Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Warlords III: Darklords Rising just released...

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 62 sent to Ralph.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

GOG just got M.U.L.E. ($5.99).
Would it be possible to pass around a restore file to PBEM?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Turn 63 to Nick.

Never played M.U.L.E.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 63 sent to Ralph.

Have to say I like where we're fighting at now much better than where we were a couple turns ago. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Turn 64 to Nick - still getting hosed. Grrr.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My troops have been getting decimated. Unfortunately I’m not sure there’s any way to see if they’re at least thinning out the other army. Fortunately, I have a lot more troops where those came from.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:51 pm Turn 64 to Nick - still getting hosed. Grrr.
My paranoia is showing. [everyone is out to get me]
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 am
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:51 pm Turn 64 to Nick - still getting hosed. Grrr.
It's not paranoia if it's true.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:18 pm
Dave Allen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 am
It's not paranoia if it's true.
I thought it was "Just because your paranoid does not mean they are not really out to get you."?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 64 sent to Ralph.

Dave - there's a lot less of "all of us" out to get you. Not after you slaughtered several of my units units.

At least I'm in no danger of upkeep exceeding revenue any time soon... <sigh>
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 pm At least I'm in no danger of upkeep exceeding revenue any time soon... <sigh>
Hmm. That gives me an idea.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:59 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 pm At least I'm in no danger of upkeep exceeding revenue any time soon... <sigh>
Hmm. That gives me an idea.
NickAragua wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:07 am Hit his support structure instead.
Think I can guess your idea... ;)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

turn 65 to nick.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sent turn 65 to Ralph this morning.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

turn 66 to nick. I am still getting majorly hosed.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 66 sent to Ralph.

Pyperkub - how are you getting majorly hosed every round? Your status does not see to have changed much in the last 5 rounds? Granted it sucked 5 rounds ago, but it's not getting any worse.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ten plus turns without a new hero.

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Turn 67 to him :cry: without hero.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Turn 67 to Nick!

On the good news side, my Bruins are *still* dancing!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Now if the main antagonist of the story had another hero even remotely similar in capabilities, then we'd basically need to call the game.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 67 to Ralph.

Are we all driving toward's Dave's empire and so far, failing miserably at doing anything other than possibly tying up his hero stack? Somewhat stalemated?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, basically. The hero stack wipes out anything it engages with zero casualties, but if he takes it too far out, then his cities are forfeit.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:57 am Yeah, basically. The hero stack wipes out anything it engages with zero casualties, but if he takes it too far out, then his cities are forfeit.
Yup.
I figure the Hoomans have the other artifacts, but I did a lousy job of exploring, and can't tell how far I need to extend myself.
Nick, could bring them a little closer so I can at least see them?

nicjonson

Post by nicjonson »

Hi everyone, I am new here. I have never tried this game, is it really good?
be safe stay healthy
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

nicjonson wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 am Hi everyone, I am new here. I have never tried this game, is it really good?
Welcome to the OO forums, Nic. Goodness is quite subjective these days, friend. But, if you want to protect a PC strategy game that has long resided on the "endangered species" list, W3:DLR is a great place to start.

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:22 am
nicjonson wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 am Hi everyone, I am new here. I have never tried this game, is it really good?
Welcome to the OO forums, Nic. Goodness is quite subjective these days, friend. But, if you want to protect a PC strategy game that has long resided on the "endangered species" list, W3:DLR is a great place to start.
I've been playing since Warlords "1". Number 3 is a great game. The graphics are severely dated, but play is fast and easy to understand.

These guys play the "Capture the Flag" win condition. I only tried that once. Didn't much care for it. I like the random maps the best. You never know what you're going to get.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Turn 68 sent to Ralph.

This sort of game isn't about graphics - as long as you can recognize what stuff is easily enough, that's the main thing.
It's strategy and some degree of balance in the options. Lots of fun in those 2 regards.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've only played it since the OO game got going and it's fine, but I think there are better games out there that scratch the same itch. I don't really care that much about the graphics, but the interface isn't always intuitive and information isn't always clearly presented (if at all), say, for example, what troops your armies killed in battles that occurred during someone else's turn.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:20 am I've only played it since the OO game got going and it's fine, but I think there are better games out there that scratch the same itch.
AoW3 seems like the only worthy PBEM fantasy wargame that is quick and easy to understand like Warlords.
This reddit post mentions things like our curent game:

As for settings. All settings are up for discussion, but if no one wishes for anything, these are my goto settings for a 6-8 player game:
The map: Medium map with underground, continents, all terrian variables set to average.
The inhabitants: Roads few, cities average, dwellings average, defenders set to strong, roaming units average, all structures and treasures set to average.
The starting stuff: Average starting distance, settler start with average units, no starting skills or spells.
Victory conditions: Conquest, 3 beacons, 60 seal points, allied victory on (in my opinion diplomacy is a part of the game).
Turn timer: 2 days.

