OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:13 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Don't forget to edge them!

I bought a set of colored markers and ran them along all of the edges of all of the items (terrain, furniture, etc.) It looks much, much better. If you go that route, just make sure you get a set with lots of tans and grays rather then a bright 'rainbow' set.
My daughter has a great set of markers and tan and grey are among the choices. Some of the edges are a bit raggedy so touching them up isn't a bad idea.
I don't know where I saw it - some video - but I also got some super glue with a brush and brushed it on all the little 'hooks' that are inserted into tabs on various pieces.

/edit - to clarify, I didn't glue them to anything, I just brushed the glue on the edges and let them dry. Now they're almost like plastic, and not so prone to wear.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow, that's a really smart idea. I'll look into that!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Temple of Elemental Evil is still working its way across my table. I'm a little over halfway done with the campaign.

Today was another city adventure. This one was a more enjoyable than the first, which had the integrated game of Memory. This time there were nine villagers scattered around the town, one per tile. As an action I could have a character rescue one villager. There was an automatic encounter each character's turn, and a monster added after each character's turn as long as there were villagers left on the board. As an action, I could have a character 'rescue' one villager they were adjacent to and remove them from the board, and monsters would treat them as heroes for the purposes of targeting and attacks. Since the villagers had AC 12 and 2 hit points, they would die in only one or two hits. The scenario was over when all of the villagers were off of the board and all of the monsters were dead.

The strategy I used was to designate a couple of specific characters to focus entirely on killing monsters while the other two ran around and rescued. The strategy came from the monster placement, as you could place a monster on any tile that didn't already have one. I made a concerted effort to get my two monster hunters to get a kill or two each turn while on the lower part of the board, then placed any drawn monsters onto the areas they'd just cleared. This ensured that all of the monsters targeted my two heroes rather than the villagers, and ensured that their numbers didn't grow too much. In the end I'd rescued eight of the nine villagers with one killed (the victory condition was five rescued.)

At this point I've leveled my characters enough that every one of them is level 2, has an extra power recharge token, plus one has a heal-2HP token and another has a +1 damage token (tokens are usable once per adventure.) It's a pretty solid way to add a persistent leveling mechanic to the game. It helps, as you add cards to the deck (or replace existing cards) as you finish each mission, boosting the opposition. Still, I've finished seven of 13 missions, and have yet to have a failure. I'll likely get one eventually, but so far it has been a fairly safe game.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So I punched out and organized all my Core Space walls, built my furniture and even put together the expansion stuff. Almost done with the rule book and I think I grasp all the major concepts to play my first game.

But more importantly, after collecting some small items for painting miniatures over the years this game finally pushed me to go all in and now I’m waiting for actual paint and wash sets, primer, varnish and a few more brushes to come in. Daughter is really excited to paint with me and I’ll take advantage of her superior eyesight. I’m actually more excited to start painting the minis than play the game and hopefully I’ll be branching out to paint the numerous other minis I own.

There’s no going back now... :horse:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Gooble gobble...

We'll be expecting you on Zoom painting night!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Gooble gobble...

We'll be expecting you on Zoom painting night!
Would like to drop in sometime and hopefully show something reasonably acceptable. But also nice to just say hi to folks.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You don't even have to pain to to join! And only a couple of us have cameras on our work, so you don't have to be mini-shy. ;)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

$iljanus wrote:So I punched out and organized all my Core Space walls, built my furniture and even put together the expansion stuff. Almost done with the rule book and I think I grasp all the major concepts to play my first game.

But more importantly, after collecting some small items for painting miniatures over the years this game finally pushed me to go all in and now I’m waiting for actual paint and wash sets, primer, varnish and a few more brushes to come in. Daughter is really excited to paint with me and I’ll take advantage of her superior eyesight. I’m actually more excited to start painting the minis than play the game and hopefully I’ll be branching out to paint the numerous other minis I own.

