Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by hepcat »

And honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize it might be better to drop my TMB pledge and just buy it at Gencon next year. No shipping, they usually include stretch goals in a bundle, etc..

Edit: yeah, that's what I'm going to do. As Smoove said, they do have a storefront online. But more importantly, they seem to offer great bundle deals at Gencon each year for their games. I'll just hold off until then.

However, I wholeheartedly recommend this one for folks who want a cheaper alternative to the first game in the series. You can get a feel for it with this and move up if you like it.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Since you can buy a reprint of the first game this way, do you think it is work the bundle pack price for both? You said it was excellent solo?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to regret my purchase of the 2nd edition set from them. I do find the cards a bit difficult to read and apparently that's something they're going to address with the 3rd edition. Also, had I known there was going to be a smaller ($68) stand-alone expansion I probably just would have waited to get that instead.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's an awfully big chunk of change. I'm uncomfortable telling folks to drop that much on any game without trying it first. However, I can say that I really enjoy TMB. And it's great solo...although there are some tyrants (bosses in the game) that are pretty much impossible to kill with only one gearloc. That being said, just grab two gearlocs and play them.

The fun comes from the skill choices. You have an enormous amount of choices when leveling up your gearlock during a game. There are almost two dozen dice for each character...and each of those dice represent a skill or consumable you can acquire. If you like playing with builds in mmorpg's to see how they do, you'll love this game. Heck, I don't really enjoy that and I still love this game.

I would recommend starting with just the base set, the standalone expansion if you can wait until summer of 2018, or looking for a holiday bundle price in a few months (I believe they do that every year around Christmas).
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm I do find the cards a bit difficult to read and apparently that's something they're going to address with the 3rd edition.
The Carlson brothers are absolutely great at offering inexpensive upgrades to their games if they make changes. So you'll be able to get the updated cards at some point, I'm sure.

I also find the cards hard to read, but with the right light I've gotten used to it. Have you had a chance to play it yet? I would feel horrible if I steered you into a game you disliked. :oops:
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Because TMB both first and second edition are all sold out, I think this is the only way to get a copy. I may spring for both, because I love skill optimization and character building. I was going to put some money on Joan of Arc, but this will get played more. And 7th Continent just is not drawing me in.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The right answer is to leverage your gaming group.....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:49 pm The Carlson brothers are absolutely great at offering inexpensive upgrades to their games if they make changes. So you'll be able to get the updated cards at some point, I'm sure.

I also find the cards hard to read, but with the right light I've gotten used to it. Have you had a chance to play it yet? I would feel horrible if I steered you into a game you disliked. :oops:
Yeah, they're not misprinted, but they could use some color adjustment to make it easier. I'm sure my future old-man self will appreciate it. Based on everything else I've seen I have no doubts they'll make it right. No worries about steering me wrong. My regret is that I've been really, really, really good at not buying 1st edition games but instead waiting for revisions and updates to come via a 2nd edition - particularly for anything via KS. I know the 3rd edition is minor tweaks, I'm just not used to seeing quick revisions and turnaround like that otherwise I would have waited.

I haven't played a true game, just worked through the tutorial scenario that they provided. It's definitely a cool game and I'm still impressed with the quality of the components - they're absolutely ridiculous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm The right answer is to leverage your gaming group.....
Normally I do...but the ridiculously good reviews and the limited availability are killing my will to resist.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:The right answer is to leverage your gaming group.....
As a primarily solo gamer these days, this conversation looks weird. And somehow, I always convince the “group” to spend money... Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rant time:

I just learned that Sierra Madre Games' next kickstarter is going to offer updated versions of both Greenland and Neanderthal, two of my favorites. However, they're not going to offer upgrade packs (at least that's the current plan).

I'm rapidly getting sick of buying a game, then finding out later (oftentimes within a few freakin' months) that a better version is coming. Kickstarter is the worst offender for this. I know it's a first world problem and I realize that some of the game companies DO offer upgrade packs (heck, the makers of Aeon's End offered a complete set of all their 1st edition cards updated with their 2nd edition look when the sequel was announced...for free), but it's becoming more frequent and less likely that you'll get a chance to upgrade inexpensively...even when those upgrades are essentially fixes to the game you already backed in good faith.

:grund:

Argh...sorry...just had to vent.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's the rush to Kickstart and then keep adding things to satisfy the mobs. Tasty Minstrel has a little insanity with its "deluxified" model.

