Old RPGs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

gbasden

Old RPGs

Post by gbasden »

So, I'm doing a long neglected closet cleaning, and I'm finding the boxes of pen and paper RPGs I've stored. I have everything from the original paper pre-basic D&D 3 book rules, Arduin, original 1st ed D&D books including 1st ed Deities and Demigods, Gamma World, Traveller, 2nd Ed D&D with every expansion known to man, 3rd and 3.5 ed with every expansion known to man and more. Lots of modules and supplements and whatnot. The potentially valuable stuff I will probably sell, but I'm going to give away the rest if anyone is interested. Let me know and I'll be happy to make a detailed inventory. If not, I'll take it to the library book sale or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Smoove_B

Re: Old RPGs

Post by Smoove_B »

I am missing some older stuff (particularly the supplements) in my collection so I'd love to see an inventory. I'm not opposed to paying for stuff either. I have an entire closet that is filled with all my role-playing stuff - a collection that's over 30 years old at this point, but I did miss out on a few things...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I just did some basement cleaning and located all my old paper RPG stuff too. I doubt I have anything that Smoove doesn't already have (except maybe some I.C.E. Rolemaster stuff). But I felt fairly nostalgic perusing my Fiend Folio. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My original D&D books are long gone. Fell apart from use. But I still have a crap ton of other games lying around in boxes. I really should just get rid of all of it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is any of solo play or for 2 players? Id be interested in the Traveller and Gamma World stuff....but only after others have had choice. Id only have myself and my wife to play with so if others are big into group play or something they should get first dibs since it would see more use.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I might be interested in some of the not-super-valuable stuff myself. I've also got a few holes in my collection.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:I just did some basement cleaning and located all my old paper RPG stuff too. I doubt I have anything that Smoove doesn't already have (except maybe some I.C.E. Rolemaster stuff). But I felt fairly nostalgic perusing my Fiend Folio. :)
I'm not sure you've seen the extent of my collection. It's rather cumbersome. Honestly, I think my favorite thing is the ~50 issues I own of Dungeon magazine. I started with #1 and stopped sometime in the mid 90s. The number of adventures that came each month was astounding...at least to a teenager. I am guessing electronic copies likely exist, but the printed page will always be my favorite.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I wish I could keep it all, but I don't have a basement and I am out of storage space. Since there is interest, I'll inventory it all and let you all know.

Thanks!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, I've got a ton of copies of Dungeon magazine as well, thought not as many or as complete. I was surprised at how many things I had for 2nd Edition as well.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I only have one issue of Dungeon, but I have issues of Dragon ranging from the mid 60s up into the low 200 range. I don't own anywhere near all of them in that range, but have enough to fill four magazine boxes.

A lot of my 1st and 2nd edition stuff is in poor shape, unfortunately. They were working copies, meaning that they survived backpacks and duffel bags, lived with me in the car for months on end, and were subjected to years and years worth of teenage fingers covered in remnants of unhealthy snacks.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Does your copy of Deities & Demigods have the Fahfard & the Grey Mouser that was removed? A friend's dad worked at TSR for a while so he had a closet full of original stuff that was like finding a treasure trove. He never played RPGs so it never came up until we rummaged through his room in high school looking for some records.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:Does your copy of Deities & Demigods have the Fahfard & the Grey Mouser that was removed? A friend's dad worked at TSR for a while so he had a closet full of original stuff that was like finding a treasure trove. He never played RPGs so it never came up until we rummaged through his room in high school looking for some records.
Pretty sure the Lankmahr stuff stayed in and it was the Melnibonè and Cthulhu stuff that was removed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my brother collects Gamma World rule books and modules (every edition) - i think he has almost all of it now, but i'll cross-check.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...would love to help take some off your hands but I had to get rid of most of my older stuff a few moves ago due to lack of space. I managed to get most of it in PDF. As for Dragon magazines I bought the electronic CD version that they released in the 90s so gave away most of the magazines (I found the rest online in less savory sites but I did buy them back when they were being sold)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote:My original D&D books are long gone. Fell apart from use. But I still have a crap ton of other games lying around in boxes. I really should just get rid of all of it.
My very old gaming stuff has seen a lot of love from a time when money was much tighter and gaming was more of a fashion than a fad. I still have all those original books but the spines on my 2nd ed AD&D are almost non existent and every game from the 70s or early 80s that came in a box will have seen it's contrarian all but destroyed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The majority of my RPG stuff looks like it's never been touched....because I'm a lunatic.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'd be super interested in the traveler stuff. Lemme know f you decide to sell it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im jelly of the Dragon mags. The only ones other than pc gaming and such I collected is STarlog. Have a bunch in mint condition in sleeves.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Im jelly of the Dragon mags. The only ones other than pc gaming and such I collected is STarlog. Have a bunch in mint condition in sleeves.
You're what?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jealous (abbr.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. I hadn't heard that one. I guess I'm not one of the hip kids.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As part of his time traveling, Daehawk is slowly morphing into a 13 year old.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont get my new time machine until yesterday.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Smoove_B wrote:As part of his time traveling, Daehawk is slowly morphing into a 13 year old.
Slowly? Perhaps you missed the scantily clad women he's posted in EBG over the years?

