OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

dbt1949

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by dbt1949 »

You all are computer players. What is the attraction you have to solo boardgaming?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I play board games for the same reason I play video games. Because I enjoy it.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:47 pm You all are computer players. What is the attraction you have to solo boardgaming?
I get the same stuff I get from computer games, like strong theming (fantasy, sci-fi, historical periods, etc), puzzle solving, overcoming challenges, thinking about strategy, being the hero, being the villain, and so forth. And it is a nice change to swap from the keyboard to actual physical objects from time to time.

Oh, and the pause function is always available.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:47 pm You all are computer players. What is the attraction you have to solo boardgaming?
I like the collection element. I also really like reading rule books and holding components in my hands. Back in the day of physical PC gaming, there was always a manual to flip through and eventually extras to peruse. When gaming when completely digital I think a bit of the fun was lost (for me) as I really enjoyed flipping through gigantic manuals (like the ones that came with Baldur's Gate)

Solo board gaming is also something I can just set up and play when the mood strikes. I just feels like I'm using a different part of my brain when I'm solo board gaming vs playing a PC or console game. Doing one or the other exclusively doesn't scratch the same itch. There's some overlap, but it's not complete.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I can't get my son off the computer.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

As endlessly entertaining as digital gaming doubtless can be, the tactile experience modern tabletop games offer is compelling in a different way. There's just something about holding a hand of cards, stacking chips, or rolling dice that feels really, really good. And as Smoove points out, collecting boardgames scratches a similar itch for me as the good old days of PC gaming (back when reading the manual for a game was all part of the experience, and helped further immerse you into the game). More importantly, the gameplay mechanics of modern tabletop games have evolved leaps and bounds ahead of the likes of old fashioned games like Risk or Monopoly.

For example, Nemo's War, a game that was designed from the get-go with solo gameplay in mind and one of my favourites, offers a thoroughly unique experience. There's really nothing else like it at all, in digital or boardgame form.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Tao

Post by Tao »

Wound up getting Sword and Sorcery: Immortal Souls base set. I will most likely pick up the new Pathfinder ACG Core set at some point because I really do enjoy the game, but ultimately it's just a variation/rework of the original, for the same price Sword and Sorcery was something completely new.

I wanted to purchase it at my local game shop, first so I could get it right away and second to help support the community, even if it cost a few dollars more but they did not have a copy in stock and could not say when they might. Came pretty close to getting Pathfinder since my need for immediate gratification was high, but I resisted and ordered S&S from Amazon. Paid $60 bucks, free shipping and ordered at like 3:00 AM Saturday morning and it arrived at my door about an hour ago, so glad I held out. Looking forward to opening it up this evening.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can add more characters pretty inexpensively for Sword and Sorcery. I think miniature market has them for around 10 bucks or so. I really need to go back and finish the campaign I started a while back. It’s such a great dungeon crawler.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The kids and I played D&D over the summer. We didn't finish the campaign, but we had a lot of fun. I picked up the extras (metal coins, door and chest set, crit bags) at Gencon in 2018, and have a good chunk of the stuff we needed (including all of the doors and chests) painted, which added to it.

One tip: Get the mobile app for keeping track of progress and character cards. It works really well.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've decided to join your guild. I just ordered Target for Today, Bombers of the Reich which looks to be a remake of Avalon Hill's B-17.
Damn but these games are expensive.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I picked that up right before my move. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions!

Also, war games (for whatever reason) are always expensive and in my opinion, generally of lower quality than then contemporary counterparts. It feels like so much of the war gaming community is stuck and they're doubling-down on it because that's the way they've always done it and if all these new comers don't like it, too bad. It really wouldn't kill them to up the quality of the rules, cards and chits just a little bit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anything with more than a half dozen miniatures, or wargames will always cost a premium. The former because...MINIATURES! The latter because they don't sell enough to stay afloat if they did so at lower prices. That niche has always been smaller than the other board game groups.

