Boardgaming Backlog Challenge

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got a little inspiration for this from one of my Facebook gaming groups, but I thought it may be fun here if people want to participate.

Basically the idea is to pick some of your rarely played games and get them to the table. By performing the challenge you're figuring out which games you really enjoy, which ones you'd be better off selling, and ultimately knowing you at least got some playtime out of your investment. For my part I'm going to choose newer games that I just haven't spent enough time with. I anticipate doing another version of this challenge with some older titles at some point.

Tee folks on the FB group were doing a 10x10 (10 games, 10 times each), but we don't necessarily have to be that ambitious. I was thinking we could scale it down to a 5x5. 5 games, 5 times each (obviously you can play in any order you wish).

This will probably work best with solo-able games, but if you can get a group game to the table 5 times go for it. Then just use this thread to put the games you want to add to the challenge and track your plays, post AARs, thoughts, impressions, etc.

To start things off, I'm going to play the following 5 games 5 times each:

Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities:
Game 1:
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game 4:
Game 5:

Nemo's War:
Game 1:
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game 4:
Game 5:

Big Trouble in Little China:
Game 1: 11/10/18 - 1 character - WIN
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game 4:
Game 5:

Scythe:
Game 1:
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game 4:
Game 5:

Hostage Negotiator:
Game 1:
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game 4:
Game 5:
Last edited by YellowKing on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Oh man. I have at least 15 games in my collection I've never even learned to play yet. Not to mention the number of games that rarely got the table. My challenge would have to be "get every game in your collection played at least once" and even that I'm not sure I could achieve in any reasonable timeline.

For 3 years I did a 10x10 challenge. I found it incredibly difficult. I had to be very picky about the games I picked. I achieved it one year only. Never tried again. I felt it hamstrung my choices when picking a game to play a bit too much and took a little of the fun out of grabbing a game off the shelf. Actually it's what made me decide to sell zombicide finally. I just really struggled to even want to get it to the table the last couple of times and that's when I decided it wasn't worth the shelf space it was demanding.

I look forward to watching this thread though. I still follow the 10x10 thread on bgg even though I no longer participate.
Smoove_B

Re: Boardgaming Backlog Challenge

Post by Smoove_B »

Backlog is a huge issue for me as well, which is why I'm currently in PURGE mode. I applaud your efforts and will read along in support.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Wow, five times per game is ambitious. Godspeed, sir.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 pm Wow, five times per game is ambitious. Godspeed, sir.
It depends on the timeline. Given the remainder of my life I am sure I could find 5 games I could get played 5 times... probably.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

• Letters from Whitechapel
  • Whitehall Mystery
  • Tash-Kalar
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm
  • Letters from Whitechapel
  • Whitehall Mystery
  • Tash-Kalar
Aeon's End
Splendor
Evolution: Climate
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

OK, yeah it wouldn't be that hard... and amazingly I don't have much in the way of a board game backlog.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Before I list mine, what's the maximum number of rows you can put in a reply?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:53 pm Wow, five times per game is ambitious. Godspeed, sir.
It depends on the timeline. Given the remainder of my life I am sure I could find 5 games I could get played 5 times... probably.
Post-having kids, 25 gaming sessions, especially with games that require more than two people (not sure if these do or not) would be pretty ambitious even over the rest of my life.

Though who knows, maybe I'll have plenty of gaming time in my retirement home.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just my luck, I'll retire with all these board games to finally play and appreciate...and immediately break my glasses.

...wait, that's a Twilight Zone episode. I could just buy new glasses.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pmThough who knows, maybe I'll have plenty of gaming time in my retirement home.
My one friend jokes that we better coordinate residence in the same nursing home if we ever hope to get to half of our collection.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm
Post-having kids, 25 gaming sessions, especially with games that require more than two people (not sure if these do or not) would be pretty ambitious even over the rest of my life.

Tell your wife you are going to a professional conference and then attend any one of the many board game conventions around the country or the world. I will play more board games between 11/14 and 11/17 than the rest of the year combined.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm
Splendor

Is one of my ongoing favorites. It's elegant. Like the sort of game I grew up playing. Very "parlor" game like.

I suck at it but I love it. Getting out for some extremely rare gaming this weekend and I request it be brought.

I have a ton of unloved games but I rarely get out to play anything, so the idea of forcing games in to rotation won't even happen. If I played more the x5 part wouldn't be a problem. I always like to play games 2 or 3 times in a row at least when I can. It really takes most game a 3rd time to feel them. 1 to be introduced. 2 to go "ooooh.... yeah..." 3 to get the real experience.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's one of the few competitive solitaire games that I don't mind playing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

First game tackled - BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA

I got back up to speed fairly quickly with the rules on this one, as it hasn't been that long ago that I bought it. I decided to take it easy for the first round and play one character. Surprisingly, one character is about the easiest difficulty, because the designers throw a LOT of advantages towards you to make the game winnable. Not only do you get the abilities of 3 companions, your Audacity track starts higher and you get a couple of significant advantages in Act 2 that can make the end-game very quick.

I played Jack Burton (because, of course!) First Act went swimmingly for a bit, until I got in "Big Trouble" when I got caught in an alley with 5 or 6 minions. I managed to survive through a combination of luck and my special ability, but that was the only real hairy part of the game. After that it was smooth sailing, and I managed to get finish the Porkchop Express quest. Unfortunately I came up *just* short of hitting the Audacity goal, and Lo Pan triggered Act 2 before I could get there. The big news, however, was that I had completed enough quests to be Level 6, so I was loaded for bear heading into the final showdown.

Act 2 starting values were a mixed bag. I got a significant advantage in location from completing the Pork Chop Express quest, but had a lot of minion spawns to deal with given that Lo Pan triggered the Act. Fortunately my good starting location allowed me to dodge the bulk of them right out of the gate. I dispatched Lightning quickly and went straight for Lo Pan's ghost form. I dispatched him with my final combat action, leaving him in vulnerable flesh form (albeit now well-guarded).

Next round I had a wave of minions to fight through, but I was so strong at this point that I made quick work of them. I fought them off and had Lo Pan to 1 health with that round, and managed to fend off his attacks as well as Thunder's with 4 hp left. That low health was no problem, as next round I only needed 1 hit against Lo Pan to win the game. Jack Burton emerged victorious.

While the game does have its flaws in terms of scaling and the uneven feel between Act 1 and Act 2, it's one of the most accurate movie-to-game adaptations I've ever played. Everything I did in the game felt like it came right out of the movie, and like the movie it's just got this goofy charm that I can't explain. I really love the push your luck dice mechanic it uses for actions, which is unlike any other game I own. I also love the replayability in terms of the quests/side quests - this session played out differently than any others I've played before, which is awesome.

I'm probably going to take a little break from this one long enough to finish painting the minis. I've got about half of them done, and the painted ones just added so much to the game that I don't really want to do another session with them unpainted. Next round, however, will definitely be with two characters in order to up the challenge. As fun as this was, the true solo experience is just a tad too easy for my taste.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm

At 2-4 times per year, it shouldn't take more than a decade. And I've heard rumors that eventually kids become self-supervising and self-entertaining.
Black Lives Matter