SoB Gluing Issues

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

SoB Gluing Issues

Post by baelthazar »

Hey guys. I hated to make a new thread for this, but I sort of remember people talking about it and I could not remember where.

I am trying to glue my finally received box of Shadows of Brimstone models - Scafford Gang, Hellfire Succubi, Derelict Ship, Be'lial, etc. - and it seems like my glue is taking a LOOONG time to stick. I used the exact same glue bottles about a month ago to put together my GW models and they would stick together fairly reliably within about 30 seconds (and cure pretty hard after a minute or so). I tried three types of glue - Gorilla Superglue, Loctite Gel, and GW plastic glue. They all eventually worked, but we are talking 5 or so minutes before and they were still pretty tacky.

It could be the glue is old (I opened it a few months ago, but it still flows well and was tightly closed. After encountering the issues, I ran the sprues in some soapy water and rinsed them off to dry (thinking that, perhaps, some of the anti-stick agent used to get them from the molds at the factory might still be on them and preventing the glue from setting).

Am I not using the right glue? I know they switch the type of plastic for some of the models, but I cannot remember the specifics (and, frankly, I can never remember what glue works on what materials). I do remember the models from the core boxes were a major PITA to put together, but that was more about the small pieces (although I faintly recall some issues with the glue).

Any thoughts? I am looking at a mound of plastic and I know most of you guys have already assembled yours.
Smoove_B

Re: SoB Gluing Issues

Post by Smoove_B »

I've switched to using Tamiya cement for my plastics (I was using LocTite gel) and the results are much better. I think it's functionally equivalent to Testors or whatever I remember using as a kid to put together model airplanes but it has a brush applicator and is liquid instead of gel. The biggest downside is the smell, but the bond is ridiculous.

That being said, some of the SoB figures are apparently resin and not plastic. I had thought the LocTite gel worked on the resin, but maybe you need to do a light scrubbing while cleaning them (not just a rinse)? I think Hentzau and maybe Hepcat have assembled the resin figures so maybe they know for sure?

EDIT: Yeah, there was just a thread about this over on BGG.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have SoB, although I've been accused of being one, so I can't comment on this specific issue, but some thoughts on gluing in general.

Don't use too much, and after you apply it, add just a tiny bit of saliva. It speeds up adhesion time of cyanoacrylates.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:I've switched to using Tamiya cement for my plastics (I was using LocTite gel) and the results are much better.
Just be aware that Tamiya cement will only work correctly on polystyrene plastics. Other plastics/rubber/vinyl will likely have issues, as it isn't a glue at all.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Thanks guys. I am not sure what is going on. I think that the release agent may be the culprit, which means I need to rewash all these figures and scrub with a toothbrush. That said, I am noticing that my superglue does have the strong *smell* that it did when I opened it a few months back. Is it possible the drying agent might have evaporated as the bottle sat after opening? I may pop down to Lowes and grab a fresh bottle to see if I have any more luck.

I am trying the ones on the sprues (which I believe are the plastic ones), so I do not know if the release stuff is a factor (I thought that was solely for resin figures).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've just been using Loctite. Then hurling the Trederran Raiders against the wall after gluing my goddamn fingers together once again because those damn sword arms require you to hold them to their tiny mounting points for approximately 17 hours.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I want to say I remember reading somewhere that Loctite (and any of the CA glues) are only good for about 30 days after you open them. Maybe I'm confusing the exact timing, but I seem to remember being surprised at how quickly it degrades after you open it - to the point where I made sure that I wasn't just gluing one thing at a time and instead trying to stack up projects so that I was using a whole bottle at once.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:I want to say I remember reading somewhere that Loctite (and any of the CA glues) are only good for about 30 days after you open them. Maybe I'm confusing the exact timing, but I seem to remember being surprised at how quickly it degrades after you open it - to the point where I made sure that I wasn't just gluing one thing at a time and instead trying to stack up projects so that I was using a whole bottle at once.
I am pretty sure this is my problem. The glue is not even sticking my skin together like it normally does and does not assail my nose as soon as I open the bottle. I am fairly certain the drying agent has evaporated.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...that I did not know. I guess I should invest in a new bottle next time I go on a gluing spree.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think this is why they started making those small ampules of crazy glue - single use servings. I've never seen a gel in single serve sizes though. I also never thought I'd need to know so much about glue as an adult (or that there was so much to know).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I used gorilla super glue on the character and ally figures, because they are a resin of some sort. All of the rest I just used Testor's Liquid Model Cement. It worked really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:I want to say I remember reading somewhere that Loctite (and any of the CA glues) are only good for about 30 days after you open them
Yep. A sealed tube is good for a year from manufacture, and starts to degrade about a month after opening. In practical use it is good for a fair while longer, but it tends to thicken and takes longer to adhere.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I got some new superglue (loctite) and it was working better but still seemed to take a bit more time than I thought it should. Fed up, I decided to try my Citadel Plastic Glue again and - lo and behold - it works amazing. This is odd, because I was not particularly impressed with the Citadel Plastic Glue when I was putting together my Games Workshop minis (and it is supposed to be formulated for those guys, being made by the same company). Either the plastic for the SoB minis is just the right type that it bonds very quickly when pushed together or I am better at using it. It does help that the SoB minis tend to be smooth and rounded, in comparison to GW minis where they decide to put spikes and sharp corners on all the places you need to squeeze together while gluing. I swear, a S&M enthusiast runs Games Workshop (so many spikes, chains, whips, etc.).

The super glue will hopefully work on the resin minis. But I am saving those for last.

Also, this plastic glue smells like it is made from something that kills brain cells.