avoided the temptation of the Solomon Kane kickstarter. However, if it turns out to be a winner and folks start raving about it upon release, I will blame each and every one of you for no reason beyond the simple fact that I won't want to accept any blame myself.
Have you considered a run for public office?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I do consider myself Mayor of My Pants.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am I successfully avoided the temptation of the Solomon Kane kickstarter.
You're just saving your money for Monday, right?

Cthulhu: Death May Die (CMON)

Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy

Both have decided to start their Kickstarters on the same day for some reason.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

C'MON lost me with Massive Darkness. I need actual reviews of the finished product before I give them money again.

And I'm not a big Eclipse fan. I'll play it, but don't see myself buying it.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Eclipse v2 is going to tear me apart. Yes, I WANT it. But I already have ALL of it. Organized.

BUT it doesn't get played as much as it should because it's a space Euro at its core -- with not enough Ameritrash combat to pull in the Chicago crew.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm Eclipse v2 is going to tear me apart. Yes, I WANT it. But I already have ALL of it. Organized.

BUT it doesn't get played as much as it should because it's a space Euro at its core -- with not enough Ameritrash combat to pull in the Chicago crew.
I'm in a similar boat. Eclipse is one of, if not my favorite game. And yet I don't get to play it very often because it is long and takes up a lot of space on a table. My rationality for getting the new edition is that the reworked player boards SHOULD make it easier to explain the game and also will be easier to arrange, which should in turn make it easier to play. That's the hope anyways...
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:07 pm C'MON lost me with Massive Darkness. I need actual reviews of the finished product before I give them money again.
I understand on that one. I didn't think MD was bad, just mediocre. I have a lot of similar games that are better than mediocre though. To be honest, the art style of C:DMD isn't really doing much for me. I might back it but I will need to see some game-play first. I shared the link mostly because I know the KS will attract a ton of attention and because that massive Cthulhu statue is pure audacity.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm Eclipse v2 is going to tear me apart. Yes, I WANT it. But I already have ALL of it. Organized.

I don’t mind the combat. I love GMT war games, so Eclipse’s dumbed down approach is a nice change of pace.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Wow, the Eclipse Kickstarter is seriously underwhelming. I was expecting to back immediately and I hit "Remind me later" instead. It's like they have never seen a modern Kickstarter campaign.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Black Orchestra Conspirator Packs KS is live, offering a reprint and additional conspirators for current owners.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yep, my buddy Terry is already all over that. He's a total completionist whore. :D