Is paying for a savegame a new mechanic?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Dave Allen

Is paying for a savegame a new mechanic?

Post by Dave Allen »

I was watching the trailer for Narborion and I noticed that "bookmarks" were purchased for gold.
I don't remember other RPGs that make saving a game an investment of resources.
A mechanic like that would add an additional layer of strategy - especially if the cost was dear enough.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
hepcat

Re: Is paying for a savegame a new mechanic?

Post by hepcat »

That sounds really awful. I can't help but hope it fails miserably if the intent was solely to monetize save games.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Dave Allen wrote: A mechanic like that would add an additional layer of strategy - especially if the cost was dear enough.
:?
I don't get this type of thought process in games. I often see people defending the lack of quick-save because it makes the game more atmospheric. No it doesn't. It wastes my time and makes me not care about the atmosphere of the game because I spend all my time hunting for the next save location.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't mind the mechanic as long as it is an optional mode...like Diablo's ironman mode.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dave Allen wrote:I was watching the trailer for Narborion and I noticed that "bookmarks" were purchased for gold.
I don't remember other RPGs that make saving a game an investment of resources.
A mechanic like that would add an additional layer of strategy - especially if the cost was dear enough.
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Ink_Ribbon
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:That sounds really awful. I can't help but hope it fails miserably if the intent was solely to monetize save games.
I don't think he is talking about real world money.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I read up on it last night. It's real money. Imagine Resident Evil's typewriter ribbons. Now remove 2/3 of them from the game. Next, sell them back to the players for real cash.

It's a good strategy if your goal is to ensure that I never touch your game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. I've not been a vocal opponent of DLC, but that's going too far for me.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think it is going too far for most everyone which is probably why it appears they removed it two years ago, according to the article I read this morning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We're writing these posts from 2014 though.

Hi future hepcat! Who's president in your time?
Covfefe!