Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure how I feel about this:
Media giant IGN announced today that it has acquired Humble Bundle, the company best known for selling packs of indie games at pay-what-you-want prices. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

However, a press release confirming the deal also noted that Humble will continue to operate independently in the wake of the acquisition, with no significant business or staffing changes. It will have some degree of support from IGN (which is itself owned by digital media giant J2 Global), specifically in terms of accelerating growth and raising more money for charity.

"If it's not broken, don't fix it," said Galbraith, who explained that IGN started looking to make a deal like this nearly a year ago. "The idea is just to feed them with the resources they need to keep doing what they're doing."

"We want to stick to the fundamentals in the short term. We don't want to disrupt anything we're doing right already," added Graham. "Because of the shared vision and overlap of our customer bases, there’s going to be a lot of opportunities."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Re: Humble Bundle acquired by IGN

Post by Lordnine »

That seems like a bad thing. I suspect minimum prices are going to see a rise in the near future. That said, it's actually been quite a while since a Bundle caught my eye anyways so I'm not sure how much I will affected.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Hmmm...
I have but one advocate.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw this since they were the first (?), and have remained the best. Always seemed to have indie cred (whatever that actually means). But the reality is that they lost their shine some time ago. At this point they're just a really good bundle site. I buy probably 70% of their bundles, even if it's only at the lowest tier. Of course, I'm never going to use 95% of the stuff. Their store's not bad, but they rarely have a price advantage like GMG or interesting perks like GOG.

Wish I'd had the inspiration/motivation/resources to develop their idea... I'm sure they've both lined their pockets and done real good with the charity aspect.

Was IGN the original owner of Direct2Drive? I can't even recall now.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg