Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

KDH

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by KDH »

:horse: .. Image

Hand of Fate: Ordeals Hits Kickstarter and Smashes its Goal in Six Hours!
May 22 - Lee
We are very excited to announce that not only has the boardgame adaptation of Hand of Fate, HoF: Ordeals, hit Kickstarter, but it smashed its KS goal in less than six hours! Now that we’ve all had our morning coffees and shaken the disbelief out of our systems it’s time to reveal the first stretch goal - Goblins!

If you’ve encountered goblins in Hand of Fate before, you know what to expect from them on the tabletop: they’re going to steal your equipment! If you manage to take them down, however, you’ll be very richly rewarded.

Looking to future unlocks, there are a couple of addition encounters and trap challenges we're approaching the threshold for, and then the first of our big exciting secrets! Things so secret that I may have already said too much!

If you’re keen to pledge or to take a look at what we’re offering, head on over to Hand of Fate Ordeals on Kickstarter!

We’d love to have your support!
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

... Youtube .. Preview by Man Vs Meeple
... Google-Doc Rule Book

... and, of course, the PC game, in case you need a refresher
Ain't nobody got time for that
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Been waiting for this! 8-)
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For those who are interested, the kickstarter for the expansion to Roll Player is live.

Roll Player is a pretty well reviewed dice game about the process of creating a character for a role playing game. You don't actually adventure...although it sounds like this expansion might remedy that a bit.

I went hunting for the game after I learned about it last year. I was able to snag a copy at that time and I took it to an Octocon, where it got more than a few plays from folks. For a while, it was hard to find a copy. But this kickstarter also has an option to get the base game as well.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:For those who are interested, the kickstarter for the expansion to Roll Player is live.

Roll Player is a pretty well reviewed dice game about the process of creating a character for a role playing game. You don't actually adventure...although it sounds like this expansion might remedy that a bit.

I went hunting for the game after I learned about it last year. I was able to snag a copy at that time and I took it to an Octocon, where it got more than a few plays from folks. For a while, it was hard to find a copy. But this kickstarter also has an option to get the base game as well.
Interesting note, it seems like ordering the two shipment option for the base game and the expansion is actually CHEAPER than buying the game now on Amazon and Kickstartering the expansion. Now that might change when the second edition drops in a few weeks, but, at the moment, you can get in on both for less money through KS.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For Hepcat - Deadly Premonition the Board Game, with a preview video here.

I played about 2 hours of the video game on STEAM and it's bananas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Deadly Premonition is the single greatest piece of video game art ever created by humans. I dare anyone to play it and NOT bow to its greatness. It's Twin Peaks meets The Ring while riding a giant dragon with the head of Chuck Norris.

Thanks. I must mull this over.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sol: Last Days of a Dying Star is gearing for a July backer shipping. They have extras available for August.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

War of the Worlds from DVG:
The War of the Worlds is a solitaire board game that puts you in command of the Human forces in a desperate attempt to defend Earth against the invading Martian Tripods!

While you plan and carry out the Human side of the war, the game system commands the Martian forces.

The War of the Worlds is a low complexity board game for gamers, science fiction fans, and anyone who likes an easy to play game with good decision-making. Each games takes only an hour or so to play.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zombicide: Green Horde
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cm ... =user_menu
Zombicide: Green Horde is a cooperative board game for 1 to 6 players that is both a standalone game, and fully compatible with Zombicide: Black Plague and its expansions! Players control a party of medieval fantasy survivors as they fight to rid the land of an invasion of zombie orcs controlled by the game itself. Survivors find weapons, learn spells, battle zombies, and gain experience. The more experienced they get, the more powerful they become, but the more zombies rise to face them!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

For me, the 3 original sets had the right theme with classic movie characters. And my wallet is still hurting from Burning Sun. And you can have too many zombies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:War of the Worlds from DVG:
The War of the Worlds is a solitaire board game that puts you in command of the Human forces in a desperate attempt to defend Earth against the invading Martian Tripods!

While you plan and carry out the Human side of the war, the game system commands the Martian forces.