That being said, GMT (one of the grandfather's of wargaming) usually has great pricing on games if you order them when they're in the "P500" phase, which simply means they're trying to get enough orders to justify doing a print run. Normally you can save between 20 and 30 percent off doing that.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's also Storm Above the Reich that's going for reprint, or Skies Above the Reich.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had thought about B-17 Flying Fortress Leader and Paths of Glory Deluxe Edition before going with the the one I chose.
I just remembered how much I liked AH B-17.
It looks like the might have a B-29 version if I like this enough.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the way, be prepared for the inevitable need for erratas on first (and sometimes second) printings of games. Wargames are usually complex rule sets, and unlike video games you can't just download a patch when the developer releases it and go about your merry way. So you'll want to check BGG and the maker's web sites to keep abreast of any updates to the rules that you might need.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember that from the olde days. We played Squad Leadera lot and that was under constant change until the Advanced Squad Leadercame out.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good call. Everything you'd need is here. There was a 1.1 revised pilot manual released but I don't think it was anything major.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:06 pm For example, Nemo's War, a game that was designed from the get-go with solo gameplay in mind and one of my favourites, offers a thoroughly unique experience. There's really nothing else like it at all, in digital or boardgame form.
Excellent suggestion AND it's on sale right now on Coolstuff for 50 bucks. It's a steal at that price.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm having a really hard time getting into it. For me, theme is everything and I'm just...struggling with Nemo's War.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's one I've never had trouble seeing the theme in, personally. I always feel like Captain Nemo trying to keep my Nautilus running and my crew alive while I'm playing. The named ships, the mission cards, the crew powers...they all come together for me to make every game a memorable experience. It's risk management with a bunch of push your luck mechanics, so I could see where that might be off putting to some though.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's more of the steam-punk/Jules Verne/submarine theme/nautical theme in general. It's there, I'm just struggling with it. I'd hoped the game's mechanics would get me more interested, but it's just not grabbing me. I actually feel bad given how highly regarded the game is, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No need to feel badly about it. I recently decided I need to just admit when I don't like a game and move on, instead of trying to make myself like it because I spent some cash on it. If I don't look forward to playing something, I need to just 86 it from my collection.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I'm desperately trying to get there myself. I've unloaded around a 100 games since we moved and I probably need to unload another 50 or so. I enjoy collecting them, but I think I'd like to be more focused on games I consistently enjoy.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote:I had thought about B-17 Flying Fortress Leader and Paths of Glory Deluxe Edition before going with the the one I chose.
I just remembered how much I liked AH B-17.
It looks like the might have a B-29 version if I like this enough.
If you're looking for the spiritual successor to B-17 Queen of the Skies then you chose the right game. I have it on the shelf but I'm also looking forward to your impressions and it may also push me to finally put a flight crew in the air and see if they can survive 25 missions.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm I'm having a really hard time getting into it. For me, theme is everything and I'm just...struggling with Nemo's War.
The gameplay experience in Nemo's War is greatly enhanced if you first read a good translation of the story the game is based upon. You'll discover the game stays surprisingly true to its source material, and you'll realise how effectively the theme really does shine through. Each of Nemo’s motives is something that was present in his behaviour in the book. And I'm fairly certain all of the event cards are taken directly from the book. So while you’re not going through the book from A to Z, you are reliving vital moments of the story and feeling like part of the crew. One of the aspects I think the game nails perfectly is how Nemo feels very much akin to the distant man of the book, with his past being one big question mark along with his quirky whims.

Suffice to say, if you're having trouble getting into the theme, I strongly recommend reading a Frederick Paul Walter translation of the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas and then try playing again after you've finished the book (e.g. this $0.99 Kindle version is top-notch). Whatever you do though, be sure to steer clear of the more commonly used horribly-mistranslated and truncated Lewis Mercier translation of old, as that won't help at all.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did pick that up and want to read it before my next serious attempt, absolutely. It's just one of those things for me - the production value of the game is great, the art work is enjoyable. I don't even care about the randomness or being at the mercy of dice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have you tried flooding your gaming room, putting on a turban and demanding that your wife serve you nothing but seafood and rum?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wanting something light I decided to revisit HARRY POTTER: HOGWARTS BATTLE after playing a couple of rounds with my daughter. I had previously beat the base box with two characters, but had never delved much into the expansion. This time I decided to try soloing it 4-handed for some extra challenge and my God is it tough. I've lost Book 3 twice now.