For me, it's the all in cost that's too much. CMON Rising Suns and 7th Continent alone count for most of the year's gaming budget.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I can understand your frustration, but having now looked behind the curtain at the cost of producing anything that is a variable, I can understand why they don’t offer upgrade kits. My manufacturer limits everything to at least 1000 copies. That’s a lot of upgrade kits you might not sell.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Jagged Alliance - The Board Game ... Kickstarter
Jagged Alliance: The Boardgame is a rich and variable co-operative tactical combat game true to the game’s digital predecessor with 999+ minutes of replayable campaign and extra scenarios. Take the role of your favorite Jagged Alliance mercenaries and fight the armies of an evil dictator to free the nation of Arulco from oppression. JA:TBG is full of tough choices, always keeping you and your team on the edge of victory or defeat.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, November 17 2017 1:25 AM PST

$22,561 pledged of .. $58,902 goal

275 backers
26 days to go
Ain't nobody got time for that
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Jagged Alliance? Well, crap... I sense more money about to leave my bank account.
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My Kingdom Death 1.5 core set just arrived. I was..not ready for this. Easily the largest box for a game I own and it was packaged with a ridiculous amount of care.

I saw the Jagged Alliance KS and my first thought was that I guess the digital series was killed enough times that they needed to move into cardboard. Hadn't looked it it though.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You backed Kingdom Death? I'm impressed.

I thought it looked amazing. But I just don't play often enough to drop that amount of cash on a game. Good luck!

By the way, I'm pretty sure that it's available on TableTop Simulator. I wouldn't try playing without having all the instructions local, but once you get a handle on it, if you want company....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was able to snag a Black Friday Gold Lantern pledge last year during the campaign. I've done my best to avoid spoilers and now that I'm comfortable with the model building aspect of the hobby, it's not a barrier anymore. Everything I've seen so far has justified the cost. I'll see if I can get some good photos, but I was actually speechless opening the box. It's absolutely ridiculous.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And for those that don't need more stuff...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 pm Yeah, I was able to snag a Black Friday Gold Lantern pledge last year during the campaign. I've done my best to avoid spoilers and now that I'm comfortable with the model building aspect of the hobby, it's not a barrier anymore. Everything I've seen so far has justified the cost. I'll see if I can get some good photos, but I was actually speechless opening the box. It's absolutely ridiculous.
The guy that does the CTRL+ALT+DEL webcomic picked it up the first time around. I read his write-ups. It sounds amazing. But I'm probably too lazy to actually play it. It definitely takes some effort.

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Folklore 2nd printing is up on kickstarter now.

I'm backing at the 30 dollar level to get the hard copies of the adventure creation kit and a story line that was previously released as a pdf. But I also hope that I can pick up a few things I missed out on that I think I do need when they open the pledge manager.

I have my issues with Folklore, but I still like it. I think you have to wrap your head around the idea that the game isn't about starting off powerful. You're going to have to fight every inch of the way to beef up...and even then, you really need to think before leaping into battle because you're still a mighty squishy person in a world full of hammers. Limited ammo, one use spells...the game is all about managing what you have.

And yeah, I'm a little annoyed that they have updated rules and some errata fixes in this edition and no way to get them for first time backers. But they seem to be pretty minor issues, from what I've seen.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really like Folklore and I think once more copies start hitting tables, the reviews will demonstrate it's probably the closest thing to an actual D&D board game that we've seen. Unfortunately I really think I'm going to sell my copy as I don't think it's balanced for play with less than 2 adventurers. This means it'll never hit my table so I'd rather get it to someone that will enjoy it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

can't you just play with 2 characters when you only have one other person that can join you? I do that with a lot of my dungeon crawlers when I can't get someone else.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thematically I hate doing that, and I know it's a "me" thing. I tend to really get into a character (particularly when you have a game like this where they have stats and skills) and have a problem splitting my attention. I'm the same with the computer RPGs. Love single character games but struggle with party-based game play unless the AI is robust and handles 90% of the functions. I've tried numerous board game RPG-like games and it's always been a problem. I keep hoping there's true solo or 2 character RPG board game hybrid out there that actually works, but I've yet to play it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, I can certainly understand that. I get the same way. But over the years, I've realized I just ain't gonna find a truly solo friendly dungeon crawl outside a video game. So I've gotten used to playing two or even three characters at a time. Sure, my costume changes are annoying when switching between characters, but it's only truly troublesome when there's one other player who has to watch me.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I think Gloomhaven has me the most nervous as I understand it'll require multiple characters to solo. I think the thing with Folklore that is pushing me over the edge is the amount of *stuff* you need to keep track of. Above and beyond the gear, there's honest-to-goodness character sheets with abilities and skills. It's just a lot to juggle (for me) solo and I had to go painfully slow during the two-character tutorial adventure.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hep, I should try and get some time with you to test drive this one. See if my group would be interested in playing it or not.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:55 pm Hep, I should try and get some time with you to test drive this one. See if my group would be interested in playing it or not.
...and Terraforming Mars.