The War of the Worlds is a low complexity board game for gamers, science fiction fans, and anyone who likes an easy to play game with good decision-making. Each games takes only an hour or so to play.
I was interested in this, but the way they're handling the game in terms of add ons seems dicey. There's no core game, just 4 different boxes by regions. 50 bucks for one, but 175 smackers for all 4? Yowza.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:War of the Worlds from DVG:

I like how DVG says "low complexity" and then you look at the promo materials and see it has a separate hex-based battle board. Maybe that should read "low complexity for a DVG game."

I can't wait until they offer a KS or whatever for Warfighter Fantasy. I am all in on that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll admit my exposure to DVG titles is rather limited, but I really like the Warfighter system - so much so that I picked up a copy of Thunderbolt Apache Leader a few weeks ago. There's a lot of moving parts, but it all makes sense to me. Their game play seems to be in the ridiculous number of variables (adding to replay), not developing a complex system. Again, that's based on my very limited exposure to DVG titles. YMMV - but I'm also looking forward to their fantasy take as well.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote:For me, the 3 original sets had the right theme with classic movie characters. And my wallet is still hurting from Burning Sun. And you can have too many zombies.
I pledged for now. I can always back out if needed, but probably wont.
Game funded in under 7 minutes. Stretch goals disappearing like crazy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone should own at least one CMON game. :wink:

If I hadn't backed their other new franchise, Massive Darkness, I would jump on this.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote:Everyone should own at least one CMON game. :wink:

If I hadn't backed their other new franchise, Massive Darkness, I would jump on this.
I've been getting a little carried away with my gaming. I went from having an unopened X-Wing starter kit for a couple of years to jumping up to having 13 games currently (2 of which just arrived and more if you count the different seasons of Zombicide as individual games.)
Plus multiple kickstarters backed and waiting. some due this year, some due next year.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Defiant wrote:Crowdfunding for FLASH POINT: FIRE RESCUE digital version
This is interesting. I like the board game and I particularly like the idea of adding a "tycoon" layer as they have proposed for their stretch goal. On the other hand, I am not interested in backing video games any longer (despite the promised short wait on this one).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap -a new version of the Torg RPG is going to be released. I still have a ton of my old source books and rules. Some of the backer levels give you access to PDFs of all the old stuff via DriveThruRPG.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I got the copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies and Tiny Epic Galaxies Beyond the Black that I added on as part of my Tiny Epic Quest KS pledge. I have gotten a chance to play the beginner rogue galaxy in the stock game and all I can say is... I SUCK BADLY AT THIS GAME! It is a load of fun, but if that is the beginner level I cannot imagine what the harder levels are?! Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the rules are not exactly rocket science (har har). I am very much enjoying my time despite the losses, and I think I am not focusing enough on culture and following (preferring a strategy of upgrading my universe with energy).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Sounds like you're playing it solo? I haven't tried it solo, but I love the game. It's my favorite filler.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote:Sounds like you're playing it solo? I haven't tried it solo, but I love the game. It's my favorite filler.
Yeah, solo. I have not gotten a game in with another human. But the solo AI seems more than enough of a challenge! The games only take about 30 minutes, so it is nice solo filler.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote:( And Airborne in your Pocket. Those two hurt.)
In pretty amazing news, both D-Day Dice and Airborne in Your Pocket have seemingly been revived. From a post over on BGG:
This is Mark Rapson from Word Forge Games. It is with great pleasure that we have agreed to publish the commercial version of Airborne in your Pocket, along with a reprint/redesign of D-Day Dice (see the statement on DDD’s page for more info on that reprint).

I first learnt of Emmanuel and his games when a good friend of mine was raving about D-Day Dice. Since then, Emmanuel and I have been in nearly daily contact and we have discussed a lot. He let me know about the AIYP issues and told me what he felt and what he wanted to do. I have a huge amount of respect for him, he is a true game designer who wants to see his invention enjoyed. It must be awful for him to see his baby, embroiled in such a catastrophe... but he has a plan and I am happy that Word Forge Games can help to put it into action.

Details aren’t set in stone at the moment. The game itself will be packaged differently, and we will probably have to modify/cancel some of the stretch rewards, but be assured we will do our best to compensate each and every backer of the original Kickstarter.
(emphasis added)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That loud sound you just heard is Hentzau kerplotzing.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I saw those posts over on BGG and was quite surprised. As a Line For Life backer of both of those games, I will never get back what I had hoped to get, but you rolls your dice and you takes your chances! I'll be happy if they can somehow get me a copy of AiYP. But it will be nice to see some new DDD material too! I will probably back the Pacific games when they release them.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You were the first one I thought of when I saw it. It would still be nice to see something come fro the Up Front debacle, but at least this is a potentially good ending.

