GMT announces multiple new Playdek digital adaptations

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

GMT announces multiple new Playdek digital adaptations

Post by Holman »

Announcement here.

First up is a digital version of Labyrinth, to be followed by Imperial Struggle and several COIN games.

Playdek did the digital Twilight Struggle. Since Labyrinth and the COIN games already have an AI on paper, some of the early TS problems should be avoidable. I think Playdek's interface will be good for these games.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Re: GMT announces multiple new Playdek digital adaptations

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm interested in this mainly for the potential to work as a AI driven tutorial. Most of my GMT games are unplayed because they're so damn dense. Having an AI buddy teach me (by repeatedly winning, of course) would be a huge help.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sweet. I think Playdek did a great job with Twilight Struggle overall. The AI can't keep up in the long run, but it met my general AI expectations for strategy games. And Labyrinth is a pretty fun game too.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I'm down with playing some Labyrinth. I don't know about the AI, but the ability to play Twilight Struggle asynchronously has increased the amount of time I get to play it by about 10000%. Instead of having to set aside a two or three hour block of time, I can just take a couple of minutes a day for each turn.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh, and from the release they're also going to work on releases for the COIN line of games (Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, one or two others). That's good news - I've wanted to play them for a long time, but the scheduling has never worked out.

AND somehow I was unaware that Twilight Struggle also had a mobile version. Probably worth picking up for $7, if just for bathroom breaks.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Put me down for the COIN games as well. I need to get back to TI, but this pesky school thing keeps getting in the way.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm Oh, and from the release they're also going to work on releases for the COIN line of games (Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, one or two others). That's good news - I've wanted to play them for a long time, but the scheduling has never worked out.

AND somehow I was unaware that Twilight Struggle also had a mobile version. Probably worth picking up for $7, if just for bathroom breaks.
We should make another run at scheduling, because I keep buying games in this damn series.

Cautiously optimistic about this, but if I remember right Playdek has made announced projects before only to have them be vaporware. GMT too.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Watch list.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm Oh, and from the release they're also going to work on releases for the COIN line of games (Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, one or two others). That's good news - I've wanted to play them for a long time, but the scheduling has never worked out.

We should make another run at scheduling, because I keep buying games in this damn series.

Cautiously optimistic about this, but if I remember right Playdek has made announced projects before only to have them be vaporware. GMT too.
Sounds good to me.

As for this, my only experience with Playdek) that I can recall is TS. Do we know whether Twilight Struggle sold well (digitally)? If so I would think that Labyrinth at least would be a pretty safe business bet.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Over at the ConsimWorld forums, Gene from GMT said that Playdek's TS sold well *and* it boosted sales of tabletop TS. Hence the further development arrangement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.