Joooiiinnn uuusssss...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Dammit people. OK, sell me on Core Space. Since I backed out on Freedom Five and Townsfolk Tussle, I'm seriously considering jumping in with 36 hours left. Is this really all that and a bag of chips?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I'm three turns into my first solo game of Altar Quest and I've got some initial impressions.

The game is a little more fiddly than Street Masters, which is itself a bit fiddly. This was an issue for the first few games of SM that I had because you have to remember to check various cards for triggers, actions, etc.. every turn; but eventually I got into the correct mindset and it didn't cause too many issues for me after that. In addition to the villain and quest areas (analogous to the boss and stage area in SM), you also have lurker cards and threat cards to deal with. Not a huge deal though because at the end of the day, you still have the same number of areas to check each turn (3: threat, villain (boss in SM) and quest (stage in SM)).

Things I REALLY like:

1) Attributes. To mimic an RPG, AQ has attributes that you use to determine everything your character does/endures. Attacks use the attribute best suited to the equipment (weapon) you're using or the nature of the card you're using (spells, etc.). A big ol' mace will use strength, for example; while a bow will use your agility. There are 6 attributes. However, the range I've encountered so far with characters is between 1 and 3. So it's still well within the paradigm set up in SM where you only really roll 1 to 3 dice for attacks each turn.

2) Exploration. Each time you open a door (you can only open one per turn, by the way) you reveal the feature card, which determines what's in that room. These features are such things as bookshelves, standing mirrors, chest of drawers, etc.. And they give you the ability to search them for quest items, consumables and/or supplies. You also can reveal traps, which go in your threat area and trigger during the threat phase (they also have miniatures that go into the room as well as a reminder of where they are). You can either trigger them by moving within range of them, or stand still and just suffer the activate effect during the threat phase. But the wiser choice is to either leave that room, or disable it by interacting with it in a way set out by the card for the trap. In my current game, I don't have much of a choice as the damn thing sprung up right next to me and I can't move out of range without triggering it. So I'm stuck there pulling an Indiana Jones and trying to disable the damn thing. I love it though. Very thematic.

Things I kind of like:

1) Rhunes. Simply put, this is a pool of dice with special icons you can spend for various effects on cards. If found on an enemy card, they trigger as well when that card activates. Once you use one, you have to roll it, thereby revealing a new face from one of the 6 found on each die. It's a neat way to add some new dynamic to your choices each turn, and some of the characters apparently are designed as manipulators of this mechanic.

2) Combat. It's not as visceral as SM, but it's close. Instead of enemies attacking you, they either inflict damage or you resist damage (the former for enemy attacks, the latter for things like area effect attacks or poison). You still still attack though. Since everything is now a "test" based on your attributes, you simply need to reduce the number listed after the type of test to avoid damage. You can use supplies and/or armor to further enhance your roll/reduce damage though. Also, the dice mechanic is the same as SM and Brook City: you have focus, hits and criticals. If you roll a focus, you can convert it to a hit with a focus icon or collect a focus token at the end of the test if you didn't, if you roll a hit it's a point of damage/reduces the effect of the enemy "attack" by 1, if a critical you roll again and keep the hit from the critical...repeating every time you get a critical. (side note: I REALLY wish they'd just kept the iconography for this either the same as SM or made it simpler. I was still referring to the icon guide to figure out which was a regular hit and which was a critical hit 3 turns into the game)

Things I didn't really like:

1) I can already tell this is NOT going to be a shorter game. SM can be long with 3 or more players, but we've got it down to a science in my group and a 2 player game will last about 90 minutes to 2 hours at most. AQ is going to be more like Brook City in that it's going to be a 2 to 3 hour game solo or with 2, and an all day event with 3 or 4.

2) Shadow Spaces. Enemies spawn on the board in "shadow spaces". But damned if I can find a definitive way to determine what that is at this point. Right now I'm just looking for any space with a hint of a shadow on it and placing them there. But since there are varying degrees of shadows on some spaces, I have to wonder if I'm doing that right. They could have at least placed a small guide on the correct spaces, like they did with feature spaces (spaces where features are placed after being drawn).

