Werewolf! The Original

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

OK, so that was the one I wasn't sure of. I'll be shocked if the other werewolf isn't who I think it is, though.

I think the manuevering in the last day really clinched it.

- Ash
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Here be spoilers:
Spoiler:

Play-by-play, day two:
  1. Ralph-Wiggum dies
  2. setaside accuses Crux(1)
  3. setaside withdraws accusation of Crux(0)
  4. Crux asserts that setaside is not the Seer
  5. Crux casts doubt on setaside
  6. Yankeeman84 suggests that Crux may be the Seer
  7. SIM accuses Yankeeman84(1)
  8. Yankeeman84 casts doubt on setaside
  9. CGMark casts doubt on Yankeeman84
  10. Yankeeman84 casts doubt on SIM
  11. setaside casts doubt on Yankeeman84
  12. Yankeeman84 vouches for Smutly
  13. gbasden casts doubt on Yankeeman84
  14. Crux accuses Yankeeman84(2)
  15. setaside vouches for Yankeeman84
  16. setaside casts doubt on SIM, gbasden, and CGMark
  17. gbasden accuses setaside(1)
  18. setaside accuses gbasden(1)
  19. setaside withdraws accusation of gbasden(0)
  20. CGMark accuses setaside(2)
  21. setaside accuses CGMark(1)
  22. Smutly accuses Yankeeman84(3)
  23. Yankeeman84 accuses setaside(3)
  24. setaside withdraws accusation of CGMark(0)
  25. setaside accuses Yankeeman84(4), consigning him to death!
Observations:
  • SIM, Crux, gbasden, Yankeeman84, CGMark, and Smutly didn't waver.
  • setaside wavered.
  • setaside wavered more than once.
  • Accused in this round: Crux, Yankeeman84, setaside, gbasden, CGMark
  • Not accused in this round: SIM, Smutly
  • Never accused: SIM, Smutly
  • Initiative-takers: SIM, gbasden, setaside
Notes:

With the revelation that Yankeeman84 was a furball, some previously fuzzy details come into focus. His wavering and wondering in both rounds seemed suspicious because it was suspicious. Since SIM, Crux, and Smutly were quick to accuse Yankeeman84 and failed to try to save him, they're also not werewolves-- (unless one of them is in sheep's clothing and sold out his comrade-- an unlikely scenario!).

Why isn't setaside a Werewolf who sold out his partner? After all, selling out one's partner to preserve one's own skin is the sort of thing one would ponder, over which one would vacillate, concerning which one might have mixed feelings. Setaside has conspicuously gone through those motions. However, setaside has cast the deciding vote in both rounds, which is consistent with extreme crowd-following behavior. If he is a werewolf, as Yankeeman84 was, it would not have made sense for his co-conspirator, Yankeeman84, to cast that third vote against setaside and thereby to force setaside to reciprocate and consign Yankeeman84 to death. Yankeeman84 and setaside would have realized that and jointly framed someone else. Setaside is not the other Werewolf.

If setaside is the Seer, he's certainly hiding that fact well. It seems likely that his brief endorsement of Yankeeman84 was the result of his being misled by someone who pretended to be the Seer (perhaps Yankeeman84 himself).

SIM has taken initiative in leveling an accusation each round. He changed his vote on the first day, but stood firm on the second. It is possible that he is the Seer.

More likely, Crux may be the Seer. He has devoted some energy to advising the Seer and speculating about the Seer; those maneuvers read like misdirection.

If neither SIM nor Smutly nor Crux nor setaside is a Werewolf (since each rightly accused Yankeeman84), CGMark or gbasden is a Werewolf. But which? CGMark's wavering has been all over the map, much like setaside's. In contrast, gbasden's has been more selective; after casting doubt on Yankeeman84, he accused setaside and stood firm. Likewise, his wavering between Ralph-Wiggum and tgb was simple, late, and safe.

Tough call, since CGMark could be engaged in misdirection, but it seems as if gbasden is the other Werewolf.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Smutly wrote:I'm sorry it came to this, YM... :)
Well, I gave it my best effort.

Again, thank you all for this and I hope to be back for round 2. This was very fun!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Cesare

Post by Cesare »

Spoiler:
dammit, one of my guesses was wrong. I'm still 90% sure about the 2nd werewolf. YM was acting weird but I figured he was the seer...
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Damn it - I knew I was right at the beginning. Yankeeman couldn't resist killing a Red Sox fan.