The chief complaint of HP:HWB is that it can be very swingy depending on the luck of what villains you draw first before you've had a chance to build your deck. However, I've used that "flaw" to ramp up the challenge level. Because the game from a deck-building standpoint is extremely light, it's been kind of fun to have to literally play with the cards I'm dealt.

After this I'm probably going to tackle LEGENDARY: ALIEN again since I have the Covenant expansion. I may just go all in and grab the boxed expansion as well and play through the whole cycle.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been trying to find a copy of V-Commandos for a few months now, after hearing some stellar reviews for it more than once. I tried finding it at conventions, then missed the kickstarter for their Assassin's Creed version of the same game system (which would have, I believe, allowed me to order a copy of V-Commandos). But I gave in last Thursday and ordered a new copy from an online retailer. I got it yesterday and just started sorting through everything.

It's been described as the board game version of the video game Commandos, which I loved. It includes a stealth mechanic I haven't come across before. 3 different tile sizes are used for maps. A small tile you can stealth across, a medium tile you can spend extra action points (you get 3 by default per turn) to stealth into, and a large you have to go visible. If enemies move onto your tile on a medium, you have to roll to see if they find you, thus turning you visible. Some equipment and actions can trigger alarms, which you can then try to shut off before attempting to go back to stealth (if possible).

It's a pretty simple rule set, but it has a ton of options for games. You can also play single scenarios, or entire "operations" which can take place across multiple maps (sometimes at the same time with different characters). 1 to 4 player coop.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hey Hepcat, did you end up getting it from the developer's website? I've been interested in V Commandos for a while too but missed the kickstarters as well.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grabbed it from Noble Knight games in Wisconsin through their website. And yes, it's the latest edition, so no need to turn around and order an update pack from the maker.

Didn't save much, but it was 5 bucks cheaper than ordering it from the maker, and I didn't have to pay to have it shipped from Canada).

Now I'm debating ordering the Resistance expansion. I'm going to end up spending way more on this than I should. :oops:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Great! Thanks for enabling, umm helping me out!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and there goes another 55 bucks. Resistance was hard for me to....RESIST!

Thankfully (unfortunately) the other expansion, Secret Weapons, is out of print.

Anyway, just do yourself a favor and order both. Save 10 bucks or so on shipping since, if you're like me, it's going to happen anyway. :oops:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, that one looks really good.

Grumble.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:...and there goes another 55 bucks. Resistance was hard for me to....RESIST!

Thankfully (unfortunately) the other expansion, Secret Weapons, is out of print.

Anyway, just do yourself a favor and order both. Save 10 bucks or so on shipping since, if you're like me, it's going to happen anyway. :oops:
Oh Hepcat, Hepcat, Hepcat. As soon as you posted the link I bought V Commandos and Resistance.

At least it's a game that I've been interested in for a long time.
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 pm Damn, that one looks really good.

Grumble.
Come to octocon on the 18th and/or 19th and we'll play!

The only thing that I was disappointed by was that the game box was pretty heavy...until I opened it and realized there were French versions of the manuals and all the cards, in addition to the English versions. I really thought it was stuffed to the gills with game! Ah well, there's still ample stuff to play.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I owned it. Had I known so many here wanted or were interested, I would have offered it up. It's definitely fun and absolutely plays like a video game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why did you get rid of it? Did it wear out its welcome after a while?

Did you have Secret Weapons too?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't personally find replay value enough to keep it around. With the move, I really had to (and still do) make hard decisions and that game was in my pile of ~50 that were good, but just didn't make the cut. It plays excellent solo but it also felt like maybe I was missing out on lots of good table talk by not playing with others. I also had a 1st edition and no expansions, so maybe that's part of it. It's also more action/arcade in how it feels. That's not bad, but generally speaking I don't play WW2 games for an action/arcade feel.