gloomhaven questions (no spoilers please)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: gloomhaven questions (no spoilers please)

Post by hepcat »

Use Gloomy Companion and save yourself a ton of space. I just bring it up on my ipad, set it up at the head of the table, and away we go.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Neat. Too bad the homeowner doesn't have broad band and I'm too cheap to get a smart phone.

We're all both techs and philistines.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
You could technically play multiple parties within one campaign. But achievements are ONLY gained by one of them, so it's kind of dumb.
Now we're on the same page for the moment. I was trying to understand the kina dumb part.
Just to chime in here; I'll be running this with multiple parties in campaign mode. Multiple scenarios unlock pretty quickly allowing different parties to wander off onto different paths through the campaign. We won't be repeating scenarios, instead a party will choose from among the available scenarios which they have the party achievements to qualify for. Global achievements apply to all parties and ability upgrades, as the rules say, apply to all instances of that class.

This will allow me to play with my game group on weekends and solo/with my family for game nights at home.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Has anyone tried taking the rules quiz? The questions are deliberately tricky but serve to drive home an understanding of the monster AI order of operations. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2345 ... rules-quiz
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gryndyl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
You could technically play multiple parties within one campaign. But achievements are ONLY gained by one of them, so it's kind of dumb.
Now we're on the same page for the moment. I was trying to understand the kina dumb part.
Just to chime in here; I'll be running this with multiple parties in campaign mode. Multiple scenarios unlock pretty quickly allowing different parties to wander off onto different paths through the campaign. We won't be repeating scenarios, instead a party will choose from among the available scenarios which they have the party achievements to qualify for. Global achievements apply to all parties and ability upgrades, as the rules say, apply to all instances of that class.

This will allow me to play with my game group on weekends and solo/with my family for game nights at home.
You’re going to end up locking yourself out of quite a few things...or even get very far in the game. Although I guess you could just ignore that rule altogether and say party achievements are shared. Still, seems like too much work to me. Why don’t you just play one party and drop in characters as needed? As mentioned before, you get six you can play with right off the bat.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I suppose I need to re-read the movement rules because I got the one with obstacles wrong, right at the beginning and I don't think I'm wrong. :oops: I would have been nice in their explanation if they actually quoted the ruling rather than just explaining it, so I can digest being wrong rather than simply being told to trust their explanation. :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm sure I'll get at least one wrong myself...and I've easily put in more than 60 hours with this game. That's not damning the game though. The more fiddly rules, if messed up, do not fundamentally change the game.
Covfefe!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am I suppose I need to re-read the movement rules because I got the one with obstacles wrong, right at the beginning and I don't think I'm wrong. :oops: I would have been nice in their explanation if they actually quoted the ruling rather than just explaining it, so I can digest being wrong rather than simply being told to trust their explanation. :oops:
I'm guessing Q3, the first one with an obstacle? I agree that citing the actual rules would have been nice. My understanding of 3 is that it's mainly meant as a question on determining monster focus. In this case:
A monster will focus on the enemy figure it can perform its current attack against using the least
amount of movement. It finds the shortest possible path to get in range and line-of-sight to use its
attack, and the figure that can be attacked at the end of that path is the focus. P. 29
In the case of Q3, both characters would require the monster to move 2 to attack, resulting in a tie for focus.
In the case where the monster can move the same number of spaces to get within range (and line-of-sight) of
multiple enemy ifgures (e.g., because it starts its turn within range of multiple enemies), proximity from
the monster’s current position (i.e. number of hexes they are away, not counting through walls) is then
checked as a tie-breaker for determining “closest.”
P. 29

The "as the crow flies" rule. Character 2 is only 2 hexes away whereas character 1 is 3 hexes. Therefore character 2 is the monster's focus.
If the rules ever make any monster action ambiguous because there are multiple viable hexes to which the
monster could move, multiple equally viable targets to heal or attack, or multiple hexes a monster could push
or pull a character into, the players must decide which option the monster will take. P. 32

The monster has two equal, valid routes to attack character 2 so it falls to the players to decide which route it uses.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nice guess and nice explanation. Your posting of the actual as the crow flies rule as it is worded and applies clears up why I was wrong.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm Nice guess and nice explanation. Your posting of the actual as the crow flies rule as it is worded and applies clears up why I was wrong.
I spent all of yesterday getting them wrong and looking up exactly why :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

After really digesting 2 and 3, I was right up to 15. I won't have time to think about the rest now. Your explanation plus the quiz has been very helpful.

1) Choose Target of focus.
1.1) Prefer as the crow flies
1.2) Prefer initiative.
2) Choose optimal closer (further) spot from which to attack that target that you can get to with your existing move.
2.1) Choose optimal spot to attach without disadvantage
2.2) Choose optimal spot that can hit most enemies
2.2.1) Prefer as the crow flies
2.2.2) Prefer initiative
2.3) Choose optimal spot that doesn't run you through a trap

... There may be more, as I only got 15 and there appear to be a lot more quiz.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gloomhaven retail version just showed up as a birthday gift from my sister. :o
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:49 pm Gloomhaven retail version just showed up as a birthday gift from my sister. :o
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:49 pm Gloomhaven retail version just showed up as a birthday gift from my sister. :o
Lift with you legs!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

21.9 lbs of boardgame!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That’s a good sister.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She saw it was the #1 BGG game and ordered it. She had no idea it was that large.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now you need a steady group to play it with!

If you decide to play solo, don't forget to increase the difficulty level by 1 to compensate for the open information you'll have between characters.
Covfefe!