Why, oh why, did you protect YM, tgb? If not for that we might both still be alive.... :(
Like that wasn't completely obvious?! :P

Really, as soon as I died my guess was YM. I still am not sure who the other wolf is though.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

My guess is the other wolf was kelric, as Yankeeman was unable to keep from killing him just on principle despite being on the same side!!!!

:twisted:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Padre

Post by Padre »

IT IS DAY

A kind of victory had been achieved, but with that came certain knowledge also that the horror was not yet over.

Octopus-Over-Lordington awoke - but this time there was no mystery over who had died that night.

The head of Suitably Ironic Moniker, mouth agape in terror, bloodied and scratched, was planted in the town square, a grim and mocking trophy from a werewolf who was still out there somewhere.

But where?

-------------

You know the drill. Please put your votes and changes/withdrawals of votes clearly in bold. The required majority today is three.

REMAINING PLAYER LIST:

CGMark
smutly
setaside
Crux
gbasden
Crux

Post by Crux »

I am the Seer. And gbasden is the last werewolf.

Allow me to construct the sequence of events that has led me to this conclusion:

Night 1: I dreamed of Ralph Wiggum. He was man, all man. The fresh scent of Level 2000 filled my nostrils. He definitely didn't have that musty puppy-smell. Sadly Ralph was falsely accused, and we both had to fight to prevent his lynching. In the process he revealed his visitations from the Seer, and hence sealed his own death for that evening. We decided to vote for tgbjb because of his initial, unwavering accusation against Ralph, whom we knew to be innocent.

Here was where I took a gamble. It was early, and while we hadn't caught a werewolf yet, there were still plenty of villagers. I felt Suitably Ironic Moniker was 'clean' so I contacted him via pm and revealed myself. SiM helped turn the tide against RW.

Day 1: We lynched tgb. It was a mistake. You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette!

Night 2: I dreamed of YankeeMan. In my dreams, he was peeing on a fire hydrant and chewing on a human leg-bone. I've heard the first is a part of his usual mating ritual with human girls, but the second definitely marked him as a werewolf. Needless to say, poor Ralph was a dead man, as we expected.

Day 2: This was where things became tricky. SiM and I knew YM84 had to die, but we couldn't be too obvious in revealing it. I asked SiM to accuse YM84 first to protect myself as the Seer, and he was a good team player and did so. I was then able to support his accusation. But, there was too much side-action taking place. I knew smutly was clean the moment he voted for YM84 reasonably early in the process. I revealed myself to him as the Seer, and the fact I'm still alive today proves his innocence. But that left the gbasden/cgmark/setaside problem... setaide and cgmark were voting for each other, and gbasden was jumping on the bandwagon.

So I pmed setaside pretending that the Seer had pmed me and told me that cgmark was innocent, but that YM84 was not. He was dubious at first, but eventually came around. Meanwhile I asked SiM to pm gbasden and tell him the same thing (ie the seer had told SiM that setaside was innocent). It was a gamble, but I figured this would reveal the last werewolf one way or the other. I then sent a pm to gbasden again claiming the seer had contacted me.

As the debate continued, there was much pming in the background. After considering the facts, I then pmed setaside and told him I was the Seer. I did not reveal this to gbasden because now I was sure that either cgmark or gbasden was the werewolf. I figured that if I survived the night, who out of SiM and myself survived would reveal the werewolf (combined with my dream for the night).

Night 3: I dreamed of cgmark, and he was innocent. Meanwhile Ralph Wiggum died. This meant that there were only three possibilities:

setaside is the werewolf
smutly is the werewolf
gbasden is the werewolf

setaside and smutly both know me to be the seer, and yet I survived the night. gbasden did not, was contacted by SiM first at my request, and now SiM is dead.

So my vote, as the seer, is for gbasden to be lynched for his horrible crimes against the community!

PS. If I'm wrong and I die, then it must be setaside :D
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Man I am so IN for the next game.

