Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Fishbelly

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by Fishbelly »

baelthazar wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I'd love to find some affordable neoprene rolls to cut custom tops from. For now, though, my yoga mats do a fantastic job.
While it obviously depends on your definition of 'affordable', have a butcher's at The Foam Factory.
That blue cross-linked Polyethylene foam pad looks pretty sweet. I like that is is sound dampening... very interesting.
What thickness is standard for gaming? I'm considering building my own setup, but have never played on a custom table before.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Fishbelly wrote:What thickness is standard for gaming? I'm considering building my own setup, but have never played on a custom table before.
1/8" (3mm) or 1/4" (6mm) would be fairly typical. Anything much thicker is probably overkill for tabletop gaming.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Fishbelly wrote:What thickness is standard for gaming? I'm considering building my own setup, but have never played on a custom table before.
1/8" (3mm) or 1/4" (6mm) would be fairly typical. Anything much thicker is probably overkill for tabletop gaming.
Awesome--not as pricey as I feared.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

SpaceLord wrote:Plug coming up!

My friend Daniel Berger has designed a game, now on Kickstarter, called Hands in the Sea, set during the First Punic War. It’s inspired by Martin Wallace’s A Few Acres of Snow. It’s a two-player deckbuilding wargame, and has been playtested to death, so we are fairly certain that there’s no Halifax Hammer exploit. Dan also designed Caesar's Gallic War, a well-regarded, if little-known block wargame.

Hands in the Sea is really good, and I readily admit to being a playtester.
That post was from the 2015 Kickstarter thread. Apparently SpaceLord wasn't lying, because the reviews really were great. While I missed out that time around, I'm on board for the second edition Kickstarter, now live.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ricky Royal (a youtube boardgame reviewer who specializes in solo gaming) has a kickstarter for his own game, Renegade.

I backed it mainly on the strength of Ricky's solo variants for games that he posts on BGG. The Pax Porfiriana solo variant is my hands down favorite. If he brings that amount of awesome to this game, it will be worth it.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Ricky Royal (a youtube boardgame reviewer who specializes in solo gaming) has a kickstarter for his own game, Renegade.

I backed it mainly on the strength of Ricky's solo variants for games that he posts on BGG. The Pax Porfiriana solo variant is my hands down favorite. If he brings that amount of awesome to this game, it will be worth it.
I've flagged it for later review. It looks like it might be an interesting puzzle game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Argh. <shakes fist at Hepcat> Trying to not back as much stuff, man.

Oh, and there's a expansion for Flash Point: Tragic Events.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Another one bites the dust? The Mandate seems to be dead ... and me one of the backers. :cry:
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm glad that this is the first I heard of it, then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

That’s disappointing and a little surprising. The last video they put out was actually looking pretty good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Argh. <shakes fist at Hepcat> Trying to not back as much stuff, man.

Turnabout is fair play, I guess. :D I just backed Tragic Events. But Flash Point is still one of my favorite coops. Plus, 20 bucks isn't that bad.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was looking at Ticwatch S, the new Android Wear watch, and right now it's 140 to 165 (i.e. 20% or less discount off MSRP)

It's still a bit more expensvie than what I wanted to pay for a Smartwatch (right about 100)

The LumNkey was kinda interesting (a key topper with built-in light that triggers when it sensed your home wifi) but at $10 and requires a special key template, it seems a bit expensive.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:Argh. <shakes fist at Hepcat> Trying to not back as much stuff, man.

Turnabout is fair play, I guess. :D I just backed Tragic Events. But Flash Point is still one of my favorite coops. Plus, 20 bucks isn't that bad.
Heh, I backed this too. But as you say a 20 ain't too bad.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote:

Touché. And of course I backed it as well. :wink:
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:
baelthazar wrote:I noticed the Dinogenics prototype. That looks pretty awesome! How is that project coming?
It’s really close to being ready to launch! Getting everything in place has proved a much larger endeavor than I originally imagined but it’s all coming together now. I found out last week that my production company has actually gone ahead and started to produce a demo set of the laser cut dino meeples at no cost. This is awesome because I wasn’t expecting to have anything other than the 3D renders at the time of launch. I should have the final price analysis of the stretch goals by the end of this week.

