Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Skinypupy

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Skinypupy »

On the fence with the Massive Darkness 2 KS. Looks right up my alley as a solo-able dungeon crawler with lots of depth and cool minis.

Any big KS red lights come to mind with this one?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:05 pm On the fence with the Massive Darkness 2 KS. Looks right up my alley as a solo-able dungeon crawler with lots of depth and cool minis.

Any big KS red lights come to mind with this one?
Other than not being super thrilled with the gameplay of the original? Cmon is usually good about getting these done reasonably.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I keep seeing it compared favorably to Descent, which is a big plus for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the thing with any CMON KS project - you're participating to get what won't hit retail. If you don't care about all the stretch goals and freebies, just wait until it goes retail. It might actually be easier to get a retail copy cheaper than what an entry level pledge is for the current KS. Just understand you're going to forfeit all the stretch goals and freebies, and make your peace with it.

Case in point, Cthulhu Death May Die. I paid waaaay more than retail prices, but you cannot get the stretch goal box without paying absurd markups. It's the same for Zombicide Invader.

Expect it to be late. Expect core copies to hit retail (and eBay) before you get yours. Those are my observations, anyway.

I can't dispute quality (models and components for CDMD are really good), but they definitely abuse FOMO and bleed backers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unless they drastically revised the rules for Massive Darkness 2.0, I would avoid it. This is just my opinion, but I backed 1.0, played it twice and realized it was boring as hell to me. There was little to no choice on what to do on your turn. Do I try to hit someone or move? No attempt at doing something interesting, no real theme, no depth, that was it. Many games have that same issue, but most try to compensate by adding other interesting choices or mechanics. Not MD though.

It didn’t help that the promised campaign mode felt tacked on and rushed after they added it begrudgingly. I dumped it on eBay rather quickly after that.

Read the reviews on BGG. They are not kind in most cases.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks, that’s helpful. Between this and Ascension Tactics, y’all are saving my KS wallet. :lol:

This review made it sound interesting, but they mentioned the same concern about lack of story. I’ll wait for retail, I think.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

With review titles like
Should you spend a lot of time doing nothing exciting, or playing MD? Wait. Both options are the same.
And
Massive Darkness - deluxe make your own ruleset kit
I think it’s safe to say it has disappointed some folks.

(I know every game has its detractors but those two review titles struck me as particularly vicious)
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

These folks were at PAX back in December showing off the game they had in development. I got to talk with the designers, seemed like nice folks, and watch some game play, although I am guessing there have been lots of changes up to now. I though the concept and lore was pretty cool and it's now hit Kickstarter.

Uprising: Curse of the Last Emperor

No minis, they went with mostly standees but the cost seems reasonable. Oh, and there's a demo for it in TTS.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Supposed to get Aeon's End Outcasts next Friday. That Saturday is our monthly "Stone Age Saturday" where we don't allow devices/video games, so it might be good timing. The bad side is when we tried to play The New Age we got our asses handed to us in the first scenario with a quickness so I'm not sure how likely I am to have an audience. Maybe we should go back to the "easy" base set.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

For anyone who plays 5E in person (or plans to in the future), I've found Stat Trackers to be a great way to keep the relevant player/monster stats handy. It's also great for initiative by folding the bookmark over the edge of the DM screen, and moving the bookmarks in order.

Their new Kickstarter includes more creatures in a Friends & Foes expansion. The illustrated art is good, but the biggest attraction is the bigger storage box and picking up extra sets of 50 blank PC/monster markers. If you want to get the original, that's available too.

Since it's not an official product, there are limitations on licensed monsters. I've found it pretty easy to fill in the information. With the way the new adventures refer to a name but no stat block, pulling out the bookmarks have been a lifesaver.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... -mechs-and

Chained Echoes - a 16bit fantasy RPG with mechs and airships

Take up your sword, channel your magic or board your Mech. Chained Echoes is a 16-bit SNES style RPG set in a fantasy world where dragons are as common as piloted mechanical suits. Follow a group of heroes as they explore a land filled to the brim with charming characters, fantastic landscapes and vicious foes. Can you bring peace to a continent where war has been waged for generations and betrayal lurks around every corner?