Next, the moment of truth is now at hand for this village. The end game is near
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Crux

Post by Crux »

Just a quick note to add that I'm in a retreat for work all stinking day :P I'll try and check back here at lunchtime, but no promises. So if anyone needs to pm me to discuss their vote, that's why I won't reply until this afternoon!
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
setaside

Post by setaside »

gbasden, your foolish game is over. You will hang for trying to turn my paranoia against me.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

This is too good.

I'd like to play when you have the room.

BTW, some of you are vicious bastages. :wink:
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

A birdy tweets through the branches, warbling out its tune which to those not really paying attention but subconsiously sounds a bit like "Mad propz to Crux for a game well played..."

~Neal
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

OMG, I'm actually eating popcorn...slowly...while reading every word of the fate of the poor villagers! Crux! You're holding up the lives of TWO villages with your retreat! I certainly hope that Jesus saves you today.
(He may be the only one who can...)
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. "
Mae West
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

You know, I see this game run at Dragoncon every year but never get around to playing it. I'm going to have to give it a shot this year.

(yes Crux, that's right, live games of Werewolf being run in Atlanta Labor Day weekend.. you know you want to ;))
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Your logic is confusing. As I mentioned in my PM back to you, SIM sent me a PM claiming that the seer had told him that both Setaside was innocent, and Yankeeman was a werewolf. This is not possible for the seer to know unless Ralph had lied the first night about being contacted. This led me to believe that SIM was attempting to misdirect me, although your PM had me mostly convinced.

Padre had said he was absolutely going to bed, and the stalemate still stood when I left work. By the time I got home, setaside had changed his vote and Yankeeman was dead.

If I *were* the werewolf, why would I kill someone who was telling me things that couldn't be true? SIM was making claims that logically were questionable.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

The only thing remains is for gbasden to vote..

+1 this thread delivers!
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'll go back to my original vote, and accuse setaside
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I think it's clear. The only way to truly prove you are not, in fact, a werewolf is to be hung. If you are not a werewolf all will know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, and your name will be clear.

Truly, it is the only way.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

You could dip him in the river. If he floats, he's a witch and should be burned at the stake. If he sinks and drowns, he wasn't a witch, and you're all safe.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

CSL

Post by CSL »

BURN HIM!

Also, I am in for the next round as I stated before.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

CSL wrote:...I am in for the next round as I stated before.
I've been collecting the requests right over here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grundbegriff wrote:
CSL wrote:...I am in for the next round as I stated before.
I've been collecting the requests right over here.
According to your other post, I wonder what the proper ratio of wolves:villagers:seers is. Are there official rules for this anywhere? I know Mayfair puts out a party card version of this called Lupus in Tabula but I have never played it.
Padre

Post by Padre »

VOTES SO FAR:

CGMark - no vote yet
smutly - no vote yet
setaside - gbasden
Crux - gbasden
gbasden - setaside
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm back, everyone. :)

My vote and original assertion still stands. gbasden is clearly the werewolf. String him up! :evil:
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Crux wrote:I'm back, everyone. :)

My vote and original assertion still stands. gbasden is clearly the werewolf. String him up! :evil:
Your morning treatise said, that if you're wrong, then it's setaside. That's not very "clearly".
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Bakhtosh wrote:
Crux wrote:I'm back, everyone. :)

Your morning treatise said, that if you're wrong, then it's setaside. That's not very "clearly".
It is clear. But there is some small room for error. Right now I'd call it about a 98% probability it is gbasden, and about a 2% chance it is setaside. As I've stated above, I know cgmark is clean. I know smutly is clean. That only leaves two, and it wouldn't make sense for Setaside to have not eliminated me last night. It makes complete sense for gbasden to have eliminated SiM.
Crux

Post by Crux »

gbasden wrote:Your logic is confusing. As I mentioned in my PM back to you, SIM sent me a PM claiming that the seer had told him that both Setaside was innocent, and Yankeeman was a werewolf. This is not possible for the seer to know unless Ralph had lied the first night about being contacted. This led me to believe that SIM was attempting to misdirect me, although your PM had me mostly convinced.

Padre had said he was absolutely going to bed, and the stalemate still stood when I left work. By the time I got home, setaside had changed his vote and Yankeeman was dead.