I'm free whenever. Just let me know and I'll get Seppe to join us. We've already played through the first adventure, but I wouldn't mind tackling it again with the correct mindset as mentioned earlier. But you'd have two players familiar with the game getting you up to speed.

If Zarathud could get away, we could have a four player extravaganza. But he put himself into indentured servitude recently. I doubt we'll see him until his kids are in college.
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:42 pm I think Gloomhaven has me the most nervous as I understand it'll require multiple characters to solo. I think the thing with Folklore that is pushing me over the edge is the amount of *stuff* you need to keep track of. Above and beyond the gear, there's honest-to-goodness character sheets with abilities and skills. It's just a lot to juggle (for me) solo and I had to go painfully slow during the two-character tutorial adventure.
Yeah, you can't play Gloomhaven with just one character. It just isn't possible. And when playing solo and with multiple characters, you're technically supposed to bump the difficulty up because part of the game's mechanics is not knowing when others are going to act. Since initiative is secretly chosen each turn by everyone, "perfect knowledge" of this when playing solo is a pretty big advantage when it comes to planning.

But it's worth it. It's so worth it.

Folklore's management system isn't really that bad. Just mark down any statuses you might pick up, and then spin down some dice to track your vita and power, and away you go. The damn vita and power trackers they include with the game are seriously frustrating. I don't know why Stephen Gibson insists on using them in all his games.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gloomhaven has be nervous because it was supposed to release to retail in July and then August and then September then October and now it's December and all the while the ordering price from vendors had gone from $149 to $199.

I am so mad I decided I wanted it and when looking or it one day after the kick-starter ended.

I have such Gloomhaven player envy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I really should sell you mine, there is hardly a chance I will actually play it. I'm going to try though...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've waited this long (since April/May), I can make it another month. I will hope the price gouging will is not a factor with retailers after it finally releases to retail, but we'll see.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:19 pm I've waited this long (since April/May), I can make it another month. I will hope the price gouging will is not a factor with retailers after it finally releases to retail, but we'll see.
(CSI Still has it listed at $119... Whew Amazon is crazy high.)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Hey, so there is this really cool looking Dinosaur game on Kickstarter called DinoGenics. Anyways, it's ending in 18 hours. You should take a look at it. :D

(Seriously though, while I appreciate anyone who wants to back it, please don’t feel obligated. At this point a couple backers aren’t going to make or break the project.)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We do want the $125k dino snack pack stretch goal. So close!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm leaning towards backing Detective: City of Angels. Been a while since I've backed a kickstarter, especially one this expensive, though...
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I received an email from the Shadows of Brimstone KS yesterday. They are still shipping out Wave 2 orders.... So for a game that was originally estimated to ship in Aug 2014, there are still people that have not gotten everything. It boggles the mind.

At least the email didn't whine about money.

Black Lives Matter

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I'm backing Root on kickstarter currently. The artwork is very interesting, and it's by a pretty decent designer, who is getting some attention these days- Cole Wehrle. Looks very interesting and unique, so I think I'll be getting it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm I received an email from the Shadows of Brimstone KS yesterday. They are still shipping out Wave 2 orders.... So for a game that was originally estimated to ship in Aug 2014, there are still people that have not gotten everything. It boggles the mind.

At least the email didn't whine about money.

I think that’s for the wave 2s stuff, which are additional figures they threw in for backers who paid to add them on. I could be wrong though.

Still, it did take way too long for everything to ship out. They promised their entire future product line for the game and it bit them in the ass.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. It's for the Wave 2 shipping of the "extras", not the base games. Still, I got my Wave 2 shipment quite a while ago. I find it amazing that they are still doing them. Maybe if they spent less time visiting conventions and patting themselves on the back?

Granted, I still haven't put all my Wave 2 stuff together or played a game with any of the stuff. But that's not the point, dangit!

Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Looking forward to this hitting Kickstarter: Commander in Chief: Executive Power.
The former president described the game as “a fully immersive executive-branch adventure for players 12 and up” and said it has a playing time of approximately 20 hours. According to Obama, one player acts as the president, leading the administration through various challenges, while the other players work together as vice president, chief of staff, and various cabinet secretaries to implement policy initiatives and maintain the day-to-day agenda of the West Wing.

Players reportedly must complete several side quests to keep the White House running, such as seeking Senate confirmations, hosting state dinners, and holding press conferences following national events such as mass shootings or holiday celebrations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :lol:
Covfefe!