My mousepad is 13 years old this year.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Daehawk

My mousepad is 13 years old this year.

Post by Daehawk »

I got on a old time binge and started looking at old pictures from years ago and I came across a pic of me wearing a GoGamer tshirt. So that got me looking for them and remembering Amazon bought them out and killed them. I couldn't find when that was and I couldn't find any info on the old original GoGamer . Amazon kept the name alive so its all new junk info.

Anyways I did come across me posting here on OO about winning a GoGamer contest!

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 15&t=15210

its July 20 2005! I realized reading it that its the same mousemat I still use today. Its a big piece of cold steel. The little rubber feet came off and got tossed every so often so none are left. Its a Razer eXactMat X. One side is a little rough and called 'control' and the other is slick and called 'speed'. Its also no longer nice and flat from me using it and punching it or slamming my fist down on it over the decade plus.

but its SO nice seeing that post and knowing how long Ive used this mousemat. Got it 3 years after my dad died and 1 year before my fatherNlaw passed. memories tied up in it.

AZIO sent me a big nice new soft cloth type mousemat the other month but I just cant use anything but my old steel one from 2005. Nothing compares. I even looked them up online years ago. Not made now...some still for sale out there and a new one a lot like it too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Re: My mousepad is 13 years old this year.

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mine reads, “Baldur’s Gate 2”. Some obscure indie title, I think.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Coincidentally, after years of using whatever was nearby, I just ordered this from Amazon last night.

SteelSeries Qck mousepad
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

One of my mousepads is 18 years old. I got it as a thank-you gift from a girl in my Java programming class in college, for helping her with her project. It's still the most comfortable mousepad I've ever used, so I have bought 2 more since then (I used 2 at home and 1 at work): Fellowes Gel Wrist Rest Mousepad
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't think I've used a mousepad in 13 years. When did optical mice become common?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Mine says Max Payne (the original) on it, although it's hard to tell as it is pretty faded at this point. So I guess that makes mine 17 years old.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still have (though admittedly don't use) the mousepad from my Amiga...so I guess that's something. I have been using a weighted Allsop mouse pad (or mat?) for at least 15 years now. Thin, but the weight keeps it from sliding around. Works great with optical mice.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 pm Mine says Max Payne (the original) on it, although it's hard to tell as it is pretty faded at this point. So I guess that makes mine 17 years old.
I remember having that one! I think I pitched it after a couple of years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm I don't think I've used a mousepad in 13 years. When did optical mice become common?
I did that for a while. After three or four years, though, it wore the finish off of my desk, leaving the top rough and ugly.

I've still got the first mousepad I ever had from 1998. It's the thick gray one with the water drop pattern that was so popular back then. I've also got my Command & Conquer: Renegade mousepad. It's never had a mouse on it, but I got it at the Renegade launch party in early 2002 (February - so 16 years ago!) I met both Zaxxon and Rich LaPorte there, and keep the pad for sentimental reasons.

I used a hard one from Razer for years - the Destructor, I believe. After my hassles with Razer, I honestly just wanted it gone (and I always found the hard edges uncomfortable), so I picked up this one from Corsair. It's probably the best I've ever used.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used cloth mousepads from 1994 until this one in 2005. Thats 'if' I started using it right away. The last cloth one I had was one my wife had made for me at one of those mall kiosk that take a photo and put them on things. They combined two photos of us and our little dogs into one and printed it on the pad. But just like my Star Trek pad after a few years it began to fade. Thats why I switched it for this metal pad. Never went to anything else. Im thinking I could never go back to soft cloth mouse pads but I said that about corded mice and it was pretty easy.

