Grundbegriff's Gallows: Bad Moon Rising

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

docD

Post by docD »

I've had time to think it over and after Zaxxon's revelation I'm going to vote to hangSuitably Ironic Moniker. Zaxxon has made me quite sure that RW is the seer and a lot of things make sense now.

docD
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I cast my vote for SIM. He is a man-beast and has caused much death and many heartaches.

Death to him. Death to SIM!!!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I guess I'm the only one that finds RW's PM fishy. :(
Al

I hope I voted the right way...

Post by Al »

I'm not sure I buy Ralph's PM at face value. I think that at best he's either drawing fire for the seer or at worst you're right and he's a wolf.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I expected that you'd find my PM fishy. I even wrote in that original PM:
I will understand if you distrust me (I would do the same), but if you vote for SIM you'll see the proof soon enough. And there's no reason for me to PM you with a lie like this since you'd see soon enough that I was lying (which would mean I'm a werewolf) and you would have me lynched
What I didn't expect was for you (if you weren't a werewolf) to out me as the seer.

As soon as Grund gets back to the thread we'll see that SIM was a werewolf and then I'll be killed during the night. I'm pretty much resigned to that fact. But even if you end up not being a werewolf, I think that the remaining 6 players will have plenty of time to find the last wolf.

edit: I'm going now to a poker game and won't be back for a number of hours. I expect to be dead by the time I make it back. It's been fun everyone. Good luck to the rest of the villagers.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

(
Al -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(4)
docD -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(5)!
Gryndyl -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(2)
Lars -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(1)
Ralph-Wiggum -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(3)
st_dysan -> Ralph-Wiggum(1)
Suitably Ironic Moniker -> Ralph-Wiggum(3)
Yankeeman84 -> Suitably Ironic Moniker(6)
Zaxxon -> Ralph-Wiggum(2)
)
With chants of "T-G-B! T-G-B!" the outraged throng clamors past allegations and beyond obfuscation, determined that justice be done. The burliest among them seize Suitably Ironic Moniker, the suspected dissembler, and drag him to the town square where every Meretricious Meadowsian's day had begun.

One by one, with cries of "Monster!" and "Werewolf!", they claw ribbons of skin from his face and arms. Grasping hands shred his clothing. As he huddles in a mass near the well, casting a fearful but feral look at his tormenters, the villagers pass in pairs and spit on him, cursing his birth and informing him that his judgment has come.

One of the elders brings forth a mighty stone hammer. Swinging again and again, each time with a sickening crack, he pulverizes one of Suitably Ironic Moniker's legs. This macabre task achieved, the villagers then gather their prey, stifle his agonized screams with shreds of his own clothing, and carry him to the tree upon the hill past the corn field. There, they sling his shattered leg over a low limb and tie it down with twine.

Slowly, deliberately, each has his turn with the sledgehammer. The dangling form of the accused sways erratically, and the hammer's dull pounding seems to continue well beyond his life itself.

Some in the crowd begin to entertain doubts as they gaze at what was once Suitably Ironic Moniker, now maimed beyond recognition.

Nevertheless, as the last judge swings away at the dripping, lacerated form, a still more gruesome transformation begins. Split, swollen flesh becomes tautly braided muscle and bloodied skin sprouts thick clumps of matted fur. Where once stood his badly shattered teeth, fangs break forth. Eyes lacking a soul turn thick, masked, and glassy.

With knowing glances at one another, the villagers dwell for a moment in the satisfaction that they had indeed discerned the truth and delivered a suitable retribution. But complacency quickly turns to caution. Was he the only werewolf? Would they sleep in peace at last this night, or awaken tomorrow to further horror?

One passed undercover among them. Mightn't another?

Later, as the throb of cicadas fades away and the too-full moon rides high into the sky, every soul in Meretrix Meadows lies clenched like a fist beneath the bedclothes.
Al

My conviction is an arrow already in flight...

Post by Al »

Your treachery ends tomorrow, Zaxxon.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: My conviction is an arrow already in flight...

Post by Zaxxon »

Al wrote:Your treachery ends tomorrow, Zaxxon.
So I might have been wrong about SIM. Crap.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Day dawns in Meretrix Meadows. Each in the tiny village had tried to stay up through the night in hopes, however futile, of fending off a savage beast.

Only one was tasked that night with fighting for his life. Boldly he fought, though not for long.

