Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Pyperkub

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Pyperkub »

Installed.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I've been practicing creating games. I think I got the hang of it.
There is a 3x3 grid to place each of us in. Can I put you in the middle, Pyperkub?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am
Dave Allen wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:48 am I assigned you same build as Zenn7. You are officially the "Wiggumites".
Perfect! Thanks!
Sure, handicap him! :p

Ralph - sent you a few thoughts on why I picked this army. Hope they will give some starting guidance. Feel free to tell me how I can improve it when we're done. :)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Thanks! Those tips were helpful. Now maybe I’ll get second to last place instead of just last place.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I've resolved all the flickering/freezing issues by running the dxcfg.exe file (located in the game directory)
My settings in it look like this:

Make sure it's set to fullscreen ( its windowed by default ). Then, when you first run the game the mouse doesn't seem to work, but Alt+Tab or WindowKey out of the game and then back in. From then on everything works flawlessly. I hope this helps anyone still having a problem.

Oh, I also discovered the GOG edition is NOT the original game. Everyone is using the GOG edition, right?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yes, I'm using the GOG version.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Game bought = game bought from GOG.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I'm using the GoG version as well. What's our next step?
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 pm Yeah, I'm using the GoG version as well. What's our next step?
I'm ready to go when everyone else is. Still no file from Pyperkub.
I understand having to work, but I'm 65, semi-retired and just hope to live long enough to finish this game with you guys. :wink:

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 pm Yeah, I'm using the GoG version as well. What's our next step?
I'm ready to go when everyone else is. Still no file from Pyperkub.
I understand having to work, but I'm 65, semi-retired and just hope to live long enough to finish this game with you guys. :wink:
Can you run 2 games? We could start one w/o Pyperkub and do another with him when he's ready to start?
The only other game I've played in a manner like this is our Dominions games on here. Those have really long turns in the end game. This doesn't get that out of control (magic adds a little to the game, but it is definitely not overwhelming like that game, no where near as many armies on the whole, etc). Chances are fairly good most people could find time to play in 2 games at a time, especially if they are using the same army/similar set up (less to learn/focus on because you'll have more familiarity).

Don't want to miss out on Pyperkub joining (cause I know he's pretty good at strategy games and his history with this game in particular and also, hate to have someone miss out on the chance at some fun), but would love to get going with a game too.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Okay then - here we go... :horse:

Order of play:

Pyperkub as Pylantirons
NickAragua as Hoomans
El Guapo as Evil Maximus
Zenn7 as Zenn's Zoo
Ralph-Wiggum as Wiggumites
Archinerd as Lump Heads
Dave Allen as Midkemians

To Play:

Copy the .eml file you receive to 'Warlords 3\email' directory and launch the game.
From the menu, select 'Load Game'.
Choose 'EMail Game' game type in the 'Load Game' window.
The name of your turn file will appear in the list. Select it, press Okay button and the game will be loaded.
Complete your turn by clicking 'Next Turn'.
The game will create a next turn file that you have to send to the next player.
Please send your turn file within 24 hours of receiving your email. (I had to .zip mine for Thunderbird to send it)

Here are the parameters:

:csmile: HAVE FUN! :csmile:
Last edited by Dave Allen on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"No personality"

ouch.

I'll run through my turn tonight.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Awesome. Thanks for putting it together. I look forward to losing miserably!
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Biggest issue was not being able to find the time to build a custom side. Sorry folks.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 pm Biggest issue was not being able to find the time to build a custom side. Sorry folks.
I could assign you the same army as Zenn7, and do a quick reset?

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sure

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am "No personality"

ouch.

I'll run through my turn tonight.
NickAragua, disregard that turn I sent you. Pyperkub just got on board. He'll be white (who wants to be called "yellow" in a war) and go first. I'll get to it after I shovel out.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The giant hammer on my coat of arms is perfect.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 pm The giant hammer on my coat of arms is perfect.
Glad you approve.
Now praying for equitable starting position for all.
First turn sent to Pyperkub.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I haven't received an e-mail with the game file yet. I'm guessing I should have?
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

You'll get an email from NickAragua when it's your turn.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 pm Biggest issue was not being able to find the time to build a custom side. Sorry folks.
I could assign you the same army as Zenn7, and do a quick reset?
I'd give you a couple tips on my army but with your game knowledge, I should be asking you for tips, not giving them! :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hmm. Keeps trying to install directplay

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:38 pm Hmm. Keeps trying to install directplay
figured it out - need to quit skype to launch successfully.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:38 pm Hmm. Keeps trying to install directplay
WOOT!

