Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Just got my notice that a shipping label was created for Darkest Night 2nd edition. I love that game, so I'm looking forward to all the fancy new upgrades I'm gettin'.
Same here. Now I get to see what all the fuss is about. And if the game sucks I'm coming up to Chicago and beating you over the head with the box cover (bringing the entire game box takes up too much space in a carry on)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm Damn, that sucks, coop. Did it look like it was damaged in shipping?
Yeah there was a gouge in the box containing that piece.
Lordnine wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:36 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm I have my table and just finished assembly... well what assembly I could.

There is a decent sized dent in one of the toppers.
The hardware for the cup holders is missing the nuts.
My accessories still haven't shipped (wing table, bits tray and card holders).

We'll see how Chad deals with these opportunities. Assembly wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was disappointing to find damage in the very last piece I put on. :(
Don't beleive you need the nuts for the cup holders. They changed the design. I think I just used two washers that came in the bag. The dent sucks though. :(
The video for the cupholders on the site shows the nuts and there are no other instructions anywhere official. We'll see what he says.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah I think the video is outdated. A search on the first page of comments showed this:
The order should be: bolt, cup holder, 2 washers and then connect to the table with the washers between the cup holder and the table, acting as the spacer. You shouldn't need the nut, as the stacked washers are used in place of the nut.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

bardgametables.com confirmed Lordnine's updated cup holder instructions, which I'd already followed so good there. On the dent they offered to put me on the replacement list or offer a partial refund. They didn't say how much the partial refund would be, but I opted for the replacement as we really don't want a dent in our kitchen table.

My wife has uploaded pictures of the table with cupholders to facebook telling her friends how our new table has attached dog bowls. :P Yes, the cup holders do resemble small dog bowls.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Darkest Night 2nd edition is an absolute gorgeous game. Victory Point Games is just knocking it out of the park when it comes to high quality.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Darkest Night 2nd edition is an absolute gorgeous game. Victory Point Games is just knocking it out of the park when it comes to high quality.
Mine should be here on Wednesday! I am looking forward to it. I got the minis, so I also look forward to seeing what the hubbub was about.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 am
hepcat wrote:Darkest Night 2nd edition is an absolute gorgeous game. Victory Point Games is just knocking it out of the park when it comes to high quality.
Mine should be here on Wednesday! I am looking forward to it. I got the minis, so I also look forward to seeing what the hubbub was about.
Tuesday for me... base game only.
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Unfortunately mine will be delivered sometime today which is unfortunate because I won't be in town until Sunday evening. It would suck after waiting so long for the game if it was stolen.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My copy just arrived. I opened it and took a quick look, but I can say that my early impressions are similar to what others have said - the quality looks really, really good. I didn't opt for the figures so I can't comment on them. There's one included in the box and he looks a bit...soft. I'll need to pull it all apart later and dig in, but the initial impressions (for a game that's ~11 months late) seem good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

VPG isn’t a miniatures company. I know why they added that option..but thankfully it was just an option.

Played it today. We actually won a two player game (each of us played two characters), but it was definitely close.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I should read a copy of the rules so I can jump into playing... assuming that some Massachusetts forum member didn't come by and steal it off my porch.

Are the components pretty good quality?
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They’re outstanding. I know they have their detractors, but I love linen finish cards. They just feel sturdy and they don’t smudge as easily. The tarot card sized map, event, and artifact cards were a nice touch. Easy to read with lots of room for Clark Miller’s fantastic artwork.

Another nice thing was that they put the original sized board on one side of the fold out map, with the larger version on the other two sections. So you can play on a smaller table if you want.

I know the game comes down to essentially trying to roll a six, but it’s all the stuff that gets you there that makes it fun.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like linen cards too. Don't feel the need to sleeve them and I like the way they feel along with their sturdiness.
Black lives matter!

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Funny, I love the artifact, map, and event tarot cards but I think the player cards feel thin (not be same linen finish). I noted that I especially need to sleeve those, while thinking the tarot cards might not need sleeves.
Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter 2018

Post by Smoove_B »

Good Society: A Jane Austen Roleplaying Game
Good Society is a collaborative roleplaying game that seeks to capture the heart, and the countenance, of Jane Austen's work. It is a game of balls, estates, sly glances, and turns about the garden. At least on the surface. Underneath this, just as in Austen's own novels, it is a game of social ambition, family obligation and breathtaking, heart-stopping longing.
:think:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm Good Society: A Jane Austen Roleplaying Game
Good Society is a collaborative roleplaying game that seeks to capture the heart, and the countenance, of Jane Austen's work. It is a game of balls, estates, sly glances, and turns about the garden. At least on the surface. Underneath this, just as in Austen's own novels, it is a game of social ambition, family obligation and breathtaking, heart-stopping longing.
I am intrigued! It seems like it might be a regency attempt at a more sedate Fiasco?

I love Austen and have taught some of the novels, and I love RPGs that try to deal with narrative more than combat. I might back this as an experiment in literary gaming. If nothing else, I could talk to classes about it as a successful or failed attempt to capture the structure of Austen's social plots.

