CCG Time Capsule from the 90s found

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

MonkeyFinger

CCG Time Capsule from the 90s found

Post by MonkeyFinger »

In a box in the back of my closet! Finally spent some time cataloging what in the heck was in there, this after pulling out all of the MtG cards and selling them to my FLGS for just under a grand. :shock:

Here's what I found, all of them in pristine shape as I was more of a collector than a player:

Star Wars: 4 starter decks, 12 New Hope boosters, ~250 cards
Star Trek TNG: 19 Q Continuum boosters, ~900 cards
Gridiron Fantasy Football: 4 starter decks, 32 booster packs, some gold/silver/copper cards
Jyhad by Richard Garfield: 2 starter decks
Arcadia, The Wyld Hunt: 2 Story packs, 6 Character packs
Hyborian Gates: 1 Limited Edition starter pack (2 decks), 55 cards, 13... gates?
Wyvern: 4 starter decks, 11 booster packs, 281 loose cards
Netrunner: 3 "double deck" starter packs, 460 green, 356 purple cards
BattleTech: 2 "Limited First Edition Printing" starter decks, 223 cards
Buffy tVS Pergamum Prophecy: 1 Hero starter deck, 1 Villian starter deck
The Last Crusade, From Normandy to the Rhine, 1945-1995 Limited Anniversary Edition: 2 starter decks, 45 Allied, 43 Axis, 8 terrain cards
Eschelons of Fire: 2 starter decks
Eschelons of Fury: 2 starter decks
Disciples II Blades of War: 4 Deck set (not really "collectible" from what I recall)

I have NO idea what, if anything, can be done with these other than either squirreling them away again somewhere for the estate sale or throwing them in the trash. I recall us going to a lot of trouble back then trying to get a complete Star Trek set, even going so far as to buy individual rare cards by mail from people selling them for a tidy profit. I have a mostly populated 3-ring binder of sleeve pages for it, if I went through and cataloged all the loose cards I could maybe... but I don't see that happening. With Android: Netrunner out, the old ones aren't worth squat from what I've seen. Others, like the "Eschelons", went out of print without fixing the problems they had or providing much of the promised expansions. The only one I have a mild interest in taking for a spin is BattleTech. Funny, just saw a listing out in the wild from about 10 years ago where someone tried to sell a still sealed BT set for $2500 but was willing to stop at $5000 if it hit that point. :think: Yeah, nope, no takers.

Ah well, just thought I'd share my find and my little trip down CCG Memory Lane.

Heck, forgot to add there were four "Star Trek Captains" calling cards in there. Each one had 10 "units" which you could use to "get in touch with the stars" from TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Good on any touchtone phone in the USA! :D
-mf
stessier

Re: CCG Time Capsule from the 90s found

Post by stessier »

I still have about 8000 cards from Decipher's Star Wars and about 6000 from their Star Trek. Also some sealed boxes. I can't bring myself to throw them away.

I ran across this article about fans keeping it alive since Decipher lost the license. Was thinking about donating it all to them since they would get the most enjoyment out of it, but haven't gotten around to it. Laziness - the silent killer.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Holy crap... that's a lot of cards. :shock:
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am Holy crap... that's a lot of cards. :shock:
I had a problem... :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have an unopened 'case' (10 decks plastic-wrapped in retail display package) of limited Middle Earth: The Wizards cards hiding in a box somewhere.
It's almost as if people are the problem.