3) The rulebook. Blacklist games continues to do that maddening thing where they break out important rules into a highlighted box...and then places that box somewhere else in the rulebook that doesn't relate to WHY you need to know that rule. Okay, here's a checklist of what to do when you reveal a room...but why is it 3 pages AFTER the section on movement??? I know I'll get kickback on this, but I love FFG's Learn to Play approach. It lays out what I need to know in a linear fashion, then gives me a full rulebook with everything in alphabetical order should I need it.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts. I hope to finish this learning game by Friday. So far though, I'm really enjoying it!
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I *think* the Shadow Spaces have these little "cracks" that are coming out of what looks like a hole in the floor. For some rooms they are pretty easy to see, but for other rooms they are very difficult (particularly on the play mats). I think each room only has one, but I haven't checked that to be sure.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

They also seem to be easier to see on the Stretch Goal board, which has them appear as very large and gaping holes. As far as I can tell, they are always along the wall and only one per room.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, if there is only one shadow space per room, that's going to change my game quite a bit.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:31 pm Oh man, if there is only one shadow space per room, that's going to change my game quite a bit.
There is - and it can be tricky to see on some rooms, but it's definitely an opening / cracked tile that has them (thematically) crawling up from the darkness under the board (from your lap?) They probably could have put a faded monster icon on it (similar to the feature iconography) but it would detract from the art a bit.

I need to finish a few more rounds, but I largely agree with hepcat's post.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent news. I was going to list one of my dislikes as "enemies appear practically on top of my head", but held off as I wasn't sure I understood what the hell a shadow space was. Now that I know, I can use that to my advantage (position myself so I can at least get a turn sometimes to "prep" for an enemy attack...sorry..I mean "inflict").
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:43 pm crawling up from the darkness under the board (from your lap?)
Your lap? What, you balance a Hungry Man Salisbury steak dinner on the other end of the board when you're playing?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:49 pm Excellent news. I was going to list one of my dislikes as "enemies appear practically on top of my head", but held off as I wasn't sure I understood what the hell a shadow space was. Now that I know, I can use that to my advantage (position myself so I can at least get a turn sometimes to "prep" for an enemy attack...sorry..I mean "inflict").
There's a surprising amount (at least to me) of tactical game play here - where you want to end your move, where you spawn enemies when the shadow space is occupied, using free move abilities, etc... -- they can all really change what happens each turn. Street Masters had tactics, but this feels like a whole additional layer, particularly with the room features and traps which might give you additional options each round depending on where you or the enemy figures are starting or ending their turns. Sometimes simply being able to move a single step at the end of your turn might change the enemy AI behavior and make them unable to engage, buying you another round of not being able to be attacked.
Your lap? What, you balance a Hungry Man Salisbury steak dinner on the other end of the board when you're playing?
Food processor + hungry man steak dinner = meat and potato smoothie. Time saved making and eating dinner is time I can re-invest in solo gaming!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...I hadn't considered using the traps against enemies.

I just have regular blender, but I'll try to puree a chuck roast this weekend in your honor. If it goes horribly wrong, please don't detail the cause of my death in either my obituary or my tombstone. Just put down "he died doing what he loved".
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 am Dammit people. OK, sell me on Core Space. Since I backed out on Freedom Five and Townsfolk Tussle, I'm seriously considering jumping in with 36 hours left. Is this really all that and a bag of chips?