If I *were* the werewolf, why would I kill someone who was telling me things that couldn't be true? SIM was making claims that logically were questionable.
Nice try. But no cigar. Only a retarded werewolf wouldn't kill the seer once they know who he/she is. You were the only possible werewolf last night who didn't know I am the seer. And I'm still alive ;)
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

I will stand by the vote for Gbadsen

I will stand by the vote of Crux, even if I am not sure he is the seer. the logic to me seems confusing.

Know this though. If we hang Gbadsen tonight, and find him innocent. It will be your neck in the noose tomorrow.
Crux

Post by Crux »

CGMark wrote:I will stand by the vote for Gbadsen

A wise choice :)

Now I just hope we did not, indeed, have a retarded werewolf! :D
Padre

Post by Padre »

While poor sumtly had seemingly been unable to gather his thoughts, the crowd had mae up his mind, and gbasden it was to be.

Breath was held, loins were girded, each man rapt with attention as gbasden was forced onto the gallows.

FINAL VOTE TALLY:

CGMark - gbasden
smutly - no vote submitted
setaside - gbasden
Crux - gbasden
gbasden - setaside

A good hangman can kill quickly and cleanly, but the villagers remaing were not good hangmen, and they watched with grisly fascination as he struggled, gasped, choked, and finally fell silent.

Silence...

And then the change! Twisting through many horrible intermediate forms, the truth was now unmistakable - gbasden was a werewolf all along!

The nightmare was finally over, the curse lifted, and the remainin villagers could live their lives in peace.

---------------------------------------

Well done, everyone, well played!

I'll have some post match analysis later on, but for now, I open the floor to any kind of commentary from anyone at all, even the erstwhile dead.

IT IS NIGHT... BUT NO ONE DIES
setaside

Post by setaside »

Crux wrote:Now I just hope we did not, indeed, have a retarded werewolf! :D
Heh. If your werewolf is indeed retarded, it might fit the profile as I spent enough time fumbling around with my accusations yesterday. :oops:

If you are truly confident that it's either me or gbasden however, you've most assuredly made the correct choice.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Man. Good game everyone!

I have to give kudos to gbasden. He really did a good job of faking me out last night. In truth, if smutly had not voted to Yankeeman so early in the process then I couldn't have narrowed it down.

To be honest, I'm really surprised you didn't kill me last night. After RW I figured I would be the next to go :P

EDIT: Great kudos to SiM also. He was an awesome team player, and was willing to take one for the team there by sending the pm he did. That was, I believe, the smokescreen that allowed me to live another night, and hence let us win the game. Good job! And poor Ralph. You'll be missed :D
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Oh no, you mean Kelric can talk again? ;)

When does the next game start?

- Ash
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Padre wrote:So, talk! Accuse! Lie! Persuade!

Do it here where we can all see you, it's more fun. I can't ban PMs between you, but it's more fun if everyone sees :).
But clearly Crux's devious strategy would not nearly have worked so well if private communication was not used. It's too bad, because in the general case I'd agree that it's more fun for us kibbitzers were we to have all the information at our fingertips, but I can't see getting to the bottom of things without going the PM route.

Fun game, Padre. Thanks for bringing it to our boards.

~Neal
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Nice.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If we're going for a massive game, I'll be in the next if I'm needed. If there's no room, no sweat.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Meal wrote:
Padre wrote:So, talk! Accuse! Lie! Persuade!

Do it here where we can all see you, it's more fun. I can't ban PMs between you, but it's more fun if everyone sees :).
But clearly Crux's devious strategy would not nearly have worked so well if private communication was not used. It's too bad, because in the general case I'd agree that it's more fun for us kibbitzers were we to have all the information at our fingertips, but I can't see getting to the bottom of things without going the PM route.

~Neal
So true. Without pms your strategies are severely limited. In truth though, pms work both ways. The werewolves can use them to great advantage, bringing the seer into disrepute.

I think perhaps the only rule regarding the pms should be no screenshotting them. The game should all be he-said, she-said.
Padre

Post by Padre »

The Meal wrote: But clearly Crux's devious strategy would not nearly have worked so well if private communication was not used. It's too bad, because in the general case I'd agree that it's more fun for us kibbitzers were we to have all the information at our fingertips, but I can't see getting to the bottom of things without going the PM route.
Indeed, I never meant to ban PMing and anticipated a lot of it, I just wanted to ensure there was SOME banter here on the main thread. Looks like I needn't have worried, the game went off pretty much perfectly.
Thank you!