Grundbegriff's Gallows: Bad Moon Rising

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Grundbegriff's Gallows: Bad Moon Rising

Post by Grundbegriff »

I'm consulting with the Randomly Chosen Ones. As soon as all that jazz is tight, we'll get going.
  1. Al
  2. Arnir
  3. DocD
  4. Gryndyl
  5. Lars
  6. Ralph-Wiggum
  7. Suitably Ironic Moniker
  8. Yankeeman84
  9. Zaxxon
  10. setaside
  11. st_dysan
  12. tgb
House Rules (Adapted from Padre's instructions):

CAST:

The game involves 12 villagers living in the same remote backwater.

9 of the villagers are Innocents.
1 of the villagers is a Seer.
2 of the villagers are Werewolves!

I have assigned these roles at random by tossing a d12 across the room.

CYCLE:

The game begins at night, while the village sleeps. Each night, the 2 Werewolves conspire to murder an Innocent. Each night, the Seer, if still alive, receives a vision (by asking me "Is X a werewolf?"-- a question I will answer truthfully).

Each dawn, the village will awaken to discover the mauled corpse of the prior night's victim. All living villagers will then have a chance to select one of their number to lynch.

To vote, place the name of the accused in boldface. Nothing else is a vote.

Lynching goes by majority rule. Changing votes is possible only until a majority is reached. (If you're in the plurality and you want to change your vote, change it before that decisive vote is cast!) Once a majority is reached, the accused will be hanged by the neck until dead! Voting is not required, but night will not fall until the village hangs someone high.

I will announce the latest news at dawn and dusk (gametime) to mark the cycle.

CLUES and RULES:

I will reveal the identity of the nightly victim. I will reveal the nature (Innocent xor Werewolf) of the hanged. I will not reveal whether the hanged is the Seer.

I will provide no clues in the thread, and none outside the thread other than one morsel of advice nightly to a living Seer.

Anyone alive may say anything to anyone else at any time, even during the night.

Nobody dead may say anything to anyone at any time.

Anyone may PM me for clarification of the rules.

Within the fiction, lies, feints, subterfuges, forgeries, misdirections, or charades are both permitted and encouraged!

Posting in the thread is strongly encouraged. Private Messages (PMs) are also fine.

SWEET, SWEET VICTORY

The Innocents/Seer team wins if they kill all the Werewolves.

The Werewolf team wins if the number of non-Werewolves equals the number of Werewolves.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't know what on earth is going on in this post, but I feel left out.
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Arnir enjoys his day running the village's sensual massage for hot women only. Can life possibly get any better than this?
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

How'd you get the sensual massage parlor? I got stuck with the dry-cleaning hut. I call shenanigans, Grund.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

El Guapo wrote:I don't know what on earth is going on in this post, but I feel left out.
Get 'im, boys!

~Neal
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Man, I get reincarnated after my brutal mauling at the claws of a werewolf only to end up in another village of the damned; I knew there was a reason that this house was so cheap. People, don't ever move to Tarker's Mill!!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Man, I get reincarnated after my brutal mauling at the claws of a werewolf only to end up in another village of the damned; I knew there was a reason that this house was so cheap. People, don't ever move to Tarker's Mill!!
Unless you have or are a hot wife. Then please move on in and meet the friendly community. We are very friendly, but please note that leash laws are firmly enforced.

Zaxxon, somebody's got to clean the blue dress! :wink:
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Al

Pre-lit torches half off!

Post by Al »

Pitchforks! Torches! Get yer pitchforks and torches here! Can't have a village mob without your pitchforks and torches!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Arnir wrote:Zaxxon, somebody's got to clean the blue dress! :wink:
I must protest; they don't even have a net connection in my hut o' cleaning. Ugh.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

PS - I hope that my fellow villagers, male, married, understand that I do not take any customers from the local village. They have to be out of towners as I would never, ever, do anything to harm anyone's marital standing in the town. Honest. Really. Why are you all looking at me like that?
Grundbegriff

Re: Pre-lit torches half off!