$60+ for the full package, though... I'll need to see if I think the mechanics measure up to the aspiration. The PDF version is reasonably cheap, at least.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is this from CMON? Have they posted any photos of the minis?
He won. Period.
PLW

Post by PLW »

PLW wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:19 pm My friend just Kickstarted his first game, a two player game of memory, strategy, and mind-reading called Project ALPACA. I've played the beta a few times and it was unusually fun for a two-player card game. If you're into that sort of thing, you should check it out.
I'm going to bump this because it's down to two weeks, I'm worried he won't make it, and I don't know what else to do to help him. Sorry for the Spam. I played the beta again last weekend, and it's still fun!

:horse:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 pm Is this from CMON? Have they posted any photos of the minis?
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In that last one, is she holding a flamethrower of some type?
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Holman wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm Good Society: A Jane Austen Roleplaying Game
I am intrigued! It seems like it might be a regency attempt at a more sedate Fiasco?

I love Austen and have taught some of the novels, and I love RPGs that try to deal with narrative more than combat. I might back this as an experiment in literary gaming. If nothing else, I could talk to classes about it as a successful or failed attempt to capture the structure of Austen's social plots.

$60+ for the full package, though... I'll need to see if I think the mechanics measure up to the aspiration. The PDF version is reasonably cheap, at least.
Why not try to play it with the class (with you as the facilitator)? I am working on ideas for using Kingdom or Microscope in history classes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, I'm considering something like that.

We always talk about how games can produce narratives, but I wonder if there's something to be said in the other direction. Obviously fictions don't follow rules exactly, but there's something interesting in how genre norms raise rule-like expectations for creators to play with.

I'm not sure how much this project actually provides, though. The video doesn't give me great confidence.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I pulled a hepcat and convinced one of my gaming group to back Western Legends. I wish I had a dollar for every dollar I've convinced my friends to spend for something I'll benefit from. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

did you use tears? that's my power move.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:53 pm OK, I have my first kickstarter of 2018 on the calendar...Aeon's End Legacy is coming to kickstarter in three weeks (2/13).
Ditto. The designer is a proven winner in my book. And the customer service he provides is great, too.
It's up:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Out of the blue, I received a mysterious envelope with two High Frontier cards in it. Turns out that they're replacements for the two misprinted cards that came with my Kickstarter copy about a year ago.

I'm taking this as a sign that I need to play High Frontier again sometime soon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks Coop! I'm definitely in on this one.

edit: I was a little concerned about the reset pack not being available retail, but this little blurb from the designer makes it less worrisome to me.
The good news is that once you're done with the campaign, even without the reset pack you can still use all of your content to play standard Aeon's End games.
I just don't want to buy a reset pack and then realize I'll never use it.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I could throw in the reset pack because I know I will play it with my son, but it's possible I will also have the opportunity to play again with a bigger group at work... hmm dammit. I am already at $125 (accessory pack, play mat and Nameless expansion).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was tempted by the playmat, but I just went a little nuts on the Too Many Bones Undertow pledge manager (even though I swore I wouldn’t). Time to back off a bit. :D
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Coming March 14th, the Harry Potter Miniatures Adventure Game

Promo Video

The minis are beautiful, but I was expecting this to be more of a free-form minis game, not a board/adventure game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Knights Models does the Batman Miniatures game and I've always wanted to try that because of how detailed the figures are. They make fantastic miniatures.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've got too many games already (probably). If the wife wants this one, she'll have to back it herself. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know they're professionally painted, but the miniatures for the Harry Potter game look ridiculous. I'd imagine this KS is going to make bank just from people wanting those figures.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm already going in on it for those minis. I'm a sucker for them. Hopefully the game will be decent as well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Big Score from Van Ryder games, the guys behind Hostage Negotiator. I just happened to have this show on the home page and it intrigued me. It's not a pure solo game like Hostage Negotiator, but it does have solo rules. I am not backing it for solo. It looks like a quick-ish fun game with player interaction and a push your luck element.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it looks like CMON used Wikipedia to research Japanese mythological creatures for their game Rising sun...and inadvertently included one that was actually added to the site as a joke on some random dude’s friend in New Zealand..

Honestly, it makes me wanna play it even more. :lol:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Kicstarter for Batman: Gotham City Chronicles launched today. I saw this at GenCon and loved it, and have been following it ever since. I honestly don't have the money, but might try to trade them sex or something for it, especially considering that the content won't be going to retail.

But I'm cautious. Has anyone dealt with Monolith before? Are they reliable Kickstarters? Do they make decent games? They Kickstarted Mythic Battles: Pantheon, Conan, and Conan: The Book of Set.

I really want to be certain before I pull strings I shouldn't be pulling to try and get in on it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Conan is a really great game and it has my favorite “1 vs all” system of all games in the genre. Batman uses a slightly improved version of it. Conan had some issues on launch because the rulebook translation was pretty poor but they sent a free updated version to all backers a little while after delivery.

If I were more into the comic book setting I would be backing Batman for sure.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah I think it looks cool but I'm not so into Batman and I'm really not into 1 vs all games because I always end up being the 1. But they did a decent job with Conan by all accounts so they'll probably deliver just fine.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That isn't helpful. You were supposed to tell me that they made terrible games that they delivered two years late.

You haven't dissuaded me at all!

Time to review the budget and see if I can borrow money from myself for another stupid toy that I won't even see for another stupid year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)