1. Look and read
2. it is a cool, elaborate set of terrain that doesn't cost terrain prices and all fits perfectly in a relatively small box.
3. Minis, minis, minis (and really nice ones at that.)
4. The company themselves have been great to deal with. The second-hand core set I bought off of ebay came with several pieces missing which made it unplayable. I wrote them, explained that I'd bought it second hand, and asked if I could purchase the missing components. They sent them to me free of charge, despite me never having been a customer of theirs. At the same time, I've purchased off of their site twice now. It ships from Nottingham, UK, but always ships right away and gets here way faster than I'd expect for an overseas delivery.
5. Their stuff is top quality. I haven't had any complaints about anything I've received.
6. Their rules are great. They bridge the gap between board game and miniatures game the same way Rangers of the Shadow Deep does. (Disclaimer: I've read them and watched sessions, but haven't gotten them on the table yet myself.)
7. They have a great online presence if you're into such things (check out Core Space Universe on Facebook.)
8. I've heard rumors of a set of fantasy rules similar to Core Space (although their terrain plus Rangers are a fantastic combination - they should collaborate!)
9. Once you've sampled their products, you'll be hooked (I guess this may not be a 'pro'), and they have an absolute ton of stuff for multiple genres.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks hentzau - I've been watching some playthroughs this morning and was already hooked.

I'm in for the base set + expansion level pledge. The All-In was a bit too rich for my blood for a game I've never played, but I'm OK buying expansions piecemeal afterwards if I like the game.

This one checked off all the boxes for me - hard(ish) to get at retail, KS price offered a significant savings, and different from anything I currently own. Looking forward to joining the Core Space Cult.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice job, Blackhawk. Couldn’t have sold it better myself.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm Thanks hentzau - I've been watching some playthroughs this morning and was already hooked.

I'm in for the base set + expansion level pledge. The All-In was a bit too rich for my blood for a game I've never played, but I'm OK buying expansions piecemeal afterwards if I like the game.

This one checked off all the boxes for me - hard(ish) to get at retail, KS price offered a significant savings, and different from anything I currently own. Looking forward to joining the Core Space Cult.
Damn, this one flew under my radar. I think I am in at the KS Edition level. They are adding a lot of exclusive content that makes that level pretty good without the extra $140 for the All In pledge.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not to dissuade you, but there is no exclusive content. Everything will be at retail. It'll be a while, and it will be out of stock, but they don't do actual exclusives.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and Hentzau says you're both welcome.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Update - my wife was struggling to think of something to get me for my birthday, so I said, well there is this game I kinda want.................

Original Core Space starter set is headed my way. :horse:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote:Update - my wife was struggling to think of something to get me for my birthday, so I said, well there is this game I kinda want.................

Awesome. Cant wait to see how you like it. Hit me up if you have any questions.

-Hentzau, Core Space Evangelist
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:36 pm Update - my wife was struggling to think of something to get me for my birthday, so I said, well there is this game I kinda want.................

For some reason, I thought the original was unavailable (damn assumptions when a second KS is running). Where did you end up ordering Core Space from? I was kicking around Etherfields, but, if this is available it may fit the bill better!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

baelthazar wrote:Where did you end up ordering Core Space from?
I ordered it direct from battlesystems.co.uk. You have to suck up the shipping from the UK, but considering I couldn't find it in stock here I didn't mind paying a little extra.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

YellowKing wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Where did you end up ordering Core Space from?
I ordered it direct from battlesystems.co.uk. You have to suck up the shipping from the UK, but considering I couldn't find it in stock here I didn't mind paying a little extra.
I bought my game and the Zeds expansion directly from them and I'll second the comment about Battlesystems being really quick about the shipping.
Black lives matter!

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:36 pm Update - my wife was struggling to think of something to get me for my birthday, so I said, well there is this game I kinda want.................

For some reason, I thought the original was unavailable (damn assumptions when a second KS is running). Where did you end up ordering Core Space from? I was kicking around Etherfields, but, if this is available it may fit the bill better!
I think my FLGS still has a copy in stock. I can check and see next time I’m in, or you can contact them off of their website at games-plus.com. They offer a 10% discount for mail order, but you have to pay for shipping.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ok guys, I am going to order some Core Space Stuff, but I am not sure what to get with the initial foray. The general consensus seems to be that I should start with the Core (duh) and:

1. At least one extra crew. I am leaning toward Skylark or Cygnus.
2. Shootout at Zeds - most agree this is a nice addition with good flavor.