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:39 pm Supposed to get Aeon's End Outcasts next Friday. That Saturday is our monthly "Stone Age Saturday" where we don't allow devices/video games, so it might be good timing. The bad side is when we tried to play The New Age we got our asses handed to us in the first scenario with a quickness so I'm not sure how likely I am to have an audience. Maybe we should go back to the "easy" base set.
Ditto. Can't wait. I love this franchise. Doesn't hurt that they pretty much nail every delivery time frame.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Forgot to mention that I got in my new Creality CR-6 E FDM printer that I backed on Kickstarter. Great machine, lots of nice upgraded features from the Ender 3 Pro.

Only problem with the kickstarter...some folks have reported their printers catching fire when they turn them on. :shock:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Rurik is back on Kickstarter with an expansion. I backed this one the first time around and really enjoy it. Area control with action selection bidding. Gameplay is smooth and in my experience it plays pretty fast for an area control game, their listed 35 minutes per player seems like a vast over estimate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a delivery scheduled today. It was shipped over a month ago via Ascendia, one of the worst shippers I've ever dealt with, and handed over to the USPS in mid August, where it sat for three weeks. Today they decide to deliver it, and lo and behold, this is the one Kickstarter I've every been involved in, including some expensive ones (this one was ~$20) that has required a signature for delivery.

Our mail carrier has never, not once, knocked on our door for a signature. If it requires a signature they just fill out the lazy card and wander away. No fences, no dogs. They just won't put in the effort.

So now I have to wait until tomorrow and try to figure out a way to get to the post office to pick it up in person, which likely means walking across town.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, how can you pass on the Lost Tomb of the Bitchin' Chimera:
Severed Books is thrilled to announce Lost Tomb of the Bitchin' Chimera, an officially licensed Dead Milkmen roleplaying game module set in the weird world of Tiny Town. Written by Andrew Ervin and illustrated by Justin Sirois, this one-shot adventure blends fantasy and punk into a hilarious story your players will never forget.

A monstrous seabird is terrorizing the hamlet of Tiny Town. The distraught Mistress Brownnose calls for aid. If our adventurers hope to placate the beast, they must cross the Swampland of Desire and find the Life-Is-Shit Boneyard. There, if they’re brave enough—or dumb enough—to enter the lair of the Burrow Owlbear, they might just find the Tomb of the Bitchin’ Chimera.

The adventure is ultimately system-agnostic, and can also be enjoyed using the rules of the world’s greatest roleplaying game. It has been designed for player characters of levels 3 to 5 and you can play it as a stand-alone game or easily fit it into your ongoing campaign.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Aeon's End: The New One showed up on Saturday, but we ended up playing a couple rounds of Gloomhaven.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the one hand, I love the narrative campaign stuff for Aeon's End. On the other hand, I haven't finished my first try with one from the LAST game. So I essentially leave the cards from these games unsorted and ready for campaign mode instead of just mixing them in and using them in regular games. I need to get over that.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I received my Red Grass Games painting handle as well as my Desk Wizard. The RGG handle is nice, and it'll come in handy when painting 'hero' pieces. It isn't going to be suitable for painting large numbers of minor pieces. The Desk Wizard I'm... almost happy with. I'm happy with the five bottle holder I got, and I love the brush holder and the brush cleaning puck. I haven't actually been able to assemble the main item (a 14-bottle holder), though, because one of the bags they sent me (the internal supports) was for a different model. They've been responsive, though, and I'm sure I'll have the missing pieces here soon.

The idea is that I'll be able to have all of my paints up in the racks where I keep them now, then have the ones I'm using for a particular project in the 14-bottle holder. Those I'm actively using for a particular color will be in the five bottle holder. It'll make things a lot neater rather than having bottles rattling around all over my desk. Or, as my son said, I now have a stash, an inventory, and a hot bar.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

THE RECKONERS expansion STEELSLAYER is live.

A gaming group buddy of mine owns THE RECKONERS so I've played it quite extensively and I enjoy it a great deal. According to the KS, the expansion will NOT be coming to retail and will only be sold in the future direct from Nauvoo Games. In addition, they're giving a 20% discount on the KS compared to what it will be afterwards.

