Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:I just (pre)ordered the Broken Token insert for Gloomhaven.

I wonder which will come first, the insert or the game?

Then which will take longer, assembling the insert or finishing the campaign?
Despite having the meeple authority one, I'm thinking about thing one simply because of my disappointment in the fit of the MA one. I gave it another try today, and I will need to do some serious sanding on it to get it to work.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Lordnine wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Sol; Last Days of a Dying Star received.

:horse:
Nice, I didn't know anyone else here had backed it. Mine is supposed to arrive Wednesday.
Another backer here! But still waiting...
-mf
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

coopasonic wrote:I just (pre)ordered the Broken Token insert for Gloomhaven.

I wonder which will come first, the insert or the game?

Then which will take longer, assembling the insert or finishing the campaign?
I just ordered the BT insert as well. I hope I enjoy Gloomhaven, as I haven't spent anything close to this on a game since Too Many Bones. (Admittedly, I love that game so it was totally worth the expense.)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fishbelly wrote:I hope I enjoy Gloomhaven, as I haven't spent anything close to this on a game since Too Many Bones. (Admittedly, I love that game so it was totally worth the expense.)
Zombicide, Heroscape, X-wing, Netrunner, Magic... off the top of my head.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just ordered the BT GH organizer.

Anyone want a Meeple Realty organizer, cheap? Like $30 cheap? Lemme know!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hentzau wrote:Just ordered the BT GH organizer.

Wow, you've ordered two custom organizers for Gloomhaven? That's gotta be some sort of record. What was it in particular that you didn't like about the Meeple Realty organizer?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:

Wow, you've ordered two custom organizers for Gloomhaven? That's gotta be some sort of record. What was it in particular that you didn't like about the Meeple Realty organizer?
The joins on the parts were so tight that I couldn't even begin to dry fit the parts for testing. It would require sanding on all of the joints to assemble, and it annoyed me.

(And remember, I have assembled dozens of laser cut mdf buildings. Assembly doesn't bother me. Additional work because of them making their tolerances too tight, that bothers me.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:

The joins on the parts were so tight that I couldn't even begin to dry fit the parts for testing. It would require sanding on all of the joints to assemble, and it annoyed me.

(And remember, I have assembled dozens of laser cut mdf buildings. Assembly doesn't bother me. Additional work because of them making their tolerances too tight, that bothers me.
Wow, that sucks. I can certainly appreciate your frustration, particularly considering the expense of such custom inserts. Have you contacted their customer service? If nothing else, one would hope they'd at least provide you with a refund.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
hentzau wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:

Wow, that sucks. I can certainly appreciate your frustration, particularly considering the expense of such custom inserts. Have you contacted their customer service? If nothing else, one would hope they'd at least provide you with a refund.
I haven't. But I may. Honestly never even thought of it.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote:I haven't. But I may. Honestly never even thought of it.
It's gotta be worth a shot. I haven't dealt with Meeple Realty personally, but I would think that most custom insert companies stand behind their products (and are willing to make things right with their customers if they're unsatisfied with the quality of what they've received).
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I've had a few Meeple Realty inserts. I think their inserts are really great looking, but I have had the same problem you are describing before. They just are not as well built as the broken token, or some of the other ones I have had as well.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

For anyone who already has Gloomhaven, how important will an organizer be?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wouldn't bother. The box is frigging huge. I would recommend keeping the foam inserts to hold the monster stand ups. I posted a link to the instructions a while back, but they're easily found on bgg.
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Punisher wrote:For anyone who already has Gloomhaven, how important will an organizer be?
While I don't yet own it personally, I've seen it in action and it's definitely a behemoth of a game. Speaking as someone also eagerly awaiting the second edition of Gloomhaven, I plan on following the organization and storage advice posted here.

I always keep some GMT Counter Trays handy, so I'll use a few of those for tokens and standees, along with the envelope system and an accordian file folder for map tile storage. While it may not look as elegant as a custom wooden insert, as long as it makes for a smooth and easy set-up, I'll be happy (all the moreso since it means saving the additional $80 or so expense of a custom insert, which I'd rather put towards other games).
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks for the info guys.. I'll hold off for now. I can always buy one later if it makes sense.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:I always keep some GMT Counter Trays handy,
I've started using the DVG Deep Dish trays (so deep). They're functionally equivalent though I do think being slightly deeper does make a difference. It's really all about personal preference. Wish I had a local source as shipping is always killer on these damn things.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:I wouldn't bother. The box is frigging huge. I would recommend keeping the foam inserts to hold the monster stand ups. I posted a link to the instructions a while back, but they're easily found on bgg.
This. That's what I ended up doing. Works really well. Especially since the foam inserts are layered. I cut all the way through, then sliced off two of the three layers (in most cases). Then I used some tape to hold the last layer in. That helps because it gives when pushed, making it easier to get the pieces out.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Lordnine wrote:

Nice, I didn't know anyone else here had backed it. Mine is supposed to arrive Wednesday.
Just received my copy. Looks pretty nice. I played around with the demo version they put up on TTS but I look forward to trying it for real now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
hentzau wrote:I haven't. But I may. Honestly never even thought of it.
It's gotta be worth a shot. I haven't dealt with Meeple Realty personally, but I would think that most custom insert companies stand behind their products (and are willing to make things right with their customers if they're unsatisfied with the quality of what they've received).
Well, I emailed their customer service and they said they would refund my money. I just need to send it back to them. They suggested that I use a hammer to get the parts to fit together, but even when I was forcing them with my hands I could see the plywood starting to separate. So back it's going!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Lordnine wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:
Lordnine wrote:

Just received my copy. Looks pretty nice. I played around with the demo version they put up on TTS but I look forward to trying it for real now.
Arrived today! Was a bit paranoid as UPS was none too kind with the handling and the box was a bit smushed but the game survived intact. 8-)
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My Duchess is finally out for delivery today! My shipping label was created a full month ago but apparently they couldn't figure out how to load the truck. :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:My Duchess is finally out for delivery today! My shipping label was created a full month ago but apparently they couldn't figure out how to load the truck. :lol:
Jealous. We're going to want pics and impressions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Post pics of you lounging around on your new Duchess table.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I so wanted to be demanding, but I went ahead and said that I could wait in their survey. I don't actually need the table for anything. I have a nice big dining table already.