But should I get anything else at this point? If I want Galactic Corps, I have to go with the actual publisher (and eat higher shipping costs). I was also thinking The Purge: Outbreak. The Deluxe Rulebook seems to be just icing and not needed for solo play. Is it worth tossing in another crew?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 pm Ok guys, I am going to order some Core Space Stuff, but I am not sure what to get with the initial foray. The general consensus seems to be that I should start with the Core (duh) and:

1. At least one extra crew. I am leaning toward Skylark or Cygnus.
2. Shootout at Zeds - most agree this is a nice addition with good flavor.

But should I get anything else at this point? If I want Galactic Corps, I have to go with the actual publisher (and eat higher shipping costs). I was also thinking The Purge: Outbreak. The Deluxe Rulebook seems to be just icing and not needed for solo play. Is it worth tossing in another crew?
So I still have to get the darned thing on the table so I’ll just give the rationale for why I ordered what I did with the disclaimer that I am not responsible for any damage I may do to your wallet.

I did order an extra crew but only because Miniature Market was having a Black Friday discount on a crew. I forgot which one and they are now out of much of their Core Space inventory. I think that the two that come with the starter set are probably fine.

I was more certain of my Zeds purchase because I liked the idea of interacting with unsavory characters in the game. It also comes with missions and some good terrain in the form of a cool second story “crows nest”. And you can actually run the characters in the Zeds expansion as a crew in itself.

As I went down the rabbit hole I also bought the Galactic Corps expansion because I think space cops can really round out the game world. It also comes with nice missions and some new terrain. But availability may put off this purchase and I think you can have a bunch of fun with the starter plus Zeds.

Now going completely through the looking glass I also bought the Dangerous Days and deluxe rulebook. Dangerous Days had some interesting additions to the rule set and a new campaign along with a bunch of scenarios from the Battlesystems website in the book and a painting guide. The campaign however calls for having the Zeds and Corps expansions which I had and some of the Purge expansions which I did not have. Still, I’m sure the Purge expansions will be in my future and the one off missions are generously provided by Battlesystems on their website so no need for this book.

As for the deluxe rule book that was a bit of an impulse buy. But I enjoy scenario design so I figured it could be useful. It also ties into one place all the rule sets from the expansions I believe so that’s convenient. But again, completely unnecessary.

So I think you can get a full experience with just the starter plus either the Zeds or the Corps expansion depending on your preference for either scum and villainy or law and order. If you have the funds you can always get both, of course... 8-) (but don’t follow my brand of madness and you can feel secure in getting just the starter and an expansion). The starter rule book is really complete so you don’t feel like you’re missing out by not getting the deluxe or Dangerous Days books. Hats off to Battlesystems for that!
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was tempted to buy some more stuff but wanted to make sure I really liked the base game first. I can see this one being one of those games I eventually go all in on though. I'm still going to keep an eye out for Black Friday deals and snag whatever I can if the discounts are good enough.

Obviously the recent Kickstarter has drummed up renewed interest in the game, so I'm hoping expansions become a bit more available stateside over the next few months as the hype wears off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pmObviously the recent Kickstarter has drummed up renewed interest in the game, so I'm hoping expansions become a bit more available stateside over the next few months as the hype wears off.
All my domestic Core Space purchases have come from Troll Hoard Games on eBay. Would recommend.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

One other thing to keep in mind with the CS sets is that they work great with the other terrain sets that BS puts out. I highly recommend the galactic core and outlands sets for a change of pace.

Link

Also, I recommend Dangerous Days because it tweaks the rewards and gains system. If you are playing pure solo or co-op, the game is a bit too easy to become overpowered and max out everything too easy. The updated rules put the brakes on that a bit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I know hepcat gave his thoughts earlier, and I think I'm in complete agreement. There's a lot going on and the first time you're playing Altar Quest - there's so many parts to juggle. However, after you get a feel for the flow and more importantly what you can expect each round from the various cards activating, then the real game play emerges and you can lose yourself in the strategy of the card play and the tactics for moving the miniatures.