Each villager arises, somewhat surprised to find himself alive, and peeks warily out his window. Each discovers scattered before his home fragments of Ralph-Wiggum's flesh.

What remains, gnawed to the bone, lies awkwardly crumpled in the town square.
Al

...Your life will only last until it reaches you

Post by Al »

Zaxxon's treachery ends today.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Zaxxon must die!

Death to the BEAST!

GO HOKIES!!!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

He who smelt it, dealt it. Al has played us for fools, but shall now die.
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

In a ghostly voice, Arnir speaks from the grave. Or the stomach. "Finally, you got one. SIM, what did I ever do to you?"

Oh yeah, "Ooo Eee Ooo"
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Al

Can't blame you. It's the only play left in the book.

Post by Al »

Zaxxon wrote:He who smelt it, dealt it.
HA! For a werewolf, you're pretty funny.
docD

Post by docD »

Somebody bring a rope it's tme to hang ZAXXON

docD
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Yep, going to have to string Zaxxon up for this one
Lars

Post by Lars »

Grendyl knows of what he speaks. Even though my vote means nothing at this point in time, Zaxxon needs to be strung up post-haste!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

(
Al -> Zaxxon(1)
docD -> Zaxxon(3)
Gryndyl -> Zaxxon(4)!
Lars -> Zaxxon(5)
st_dysan ->
Yankeeman84 -> Zaxxon(2)
Zaxxon -> Al(1)
)

Good st_dysan had falsely accused Ralph-Wiggum, only to learn too late of the latter's innocence. Now, weighing the week's dark happenings, he feels he must soon return to the cathedral. He wants no more dealings with death. But today is not his day. Today there is work to be done. Today, there will be no mistake.

Joining st_dysan at the end of the lane, docD slowly caresses the scratchy coils of a thick hemp noose. "Look what Al made. He knows how to coil 'em tight." As they stare with purpose across the cornfield, Yankeeman84 joins them. The three wait in silence. After a while, Lars and docD arrive bearing the bound, writhing body of Zaxxon.

"You're making a mistake!" Zaxxon cries, flailing impotently in the secure grip of his captors. "You're killing an innocent man!"

"I'm sure you know a lot about killing innocents, Zaxxon." The seemingly disembodied voice blazes a trail through the overgrown corn as a speaker approaches. "For Arnir." Al and docD share a glance. "For setaside." Magnified silence, punctuated by the rustling of corn leaves. "For Ralph-Wiggum." Finally, Gryndyl bustles forth from among the stalks. "No more lies, you spawn of deceit! Ours will not be a savage retribution. We walk in truth-- and stand on the steady ground of justice!"

"No! N-" Zaxxon sucks in his breath. "Nooooooo!"

"Snap snap, puppy!" Gryndyl replies cuttingly. "I saw Suitably Ironic Moniker, and I also saw you. However, blinded by your fury, you didn't see me. This is why you are now delivered into our hands. Your days are now at an end, foul beast. But we--" Gryndyl pauses, smiles. "We shall endure."

Moving as one, the victors hoist Zaxxon high and leave his body dangling in the wind. From a distance, an inhuman silhouette before the setting sun betrays Zaxxon's unholy secret. The living are not sure what tomorrow may bring. But now, as never before, they feel confident of this one thing: they will survive. Come what may, they will prevail.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

We pwned the man-beasts!!!

GO HOKIES!!!

Grundbegriff

:D

Post by Grundbegriff »

Good game, y'all.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Well done.

Zaxxon and SIM, were you afraid of how I made your wives feel at the sensual massage for hot women parlor? Is that why I went first!? Because I could feel? :twisted:
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Lars

Post by Lars »

That was pretty damn fun. Grund, you plan on running another game? I'd assume everyone here would be up for another go around? Grund, if you would prefer to participate in the actual game this time, I'd volunteer to run the next one.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Ok, let me give you what I knew:

Grendyl contacted me and Ralph after the lynching of tgb. He had dreamed of tgb and knew he was an innocent, but due to time differences, was unable to do anything about it before the bloodthirsty mob took tgb down. He was suspicious of SIM due to the switching of votes, and so he dreamed of him the night of tgb's lynching, and discovered he was a werewolf. Grendyl gambled that Ralph and I were both innocents, and luckily for the village, he was correct. Ralph and I were to try and get SIM lynched while screening Grendyl from suspicion. I decided I would make the first accusation, and make it seem as if I was basing my decision on the same reasons that helped Grendyl pick out SIM. I figured that when we managed to get SIM lynched, the remaining werewolf would hopefully go after me for making the first accusation.

