Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hepcat »

Man, you need to play Sword and Sorcery: Immortal Souls. It's what Massive Darkness SHOULD have been.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

I missed the Kickstarter for the Reissue of Deep Space D-6 and its new Mini-Expansion, which plays much like a solitaire dice-based equivalent of FTL: Faster Than Light. However, I notice they are still accepting pre-orders.

While the latest update suggests manufacturing and assembly has been a long time coming, I suspect they may ship out for delivery before the year is through.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anyone interested in the fantastic Mage Knight (lite) meets Cutthroat Caverns and invites a handful of miniatures to the party before introducing itself as Dungeon Alliance, there's a kickstarter up now for a 2nd edition printing and some expansions. I absolutely love this game. Solo or 2 to 4 players, it never fails to be fun.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 pm Anyone interested in the fantastic Mage Knight (lite) meets Cutthroat Caverns and invites a handful of miniatures to the party before introducing itself as Dungeon Alliance, there's a kickstarter up now for a 2nd edition printing and some expansions. I absolutely love this game. Solo or 2 to 4 players, it never fails to be fun.
I and my wallet now hate you.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It really is a blast. Although I fear I may have made an enemy of Redwarlord's wife after I snuck into a room she was in and put in the killing shot for a large monster she'd been struggling with for 2 turns, thereby stealing a bunch of her victory points. The resulting jest was that I was hiding behind a curtain in the room, then when the monster was weak, I popped out and jabbed it with a dagger before disappearing back behind the curtain.

Andrew Parks is behind the game. He also made the immensely fun Core Worlds and (the often mentioned around OO) Star Trek: Frontiers, as well as the Attack Wing games from Wizkids.

He's added an insane amount of play variants to the game. Coop, solo, semi coop, pvp, campaign system, questing...it's all there.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's also apparently offering NJ local pickup, so maybe I'll do that. Not very often I can not only support but acquire board game from a (relatively) close NJ creator.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I expect a picture of you accepting the game from Parks himself, with you giving a big thumbs up and smiling insanely.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 pm He's also apparently offering NJ local pickup, so maybe I'll do that. Not very often I can not only support but acquire board game from a (relatively) close NJ creator.
I had saved the KS before seeing this.. Now I'm even more interested since I can back a local and maybe go pick up in person.. I'd have to go for the full 100-150 pledge since I don't have the original.. Will mostly depend on my funds' situation at the time of closing..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

on a side note, it would be nice if KS let us follow people other than creators so if you find people with similar interests you can be alerted if a friend finds something.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Punisher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm on a side note, it would be nice if KS let us follow people other than creators so if you find people with similar interests you can be alerted if a friend finds something.
You can. I follow several of my friends, not hepcat as he would cost me too much money, and I get emails whenever they back something.

I forget how I did it, but I think it was pretty easy.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

RMC wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 pm
Punisher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm on a side note, it would be nice if KS let us follow people other than creators so if you find people with similar interests you can be alerted if a friend finds something.
You can. I follow several of my friends, not hepcat as he would cost me too much money, and I get emails whenever they back something.

I've only seen an option to follow Facebook friends.. if you see another way let me know please.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Punisher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 pm
RMC wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 pm

I've only seen an option to follow Facebook friends.. if you see another way let me know please.
You are correct, I had not realized that all of the friends I was following were on facebook. :o

Sorry about that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So you probably DO follow me. Hah!
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am So you probably DO follow me. Hah!
I refuse to answer that question. :oops:
wire

Post by wire »

wire wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm One of the guys in my Pathfinder group (the guy in the video) put up a Kickstarter for his hand crafted dice box and tray system. They are quality pieces with many different wood type options. The magnets he uses are strong and hold everything to together and you need a little muscle to get them to separate. The box and tray can be kind of expensive based on the wood and optional things like inlay designs but they are quality pieces. Thought maybe a few people on here may be interested in checking out the Kickstarter.