Post by Grundbegriff »

Al wrote:Pitchforks! Torches! Get yer pitchforks and torches here! Can't have a village mob without your pitchforks and torches!
I hear this in the voice of the "Come get your sacred objects" guy from Outcast. :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:How'd you get the sensual massage parlor? I got stuck with the dry-cleaning hut. I call shenanigans, Grund.
Unfortunately, the same person does the dry cleaning and the sensual massage. :shock:

And she's my wife. :x
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:How'd you get the sensual massage parlor? I got stuck with the dry-cleaning hut. I call shenanigans, Grund.
Unfortunately, the same person does the dry cleaning and the sensual massage. :shock:

And she's my wife. :x
I AM NOT YOUR WIFE!!!

Well, that does explain a few things.. :wink:
Grundbegriff

Overture

Post by Grundbegriff »

Darkness falls on Meretrix Meadows. One by one, the humble villagers undertake mundane rituals that mark the end of another earnest day of labor. Covering the embers, laying out the next day's clothes, and throwing open a window to give entry to the cool night air, the innocents fold their hands and lapse into gentle slumber.

But not all are innocents. Three Meretricious Meadowsians are transacting recondite business beneath the harvest moon.

Two of these three are infected, cursed, and condemned-- human only in seeming and only by day. The last of these three is inspired, blessed, and perhaps also condemned, for on this one falls the burden of saving the people from werewolves-- and from each other!

Sleep, O Villagers, but do not dream long, for a bad moon is rising! Today was peace, but tomorrow is blood!
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Voice from Arnir's house.

"Honey, close the window, I'm cold." "Sorry, dear, but you know that I need the fresh air. Keeping the window open is healthy......"

(BTW, the werewolves have to be out of towners as nobody in this town knows what recondite means.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Arnir wrote:nobody in this town knows what recondite means.
... and that is why many shall perish. ;)
tgb

Post by tgb »

tgb sleeps the sleep of the pure, knowing that an innocent man would never be hung twice.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Arnir wrote:(BTW, the werewolves have to be out of towners as nobody in this town knows what recondite means.
You crack me up, Arnir.

I can't sleep. In-between dry-cleaning loads I've been reading the parchment, and apparently sleeping hasn't worked out so well for this other village nearby. :shock:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

tgb wrote:tgb sleeps the sleep of the pure, knowing that an innocent man would never be hung twice.
Heh. Willing to bet on that? :)
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Finally, I get another chance to grow tobacco with R-W.

Sleepy time.
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Lars

Post by Lars »

I'm the new guy in town that nobody knows.

I'm a freaking dead man. :cry:
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

tgb wrote:tgb sleeps the sleep of the pure, knowing that an innocent man would never be hung twice.
But were you ever well hung?

Zaxxon,

Recondite, erudite, Bud Lite, what's the difference? And watch the starch, next time, okay? Get to bed, only the undead try to stay up all night. (Cue horror music).

Lars,
Are you the guy who wears the red pullover and those black pants and boots? Do you stand behind the guys with lots of lines and pose? Yes? Sorry. Tell your wife that I offer widow specials.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Arnir wrote:
Lars,
Are you the guy who wears the red pullover and those black pants and boots? Do you stand behind the guys with lots of lines and pose? Yes? Sorry. Tell your wife that I offer widow specials.
No, you must have me confused with Ralph-Wiggum. I'm the guy that hangs out by the town well, drinking Thunderbird and touching myself when I get bored. Which is pretty much all the time, because let's face it, the well isn't all that exciting.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Lars wrote:
Arnir wrote:
Lars,
No, you must have me confused with Ralph-Wiggum. I'm the guy that hangs out by the town well, drinking Thunderbird and touching myself when I get bored. Which is pretty much all the time, because let's face it, the well isn't all that exciting.
Lars,

I knew Ralph-Wiggum. Ralph-Wiggum was an acquaintance of mine. You, sir, are no Ralph-Wiggum. How could you let your self-esteem get so low to even consider that you two could be confused for each other? Get a grip, man! Now go back to sleep. And stop touching yourself near the well. I hate having to strain and then boil the well water every day.
setaside

Post by setaside »

I tell ya what, it's good to be outta that blasted town! We had a furrie problem like you wouldn't believe. I'm pretty sure we got all of the beasts, though. I hope.
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Damn....and I thought being hung once was fine enough
The Saint
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

So our village has sensual massage, dry cleaning, tobacco farmers and a guy touching himself by the well?

