Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Finally managed to get X-Files Legendary to my solo table last night - it's been a long time coming. Part of the issue was an Amazon vendor screwing up my penny sleeve order as I don't feel comfortable playing anything in this series without card protection (card quality is cheap). I also opted to get the Broken Token "Legendary" card storage system, which I'd also recommend. The included insert is really flimsy and borderline useless. Probably the best thing going for the game components is that they do include the neoprene mat. I haven't played a Legendary-style Upper Deck game since the original Marvel - which I liked, but sold off because no one would play with me. Had I known I'd eventually warm up to the idea of solo play, maybe I would have held onto it. Regardless, I have zero experience with the Encounters addition (added with Aliens?) so this had a bit of a learning curve.

Enlarge Image

That's about 5 rounds in, just before my informant (protecting me from the X-File in the Shadows) is about to hit The Field.

I'm an unrepentant fan of the show. I've watched every episode from the beginning of the series and followed it through right to the end, so I'm pretty sure I'm biased in how much I liked playing - because it's non-stop fan service from the get go. If they went with questionable art (no thanks, Firefly) instead of stills from the episodes I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much.

Setup is rather protracted and I'm guessing when I finish cleanup will be a bit tedious (in sorting), but at least I have a solid storage system to slap it all into. I'm still trying to get a firm handle on the mechanics, but there isn't much of a change (from the manual additions) when you're playing true solo (like I am) as opposed to a multi-hand solo play (which I know is a thing). Mainly it's just clarifying some of the card language and verifying how it would apply when you're the only player and/or there's only one character.

I don't know how non-fans of the show would enjoy the game, but for me it's a winner - especially as a solo game.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 pm

I've played four solo sessions of ARKHAM HORROR 3RD Edition now and lost every one of them. I've played a 1-character game, two 2-character games, and a 3-character game and got my ass kicked in every one of them. The first scenario is TOUGH. However, I'm having a blast. I was really on the fence about picking this one up since I own 2nd edition, but 2nd edition has been collecting dust in my closet for years due to the setup/play time. 3rd Edition is just a remarkably streamlined game that combines all the fun of AH, AH: the LCG, and Eldritch Horror into one and I'm loving it despite the losses.

I also got in another session of NEMO'S WAR. This is another game I've yet to win, but as a pure solo experience I think it deserves every bit of the praise heaped upon it. It's one of the few games I own that I know going in I won't come close to beating but don't care. I actually came within 25 points this time, so I am improving. It's rare that you see a game with such relatively simple rules have so many strategic layers. Every turn feels like its own game.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Damn, need to make time for both of those. :(
-mf

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Saw this recently and it's pretty much spot-on for board games (or video games):
"We love to buy books because we think we're buying the time to read them.” – Schopenauer

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pm

I managed to get not one but two games of Nemo's War in. I thought I was doing well in my first game when I was an "explorer" but the damn surface dwellers wouldn't leave me alone in my quest to study the oceans and their filthy steam ships were polluting the sea. Scored just under 200 points which translated into a failure and my effect upon the world was rather inconsequential. But Nemo will not be ignored so in my next play I declared war on the navies of the world. I thought I was done for it because most of the cards in the first act were either an automatic failure or I just failed the roll. But at that point I was not to be denied my vengeance upon the Imperialists and Capitalists who were fouling the ocean and oppressing the downtrodden. And thanks to obtaining the magnetic mine card and the torpedo upgrade along with drawing one of the best treasure cards in the game for some nice treasure points I went to war with the nations of the surface, playing like a madman on the Nautilus's organ as I sank ship after ship. My notoriety kept increasing but while some may be daunted by that, I relished the attention as I sent capital ship after capital ship to the bottom of the sea. Yes, my faithful engineer was the only one to survive but the sacrifice of Ned and the others made my triumph possible, bringing the Age of Nemo to fruition!

Now filled with hubris I'm playing Dawn of the Zeds (2nd edition). Something tells me the struggle for the survival of Farmingdale will be a little more challenging... :violence-guntoting:
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 pm

A wonderful example of the beauty and cruelty of Dawn of the Zeds is when you think you are going to lose it all you get some good cards which put more heroes on the board along with some kick ass dice rolls. At that point you think that you may be able to pull out the win...then you draw two consecutive Brains cards and that's all she wrote as a Zed mob munches its way through the civilians and heroes in its path and into the center of town where an all you can eat human buffet awaits.
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?