The Nomad's Armory
I ended up pledging for a cherry dice box with dimensional dice inlay and a walnut dice tray.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hands in the Sea has arrived! Watching Drive Thru Review's let's play to grok the rules.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know I shouldn't be annoyed, but Chip Theory Games decided to do their own shipping for Too Many Bones: Undertow and all the other stuff from the latest kickstarter, which means that fulfillment will take anywhere from one to two more months. So I'm annoyed. :x
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm not...

:ninja:

</ducks>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm I know I shouldn't be annoyed, but Chip Theory Games decided to do their own shipping for Too Many Bones: Undertow and all the other stuff from the latest kickstarter, which means that fulfillment will take anywhere from one to two more months. So I'm annoyed. :x
I'm not annoyed, because I backed their last two kickstarters and knew what I was in for, but I am frustrated that I cannot stop myself from checking daily for a tracking number, reading all the comments on the kickstarter page, checking the pledge manager to see if it changed since the last time I checked, etc. :oops:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My Too Many Bones came super fast. I guess luck of the draw. I do wish I had added 40 days in Daelore and Age of Tyrants to my order though. Also some extra characters would be nice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I added pretty much everything after the campaign ended. That probably means I'm last on the list. :(
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got my copy of Tiny Epic Zombies. It looks meatier than I expected. Looking forward to giving it a go this weekend in a solo game or something.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I enter my sixth week of waiting for all my Undertow/Too Many Bones stuff to ship out to me, while still hearing that it may be up to a month more of waiting (I'm hoping they learn a valuable lesson on this and realize that saving a few bucks and pissing off a bunch of your customers isn't a good trade off), I saw that Pax Pamir is getting a second edition.

The Pax series is a fantastic set of small box, INCREDIBLY deep historical games. The series was started by Phil Eklund (of Greenland, Neanderthal, High Frontier, etc. fame) under his Sierra Madre Games banner. Pax Pamir was (I believe) the first game to NOT be developed by either Phil or his son. Instead it was made by Cole Wehrle, who is on the hotness list right now for his latest game, Root.

I have the first edition of Pax Pamir, and I've played it a few times. However, the learning curve and difficult to understand end game conditions, combined with a table state that can be equally confusing at any given time, made it hard to drum up enthusiasm for. But it had some great ideas that I thought were pretty inventive. One of them was the use of spies. Everyone could buy a spy card, and then the meeple for that spy would travel around every other player's tableau, causing disruption, stealing away other characters from other players, and extorting cash from them.

I'm hoping this second edition, which is moving to Wehrle's own game company for design and distribution, solves all the fiddly/hard to understand parts, yet keeps all the cool things. I'm backing, although I do think the 70 dollar price tag (60 for the game, 10 for shipping) is a bit high. Although this is being moved from a small box game to a large box version, and will include a large cloth map.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 am As I enter my sixth week of waiting for all my Undertow/Too Many Bones stuff to ship out to me, while still hearing that it may be up to a month more of waiting (I'm hoping they learn a valuable lesson on this and realize that saving a few bucks and pissing off a bunch of your customers isn't a good trade off), I saw that Pax Pamir is getting a second edition.
I'm still a big Chip Theory Games fan, but I admit to slowly succumbing to the numbing pain that comes from seeing SO many posts about Too Many Bones Undertow owners at BGG and other places. This is my third straight kickstarter with their company, and I've been on the tail end of every single shipment. I know it's pure coincidence, but at this point I just wanna play my damnable game! :grund:
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah I'm in for pax pamir. I'm a big fan of Cole's designs and this edition looks great. Plus metal coins available as an add-on... Hard to pass up on. I've been buying all of his designs and enjoying them a lot. John company is crazy interesting.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks like Western Legend will be here on Thursday for me. Of course, we are bringing up a hospital in early October, so I have no time to do anything, so it will sit unopened for a while on my gaming table. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooh...holiday game option in December?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'll have a copy at OctoCon (not to take away from your Holiday Gaming Pleasure, by any means.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, count me in!

Of course. RMC could just crash on my couch for Octocon again if he wants to play too. :ninja:
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am Ooh...holiday game option in December?
Of course.

