GenCon 2017

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Punisher

Re: GenCon 2017

Post by Punisher »

Not sure late we would be able to stay up if we go, but it's a possibility.
An Artemis game would be nice. I've had it for years but haven't been able to play. PULSAR: Lost Colony is similar as well... and Bridge Crew as of today..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
LloydCortes

Post by LloydCortes »

[spam]
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Would live to play Captain Sonar again.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Count me out. That game gives me agita.
He won. Period.
ezmacncheese

Post by ezmacncheese »

Just got my tickets and managed to snag a room downtown. I have an extra bed in the room so I'm going to try to find someone to share and split costs.

It'll be my first GenCon and first con. I'm pretty pumped and I'll probably just get some generic tickets and then wander around and take it all in.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wow. Talk about diving in. It's going to be insane this year. Need to do an OO Meet-up!
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote:Wow. Talk about diving in. It's going to be insane this year. Need to do an OO Meet-up!
That's just what a wolf would say...
Zarathud

GenCon 2017

Post by Zarathud »

Bring it IRL. You'll see how I roll.

Make sure your organs are intact when you arrive, and bring plenty of ice.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Zarathud wrote:Bring it IRL. You'll see how I roll.

Make sure your organs are intact when you arrive, and bring plenty of ice.
I'll see if they let me bring over the surgery left overs for you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Four day badges just sold out. Anyone wanting to go on single day badges should order really, really soon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote:Four day badges just sold out. Anyone wanting to go on single day badges should order really, really soon.
That sucks. I'm out i guess.. going from $90 for 4 days to $225 for 3 days means no go for me.... Especially with 2 people....
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:(

This being the 50th anniversary has made it extremely popular.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Pretty disappointed, but My wife is gonna request time off for PAX Unplugged instead now... Hopefully she gets it approved before they sell out as well. A big benefit is that they are only about 2 hours away versus the 8+ of Gencon.. We'll still get a room nearby, but we will be saving some money and lot's of time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Maximum Apocalypse
Just played this yesterday with the creator and had an absolute blast. I think he said all the GenCon events are sold out. We were apparently helping him play test as he's still tweaking the scientist and ranger. The game really is a lot of fun - tons of theme, and a great pace.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, now I'm glad I booked it early.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like your wishes are coming true - Bat-Mite will be at GenCon...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was all excited until I read the article and realized you weren't talking about the real Bat-Mite. :snooty:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

But you can get one and carry him around like he's your lil' crime fighting buddy. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's what Zarathud's for...
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:That's what Zarathud's for...
I'd, personally, be impressed if you could "carry him around"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Like Snorlax. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Like Snorlax. :)
At least you're not as large as me. I used to take solace in the fact that at least I wasn't at large as chaosraven... until one day I came to the realization I was larger than him. Bastard.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:
He stays in a compressed form until you add water.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
He stays in a compressed form until you add water.
I stay in a compressed form until I feed me after midnight. Or is that 08:00? Aw shit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I'm tallying up what I want to buy at Gencon...and I better sell a kidney. :shock:
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

All in on Too Many Bones is over $200.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have a list. I've been putting back money for six months so that I'll have a little spending cash at GenCon, but since I rarely have the budget for games, I don't always keep up with what's out there. Now I find myself going into GenCon blind.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:All in on Too Many Bones is over $200.
I'm not sold on that one yet. I want to play a game of it.

I do want to pick up:

First Martians
the race packs for Star Trek Ascendancy (if they're out...GF9 has made a clusterf$#k of this franchise so far)
Doctor Who Time of the Daleks (and yet I'm buying into another GF9 franchise...go figure)
Anything new for Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Maybe Too Many Bones
Anything even remotely related to Hostage Negotiator

And probably a few other things I'm not aware of yet. :oops:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The vendors at GenCon - do they typically stock all their popular games, or is it only the latest and greatest? And are the prices better than what I'd get online?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Depends on the vendor.
Game companies will have their in-print games, and often limited stock of their newest big release. Any deals will be for those games that didn't get acceptance, or special to prime word of mouth. Unless a discount is stated, they're usually charging full price.
Online stores will have the hotness, overstock and rare items. hepcat has had good luck with Coolstuff and their overstock/ding-and-dent (often with only minor damage), and their prices are close to online.
Brick-and-mortar stores are a crapshoot. Some will be unloading excess stock, but others will be selling rarer items. You can usually tell their pricing model, but shop around. Prices can vary wildly, sometimes within the same booth.
Specialty vendors will have those items that you'd otherwise have to pay shipping or didn't know you wanted. The miniature vendors and RPG accessories often fall into this category for me, and this is the most dangerous for impulse buys.

Prices often fall on Sunday. Hot items may have premiums or be limited.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I've been saving for months to have money to buy a few things, but I don't have a ton. It seemed silly to spend it on games if I'd just be paying the same as I would on Amazon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There are deals. You just have to know what you're looking for and the prices.

Those ding-and-dents hepcat finds are often good deals. If your game tastes are out-of-phase with the mainstream, you can find deals. There are some old collectible card games that I wouldn't buy anywhere else but the overstock dealers at GenCon or Origins.

And some vendors just mis-price items. I picked up an out-of-print box of the Undead Army Dungeon Command miniatures at Origins for $35. Individually, the 12 pre-painted miniatures would be over $75 online, if you could find them. It was from a collectible miniatures vendor, but they never thought to recheck the price list on that box set.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The 25 dollar Francis Drake with all the expansions because of a small dent on one corner is still my best find.

The coolstuffinc (large) booth is a gold mine of cheap goodness.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If you're looking for RPG stuff, there is always a big selection from a single vendor of RPG books, supplements, etc that are like "Buy 2, get 3 free". Wish I remember the name of the vendor. Most of them are from obscure games, but your money can go a long way there.

And yeah, the CSI booth last year had a ton of great deals.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote:If you're looking for RPG stuff, there is always a big selection from a single vendor of RPG books, supplements, etc that are like "Buy 2, get 3 free". Wish I remember the name of the vendor. Most of them are from obscure games, but your money can go a long way there.

By the way, we looked for your copy of that RPG you wanted while we were at Origins. No go. :cry:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
hentzau wrote:If you're looking for RPG stuff, there is always a big selection from a single vendor of RPG books, supplements, etc that are like "Buy 2, get 3 free". Wish I remember the name of the vendor. Most of them are from obscure games, but your money can go a long way there.

By the way, we looked for your copy of that RPG you wanted while we were at Origins. No go. :cry:
Yeah, it's turning out to be pretty damn rare. I wish I would have picked it up when I saw it about 7 years ago.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I saw that a new Star Trek RPG, Star Trek Adventures is coming out in August. And apparently there will be a play session with it at GenCon. Interested in hearing some impressions if folks happen to see it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hentzau wrote:
hepcat wrote:

Yeah, it's turning out to be pretty damn rare. I wish I would have picked it up when I saw it about 7 years ago.
Just curious.. What RPG?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just curious.. Is anyone by any chance driving to gencon from near the NE of NJ and may have room?
I'm trying to see if I can get gencon to work at some level...