As far as value, I feel like the game has always been a bit pricey for what you get, but it is what it is. Like Chip Theory's stuff, it's just one of those games that is never going to be on sale or inexpensive so you just have to make that call.

The $129 all-in (Base + Expansion) is not terrible given that the base game alone can run $100. You're not getting the metal components of the $159 all-in, but I'm not sure they're worth $30. It's tempting, as I did really enjoy the game, the expansion adds a lot of content, and it's got some unique mechanics I don't own in any of my other games.

On the other hand, there's some KS coming down the road from the Sadlers and Blacklist games that I know I'm going to want. Not to mention that huge Hoplomachus KS from Chip Theory....Arrghhh. Decisions, decisions. :think:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember looking at the Reckoners after reading the first two books and feeling kinda meh about it. Maybe it was the giant/oversized nature of the box or maybe it was because I'd read it's not really a great solo experience. I'm looking at it again now and I'm still on the fence. There's another board game version of THE THING coming soon and I might just wait and see what that's about. It's a miniatures based board game and I'm kinda curious.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I own a copy of The Reckoners, bought it at PAX this past year after playing a demo with the developers. I have the deluxe edition with the metal components but got it "on sale" for $100 since it was PAX and the last day. It's not a bad game and I have played it solo a few times, you just need to manage multiple characters but that's not a big deal, I will say it was more fun playing with other folks. The game has some interesting mechanics and this was my first experience with the simultaneous turn mechanic, on the con side, once you play a few times and know the items it seems you can simply employ the same tactic over and over to win. I will take a look but at the moment I am leaning toward passing on the expansion. While the game is fun I have other games I find more enjoyable and I have 7-ish KS games I've backed and am waiting for so not at a loss for new stuff to play. Appreciate the heads up though, I knew the developers were looking to add expansions to coincide with the different books but wasn't aware they had a new one coming out.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Speaking as a fan of the terrific 7th Continent game from Serious Poulp, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what's coming next in their upcoming Kickstarter:
Serious Poulp wrote:Hello,

Three years after our last campaign for The 7th Continent, we are back on Kickstarter on Tuesday, September 22nd at 1 PM (EST) with our new game: The 7th Citadel.

Click here to be notified of the campaign launch

Enlarge Image

The 7th Citadel is a brand-new cooperative exploration and adventure game for 1 to 4 players.

In this post-apocalyptic medieval fantasy world, you play as a “slave-gardener” who escapes from the Citadel of Necrodruid Ninidazir’, only to find yourself confronted by an even greater Threat!

Explore the Collapsing Lands freely by gradually unveiling the board using numbered terrain and event cards. Interact with your environment and converse with its inhabitants.

Enlarge Image

As the scenarios unfold, your choices, for better or worse, will lead you inexorably to the epic finale against the Threat!

To discover what's new in The 7th Citadel, here are our first Adventurer's Guides.

See you Tuesday, September 22 at 1 PM (EST) on Kickstarter!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Definitely watching for it. I'm curious to see how they've revised/changed/improved the core system for this newer version based on what they've learned. I can't imagine not backing it unless something is really dodgy at launch.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I never bought 7th Continent but may go for this one. Seems like a good time to jump in assuming they've made some revisions and improvements.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really? The original KS is likely overpriced for what you get at this point, but I'd strongly recommend you look into their revamped retail release of the KS version(s), here. $59 and free shipping from Florida (QML, I'm guessing). I've barely scratched the surface of my KS monstrosity. If you have any love for the old school Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery! or Lone Wolf style books, this should be a no-brainer. It's very much a game book style experience but with cards and evolving map.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:28 pm If you have any love for the old school Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery! or Lone Wolf style books, this should be a no-brainer. It's very much a game book style experience but with cards and evolving map.
Shut up shut up shut up shut up! I no money free this year, and you're really making this sound good.

At least unless...

I mean, do kids really need to eat every day?
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:44 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:28 pm If you have any love for the old school Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery! or Lone Wolf style books, this should be a no-brainer. It's very much a game book style experience but with cards and evolving map.
Shut up shut up shut up shut up! I no money free this year, and you're really making this sound good.

