Star Wars: Rebellion

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Star Wars: Rebellion

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

False advertising!

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ack! It was actually at the price above (sold by Amazon) for about half an hour last night. I saw this ad 45 minutes too late!
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Wow, that's a killer deal, particularly for such a hot title (or at least it was).

Sorry to hear you missed out, R-W. You could perhaps try opening a chat session with an Amazon CSR and sharing that screenshot with them; if you're lucky, you may be able to prevail upon them to honour that price for you in the interest of making the sale. Worst case they'll turn you down, but they may be willing to at least throw you a bone of some sort.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I gave it a shot. At first the CSR sounded like it wouldn't be a problem. Then he transferred me to another CSR who said they don't do price adjustments. Damn.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I gave it a shot. At first the CSR sounded like it wouldn't be a problem. Then he transferred me to another CSR who said they don't do price adjustments. Damn.
That sucks. Amazon always used to be quite reasonable about making price adjustments like that in the past. But alas, if memory serves, they did switch to a stricter policy on price adjustments and price matching just last year, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Definitely. I really did think I was going to get it for the cheap price. Especially when he said:
10:25 AM PDT Gen: I do understand that you want to get the price adjustment of the item you purchase.

No worries, I’ll help you with that.

But then
10:36 AM PDT Gen: Thank you so much for patiently waiting. We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change. While the Amazon.com website has accurate pricing information, Here's what I'm going to do. A member of our pricing team will need to help you with this. Please hold while I transfer you.
Everything went downhill from there.

/sad tuba
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

I picked up the Zen Bins Rebellion Custom Storage Trays after seeing Anonymous Bosch's post about them. They are an awesome idea. Prior to this I was going to use plastic baggies and thought that it would take a disappointingly long while to setup a game. Now with the trays I can already see that setup will be much much easier.
Anonymous Bosch

raydude wrote:I picked up the Zen Bins Rebellion Custom Storage Trays after seeing Anonymous Bosch's post about them. They are an awesome idea. Prior to this I was going to use plastic baggies and thought that it would take a disappointingly long while to setup a game. Now with the trays I can already see that setup will be much much easier.
Indeed, you're certainly in for a treat the next time you play. While this game ranks among my all-time favourites, prior to owning the Zen Bins trays, I found that the required playtime was perhaps its greatest drawback. So being able to almost completely eliminate the time wasted on game set-up and break-down (as well as optimising the process of Leader selection during Recruitment phases) significantly increased our enjoyment of the game, and consequently, the likelihood of actually getting it to the table. So I'd be interested to read if your experience is similar after you've had the chance to play using the Zen Bins trays.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ok, I just ordered a set of trays. Hope you guys get your commission.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Ordered a set of Tata and printed off the helpers posted at the beginning of this thread. Laminated and ready. After over a year of owning the game I think I'm going to get around to playing it as soon as those trays arrive haha
Anonymous Bosch

Chrisoc13 wrote:Ordered a set of Tata and printed off the helpers posted at the beginning of this thread. Laminated and ready. After over a year of owning the game I think I'm going to get around to playing it as soon as those trays arrive haha
Not entirely sure how the set of Tatas factor in, but given your enthusiasm and appreciation for other Star Wars tabletop games, I look forward to reading your perspective once you've played; I think you're in for a treat.

BTW, I'd also strongly recommend printing or downloading Universal Head's Rules Summary and Reference prior to your first game. It's truly invaluable for quick reference while playing the game, and much more convenient than relying exclusively on the dual rulebooks during your first game or two.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Haha wow auto correct. Trays. A set of trays.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Any rumors of any expansions for this game? I do enjoy it, but it get's a little old with the same toons all the time.

Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I haven't heard anything, which is kind of surprising, since FFG likes to throw out expansions like candy. I'm not sure that I want an expansion for Rebellion -- it's such a tightly designed game as-is (combat aside).

On the other hand, I think that a sequel set in the post-RotJ era could be interesting. Still asymmetrical, but with the power dynamics reversed: the New Republic on the rise, the remnants of the Empire being driven back to the edges of the galaxy.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Now I know why you were asking! I just visited the FFG website and lo and behold:
Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the upcoming release of the Rise of the Empire expansion for Star Wars™: Rebellion!

