Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Lordnine »

And Death May Die has its own debacle. The giant Cthulhu was a limited run item and sold out immediately. Now the comment section is in an uproar. With any other company it would probably be enough to tank it but as this is CMON, the numbers are still going up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was just going to post that. I get that it's a limited production capacity, but having +$5 tiers to try and get it that (I guess) were all gone in 30 seconds seems rather...odd. I liked the look of some of the minis, but some of them look decidedly meh. I'm sure it's going to make 37 Brazilian dollars though.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm Eclipse v2 is going to tear me apart. Yes, I WANT it. But I already have ALL of it. Organized.

BUT it doesn't get played as much as it should because it's a space Euro at its core -- with not enough Ameritrash combat to pull in the Chicago crew.
That is a shame, Eclipse is one of the games that get's played almost every time the crew around here get's together.

I don't usually do Kickstarters, but I am doing Eclipse. And I have everything for V1 as well.

However, with the max pledge you get little plastic ships for the Humans as well.... 6 sets of special ships, just for the humans...

And storage containers...And stuff...

Must have stuff!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's it. I'm going to have to visit the Ohio office and see you more, RMC.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 pm That's it. I'm going to have to visit the Ohio office and see you more, RMC.
Always an open room at Chez RMC. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm Yeah, I was just going to post that. I get that it's a limited production capacity, but having +$5 tiers to try and get it that (I guess) were all gone in 30 seconds seems rather...odd. I liked the look of some of the minis, but some of them look decidedly meh. I'm sure it's going to make 37 Brazilian dollars though.
1 Brazilian Real equals
0.26 United States Dollar

That's not much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die (big surprise) but only the core game (I had a brief chance to back the giant statue).

I just can’t justify spending $150 on one miniature... errrr... that isn’t Citadel branded (he said hurriedly blocking sight to his 40K minis).
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I actually wonder how many people will have forgotten about the game by the time the statue ships. The game is supposed to be delivered next year but looking at the backer numbers and their estimated production timeline, a lot of people won’t receive the statue until at least 2021. Most CMON games rely on the “Cult of the New” so 3 years is a long time to wait for something. My bet is that in a couple years it won't be too hard to find them on ebay for a fair bit less than they are costing people in the Kickstarter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Or, let's pretend the first wave of statues are delivered and there are problems - like maybe QC issues. Now you have backers stacked out for 2 more years wondering if they're going to get a crap product or will there be changes made to address issues that the early adopters experienced. No thanks.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So the two big Kickstarters have fallen pretty flat for me this week but this little guy seems pretty intriguing. Rurik: Dawn of Kiev. Area control with a bidding mechanic and a pretty art style.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Now on Kickstarter:

Trogdor!! The Board Game
Hodor.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I missed out on the first Thunderstone Quest kickstarter, and was trying to find it retail. Apparently they are going back to kickstarter for the reprint. I find that I am not so anxious now to throw $150 at the campaign.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was going to share it later; they certainly don't need our promotion. I too bustled at the price, however I've been learning (of late) that I really like this type of game. I'm still kicking myself for not getting Thunderstone Advance when it first came out - I should have sold all my original Thunderstone stuff and just upgraded to it. With the new solo mode coming, I can at least justify it a bit more.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m becoming more and more reluctant to back games like this. In my opinion they’re reducing the value of backing projects with ridiculously pumped up prices, all while knowing that even if they don’t get the full funding, they’ll still go to print for retail sales...complete with Kickstarter upgrade packs for those willing to pay even more.

It’s a shame too because there are developers who give their customers good value while still relying on their backers for production, and not solely as a pre order system.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's Thunderstone.... Pass.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 am It's Thunderstone.... Pass.
I have to agree, Thunderstone was never one of the games that I really enjoyed. Unless this version is a ton different than what I have played before.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

RMC wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 am
Zarathud wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 am It's Thunderstone.... Pass.
I have to agree, Thunderstone was never one of the games that I really enjoyed. Unless this version is a ton different than what I have played before.
It's been a long time since I played Thunderstone, but looking at the rules PDF for TQ, it looks quite a bit different. Same core mechanic, but a lot more things to do, plus some structure to the dungeon.