We're doomed :shock:
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Gryndyl wrote:So our village has sensual massage, dry cleaning, tobacco farmers and a guy touching himself by the well?

We're doomed :shock:
Not so hasty..the guy touching himself is our Seer
The Saint
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yankeeman84 wrote:Finally, I get another chance to grow tobacco with R-W.
I hope that's not a euphemism. :shock:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

As day begins to flow over Meretrix Meadows, villagers unfold themselves like fresh napkins and set about the morning's business. All seems well until shortly after Second Yawn, when one unremarkable villager notices a trail of blood leading from the home at the end of the lane. The villager approaches warily, opens the door (for every threshold is unguarded in this trusting community), and peeks within.

Shrieks of disgust draw a crowd. Before long, every villager has filed by to view the horror that lies within: the shattered and shredded body of Arnir spread across the hearth like an unholy banquet of Swedish deep tissue.

Who could have done so foul a deed? Under examination, the wounds utter a word that none wants to hear: "Werewolves!" The outraged villagers demand justice, and this time, tar, feathers, and bridal veils just won't do.

Somebody must pay, and the pay must be meet.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Damn, and I had a sensual massage scheduled too.
Al

Operator? Get me the number to 911!

Post by Al »

Ralph, get your Dad! There's a murderer afoot!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

A murder?

"Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows
everything thats wonderful is what I feel
when we're together"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gryndyl wrote:Damn, and I had a sensual massage scheduled too.
I'd offer to dry-clean your rags, but it's just not the same. :(
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Well...I guess I won't get to wear my new drag outfit I just bought...Sensual message cancelled...Maybe I'll hit the local liquor store and go visit Lars....Zzzzziiiippppppp
The Saint
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Even though I'm reticent about starting the lynching discussion (as I don't want people to think I'm a werewolf and lynch me), let's get this party started. I'm going to be gone for most of the afternoon after ~12:15 EST, so if we're going to string someone up we should get started.

Personally, it's too early to know who's a werewolf/seer/villager. So we have to go purely on gut instinct. Unfortunately, my guts have no feelings at the moment. So someone tell me who I should vote for. :wink:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Having come from the same town as Ralph-wiggum, I can unequivacably say that neither he nor I are werewolves. I look to the Seer for verification.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And I can equivocally say that tgb isn't a werewolf. :wink:
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Wow...way early to be forming alliances...But having posted right next to R-W and tgb...I can vouch for myself..just a normal villager..half drunk with fly open..
The Saint
setaside

Post by setaside »

Hmm ... too early to make an accusation but this is all I've been able to come up with so far. Arnir, who apparently didn't have too many friends among the men of the village due to his profession, has been slain. I've been witness to a few comments over the last couple of days that have made me question a fellow villagers motives. I'd like to hear more from this villager.
Zaxxon wrote:
Arnir wrote:Zaxxon, somebody's got to clean the blue dress! :wink:
I must protest; they don't even have a net connection in my hut o' cleaning. Ugh.
As you can see, Zaxxon appears to be jealous of Arnir's lot in life. Could this be enough to drive Zaxxon to furry murder? I don't know. Perhaps it was the last jape that Arnir was ever able to make that pushed Zaxxon over the edge?
Arnir wrote: Zaxxon,

Recondite, erudite, Bud Lite, what's the difference? And watch the starch, next time, okay? Get to bed, only the undead try to stay up all night. (Cue horror music).
I don't know the answers to these questions. But they are interesting ones.