So you should be able to play your turn and mail it to whoever's next. Which brings up a question - how do you know who to mail it to?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Of course, then the mouse didn't work. Gonna try again tomorrow morning

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:05 am Of course, then the mouse didn't work. Gonna try again tomorrow morning
After I switched the config file to the settings Dave Allen recommended, my mouse doesn't work at first either. Have to Alt-Tab (just once) and then it works. Don't know if that will help you, but worth a shot.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

worked on the desktop (was trying the surface pro before).

Turn sent to Nick!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 am
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:17 pm
WOOT!

So you should be able to play your turn and mail it to whoever's next. Which brings up a question - how do you know who to mail it to?
Game will tell you the next player's email address (and dump it to a text file in the email directory with the turn file to be sent).

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Loading the game from the email file crashes to desktop.

Can you try to send the file to my gmail? Same address as my yahoo, except no underscore.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

OK

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

NickAragua wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm Loading the game from the email file crashes to desktop.
If you zip the file before sending, would that help?

PBEM instructions copied from LastCitadel:
"Typically game turn files are compressed with WinZip by the sender and have a .zip extension so you have to unzip it first. After unzipping an .eml file will appear. Copy it to Game\Email directory and launch the game. From the menu, select Load Game. Choose EMail Game game type at the Load Game window. The name of your turn file will appear in the list. Select it, press Okay button and the game will be loaded."

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

This one shows up as an attachment ("OODLR1_P3_T1.eml"), so it's possible that yahoo's built in anti-virus (::snicker::) is wiping it out from an abundance of caution. Pyperkub, can you try compressing it first?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dave Allen wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:58 pm
NickAragua wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm Loading the game from the email file crashes to desktop.
If you zip the file before sending, would that help?

PBEM instructions copied from LastCitadel:
"Typically game turn files are compressed with WinZip by the sender and have a .zip extension so you have to unzip it first. After unzipping an .eml file will appear. Copy it to Game\Email directory and launch the game. From the menu, select Load Game. Choose EMail Game game type at the Load Game window. The name of your turn file will appear in the list. Select it, press Okay button and the game will be loaded."
zipped this time.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

That worked.

Too bad zipping files won't make me any good at the game. :D

El Guapo's up next, turn sent.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So, are we playing 4v4,or king of the items?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Took my turn, sent the next turn to Zenn7. On the second try! Zenn7 ignore the first turn - I accidentally sent the wrong turn file at first.

ALSO - I managed to get my first hero killed already, since I didn't realize that she wasn't bringing the army units with her unless I selected them all first. Oh well - when am I going to get a new hero, out of curiosity?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn completed and sent to Ralph-Wiggum.

Pyperkub - we were originally going for king of the hill, and we only have 7 people, so 4v4 would leave one team at a distinct disadvantage, so hopefully we didn't switch to that.

The Guap - heroes will come along periodically, randomly - but you have to have enough money to hire them (usually in the 900-1300 range). They will have some allies (1 or more) with them (allies - from your list of troops you selected for allies). I am about 80 turns into a large map game, think I've had around 10 heroes offer to show up. They must not offer a hero if you don't have the money as I've never been offered a hero, magic item or mercenaries that cost more than I have.

Very important - make sure you are selecting all the troops you want (if you have at least 1 unit selected, clicking on the square on the map selects everything in the square).

Quick tactical note - pretty much always pillage. You destroy whatever production the city could make that you can't make (it's not on your main army list - mercs and allies do not count, only your main 8 army units), and get something like 1/2 the value in gold. Only sack if you really need to - sack destroys all production, including things you could have produced (things in your main army list). Depending on what's there, you may not see a gold difference (and this may be common - if no one else has the troops you have). Since 2 of you have a clone of my army, we may not be pillaging each other much... :)

Also, don't be like me and forget to get a quest for your starting hero! <DOH!> Quests give you XP and often very useful rewards.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Turn completed and sent on. And my hero didn't die, so feeling good about myself. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Except just saw the note about not forgetting to get a quest for the hero. I didn't get a quest. Now feeling less good about myself.
Black Lives Matter