With that said, I have never played an AoW3's PBEM game. Has anyone?
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:20 am I don't really care that much about the graphics, but the interface isn't always intuitive and information isn't always clearly presented (if at all), say, for example, what troops your armies killed in battles that occurred during someone else's turn.
I think AoW3 addresses these issues.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:19 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:20 am I've only played it since the OO game got going and it's fine, but I think there are better games out there that scratch the same itch.
AoW3 seems like the only worthy PBEM fantasy wargame that is quick and easy to understand like Warlords.
This reddit post mentions things like our curent game:

As for settings. All settings are up for discussion, but if no one wishes for anything, these are my goto settings for a 6-8 player game:
The map: Medium map with underground, continents, all terrian variables set to average.
The inhabitants: Roads few, cities average, dwellings average, defenders set to strong, roaming units average, all structures and treasures set to average.
The starting stuff: Average starting distance, settler start with average units, no starting skills or spells.
Victory conditions: Conquest, 3 beacons, 60 seal points, allied victory on (in my opinion diplomacy is a part of the game).
Turn timer: 2 days.

With that said, I have never played an AoW3's PBEM game. Has anyone?
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:20 am I don't really care that much about the graphics, but the interface isn't always intuitive and information isn't always clearly presented (if at all), say, for example, what troops your armies killed in battles that occurred during someone else's turn.
I think AoW3 addresses these issues.
The problem for me w/ AoW3 (or other games like it) as PBEM is that you can't fight out the tactical battles (or only the active player can, so defenders are screwed). That makes a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of your troops in many cases. With Warlord III or the Dominions series, there is no tactical combat to control, so there is no loss of effectiveness in the combats.

That said, and the fact that I've only played a limited amount of AoW3, and nothing recent, I'd be up for PBEM or other style with other games besides just Warlords3. Not sure if people can handle more than 1 game at a time (I could handle 2-3 games, but probably not more).
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I've never played W3 with PBEM. But isn't there a replay feature?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am The problem for me w/ AoW3 (or other games like it) as PBEM is that you can't fight out the tactical battles (or only the active player can, so defenders are screwed). That makes a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of your troops in many cases. With Warlord III or the Dominions series, there is no tactical combat to control, so there is no loss of effectiveness in the combats.
That probably explains why AoW3's community has an ongoing PBEM patch.
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am That said, and the fact that I've only played a limited amount of AoW3, and nothing recent, I'd be up for PBEM or other style with other games besides just Warlords3. Not sure if people can handle more than 1 game at a time (I could handle 2-3 games, but probably not more).
I have not played much either. I'm up for it, too.
I'd rather wait for resolution to this game, but if someone else were to setup an AoW3 PBEM game... :wink:
I would also be interested in another W3 PBEM (not capture the flag) game setup by Veteran Fardaza.
Fardaza wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 pm I've never played W3 with PBEM. But isn't there a replay feature?
No there isn't. I think this was the essential complaint Mr. Wiggum recently posted.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am That said, and the fact that I've only played a limited amount of AoW3, and nothing recent, I'd be up for PBEM or other style with other games besides just Warlords3. Not sure if people can handle more than 1 game at a time (I could handle 2-3 games, but probably not more).
I'd rather wait for resolution to this game, but if someone else were to setup an AoW3 PBEM game... :wink:
I would also be interested in another W3 PBEM (not capture the flag) game setup by Veteran Fardaza.
I'd be up for another W3 PBEM game as well if anyone is inclined to set up another one.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Turn 69 to Pyperkub.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks like some massive armies are moving my way. Hopefully my rat hoards can hold them off....
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Dave Allen wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am The problem for me w/ AoW3 (or other games like it) as PBEM is that you can't fight out the tactical battles (or only the active player can, so defenders are screwed). That makes a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of your troops in many cases. With Warlord III or the Dominions series, there is no tactical combat to control, so there is no loss of effectiveness in the combats.
That probably explains why AoW3's community has an ongoing PBEM patch.
Fardaza wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 pm I've never played W3 with PBEM. But isn't there a replay feature?
No there isn't. I think this was the essential complaint Mr. Wiggum recently posted.
I'll have to look into it. I've never done a PBEM, let alone set one up.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

turn 69 to nick!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Niiice
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I don't have any to follow Bill and Ted (Pyperkub and Nick) with that's all that noteworthy so I'll settle with the boring old...

Turn 69 sent to Ralph.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sorry, it got hung up on me for a few days, been swamped.

Turn 70 to Nick!