At least unless...

Well, The 7th Continent does do a superb job of emphasizing the importance of crafting/hunting/survival, so maybe you could justify it on those grounds… ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The way I look at it, there will be an expansion and I’ll get it then.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

At least unless...

If you'll give me your shipping address, I'll mail you my Kickstarter copy of 7th continent plus expansions. I'll cover the cost. My family and friends don't want to play and I want to see it in a good home. I was going to sell it locally before pandemic but all the local auctions have stopped and are unlikely to start back up. I also need the space for other games.

This, of course, assumes you're interested. And I wouldn't be able to ship until next week sometime. Just let me know.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I meant to send that as a PM, Blackhawk, so that teaches me not to post from my phone on vacation. But the offer stands. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s very cool of you, Malificent!
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Malificent wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm

At least unless...

If you'll give me your shipping address, I'll mail you my Kickstarter copy of 7th continent plus expansions. I'll cover the cost. My family and friends don't want to play and I want to see it in a good home. I was going to sell it locally before pandemic but all the local auctions have stopped and are unlikely to start back up. I also need the space for other games.

This, of course, assumes you're interested. And I wouldn't be able to ship until next week sometime. Just let me know.
Wow, that is incredibly kind and generous of you, Malificent. I strongly suspect Blackhawk would enjoy the game immensely as it's definitely right up his alley, so one couldn't imagine a much better home for it.

Blackhawk, just remember to keep the core loop of gameplay in mind (i.e. explore, hunt, explore) and you'll have an absolute blast with it. It is very much a survival-exploration game first and foremost, so it pays not to lose track of the crafting/hunting/survival aspect. You'll be tempted to focus on exploration because there's just so much to see and do, but that can mean depleting your action deck and potentially permadeath if/when a curse card is drawn.

Anyway, major kudos to Malificent and I hope you enjoy the game, BH.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:oops: :wub:

Every once in a while somebody makes an offer like that, and most of the time I turn it down. That's partially because I want OO to be a place I can vent my frustrations (often about money and opportunity) without having to worry about people thinking I'm hoping for a handout.

But every now and then there's an offer that I accept, either because it really solves a problem or because it's just a really on-spot offer. So YGPM, and thank you.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since this thread isn't weird enough, I'll transfer it over from the general gaming thread.

I'd seen that the folks behind Aventuria were offering a new story arc and a bunch of additional characters, but the price turned me away (plus it's not a KS, but another crowdfunding site). I've learned that trying to get this stuff in a retail space can be difficult, but this really seemed like too much to try and get now.

But then hepcat noted:
:lol:

Aventuria - Veil Dancer Hero Set - This hero set contains the hero deck of the Novadish Sharisad Karima al'Jamila and a plethora of irritating minions. In addition, with the "Orgy of Thorns" we offer you an erotic adventure that is explicitly aimed at adult players.

I knew it had to happen someday...
German erotic card-based RPG theme? I guess I'm all in now.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's like the Witcher without all that actual movement to get in the way....

Magic: The Sploogening
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, I have used Game On Tabletop for four different projects (three from the Ulysses Spiel, the same company as Aventuria, one for the Conan KS from Monolith.) Only two have reached the delivery date, but I haven't had any problems with the site at all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I realized I used them as well as part of getting the Inn of the Black Boar (they must have required we register on that site as the pledge manager for the KS) and for The Isofarian Guard KS.

I think some of it might be related to PayPal as you can no longer use PayPal for KS projects.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:03 pm

I think some of it might be related to PayPal as you can no longer use PayPal for KS projects.
With them it had something to do with the fact that they used KS for funding, then Game On Tabletop as their pledge manager/fulfillment system. They kept having lost orders and wrong orders due to some limitations with the data migration between the two (apparently it was a big problem for their Torg: Eternity - Aysle Kickstarter), so they just moved it all to a single platform starting with T:E - Cyberpapacy. Apparently GOTT is really handy for German developers for some reason.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Is this the same site that does heavy wargaming?