So I probably won't see mine until Christmas. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote:The Blood and Plunder expansion just went live today. I'm going to end up passing on it, I still haven't had a chance to put brush to figure on all of the stuff I got through the first wave.

See? I can grow and mature and evolve!
So I snuck in a backing of this project, at the $100 level, just to get the new rule book, and the kickstarter exclusives, plus a buccaneer/privateer faction. But today I cancelled it, just too many unexpected summertime expenses. That $125 can be used for, say, groceries.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote:I so wanted to be demanding, but I went ahead and said that I could wait in their survey. I don't actually need the table for anything. I have a nice big dining table already.

So I probably won't see mine until Christmas. :(
I took the middle option. I really wanted to take the rush option but don't have any real justification for it and I figure the longer I wait the better they will get at shipping them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:I always keep some GMT Counter Trays handy,
I've started using the DVG Deep Dish trays (so deep). They're functionally equivalent though I do think being slightly deeper does make a difference. It's really all about personal preference. Wish I had a local source as shipping is always killer on these damn things.
Square! That's how a proper deep dish is made! ;)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote:
Lordnine wrote:My Duchess is finally out for delivery today! My shipping label was created a full month ago but apparently they couldn't figure out how to load the truck. :lol:
Jealous. We're going to want pics and impressions.
Just a quick pic. I got the base table setup. Actuality have not taken the topper out of the box yet. I wanted to see what my game that I will be Kickstarting soon looked like setup on it. :)

Enlarge Image

Anyways, the table seems pretty nice. I have one spot of damage on the rail and a small scratch on the opposite side. I'm pretty confident I can cover up both with a wood marker. Table feels pretty sturdy and looks great. I will take a few more pics once I get the topper setup.
Last edited by Lordnine on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

And a couple more photos.

All set up!
Enlarge Image

Fold out cup holders.
Enlarge Image

The topper splits down the middle so it is light enough for one person to take it off easily. It also has a gasket in-between the seam so no water can seep through if accidentally spilled.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Lordnine on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That looks great. I can't wait... except I have to. I think I ordered most of the options, but I don't remember. :doh:

Now to decide if I show my wife the pics. This is supposed to be our new dining room table.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think she will be very happy with it when it comes. One thing to be aware of, the blue mat in my photos is actually a yoga mat I picked up from Amazon for $10. Because I opted to receive the table early I will be one of the last people to get the official mats.

Also, I would recommend having a second person help put the table together. There is nothing really hard about it but I had to wedge the rails up against a wall to prevent them from separating when I was trying to tighten everything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lordnine wrote:I think she will be very happy with it when it comes. One thing to be aware of, the blue mat in my photos is actually a yoga mat I picked up from Amazon for $10.
I thought so. I use a yoga mat for gaming myself, cut to fit my table. Best investment I ever made.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I noticed the Dinogenics prototype. That looks pretty awesome! How is that project coming?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:I noticed the Dinogenics prototype. That looks pretty awesome! How is that project coming?
It’s really close to being ready to launch! Getting everything in place has proved a much larger endeavor than I originally imagined but it’s all coming together now. I found out last week that my production company has actually gone ahead and started to produce a demo set of the laser cut dino meeples at no cost. This is awesome because I wasn’t expecting to have anything other than the 3D renders at the time of launch. I should have the final price analysis of the stretch goals by the end of this week.

I’m also waiting for two video previews to come back from reviewers; they should be arriving by the end of next week.

All in all, I’m looking at a launch either July 26th or August 2nd. If you would like to keep up with the project you can check out the BGG page or Facebook group.
Last edited by Lordnine on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Munchkin Special Delivery.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/84 ... s_launched

Signed versions are going FAST... So jump if you want one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Punisher wrote:Munchkin Special Delivery.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/84 ... s_launched

Signed versions are going FAST... So jump if you want one.
Got stuck in six player game of Munchkin many many years ago and I have never been able to get near it since. I hate to be the guy who ruins the game for everyone else, so I continued to compete and continued to knock other people down and would not play kingmaker and the game went on for hours. Just your mention of it gives me flashbacks to the ruining of an entire convention evening over one game that was no fun and would never end for which people wouldn't let their competitive natures go and declare the game as suck!

My advice is if you enjoy the game, never ever ever play with more than 4 players.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, this is definitely unique: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures. You can hot swap the arms, it looks like. Not something I'd back, but it does look rather cool.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote:Well, this is definitely unique: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures. You can hot swap the arms, it looks like. Not something I'd back, but it does look rather cool.
I saved that.. Will see what funds are like when it is towards the end. does look cool though..

I wonder if there is a way to cast as a magnet... then you could have a paperdoll figure with metal attachments for the armor and what ever you wanted.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:Well, this is definitely unique: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures. You can hot swap the arms, it looks like. Not something I'd back, but it does look rather cool.
Those are awesome. I kind of wish I had a DnD group just so I could justify buying them.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Dammit, Firelock! I just talked myself out of getting in on this kickstarter for the new Blood and Plunder line, and now you announce a deluxe, leather(ette) bound omnibus copy of the rules available only through the kickstarter! Not fair!!!