PAX South 2018

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Buatha

PAX South 2018

Post by Buatha »

This was my first gaming (board/computer) expo and it was awesome! My favorite part had to be the Gaming Library where they had just about every top board game to be checked out with your Day Pass. It was nice to go there after walking the floor for some good times with my buds.

So, as a family man with two kids (and, without local gamers), I've had to alter my gaming choices a bit. In other words, games that aren't "fiddly" and can be understood fairly quickly. I purchased 3 games and I believe I was successful with my audience.

First up, is Illimat. This is a simple 4-player game that is easy to understand and offers up a simple theme around the seasons. After a demo session, I realized it would go well for the wife and kids.

Second, is the awesome Master of Wills, from a company based here in my local area of Sugar Land, Texas. I love the simplicity, artwork, and thematic cyberpunk elements. The creators are very communicative and offered me to come by their local office for some play testing.

Finally, there is Drawing Dead. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a hold of a copy since he sold out on Day One of PAX at 1PM! It's on the way, but is an interesting version of poker with some screw-your-player options.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Redfive

Re: PAX South 2018

Post by Redfive »

I'm sorry I didn't know you were going--I was there with my daughter, her friend, and her friend's dad on Saturday.

We did the expo, the True Dungeon demo (kind of meh), we watched the Acquisitions Inc. session and then finished at the board game free play checking out games...could have sat right next to you!
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Ha! I don’t really know my local OOers in real life, but I’m definitely going again next year. It was a total blast!

We arrived Thursday night and hit it early on the first day. So, we had time to take it all in.

Buatha

I will send out the call next year to see who might be going.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I couldn’t swing it this year but I’m hoping to go next year! I had so much fun at the Boston ones the first few years they were there.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

If everyone else is going, I might try to go and drag Arcanis along with me. Especially since he has family there.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*