Inspired largely by the characters and events of Rogue One, Rise of the Empire introduces a plethora of new heroes, villains, starships, troopers, and vehicles from that film, alongside other characters, ships, and events from Star Wars: Rebels and the classic trilogy, plus new missions that add more drama and intrigue to your games.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks like it to me then that this is an expansion. So cool. 3rd qtr 2017, so maybe with delays a Christmas purchase for me.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Nice. I like the addition of rogue one material.
Anonymous Bosch

While I'm undeniably intrigued by the notion of the announced expansion, I also share AWS260's concerns about expanding the base game. Particularly if it also expands the required playtime (which, alas, already tends to be of sufficient length to inhibit the odds of getting it to the table as often as I'd prefer). Still, I'm curious to discover if it adds anything to the game beyond the obvious, i.e. extra characters, miniatures, missions, and projects/objectives.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Well I see some green dice as well as Interdictor class imperial ship so it looks some new wrinkles for combat.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebels need to steal.the Death Star plans first before being able to attack it.

Probably some fun new scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Scoop20906 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebels need to steal.the Death Star plans first before being able to attack it.
The article shows a new Empire mission "Secure the Plans" that prevents the Rebel player from playing "Death Star Plans". It looks like when they "secure" the plans they mark a planet with a new kind of token and the effect persists until the Rebels remove the token, presumably through a mission and/or combat.

Only helps if/when the Empire draws the card and successfully completes it but it sounds pretty tough to me. In our games the Death Star hasn't done much except provide the Rebels with a relatively easy 2 points.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daveman wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebels need to steal.the Death Star plans first before being able to attack it.
The article shows a new Empire mission "Secure the Plans" that prevents the Rebel player from playing "Death Star Plans". It looks like when they "secure" the plans they mark a planet with a new kind of token and the effect persists until the Rebels remove the token, presumably through a mission and/or combat.

Only helps if/when the Empire draws the card and successfully completes it but it sounds pretty tough to me. In our games the Death Star hasn't done much except provide the Rebels with a relatively easy 2 points.
Yeah, in the base game it seems like the Death Star is at least as much a liability as an asset for the Empire. It's a target that the Empire needs to worry about / babysit starting when Death Star Plans become available.

The main use for it seems to be that you can as the Empire choose to focus more heavily on your fleet rather than ground forces, and then use the Death Star to blow up the rebel base planet in lieu of taking it on the ground.
Black Lives Matter.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

FFG's put out a few preview articles about the expansion so far. The most recent is here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... xy-at-war/

The new units will all use the new green dice. The green die only has 2 success on it but they're both "direct hits", so one more than the standard die. So less odds of hitting, but they can always choose between hitting black or red type targets. Not sure it sounds like a great tradeoff to me but I think the main reason to add some of these units to your force will be the new tactics cards. The Rebel and Empire each get their own tactics deck now and it looks like a lot of cards will have special effects if you have a certain type of unit in the battle.

Also seems you don't draw tactics cards equal to your leaders tactics values anymore, but choose one card per round. Leaders tactic values now grant a number of rerolls per round.

Big points from the previous articles:

1. The expansion comes with a new deck of mission cards per player, but they aren't fully integrated into the existing missions. First, you take all missions with a leader icon on them and set them aside. That leaves you with icon-free missions from the original game and missions from the expansion which have an expansion symbol on them. So there will be a "core" deck from the original game and expansion to choose from, then all the leader-specific missions get mixed in too.

2. The new leaders have a lot of mission skill symbols, but many of them are smaller "minor" icons. Minor icons count toward fulfilling mission requirements but if you're opposed you only get to roll green dice for each minor icon.
Anonymous Bosch

Interesting.

Tactical combat in the base game often feels somewhat lacklustre for a Star Wars game, which is a real shame given its spectacular array of miniatures. So it's good to know they're improving it by way of injecting more thematic flavour with unique Rebel and Empire tactics decks. As long as it doesn't unnecessarily drag out the required playtime, that could be a significant improvement.

I look forward to seeing some reviews of how it plays and compares to the base game.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Picked up my copy of Rise of the Empire at my FLGS and finished sorting it all out. Really looking forward to trying it out ASAP! A few cards are replaced with slightly reworded versions (Super Star Destroyer can build in 2 turns if you assign 2 leaders to it's project, Rebel "Sabotage" card can be used to destroy Shield Bunkers), and the deck of mini Tactics cards isn't used at all in favor of an all new system. Combat got the most changes overall and it looks a lot more interesting. The new units are nice... they all use the inferior green die in combat but offer some nice abilities via the new tactic deck so they're encouraging combined arms. For example, if you have a U-Wing in combat there's a card that lets you can rescue a captured leader present in the system if you retreat!

Sadly the Empire has some new ways to capture or kill leaders, and reduce reputation as well so it's not all good news for the Rebels. Both factions have new ways to recruit additional leaders (max of 8 allowed at any time, however) as well. The Rebels have a starting action card they might draw which lets them recruit Saw Gererra (so that's 5 starting leaders!) but they lose 1 reputation if they do, otherwise you discard that card and draw a new one.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

That sounds awesome. I've ordered my copy.