I’m also waiting for two video previews to come back from reviewers; they should be arriving by the end of next week.

All in all, I’m looking at a launch either July 26th or August 2nd. If you would like to keep up with the project you can check out the BGG page or Facebook group.
I guess Lordnine didn't want to pimp it himself, so I will...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... -corporate

It looks like it is off to a slow start and could use some help.

Edit: I see that it was just opened up in the past hour or two, so not as slow as I thought. I snagged the last Park Founder slot. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks Coop! The Kickstarter went up at 11AM today. Right now we are trending towards $50,000, so not too bad for a first time effort from a nobody. :)

I’m keeping my expectations low but it is very exciting sitting on this end. It’s also mildly terrifying; my hands were shaking when I hit the “Launch Project” button.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Backed! And I would almost put this into a separate thread. But I suppose the usual KS suspects will show up in time...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I won't know if I'll have money until after GenCon, but I'm at least in for a buck to show support!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote:Thanks Coop! The Kickstarter went up at 11AM today. Right now we are trending towards $50,000, so not too bad for a first time effort from a nobody. :)

I’m keeping my expectations low but it is very exciting sitting on this end. It’s also mildly terrifying; my hands were shaking when I hit the “Launch Project” button.
Backed in a heartbeat. Congratulations!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Been following you on FB. It's very Agricola looking, but I'm in. My first kickstarter ever.

What was weird is that my email was already registered but never used... I hope I did that and forgot...

/hopes he will remember this in 13 months when a bill appears on his credit card...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote:

/hopes he will remember this in 13 months when a bill appears on his credit card...
Good news! You only have to wait 29 days. Kickstarters are billed when the project funds, not when it ships.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks for the support everyone!
LordMortis wrote:Been following you on FB. It's very Agricola looking, but I'm in. My first kickstarter ever.
That is not an unfair comparison, except if you forget to feed your sheep in Agricola they don’t eat your visitors… The game very much resolves around the idea of reputation. Dinosaurs provide reputation, which in turn attracts visitors, which give you money to afford the facilities to get more dinosaurs.

Where things can get a bit more interesting is that all dinosaurs have specific requirements that need to be met. So while you can plop down that T-Rex as soon as you get enough DNA, if you can’t feed it, there is a good chance it will try to break out and wreck your park.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote: if you forget to feed your sheep in Agricola they don’t eat your visitors…
And the sheep are cubes, not full fledged meeples... deeples? Looking for forward to seeing the dynamic.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Great job, Lordnine!

I just received the base game for Apocrypha: The Adventure Card Game. I was expecting the third printing of Space Empires from GMT. I'm surprised it got to me this quick.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:Great job, Lordnine!

I just received the base game for Apocrypha: The Adventure Card Game. I was expecting the third printing of Space Empires from GMT. I'm surprised it got to me this quick.
Ooooooo... :shock:

I have a friend coming in about 10 days. Maybe I'll get my copy in time to put it on the table.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Great job, Lordnine!

How was it shipped? I have checked fedex and ups and see nothing coming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was shipped USPS by Atlas. I never received a notification of any kind.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Showed up this afternoon. Shipping box looked fine, but the cover has a decent sized dent. I'm guessing something heavy was dropped on it. It's not very noticeable, however. Very obvious to the touch, but not that visible. So I guess I'll live with it. Otherwise everything seems fine. Lots of room to grow.

Also got the Duchess table yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it put together this weekend. And maybe grab some pictures.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote:Also got the Duchess table yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it put together this weekend. And maybe grab some pictures.
Make sure you don't secure the second long side of the table before sliding in the bottom boards. :ninja:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:
TheMix wrote:Also got the Duchess table yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it put together this weekend. And maybe grab some pictures.
Make sure you don't secure the second long side of the table before sliding in the bottom boards. :ninja:
Oh?