And when is the next Octocon? I'll have to lobby the wife for a weekend trip to Chicago again. :)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My copy of Western Legends just arrived. Have been hearing pretty good things about the gameplay and looking forward to playing it... But opening my copy I was struck by how cheaply made it feels.

So a question for all of you if you will humor me. As many of you know, I designed a board game and it will hopefully be arriving for KS backers by December. I spent a lot of money making sure the whole experience felt really high-quality. The cardboard tokens in DinoGenics are twice as thick as those in WL and the player boards (thanks to being double layered) are about 6 times as thick as the ones in WL.

I did this because component quality is really important to me but I’m curious how everyone else feels about it. Would you be happy to receive a game with lesser components if it was cheaper or do you prefer to pay for the luxury items?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Of course.

And when is the next Octocon? I'll have to lobby the wife for a weekend trip to Chicago again. :)
October 12th and 13th. Let me know if you can make it so I can convince Zarathud to run a version of Kobolds Ate My Baby for you that weekend.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm
RMC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Of course.

October 12th and 13th. Let me know if you can make it so I can convince Zarathud to run a version of Kobolds Ate My Baby for you that weekend.
Oh god... No more Kobolds ate my baby... I can't handle that event any more... :) It's fun, but man two times is more than enough for me.

Damn, the new hospital goes live the 6th, so I am working solid until the 20th or so. I have 9 systems that are my teams responsibility, so no one is going to let me out of the state that close to go live. <sigh>
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We'll just have to break out the RMC doll again and sit it at one of the tables. :(

Anywho...

Just backed the 2nd edition of Machina Arcana on kickstarter. A steampunk/Lovecraft mashup in the form of a dungeon crawl, I was rather miffed I missed it the first time around. So I had to back it in spite of my claims of slowing down my kickstarter habit. :(
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm My copy of Western Legends just arrived. Have been hearing pretty good things about the gameplay and looking forward to playing it... But opening my copy I was struck by how cheaply made it feels.

So a question for all of you if you will humor me. As many of you know, I designed a board game and it will hopefully be arriving for KS backers by December. I spent a lot of money making sure the whole experience felt really high-quality. The cardboard tokens in DinoGenics are twice as thick as those in WL and the player boards (thanks to being double layered) are about 6 times as thick as the ones in WL.

I did this because component quality is really important to me but I’m curious how everyone else feels about it. Would you be happy to receive a game with lesser components if it was cheaper or do you prefer to pay for the luxury items?
I'm always a bit disappointed when I get a game and the contents are not up to snuff. However, you can overcome mediocre components with great gameplay. You can make a game with the best damn components in the world, and your gameplay it off? Off to the auction it goes.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Zarathud »

Gaming is a luxury hobby to me. I want the entire experience to be quality -- which is why I spend extra on organizers. Components matter.

Metal coins is where I draw the line, though.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm My copy of Western Legends just arrived. Have been hearing pretty good things about the gameplay and looking forward to playing it... But opening my copy I was struck by how cheaply made it feels.

Like others have said, I am happy to pay a little more for better components. Not a LOT more, I don't need minis when meeples will do. Nicer cards and cardboard are always welcome.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 am Kickstarter squared - Gloomhaven on my Duchess
Enlarge Image
BoardGameTables.com is back with their next iteration of the Duchess, the Jasper (built in Jasper, MO or MS or M-something):

Built in the US with all the lessons learned from the last go round. Biggest change in my eyes in the switch to a three piece topper. The length-wise two-piece topper on the Duchess is a bit of a pain in the ass. It's enough of an upgrade that I was actually thinking about it, but I don't need a THIRD board game table.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Zarathud »

I'm going to order a 3x6 foot table soon, and ask for the 3 part top. I'll get it in 3 months, not 4-5. The Jasper looked nice at GenCon, but I really want to use standard size game mats.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Would definitely prefer the 3 part topper. Not so much because the 2 part topper is unwieldy (though it definitely is), but because I ended up with a bit of sag in one side of mine so the two tops don't line up. I think going to 3 pieces would reduce that possibility.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.