Reminder: For your holiday/Black Friday shopping, please use the Amazon affiliate links. This time of year can generate the lion's share of affiliate income for the year to keep the lights on. Every bit helps! Thanks!

PAX Unplugged - Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in November

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

coopasonic

PAX Unplugged - Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in November

Post by coopasonic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Directly competing with BoardGameGeekCon :P
http://unplugged.paxsite.com/

ABOUT

PAX Unplugged will be an exciting analog-focused extension of our already existing portfolio of PAX events. We've found that the Tabletop parts of PAX have grown and grown to the point where we said, "You know what? Let's make a show that's just that."
-Coop

Isgrimnur

Re: PAX Unplugged - Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in Novemb

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:26 pm

The plot thickens.
Silver - 5k

Daveman

Post by Daveman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

I've never been so interested in the various gaming conventions to make the trip as they're all just a little too far away for my tastes. This one is <20 minutes away so I'll be following this one closely.

Holman

Post by Holman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:02 pm

A major gaming convention in Philadelphia (where I live)?? That is awesome (for me)!!

The Philly Convention Center should be a good site for it.

Holman

Post by Holman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

So as this gets closer, I'd love to know if any OO'ers will be attending. This would be a great way to pull off the Mid-Atlantic meet-up we've occasionally talked about.

I (and I'll bet Default as well) could be a source on places to stay/eat/drink and how to get around in Philadelphia.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:17 am

I'm tempted to attend this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906

Jamesgoole

PAX Unplugged Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in November

Post by Jamesgoole » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 am

have I told you yet that youre awesome?

Blackhawk

Re: PAX Unplugged Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in November

Post by Blackhawk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 am

Jamesgoole wrote:have I told you yet that youre awesome?
Oh, James. I knew you were the one! :wub:
[This space left intentionally blank.]

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Wife and I are going to this. Anyone else going?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:16 pm

The travel distance involved for myself means that BGGCon gets all of my planning for that weekend.
Silver - 5k

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm

My wife and I have kicked around the idea of going, since it's the only board gaming con remotely near us. I worry that my kid (7 yrs old) would get bored/cranky. He likes board games, but three straight days of board games would definitely test his patience.
2 Kings 2:24

Holman

Post by Holman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm

I live in Philadelphia and have tickets for me, my two boys, and at least one of their friends on Saturday 11/18. We'll be at the con all day then, but I'll be pretty busy with the teens.

I'm thinking of getting another ticket for me for Friday or (more likely) Sunday if any OO'ers will be available for a meet up. Who's coming? A lot depends on what else I might have to deal with that weekend.

Punisher

Re: PAX Unplugged - Tabletop Focused PAX in Philly in November

Post by Punisher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 am

So.. This is coming up this week and I'm pretty psyched for it. We are getting a hotel about 20 minutes from the convention center and are heading down on Wednesday. Will probably figure out the parking situation and travel time on Wed as well, then use Thursday to rest up. We will be going all 3 days.. Some people from work are going and we might meet up, but no plans have been set and I'm not sure where my focus will be...The only thing that is a must see right now is Star Wars Legion. I'll probably give the schedule a once over on Thursday, but usually just wing it unless something really exciting stands out... Would have been nice to stay at a hotel within walking distance, but my room from Wed-Sun cost less than most hotels near there's day rates.

Holman

Post by Holman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

OMG, I can't believe I forgot to post this tip for Philadelphia visitors!

If you're at PAX, you're at the Convention Center, which means you are right next door to the awesome food and other offerings of the Reading Terminal Market. It's located in the block immediately south of the eastern half of the convention complex: the intersection of 12th and Arch Street will get you an entrance.

The Market is a giant indoor collection of farmers' markets, bakeries, delis, cafes, grocers, and all sorts of other food vendors. Seating is available. It's full of great options.

If you're at the Con and find yourself eating fast food at any point, you're doing it wrong.

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am

Holman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm
OMG, I can't believe I forgot to post this tip for Philadelphia visitors!

If you're at PAX, you're at the Convention Center, which means you are right next door to the awesome food and other offerings of the Reading Terminal Market. It's located in the block immediately south of the eastern half of the convention complex: the intersection of 12th and Arch Street will get you an entrance.

The Market is a giant indoor collection of farmers' markets, bakeries, delis, cafes, grocers, and all sorts of other food vendors. Seating is available. It's full of great options.

If you're at the Con and find yourself eating fast food at any point, you're doing it wrong.
I disagree.. My wife and I accidentally stumbled onto to this while taking a quick walk outside... That place is not conducive to a quick lunch.. That place appears to be a huge time-sink! I told my wife, that if we started walking through it, we would probably have to skip the rest of the convention that day..It's pretty damn bug and has a LOT of choices.. We could easily do a couple of hours taking our time to walk through and sample it.There were also a lot of lines... They also close at 6PM so we couldn't even go after the vendor part of the convention closed. Plus everything smelled delicious.. On a food related not.. The convention people must be high. They wanted over $5 for a 16oz bottle of soda... We did pay $17 for a cheesesteak and fries. The fries were $6, but were a decent size and VERY good.. nice and crispy..
Anyway, day one was fun. We were able to make 2 painting workshops I wanted to do.. Had to register as soon as they opened.... Also was ver heartbroken when I found out that Fantasy Flight Games did NOT bring Star Wars Legion with them.. They did have Fallout though and there was a line to play it all day.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 am

I am jealous. I had convinced my wife to leave the kid with her folks so we could go, but then I got called away on a work trip. No pressure, but I am living vicariously through you for the next two days.
2 Kings 2:24