:lol:
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:The majority of my RPG stuff looks like it's never been touched....because I'm a lunatic.
Then how did you play Flight of Boodles? Or mayhap you never experienced the early 80s joy of saying "bombabastaboodle"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's before my time. My Dragon magazines started somewhere around '86 or '87. I did sell them all decades ago after picking up the Dragon Magazine collection on 6 (!) CDs -- the first 250 issues. I'm not even sure I possess a device that could access them anymore as my new computer doesn't even have a media drive. What a crazy mixed-up world we live in.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, that's before my time. My Dragon magazines started somewhere around '86 or '87. I did sell them all decades ago after picking up the Dragon Magazine collection on 6 (!) CDs -- the first 250 issues. I'm not even sure I possess a device that could access them anymore as my new computer doesn't even have a media drive. What a crazy mixed-up world we live in.
Man, I'd love to get a copy of those CDs if you ever decide to burn them to odd or whatever...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm sure someone could make arrangements to transfer any PDFs to a USB drive for you. *cough*
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
DD*

Post by DD* »

Zarathud wrote:I'm sure someone could make arrangements to transfer any PDFs to a USB drive for you. *cough*
Might have to make several copies to validate the transfer is good.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm..maybe I need to look into this. Or humbly suggest a look around the internet.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

when did Dragon magazine start reviewing computer games? i'd like to read the write-up of the original Might & Magic again. that was a few years ago...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure when "The Role of Computers" started, but check out #122 from June of '87.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've been cleaning out my gaming room, and am trying to come to grips with throwing out tons of old characters, campaign notes, etc. I came across these in my cleaning, thought I would share:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap! I've never seen the 1st (?) edition of those books - I own all the mid to late 1980s versions. The ICE/MERP system is actually one of the few RPGs I've played, but never ran as a GM/DM. That alone makes it special to me. Those weapon and critical hit tables back in the day were everything.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Holy crap! I've never seen the 1st (?) edition of those books - I own all the mid to late 1980s versions. The ICE/MERP system is actually one of the few RPGs I've played, but never ran as a GM/DM. That alone makes it special to me. Those weapon and critical hit tables back in the day were everything.
Yeah, that's all 1st edition. I picked up Arms Law and Spell Law before Rolemaster was even a thing. They were supplements for D&D when I first picked them up.

Now, when I look at the tables, I can't even read them. My eyes were much better when I was 18.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My God. I played in a campaign that basically ended up in my character falling into a chasm in Moria, making a save to avoid the worst of the fall damage but ending up surprising a Balrog. Our first combat, and I had a chance to run away...but was decapitated. MERP/ICE became synonymous with instant death by a bad dice roll, moreso than even Tomb of Horrors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had the 2nd edition of Rolemaster (and one of the editions of MERP.) I never ran MERP, but I did run a few Rolemaster games. I can't even imagine fiddling with something of that complexity these days.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We enjoyed the hell out of it back in the day - even the Spacemaster system. But yeah, I can't imagine running it (or anything really :( ) today.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The only two things that are that old that I'm planning on running sometime (probably as one- or two-offs) are Torg, to see how it has held up, and original D&D (I have a set of the original pamphlets), just to say I've played it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:We enjoyed the hell out of it back in the day - even the Spacemaster system. But yeah, I can't imagine running it (or anything really :( ) today.
I had a long running Rolemaster game (like 2-3 years) based on the world of Harn, and after that I ran Spacemaster for about 2 years. And agreed, no way in hell could I wrap my head around all of the tables and rolls today.