Reading their page, it looks like TQ is going to be available in stores Q4 2018. So I'll just wait for it to show up at my FLGS.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know, if you're going to create a scam board game project on Kickstarter, maybe don't present a lot of the rulebook for Massive Darkness as your own?
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 pm You know, if you're going to create a scam board game project on Kickstarter, maybe don't post the rulebook for Massive Darkness as your own, while just changing the name Massive Darkness to your own?
Ouch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was looking over the comparison and I changed my post to reflect that it isn't as fully plagiarized as I initially thought. However, they did just grab the MD rulebook as a template and went from there. The funny thing is that while I was reading over their rules, I started to want the damn thing. :oops:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was pretty blatant. They even used a Firefox logo for their company and copied their company description from Mythic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm I was looking over the comparison and I changed my post to reflect that it isn't as fully plagiarized as I initially thought. However, they did just grab the MD rulebook as a template and went from there. The funny thing is that while I was reading over their rules, I started to want the damn thing. :oops:
Can I interest you in a near mint copy of Massive Darkness with all Kickstarter stretch goals? :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh god no, not Massive Darkness. But the game they were trying to sell sounded substantially better.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... The 7th Continent. For those of us that missed (or passed on) the 2nd Edition Kickstarter, there is an opportunity for a "late pledge" delivering in Wave 2, Q1 2019. I don't have the 1st edition but I seem to recall it getting a lot of love here, is that true? If I pick up a copy, not sure if I should stick with just the base game (962 cards, 4 curses, $80) or go for the full blown version (1200+ cards, 6 curses, unlocked stretch goals, $129)… what you tink?
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed the base game and I've got more than enough to play with for the foreseeable future.

I don't think I'll ever play this game outside solo though. It's just not a very good multiplayer game, I believe. The unstructured turn order, the lack of any real cooperation, it all plays into the weakness of a stereotypical "multiplayer solo game" that folks complain about in a lot of co-ops that should be just single player.

But as a solo game, it's a lot of fun.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks for the information. Forgot to mention that the only play it would (more than likely) get is solo play.
-mf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've had fun with it the couple of times that I've had a chance to play it multiplayer.
wire

Post by wire »

One of the guys in my Pathfinder group (the guy in the video) put up a Kickstarter for his hand crafted dice box and tray system. They are quality pieces with many different wood type options. The magnets he uses are strong and hold everything to together and you need a little muscle to get them to separate. The box and tray can be kind of expensive based on the wood and optional things like inlay designs but they are quality pieces. Thought maybe a few people on here may be interested in checking out the Kickstarter.

The Nomad's Armory
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Those look really nice!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Those are nice. Seems like a nice alternative to Wyrmwood (who are out of my price range.)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Wow... very nice. Don't need one but may have to get one anyway. :D
-mf
wire

Post by wire »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 pm Those are nice. Seems like a nice alternative to Wyrmwood (who are out of my price range.)
We have one person in our group with a Wyrmwood dice tray and it is bigger but not nearly as sturdy. When Teejay brought his prototypes in the person with the Wyrmwood tray wished she had waited.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

On the one hand, this would be genuinely useful for me. Even though I don't travel to game, I have very limited table space and a dice tray I can put on the sofa or a side table helps a lot.

On the other hand, I already have a hand-crafted wooden dice tray that serves this purpose.

On the third hand, that dice tray was hand-crafted out of balsa wood by a 7-year-old.

On the fourth hand, that young artisan might be irritated if I replace his creation with something... good.

Decisions, decisions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let’s be honest: you’ll keep the balsa tray. You’re a dad. :D
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's before my time, but maybe some of you old folks can appreciate the just launched Steve Jackson KS for his recently re-acquired RPG system, The Fantasy Trip. Funded in under an hour, so I'm guessing nostalgia factor is high.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God, I remember Melee. It was one of the earliest boardgames I ever played as a kid. :shock:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Wizard and Melee are the games that made me a gamer. This is an insta-back.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nostalgia can only take you so far though. I have a feeling these games won't hold up after all this time.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I read through the rules for these games again recently. There was a surprising amount of tactics in that very small package.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I enjoyed Massive Darkness, you guys make me weep ;)
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace