Failbetter Games (Fallen London/Sunless Seas )

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Drazzil

Failbetter Games (Fallen London/Sunless Seas )

Post by Drazzil »

So I've played Fallen London, quite extensively and then later Sunless Seas on the IPad. Having played both games now, I can conclusively say that FBG is great at writing engrossing lore, and background. They however hide this great storytelling behind games that are in some ways infuriuating to play.

On Fallen London I had a five month old character lose 10% of his earthly goods and 3 levels of every stat. I estimate about two active playing weeks worth of progress on two unlucky card draws played with 0 chances taken.

On Sunless Sea my first captain was lost at sea by Mt. Palmerson and I hadn't the heart to boot again.

Fallen London is a *terrible* grind to see a shrinking pool of original writing, in a game that offers *only* writing. Yuck. How the hell did I get sucked into that? I thought I was too smart to get sucked into an abusive internet app.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Re: Failbetter Games (Fallen London/Sunless Seas )

Post by Drazzil »

I think Failbetter takes great lore and wraps it in a shell of a terrible game...

Like taking a dove bar and putting shitty imitation chocolate shell on it. It ruins the final product.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Roguelikes gonna Rogue.

With these, at least, you get poetry.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dfs

Post by dfs »

I played sunless sea extensively, 500 hours or so. I had a lineage clamber up the learning/punishment to newbie curve and found the sweet spot for starting captains. I finished several of the captains "winning conditions" and decided to take on eternal life one of long games. I have a save game that I suspect is 90% of the way through that quest. The problem is that I took a break from the game when real life got to be intrusive on my gaming and now I don't remember everything. I'm afraid that if I pick it back up I'll make some silly mistake and destroy the whole save.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm Roguelikes gonna Rogue.

With these, at least, you get poetry.
:lol:
situspoker

situs poker

Post by situspoker »

Goodbye spammer
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Why did he have to bump *my* thread.