Story you want to share?

I'm guessing that doing the former makes doing the latter a wee bit more difficult.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It does. There will probably be a video in the near future on our sister site that contains footage of me helping the purveyor assemble his.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote:Showed up this afternoon. Shipping box looked fine, but the cover has a decent sized dent. I'm guessing something heavy was dropped on it. It's not very noticeable, however. Very obvious to the touch, but not that visible. So I guess I'll live with it. Otherwise everything seems fine. Lots of room to grow.

Also got the Duchess table yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it put together this weekend. And maybe grab some pictures.
I'm probably being overly critical, but the cards seem unusually flimsy. They were actually slightly bent (bowed really) by the plastic wrappers that contained them. This may be a game I sleeve as they don't seem like they'd hold up very long.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Got a shipping notification for Hostage Negotiator Crime Wave saying it should arrive at the end of the week. Went in at the chief level which will include the original game that I can combine with the expansion along with 7 abductor packs and more importantly the fat Steven Segal looking negotiator meeple. Unfortunately will be out of town when in comes however. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:It was shipped USPS by Atlas. I never received a notification of any kind.
Mine showed up yesterday as well. I didn't have time to look at it really.
hepcat wrote:I just received the base game for Apocrypha: The Adventure Card Game. I was expecting the third printing of Space Empires from GMT. I'm surprised it got to me this quick.
Yeah... quick.
Estimated delivery Apr 2016
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assume "quick" was in reference to the recent update that said that they'd gotten in the shipments and were going to start packaging and sending them out.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:I'm probably being overly critical, but the cards seem unusually flimsy. They were actually slightly bent (bowed really) by the plastic wrappers that contained them. This may be a game I sleeve as they don't seem like they'd hold up very long.
Yes, my copy arrived and I see exactly what you're saying. I'll also note that the game doesn't want you to open all the packs, but to instead start on the deck marked with "Enter Here". It's not officially released until next Thursday (8/17) and I'll assume the app, tutorial video and daily game effects will go live then.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote:I assume "quick" was in reference to the recent update that said that they'd gotten in the shipments and were going to start packaging and sending them out.
That is correct.
Smoove_B wrote: Yes, my copy arrived and I see exactly what you're saying. I'll also note that the game doesn't want you to open all the packs, but to instead start on the deck marked with "Enter Here". It's not officially released until next Thursday (8/17) and I'll assume the app, tutorial video and daily game effects will go live then.
I'm just going to sort it all out and play. I don't want to wait until after Gencon to dive into this thing, dagnabit.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote:
hepcat wrote:I'm probably being overly critical, but the cards seem unusually flimsy. They were actually slightly bent (bowed really) by the plastic wrappers that contained them. This may be a game I sleeve as they don't seem like they'd hold up very long.
Yes, my copy arrived and I see exactly what you're saying. I'll also note that the game doesn't want you to open all the packs, but to instead start on the deck marked with "Enter Here". It's not officially released until next Thursday (8/17) and I'll assume the app, tutorial video and daily game effects will go live then.
Oops. Well, at least I'd only opened 1 pack. And it reads like there isn't really anything wrong with opening everything, just that they are trying to keep you from being overwhelmed while you learn the game.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary - they just have a pre-set deck that can apparently accomodate up to 4 people as part of the tutorial/intro scenario. In the same way that Doomtown had pre-constructed decks that you weren't supposed to shuffle - so the tutorial unfolds exactly as written in the manual.

I'm actually quite interested in this app and the idea that there will be some type of game-changing feature depending on the day you're playing. It's been a long, long time and my interest dipped rather low earlier this year, almost to the point of regretting my purchase. But after playing the Arkham LCG, I'm hopeful this can deliver a similar experience.

I'm also quite happy they included sorting inserts and the foam blocks to help with organizing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go