Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

TheMix

Re: Kickstarter 2018

Post by TheMix »

Well, I never said I was normal.

But I know myself. I really don't like to lose. More importantly, I don't really care for how I feel/act when I lose. To avoid situations that I'll regret, I try to focus on co-op stuff. I also get really angry by betrayal. There is probably some stuff in my past, but I'm not interested in getting on the couch here. :D

Maybe if I played a lot more games. And with the same people. That would probably allow a 'softening' which take the sting out. But barring that, I just find it easier to focus on co-op.

I also spent a couple of years teaching/leading team-building activities. So I tend to migrate to co-op/team work.

In the end, I don't think I'd enjoy being the traitor. And, well, being betrayed would also not make me happy.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It sounds like the system is a bit more interesting than just one person who is trying to sink the group. More like player X needs to sabotage the engine and player Y needs to collect an alien egg. Your goals might conflict but very rarely are you trying to actively get anyone killed.

I see it as a bit of a Greed focused co-operative, which is rather appealing to me. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lordnine wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm It sounds like the system is a bit more interesting than just one person who is trying to sink the group. More like player X needs to sabotage the engine and player Y needs to collect an alien egg. Your goals might conflict but very rarely are you trying to actively get anyone killed.

I see it as a bit of a Greed focused co-operative, which is rather appealing to me. :D
Allow me to use the developer's own comments as counter-point:
Also - we have added a special trey for every player, so that they can keep their items hidden, while be able to look at them all the time.

It is a great help in all those awkward moments, when your "friend" will ask you - "Hey, do you have some bandages? I need to dress my wounds!" and your secret objective is to kill him, so you don't really want to share that much.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Haha. Fair enough. I'm guessing the secret objectives might scale for player count so that the more deadly ones are reserved for higher player counts. It would be a bit awkward to play a 3 player game where two players were tasked with killing each other and the third player had the objective of making sure no one died. Although actually, that would be kind of hilarious with the right group of people. :lol:

-=-=-

Actually, just had a look on the prototype version on TTS. Kill people does seem to be limited to 3+ players and they are very specific as to WHO you kill. It lists a player number.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm I'm not big into westerns but Western Legends looks fun. Anytime I hear about sandbox style games they immediately pique my interest but most seem to be either huge time sinks and/or have a million components and interlocking systems that make them hard to teach new players. Early impressions from play-testers also sounds promising so I'm in.
Man, I don't usually do Kickstarters, but this one looks really good. Think they will hit the target date of Aug 2018?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

RMC wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
Lordnine wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm I'm not big into westerns but Western Legends looks fun. Anytime I hear about sandbox style games they immediately pique my interest but most seem to be either huge time sinks and/or have a million components and interlocking systems that make them hard to teach new players. Early impressions from play-testers also sounds promising so I'm in.
Man, I don't usually do Kickstarters, but this one looks really good. Think they will hit the target date of Aug 2018?
As someone currently managing the backend of Kickstarter production and fulfillment…not a chance. Our production window was 4-6 months and that is once everything is finalized and confirmed.

Unless they are a lot further along than they lead on, and given that they are still working on minis, they are more likely looking at an early January delivery by my estimates.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do it and then bring it to my dad's place next Christmas for our annual holiday game day.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 pm
Do it and then bring it to my dad's place next Christmas for our annual holiday game day.
Your supposed to buy all these things! And, damn, that might be the reason to buy the game... This looks very good.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I fully endorse your purchase of this game.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:56 pm I fully endorse your purchase of this game.
Heh. I happen to be the EOC(Executive on Call) this week, and have been saying that a ton. The fully endorse part anyway...
baelthazar

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by baelthazar »

I will be honest, the one thing keeping me as a backer on Tiny Epic Zombies is the fact you can have your item meeple dual wield a shotgun and a chainsaw. Yes, if you can incorporate Evil Dead/Army of Darkness/Ash vs. the Evil Dead, then I am likely going to be on board.

Ironically, I did not back the Evil Dead 2 board game. Because I knew that would never see the light of day.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:56 pm I fully endorse your purchase of this game.
I'm in on Western Legends. $75 level.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

excellent! come over for the next Octocon in the spring or whenever and bring it with you. i've got a couch with your name on it.

...literally. Did you know you sleep whittle?
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am excellent! come over for the next Octocon in the spring or whenever and bring it with you. i've got a couch with your name on it.

...literally. Did you know you sleep whittle?
Yes, it is a talent my ancestors have passed down to all of my blood line. :)

And, I am putting aside funds for a trip to Chicago. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll get your special pillow ready.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:21 pm I'll get your special pillow ready.
Is it time for the Planes, Trains, and Automobiles quote yet?

Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey Hep, are you still meh on Massive Darkness? Mine is still sitting Mint in Box and folks are getting decent money for them on Ebay. Since I've been ruthlessly slashing through my games as part of my re-org, I keep looking at this giant box going "Will I ever play this one?"
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would rank it in my third or fourth spot for most disappointing kickstarter I've ever backed.

...and I've backed a lot.

It's just boring. The gameplay offers you no real choices, the campaign is a joke, and did I mention it's boring? This and Apocrypha were big disappointments for me in 2017.

I'm going to check out ebay myself. I want it gone.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:I would rank it in my third or fourth spot for most disappointing kickstarter I've ever backed.

It's just boring. The gameplay offers you no real choices, the campaign is a joke, and did I mention it's boring? This and Apocrypha were big disappointments for me in 2017.

Thanks, I kind of assumed you hadn’t found a great game in the box. I think I’m going to throw it up on Ebay and see if I can’t make my money back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm I would rank it in my third or fourth spot for most disappointing kickstarter I've ever backed.