Knowing how each round is going to flow and which cards are going to activate first on the Threat turn can make a huge difference - particularly when certain Altar Dice are showing. For example, because the enemies in your threat area activate first, if they use that Altar Die, it's re-rolled and then unavailable to the Boss that round (assuming you roll a different face). However, if you stun a threat (like I constantly do with Rowen) then the Altar Die isn't activated by a minion and instead the Boss uses it - and it's likely worse. Add in trying to end your turn near a room feature to gain a free activation (which might get you resources, treasure, or a scenario-specific card) and you have a lot to juggle on each turn - way more than a game like Street Masters or Brook City.

This feels like such a great implementation of the modular deck system - all the parts are firing and working together great. I would advise playing the same boss, minion and adventure theme over and over and just swap out the characters. Again, that first game is going to be brutal, but after you just know how to handle those modular elements, learning each character will be much more fun.

The biggest downside is the space. Here's a shot on Round 4:

Enlarge Image

I have it set up in a way for true solo that lets me play on about 1/2 of the game board with all the bits on a set of side folding tables, sorted in cups and using a card holder (just out of frame). Otherwise it would be a giant, sprawling mess. Because you're only going to see about 9 rooms (I think) per game, I can just keep myself to 1/2 a board and if I get bored with this setup, just rotate the map around and play in a new area.

The rule book isn't great and I'm kinda surprised. I don't know if they're just assuming people are familiar, but it really needs an edit for clarity. There desperately needs to be ~15 minute videos on Youtube to show a typical turn or how to move through each element (one short video for Hero turn; one short video for Threat turn). There are plenty of 2+ hour videos, but some are quite old. Short, punchy tutorials are needed.

I like how combat is different and more RPG-like with various tests. The exploding dice element always make it possibly worth any type of attempt because who knows? Maybe you'll get a critical result and get to roll another die. Or maybe you'll get a focus roll and be able to convert that to another success. I loved both in Street Masters and it works really well in this game.

This is definitely what I was hoping for. I'm not entirely sure every character will work in true solo Rowen (the Hobbit Burry) is hard to hit but I'm having a problem dealing with threats. However, with so many characters to try that alone is worth the game (for me). IF it becomes too much, I can always add an Ally and see how that goes - just so many options.

Might not be for everyone, but it's a winner for me - I can tell already.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My tutorial game ended in defeat. I had some concerns the game might be too easy after reading some reviews on BGG, so I’m happy to discover it isn’t...at least for me.

I’m starting a campaign tomorrow so I can see how it plays out in that mode. I also want to try some other characters as I’ve just been playing the base game’s version of a cleric.

I think they’ve addressed my issues with Brook City in AQ, so I’m happy so far. Hopefully it keeps me coming back like Street Masters does.

P.S. overlooked rule of the day? Armor tokens can’t be used against damage from resist tests.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Has anybody here tried the Pulp Alley rules system? Is it any good solo? Is it a space hog?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:50 pmP.S. overlooked rule of the day? Armor tokens can’t be used against damage from resist tests.
Yes. The armor tokens are only used when you rolling dice to try and gain successes for damage. If you have cards or abilities that indicate "[Do Something] to deal X damage", it totally ignores all armor (natural or additional chits).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm Has anybody here tried the Pulp Alley rules system? Is it any good solo? Is it a space hog?
I think most (all?) scenarios are on a 3'x3' gaming area. I looked into it a few years ago but gave up because of the cards that I thought I needed to get (separate, but available through the publisher). At the time, they were OOP and I don't think available as PnP options. I think there was a rules revision and re-publish via KS, but by then I'd moved on. I liked the idea (the theme in particular) but never actually played, sorry.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 pm Has anybody here tried the Pulp Alley rules system? Is it any good solo? Is it a space hog?
I have them but have never played. I love the idea, I love the theme, I even have some minis that would work. Terrain, I'm working on with a new 3D print Kickstarter. Let me grab my copy and give it a read-through tonight (since I'll be at my folks) and I'll give you some at opinions based on reading them. Not nearly as good as playing, I know.