For the last 2 or 3 years Ive put a heating pad under this pad in the winter so my hand doesn't hurt from how cold the thing gets.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

A few years ago my work was getting rid of some old Sun Microsystems Sparc workstations. I asked them if there were any of the old metal grid-lined mousepads left but they had already thrown them away (unlikely) or been taken home.
There is no hug button. Sad!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Lordnine wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 pm Mine says Max Payne (the original) on it, although it's hard to tell as it is pretty faded at this point. So I guess that makes mine 17 years old.
I remember having that one! I think I pitched it after a couple of years.
Mine is still around here somewhere... and very faded as well.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember those. Came in the boxes for Max Payne but I never had one. I dont think. Maybe I did but never used it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am Mine reads, “Baldur’s Gate 2”. Some obscure indie title, I think.
Same. :lol: Though I hacked off the bottom of it (right through the center of the Shadows of Amn text) so it'd fit on my pull-out keyboard shelf.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

In 2010 I posted here that I had had my Timberland leather mouse pad for about a decade. Eight years later this thing is probably old enough to vote.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I guess my Wowpad is at least 10 years old. Still a pre-teen.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:29 am Coincidentally, after years of using whatever was nearby, I just ordered this from Amazon last night.

SteelSeries Qck mousepad
I have one of those, my mouse had a slight rough edge on bottom and it would snag on the cloth. I went back to my Wowpad.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am Mine reads, “Baldur’s Gate 2”. Some obscure indie title, I think.
Same. :lol: Though I hacked off the bottom of it (right through the center of the Shadows of Amn text) so it'd fit on my pull-out keyboard shelf.
It has apparently reached EOL, as it appears to be affecting my MX Master 3's ability to properly read movements.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

There can be only one, highlander.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those who like the cloth/neoprene mousepads, I can comfortably recommend SteelSeries QcK line. They're not an expensive product, but I found that they work really well (good tracking, smooth enough not to pull excessively at the mouse feet, don't wear out too fast.) I used one of their XXL (which is about a foot and a half by three feet - full desk sized) for years, and it was only $30. Their normal-sized pad is under ten bucks.

Right now I'm using a Corsair (also desk sized), but that's just because I decided I was ready for a change from plain black (FWIW, they're comparable in quality, but don't seem to last quite as long - still, we're talking abut X years vs X+1 years on a low-priced item here.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote:There can be only one, highlander.
How’s it doing in its wheelchair, after you cut it off at the knees?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:23 pm
The Meal wrote:There can be only one, highlander.
How’s it doing in its wheelchair, after you cut it off at the knees?
No issues with my cabled Redragon Perdition3 M901-2 ($35) mouse.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:29 am Coincidentally, after years of using whatever was nearby, I just ordered this from Amazon last night.

SteelSeries Qck mousepad
I have one of those, my mouse had a slight rough edge on bottom and it would snag on the cloth. I went back to my Wowpad.
I'm on my second one. The mousepad is not stitched on its edges and eventually wear and tear make it curl up and delaminate a bit. I still think it's great and that's why I bought another, but it could be better. They are cheapish, so that makes it good enough.

edit: What BH said.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:58 am
Lassr wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am

SteelSeries Qck mousepad
I'm on my second one. The mousepad is not stitched on its edges and eventually wear and tear make it curl up and delaminate a bit. I still think it's great and that's why I bought another, but it could be better. They are cheapish, so that makes it good enough.

edit: What BH said.
That was actually my second reason for grabbing the Corsair this time - it's stitched. Their normal sized one for people who don't want their entire desk to be a mousepad.

I only use the full-desk style because I switched to a very low-sensitivity approach to mouse settings four or five years ago (in games, I set my the sensitivity to turn me 360 degrees when the mouse is moved 22cm - I have a piece of balsa that's 22cm, so I just put the mouse at one end, line up on something in game, move it to the other end, and then adjust the in-game sensitivity until it's right.) Since it's such a low speed, it's much more accurate in shooters, as you don't have to be as precise with your hand to be precise with the mouse. It does, however, take a lot more room to move the mouse around. Switching to a keyboard with no numpad means I don't hit the keyboard, and switching to the desk-sized mousepad means that I don't run out of space.

And, to be honest, it's kind of nice - it also acts as a pad for my keyboard (it gives better purchase for the feet than the desk itself), and it dampens the vibrations from the small fan I have behind my keyboard.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I use the Corsair as well. Mine is not a full desk size, but when I got mine there were two available sizes, one regular square size, and one large rectangular size, and I chose the larger one. It's nice to have the stitching and nonslip surface underneath.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mine has "Taft in 08!" written on it. I got it at a rally.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Turns out that removing dog hair from the sensor well improves the movement recognition.