In other news, the creator of Hunters of Arcfall (a dice chucker that's a good travel game) is doing a KS for a reprint of his solo game Deep Space D-6, ending in two weeks. It's a straight-up reprint with an expansion included (if you want) that includes updated/corrected rules. I believe this is also a prelude to a co-op game set in the same universe (and I think the same general style) coming in 2018.
Deep Space D-6 is a self contained tabletop game designed from the ground up for solitaire play. In it, players take on the role of a starship captain stranded in hostile space. As captain, you'll be tasked with assigning crew member to various stations in order to deal with external threats like enemy spaceships, as well as internal threats like system malfunctions.
It was print-and-play originally before the first KS in 2015, and I've read that there's some comparison to the Stark Trek Dice Game I've seen mentioned here. Anyway, I love the case and it seems like it might be something small enough to keep in your desk at work or pack in a suitcase if you're traveling. :ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe he also made the Star Trek dice game, which I love. I was looking for a copy of DS D-6 a while ago, so I'll have to jump on this.

edit: NM. Looks like I was wrong. He didn't do the Star Trek Dice Game.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, the Star Trek Dice Game took inspiration from Deep Space D-6. Reading between the lines it appears that the creator of DS D-6 wasn't too happy when the creator of STDG tried to get that game published.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly what the history was but I'd assumed it wasn't great. I'm guessing after the Star Trek dice game surged in popularity it was a good indication that maybe a reprint for DS D-6 was in order. A $130K KS suggests it was a good hunch. Honestly, I think this is exactly the type of project KS works for. There's no way he's going to retail this game but coming up with a KS to print ~5,000 copies makes sense. It's unfortunate that there's no way to get Hunters of Arcfall or Dragon's Ransom now (outside of the used market or scalpers) but doing this is better than nothing at all. I've also really been enjoying companies using KS to reprint and update games. Other than Darkest Night (which is being held up because a bunch of people wanted $%$^ miniatures!) all the other stuff I've supported seems to be right on track. Receiving an updated/corrected copy is definitely the way to go.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd kill to see an upgraded version of The Twelve Doctors card game PnP. But I imagine the franchise cost would be too much for a small developer. It's one of my favorite indie games.
He won. Period.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Today I received Near & Far from Red Raven Games designed by Ryan Lauket. Looking forward to getting this to the table soon.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I got my shipping notice for Cthulhu Wars: Onslaught 2 today. 23.4 pounds of wonderful monsters are headed my way.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

A grand strategy game set in the world of 7th Sea, coming soon to Kickstarter.

And yes, I'll be backing it, even if I never have a chance to play the RPG.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doesn't the RPG include solo rules?

:P
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Epic AF (Awful Fantasy) has been launched. Its important to note it's a card game that uses the now abandoned Warhammer Quest adventure card game system designed by the Sadler brothers. They're also on board for this KS as well. Not being delivered until July of 2018 but that's because of the artwork.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have an exciting Kickstarter arriving soon! Just got this message: "Great news: Your Duchess Gaming Table will be shipping soon! Your table will probably be delivered between June 17 and June 29."
:D :D :D
Last edited by Lordnine on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nice. I didn't opt in to get the table before the mats were ready, so I expect mine around 2019.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, Dwarven Forge is at it again.Another kickstarter for a new dungeon set. I still regret not getting in the first kickstarter, but this one only is mildly tempting. They way they have it broken up into bundles of rooms makes sense, but it severely limits the stretch goals for smaller set entries. Still, people are gobbling it up...first day and they're already over a half million dollars pledged.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Those sets look nice and in the past have thought about backing something like that, but I am backing a bunch of different 3d printable kickstarters.. if they had a digital set for me to print I would do that though.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

My wife said a box arrived at our new house today and I think it's Nemo's War 2nd Edition. Unfortunately I'm at the apartment for our move so all I can see of my game is a picture of the nondescript brown shipping box. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?