Star Wars: Rebellion

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Scoop20906

Re: Star Wars: Rebellion

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm playing the game next weekend with the expansion so James I will be sure to let you know how the graphics look.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shhhhh! I wanna see him try to fit the game box into his optical drive.
Covfefe!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I got in a game with the new expansion and we had a great time.

First off the new advanced tactics cards really improve combat and changing the light saber icon on the dice to removing damage from a unit adds a great layer of strategy because rolling second now has that advantage. That icon saved many ships.

The u-wing can carry one unit which allowed the rebels to take a quick strike force and occupy planets not well garrisoned by the Empire. This allowed a follow up diplomacy mission to improve your chances to gain loyalty which leads to more rebel ships on the board.

The new shield generator unit adds a new strategy to the Empire allowing them to deploy ships to neutral planets of the shield generator is there. It also does a great job of protecting the Death Star. On the Death Star, now it starts the game under construction with 3rd build queue which could give the rebels a small chance to destroy it. That would take some luck and the Empire choosing to not protect it maybe choosing the find the rebel early instead.

I liked a few of the new missions but nothing stood out as much. Overall, the combat improvement was the real standout to me. Combat became something I looked forward too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, I (with NickAragua) got in an expansion game last night as well, which I narrowly won as the Empire. The early game was brutal for me with some awful dice which (along with a bold rebel invasion of Corellia) got General Tagge killed (with the rebel combat card which allows killing an Imperial leader), which combined with him starting with Saw Garrera left me at a 2 leader disadvantage early.

However, I was eventually able to compensate via capturing rebel leaders and via the imperial "recruit a leader without tactics" mission (recruiting Boba Fett). With some imperial manufacturing missions I was able to crank out several Star Destroyers and built an Interdictor, which allowed a large imperial fleet to trap and destroy the main rebel fleet at Toydaria, opening the way for an invasion of the rebel base at Kessel.

One other caveat is that neither of us had played the base game for over 6 months at least, and neither of us had played the expansion ever, so I'm 99% sure that we butchered the rules, just not sure in which particular ways.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The main confusion I had was what exactly is the point of "resolving your attacks after the other player" in a battle? Some of the advanced tactics cards have that as a possible effect, and I was puzzled as to how that would be in any way useful.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:The main confusion I had was what exactly is the point of "resolving your attacks after the other player" in a battle? Some of the advanced tactics cards have that as a possible effect, and I was puzzled as to how that would be in any way useful.
Yeah, I was looking that up (partly prompted by Scoop's comments), and it's one of the things that we did wrong. So basically combat is supposed to work like this:

(1) Attacker rolls dice, and assigns hits (putting damage tokens under defender units)
(2) Defender rolls dice, and assigns hits (putting damage tokens under attacker units), and uses 'healing' (lightsaber) rolls to remove damage tokens to their ships
(3) Ships with fatal damage are removed; next round of combat (if no one retreats)
(4) Attacker rolls dice, assigns hits, and can now use any lightsaber / healing dice to remove damage on his units.
(5) Defender rolls dice, etc. etc.

So the attacker (unlike the defender) effectively does not get to use 'healing' results on the first round, because the defender has not assigned any hits. It also means that even on the second and subsequent rounds of combat the attacker can only use 'healing' results on units that were damaged in previous rounds but not destroyed - they can't use them to prevent a unit from going from healthy to fatal damage.

So, that's the defender advantage, and why the attacker would want to play the tactic card to switch to defender status.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, well, at least we applied the wrong rules more or less evenly across the board.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Other rules clarifications:

(1) leaders can reroll dice every round, not just once per battle (that is, "one per attack" means "once per attack per round").
(2) the attack tactic card goes first, UNLESS the defender plays a 'cancel' tactic card, in which case that goes first. Some debate over how that works with 'escape plan'
(3) You are required to play a tactics card every round.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

You got it El Guapo. One other wrinkle is you HAVE to play a card each round and you can choose not to use the power. Also, once you use that card it is unavailable to you until you exhaust that deck which can have some pretty large consequences in battle. Also, there is one card that lets you kill a leader in the battle if you can eliminate all forces in that theatre. I never got to use it but that's majorly powerful and might make you think twice before taking Vader to a battle where he is at a forces disadvantage.

Battles were much more fun this time and instead of stopping the game dead actually had me excited. With some timely cards and good rolls Rebels now have a chance to steal a victory or wreak some major damage on the Empire and gain the reputation for it.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:You got it El Guapo. One other wrinkle is you HAVE to play a card each round and you can choose not to use the power. Also, once you use that card it is unavailable to you until you exhaust that deck which can have some pretty large consequences in battle. Also, there is one card that lets you kill a leader in the battle if you can eliminate all forces in that theatre. I never got to use it but that's majorly powerful and might make you think twice before taking Vader to a battle where he is at a forces disadvantage.

Battles were much more fun this time and instead of stopping the game dead actually had me excited. With some timely cards and good rolls Rebels now have a chance to steal a victory or wreak some major damage on the Empire and gain the reputation for it.
Yeah, NickAragua killed General Tagge with that tactics card with a turn 1 attack on Corellia, which was pretty devastating. Though I did bounce back eventually.
Black Lives Matter.