Telltale games shutting down immediately

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Stefan Stirzaker

Telltale games shutting down immediately

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Telltale games is closing. I'm surprised as I believed they were doing really well
https://twitter.com/telltalegames/statu ... 89/photo/1
Daehawk

Re: Telltale games shutting down immediately

Post by Daehawk »

Feels strange to me as I figured them to be one of the better doing companies with all the games and hits they've had.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, that's remarkably sudden and unexpected. Add me to those who figured they were doing well. :?

EDIT: Interesting thread here about their situation.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tales From the Borderlands is better than TWD.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

None of their games have trading cards. Just throwing that out there.

I've played a whole bunch of their stuff and I'm guessing the appeal is rather limited. I thought the writing for TWD games was amazing, though the last "mini game" with Michonne was rather meh (I don't think I finished it). The Wolf Among Us was fantastic and that's really unfortunate that a second season will never see the light of day. I'd imagine whatever they had to pay in order to get licensing rights for Batman or GoT had to really eat into their bottom line.

It's all unfortunate.

EDIT: Don't forget, their former CEO sued them over the summer:
Bruner — who took over as CEO in 2015 — has been widely recognized as a controversial figure. The Verge previously spoke to several sources with direct knowledge of the company’s inner workings, and how it was plagued under Bruner’s leadership by constant crunch, toxic management practices, and a culture of fear and stagnation that he cultivated.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:25 pm None of their games have trading cards. Just throwing that out there.
Then I blame JetFred.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't find it at all surprising. I'd wondered just how sustainable their production model could be and how long they could keep making those kinds of games without evolving more than they have. They only evolved one time in going from their point-n-click adventures to interactive storybooks (and maybe that's simplifying it a bit) but it seems to me their formula was getting a bit stale. And then their aging engine, I'm surprised how much mileage they got out of.

Other than the GoT game, I haven't played their 2nd era games. That particular style just never particularly appealed to me and always seemed quite limited from a gameplay standpoint.

The fact that only the first season of TWD was profitable would seem to indicate to me that the formula wasn't quite working out for them. It's at that point where if I were them, I'd start re-evaluating the direction they were taking themselves in, and if possible start thinking of another reinvention. If a formula is stale, you don't just keep on going until you wear out. You sometimes have to take a look at how you can introduce some different gameplay elements into the mix to keep things interesting, not only for the players but for the developers as well.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids are sad if there isn't another Minecraft.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Didn't they do the Lego games too? I remember seeing the double TT logo when my son and I were playing Lego Dimensions and I'm pretty sure on the Marvel Lego games
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

IceBear wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:11 am Didn't they do the Lego games too? I remember seeing the double TT logo when my son and I were playing Lego Dimensions and I'm pretty sure on the Marvel Lego games
Not the same TT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_Games

http://ttgames.com/

Also Telltale's logo isn't Tt but ttg.
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah - thanks