I basically sold mine without opening it (only opened a few boxes). I got more than I paid for it (around $220, I think), which made me happy. It helped lower what I had to move and lessened my backers regret.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm I would rank it in my third or fourth spot for most disappointing kickstarter I've ever backed.

I basically sold mine without opening it (only opened a few boxes). I got more than I paid for it (around $220, I think), which made me happy. It helped lower what I had to move and lessened my backers regret.
Ah... one of the very few Kickstarters I bit on and then cancelled after pondering on it for a while. Seems like a good ponder. :wink:
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Hmmm.... UBOOT: The Board Game. Two hours to go as of this posting to get the plotting tool for free. :think:
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am Hmmm.... UBOOT: The Board Game. Two hours to go as of this posting to get the plotting tool for free. :think:
Sure. I just hope that there's an appless way to play.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am Hmmm.... UBOOT: The Board Game. Two hours to go as of this posting to get the plotting tool for free. :think:
Sure. I just hope that there's an appless way to play.
From the FAQ:

Will there be a version that does not require the app?

No, we are not planning to release a version of the game that can be played without the app.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got burned on Golem Arcana after they dropped support for their game and wouldn't upgrade the iOS version to work with the last update from Apple. I will never purchase another game driven by an app outside FFG or any other large game designer. I hate to do that, but the risk is way too high.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Yeah, that's what ultimately kept me from pledging. :(
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, I'm out. I'm not spending $90 on a game that's likely to become obsolete.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I mean... I did make some profit on the sale... so I am not exactly unhappy with the result.

I have found that, if you have the storage space and the patience, CMON kickstarters - particularly the ones with exclusive KS minis - will net you a tidy profit. For example, I made over $500 selling my Zombicide Black Plague set. This was over double what I paid to back it. Just some food for thought.

On that note, I was considering backing HATE to basically set it aside. But I am not sure it will have the same draw as the other games.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, I have my first kickstarter of 2018 on the calendar...Aeon's End Legacy is coming to kickstarter in three weeks (2/13).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am Yeah, I'm out. I'm not spending $90 on a game that's likely to become obsolete.
I'll let you guys know how it is. This is business market research... ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:53 pm OK, I have my first kickstarter of 2018 on the calendar...Aeon's End Legacy is coming to kickstarter in three weeks (2/13).
Ditto. The designer is a proven winner in my book. And the customer service he provides is great, too.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just got my notice that a shipping label was created for Darkest Night 2nd edition. I love that game, so I'm looking forward to all the fancy new upgrades I'm gettin'.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My newest arrival.

Enlarge Image

The production values are pretty amazing here. I set it up earlier and everything looks great. Also, looking at the way it plays I think I am going to like it a lot better than Blood Rage. Hoping to play it tonight!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 pm No worries. It's frustrating, but not on you. I was excited for the table for a long time, now I am just kind of dreading it and I am not sure why. I assume I will get a table eventually. I believe they have halted shipments for the kickstarter until after christmas because shippers raise rates for the holiday.
I still have no notice from boardgametables.com, but UPS My Choice shows 3 packages (45lb, 45lb and 3.5lb) from funagain arriving on friday and two more (87.5 lb, 6lb) on monday, plus a 6th package (10lb) not yet in transit. so I guess I am getting a table after all!
I have my table and just finished assembly... well what assembly I could.

There is a decent sized dent in one of the toppers.
The hardware for the cup holders is missing the nuts.
My accessories still haven't shipped (wing table, bits tray and card holders).

We'll see how Chad deals with these opportunities. Assembly wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was disappointing to find damage in the very last piece I put on. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Better the last than the first.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Damn, that sucks, coop. Did it look like it was damaged in shipping?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We'll see how Chad deals with these opportunities
Coop rolls a nat 20 on the diplomacy check...
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 pm No worries. It's frustrating, but not on you. I was excited for the table for a long time, now I am just kind of dreading it and I am not sure why. I assume I will get a table eventually. I believe they have halted shipments for the kickstarter until after christmas because shippers raise rates for the holiday.
I still have no notice from boardgametables.com, but UPS My Choice shows 3 packages (45lb, 45lb and 3.5lb) from funagain arriving on friday and two more (87.5 lb, 6lb) on monday, plus a 6th package (10lb) not yet in transit. so I guess I am getting a table after all!
I have my table and just finished assembly... well what assembly I could.

There is a decent sized dent in one of the toppers.
The hardware for the cup holders is missing the nuts.
My accessories still haven't shipped (wing table, bits tray and card holders).

We'll see how Chad deals with these opportunities. Assembly wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was disappointing to find damage in the very last piece I put on. :(
Don't beleive you need the nuts for the cup holders. They changed the design. I think I just used two washers that came in the bag. The dent sucks though. :(
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played my first game of Rising Sun last night. 4 people. Really good time had by all. As expected, I vastly prefer the way this plays to Blood Rage. Everything just seems a lot more fluid. Card drafting is replaced with tile selection, and everyone gets at-least some benefit from each tile played (except betray) so it never feels like you are waiting for something to do. Also, while you can employ something close to the Loki strategy from Blood Rage, people can prevent you from pulling it off by simply outbidding you if they feel compelled to do so. This is huge as I always considered Loki to be the noob basher strategy in Blood Rage and really limited my desire to teach the game to new players.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm My newest arrival.

Enlarge Image

The production values are pretty amazing here. I set it up earlier and everything looks great. Also, looking at the way it plays I think I am going to like it a lot better than Blood Rage. Hoping to play it tonight!
Is that shipping already?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us