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Forgot to mention one notable part... they doubled the number of Rebel objective cards. You shuffle each category together and then deal out however many cards there should be for each step (I, II and III). Some of these are very different and as someone who's only played the Rebels so far I think this really changes the game for them. I was often shooting for the same objectives but now you have to work with what comes up.

One objective card is revealed and then the Imperial player marks two of his planets. If you take a marked planet you get 1 reputation. Another step III objective forces the Rebels to reveal their base, but they get 1 reputation every turn unless/until they relocate.

Oh, when creating the deck you still put in 2 Death Star Plans, so they will always be available.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

So is there a mission to steal the Death Star plans or are they always available in the deck?

Any changes to how Yoda is handled?

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Death Star plans are always put in the objective deck, but the Empire gets two new tools to protect the Death Star. One is Shield Bunkers, a defensive structure that makes an orbiting Death Star (under construction too) invulnerable until the Rebels destroy the bunker via ground combat or the newly reworded Sabotage mission. The other is a new mission "Secure the Plans". That mission is attempted in any remote system... if successful, the Empire player puts a marker on the planet and the Rebels can't play "Death Star Plans" objective until they remove that marker.

So it's not a Rebel mission per se, but if the Empire draws that mission and completes it the Rebels will have to take that planet if they want to take down the Death Star.

No changes to Yoda. The "Seek Yoda" mission and all others that have a character icon are included in any game. It's the half of the mission deck that doesn't have a character icon that players have a choice of when setting up the game. They can play with the ones from the core set, or use the new missions with a Vader icon on them. I haven't checked those out in detail because we'd rather be surprised. Besides those the expansion includes 4 new character missions per faction (one per new leader) and a few new Project cards for the Empire (Single Reactor Ignition destroys all Rebel ground units on a planet rather than the whole planet, Interdictor Development is how the Empire builds the new Interdictor ships).
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ah. I see that prevent the Death Star from becoming an open liability and now it's more of a menace for the rebs.

Anonymous Bosch

Daveman: I'm curious to know what effect, if any, the expansion has upon the typical length of play. If you could clarify that after playing with the expansion, it'd be much appreciated.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Will do, hope to play this long weekend. There are more ways to get leaders earlier/faster and some expressed concern that might make the game longer as you have more decisions to make, but we'll see.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Daveman wrote:Will do, hope to play this long weekend. There are more ways to get leaders earlier/faster and some expressed concern that might make the game longer as you have more decisions to make, but we'll see.
Or like when I play, and freakin Obiwan turns to the darkside and then kills my leaders and get's Han frozen in carbonite. But I still pulled out a victory by the skin of my teeth, due to a couple of timely card draws.

Like the game a ton, just wish it was more than 2 players. The 4 player mechanic is silly.
Anonymous Bosch

RMC wrote:Like the game a ton, just wish it was more than 2 players. The 4 player mechanic is silly.
YMMV, but I enjoyed the 4-player version of the game myself. It adds another layer of subterfuge, as you have to coordinate with your partner without revealing your strategy to the other team.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
RMC wrote:Like the game a ton, just wish it was more than 2 players. The 4 player mechanic is silly.
YMMV, but I enjoyed the 4-player version of the game myself. It adds another layer of subterfuge, as you have to coordinate with your partner without revealing your strategy to the other team.
Okay, there is that. I guess I played it 3 player, so it was a handicap to the two player team and the single player only had himself to worry about.
Anonymous Bosch

RMC wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Okay, there is that. I guess I played it 3 player, so it was a handicap to the two player team and the single player only had himself to worry about.
I see what you mean. Indeed, that would be a bit of an unfair handicap with three players.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That works fine when I'm playing Letters from Whitechapel. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

We had a group of about 5 people and we had 3 Imps and 2 Rebs and had a grand time. We didn't bother with the 4 player rulez. It was just fun to discuss the options while trying to give away vital information. Lots of fun.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:Ah. I see that prevent the Death Star from becoming an open liability and now it's more of a menace for the rebs.

Yeah, glad to hear that. One minor annoyance I had with the base game is that the Death Star is really more of a liability than an asset for the Empire.

Also glad to see that you can shorten Super Star Destroyer construction. One other minor issue with the base game is that it seems like the Empire doesn't really have time for many of its cool projects, and in particular unless you get it and produce it right away, by the time you get the SSD on the board and somewhere useful the game's probably 90%+ over.
Black Lives Matter.
Jamesgoole

Star Wars Rebellion

Post by Jamesgoole »

not sure if i will buy it. Last star wars MMO was a bust
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am guessing ole James is a spam bot, since this is a board game.