Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Built a Boardgame Table

All discussions regarding Electronic, Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, Zaxxon

Holman

Built a Boardgame Table

Post by Holman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm

In the new house I finally have an office with room for a boardgame table! Long-term game space has been a lifelong dream.

The components are nothing special: just a 46x70-inch quality plywood surface securely fitted with IKEA legs. It's white pine, sanded but not stained. At last, though, I have a table that can host two full games at once. I could even lay out a big four-map wargame (assuming four standard 34x22 maps rectangular) if I wanted. Until today, I've done my gaming on the dinner table (temporary and inconvenient) or a 2x3-foot folding surface inconveniently placed in the living room.

My only concern is that I picked 1/2-inch thick wood. It was cheaper, and I guess I wanted to be able to move the table easily because it blocks a (deep-storage) closet door. There's no sag, but my worry is that it is just light enough to be easily bumped (shifting counters etc). I might decide to pick up another identical slab and screw it on top just for heft.

In a any case, yay me! I've wanted this for a long time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

hepcat

Re: Built a Boardgame Table

Post by hepcat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I’ll be over this week with Fallout, Malifaux and Hordes tabletop wargames for the christening.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Zarathud

Built a Boardgame Table

Post by Zarathud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Pictures!

My new table from boardgametables.com is assembled and waiting for shipping to be scheduled. I expect I'll have to bar the door on hepcat, if he figures out my new address. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

jackalope

Post by jackalope » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 am

Pictures or it didn't happen!
Congrats, though.
We use a 6' x 4' dining table from the 40's for our game room. And we're in the process of having a new surface for it built with supports that will make it 6' x 6'.
check out my blog with foosball reviews

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Congrats Holman! That's a dream of mine as well, though it will have to wait until we get a bigger house.

Right now I"m making do. Late last year I took out my wife's old computer desk in the office which she didn't use anymore and replaced it with a large folding table. However, it's very sturdy - the kind they use for large events with two U shaped brackets for each end vs individual legs. So it doesn't wobble and is plenty big enough for even my biggest table hogs.

I'm spoiled by my gaming group, though. One of the guys talked his boss into letting us use one of his company's conference rooms every week. So we play on a large conference table with a giant $200 Quiver game mat on top (not mine). It definitely hurts when I have to come back home and play on my rinky dink contraption. :D

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 am

Now that the kids have moved in full-time, I've lost my board gaming table most of the time. We have an extra large table in their room, and I used to steal it for a week at a time while they were away. Now that they're back, it's always in use. I'm having a hell of a time playing anything.
[This space left intentionally blank.]