I never finish stealth games

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Pyperkub

I never finish stealth games

Post by Pyperkub »

I enjoy stealth games, but I've realized that I pretty much never finish them.

Thief - started, never finished, got stuck in the jail level w/o water arrows
Thief 2 - never started, see above
Thi4f - got kind of lost/tired of the open world traversals
AC 1 - got through 7 or so of the assassinations, and then got tired of fighting off mobs/running away from mobs on the later missions
Deus Ex - finished the first level, got a bit stuck in the second level and never went back
Dishonored - got a fair way into this, and then stepped away and never went back
NOLF - got stuck in a shootout with no stealth options that I could see.

Edit to add:

The Evil Within - really enjoyed the atmosphere, got to a tough section and stopped
Condemned - got a good chunk through and never finished
Batman: Arkham City - got partway in and kind of distracted in the open world doing the challenges/riddler, and it started feeling pointless
Bioshock - stuck somewhere in the depths

Finished:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

anyone else have this problem?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Bad Demographic

Re: I never finish stealth games

Post by Bad Demographic »

You can't like everything.
You need a lot of patience for stealth games, at least with the first Thief games. You have to be willing to sit and stare at the screen, waiting, to succeed at them.
Stealth in Deus Ex was not much like in Thief. I found that if you sniped somebody with a quiet weapon the enemy immediately knew where you were - even if it were dark and you were behind cover.
If your style is action, stealth games will probably bore you.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bad Demographic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm You can't like everything.
You need a lot of patience for stealth games, at least with the first Thief games. You have to be willing to sit and stare at the screen, waiting, to succeed at them.
Stealth in Deus Ex was not much like in Thief. I found that if you sniped somebody with a quiet weapon the enemy immediately knew where you were - even if it were dark and you were behind cover.
If your style is action, stealth games will probably bore you.
Funny thing is that I've never considered my style action (probably more strategy games). I think it's more that I get stuck and then just move on to something else - I like them a lot, but I hate getting stuck.

Example - in the First Thief game, I got stuck in the Prison level - I'd used up all my water arrows on the zombies getting there through the catacombs, and there was this long hallway with a watch area above it which I couldn't sneak past w/o water arrow to knock out the light as I recall.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will sit in a shrub for a half hour just so I can kill one guy without making a sound. In the old Joint Ops games I’d plunk down on a hill with a sniper rifle for hours. I love me some stealth games. Especially when the game gives me a choice as to what I can do to get me where I need to be.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should try PUBG.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does it have shrubs?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm Does it have shrubs?
It does and you are next to invisible inside one of the large ones. You wouldn't be there for hours though. A game doesn't generally last more than 30-ish minutes and you would have to be supremely lucky to be able to stay in one place for more than a few minutes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

In Thief I knocked out (and carried away) lots of guards. In Thief 2 I managed to get through an entire game without knocking out anybody - it was pretty hard, but very satisfying.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm Does it have shrubs?
It does and you are next to invisible inside one of the large ones. You wouldn't be there for hours though. A game doesn't generally last more than 30-ish minutes and you would have to be supremely lucky to be able to stay in one place for more than a few minutes.
But it offers near limitless ways to get where you want to be.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You're not alone, though different games implement stealthy elements...differently. I usually get frustrated with omnipotent AI but I tolerate it when they're stupid. The difference between seeing me hidden through boxes or bushes vs not caring or noticing when I'm slowly picking off their buddies.

I'm with you on the Thief games; I've never finished a single one - mainly because of annoying stealth rules. Assassin's Creed is quite enjoyable and I've played them through the third one. There were challenging elements, but never something that stopped me from finishing. I finished Dishonored, but didn't really think very highly of it overall. Other than one level, I don't recall stealth being critical - and it was the best level of the entire game. You're on your own with the Batman games. I've played every one and enjoyed them fully and completely. Not once in the thousand+ times I did stealth takedowns in all those games did it ever get old.

You haven't mentioned the Sniper Elite games, and though I can't yet comment on #4, the second and third games were tremendous. Stealth at a distance while I reach out and touch someone. So much fun.

So yeah, it depends on the game. I can't think of anything other than the Thief games that I've walked away from. Maybe the Hitman games? I don't know...something about them just never grabbed me...but I don't think it was stealth related.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm the same way. I start stealthy but end up just powering my way through most things. Did that with Dishonored.

Hopefully the new Seven game has non-stealth options because it looks amazing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I love stealth games, enough so that I often play games where stealth is optional or unintended as stealth games. I've finished the first two Thief games multiple times, Deus Ex (all but the most recent), the first few Hitman games, most of the Splinter Cells, NOLFs, Riddick, most of the Arkham games, Hidden & Dangerous 1 and 2, most of my runs through Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles, and any number of others. I really need to try Sniper Elite 2 (I loved 3) and Dishonored, plus get back to the new Thief.

Where I have a problem is open world games. I tend to be too thorough, and turn 40 hour games into 140 hour games. This usually results in power creep as I get so powerful that nothing is a challenge anymore, and I get burned out long, long before I get anywhere near the end, then feel like I'm leaving something unfinished if I don't get back to it. I've got vast numbers of hours into many playthroughs of Oblivion and Skyrim, for instance, but have only actually finished each one time. Various Fables, Red Dead Redemption, various inFamous titles, Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, The Division, Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Bully, I've left them all in my wake, unfinished.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm really bad at stealth games. I'll usually give it the ol' college try a couple of times, then load up with the loudest, most explosive weapons I can find and kill everyone when that inevitably fails. Then the game characters yell at me for "killing people" or whatever. Bite me, jackasses.

I did get pretty good at stealth in Deus Ex, mostly because I played it through about five times. So, by the last couple of play throughs, I knew where all the secret routes were, all the bad guy patrol routes and all the terminals were to turn off security cameras/turn on mass murder mode for the robots. So, I guess it was "stealthy" in the sense that nobody saw me. If there was a hard-boiled detective following me, he'd have been easily able to find me by the trail of blood, guts and bodies stuffed into closets.

I'm actually playing through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided stealthy right now, and it's got enough UI info that I can actually do it. Of course, I still have an arsenal of assault rifles and shotguns strapped to my back in case things go pear shaped.

Worst is when games that have no actual stealth mechanics include some stupid-ass stealth level. I'm looking at you Call of Duty.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I absolutely enjoy stealth elements in games. And stealth/exploration games are probably my favorites. I especially enjoy the ones where you can move and hide the bodies or booby trap stuff. FWIW, Sniper Elite 4 is fantastic! It great in single player, but I also like that you can play it co-op and take turns sniping. If your buddy gets discovered and they get too close in hunting him, you can always shoot a truck and draw their attention to your side. It also has modes where one person plays the sniper and the other plays the spotter on a split map. You have different weapons and capabilities. Its very fun!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"