Grendyl advised me and Ralph to PM the same 1 or 2 people that were voting for people other than SIM, telling them that we knew SIM was the werewolf. That way, with 2 of us giving someone the same information, we could hopefully sway their vote.

While it was a good plan, I had to leave for work for the day, so I had no time to coordinate with Ralph. Ralph took it upon himself to attempt to sway Zaxxon's vote. Little did we know that Zaxxon was the other beast. IMHO, Zaxxon made a poor tactical decision to go public with Ralph's PM, I'm guessing in the hopes that the village would side with him and lynch Ralph, who Zaxxon suspected was the actual seer. (please correct me if I'm wrong, Zaxxon). The rest, well, seems pretty obvious how it played out. Grendyl dreamed of Zaxxon that night, and confirmed what the rest of us suspected, that he was the remaining wolf.

Good game everyone, was lot's of fun.
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Hey guys...great game...had no idea it would end so abruptly...I called it an early night only to wake up for a quick peak at the results of SIMs hanging to find out we spanked the hairy ones.

Well I'll pack my little church and eagerly move on to the next game. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one...lets do it again.

Casey
The Saint
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

AAR from The Seer:

Lars summed a lot of it up pretty well.

I dreamed of tgb the first night but then he got lynched while I was asleep leaving me at pretty much square one as far as allies. Call it luck or providence but I picked SIM for night 2 and lo, uncovered my first beast.

So I had one werewolf but no trusted allies. I decided to try a really risky but, hopefully, bold strategy. Based on vague impressions from their posts, I felt that Lars and Ralph Wiggum were probably innocents. I contacted each of them, revealing myself and fingering SIM. Since I knew who one wolf was I figured I had pretty good odds of managing to pick two innocents out of the remaining folks. Even if I chose badly, one of them at least had to be innocent. I made them both aware of my contact with the other so that should I get eaten that night, the innocent one would have a very, very good idea of who both wolves were.

Fortunately I chose well and my insurance policy was never tested. Lars covered for me by making the initial accuastion and Ralph and I followed soon after. Unfortunately, our flimsy evidence wasn't enough to sway the masses and people started casting votes about elsewhere rather than jumping on our bandwagon.

I made slightly risky move numer 2 and contacted docd, telling him that Ralph and Lars had each contacted me claiming contact from the seer and accusing SIM. I felt this gave me a sufficient smokescreen should docd turn out to be werewolf 2. Unbeknownst to me, Ralph contacted Zaxxon as well. This is where fortune really went our way. Zaxxon went public with the contact. I can understand some of his potential strategy for doing so but it ended up playing right into our hands. His independant mention of Ralph as the seer convinced docd that my info was legit and brought his vote to our side.

It also served to convincingly make Ralph the seer in everyone's eyes, most notably Zaxxon's. Ralph's noble sacrifice to protect the village and the true seer shall not be forgotten and we shall erect a monument in the village to honor his memory. I think a bent wookie would be apropos.

While Zaxxon was eating Ralph, I had a vision of him to confirm the suspicions that had been brought up by him publicly outing the seer. The visions confirmed his lupineness, but he had managed to bring enough suspicion on himself already that, apart from confirming to Lars that he was the werewolf, all I had to do was sit back and let the mob go to work.

Well played guys! We hung only a single innocent villager.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gryndyl wrote:I can understand some of his potential strategy for doing so but it ended up playing right into our hands. His independant mention of Ralph as the seer convinced docd that my info was legit and brought his vote to our side.
Yep, it sure backfired. But that was expected.

From my perspective as a wolf, before I went public it was all but certain that SIM was going down. This early in the game and with some suspicion already on me, we wolves were done if SIM went down. So, I was desparate to do something to get anyone but SIM lynched, so our dual-vote power could survive another day.

Unfortunately, y'all ain't stupid.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

*raises from the dead*

Good game everyone. As the above posts noted, I was not the seer. But I knew who was the seer and I wanted to shield him from suspicion.

When I PM'ed Zaxxon, I didn't know that he was a werewolf. I suspected that he might be, but just as much as I suspected a couple of others. But his reaction to my PM pretty much confirmed it.

Now if he hadn't made my PM public and had gone along with SIM's death and I hadn't been killed that night, I think we would've been completely thrown off his trail. But that's a lot of "if's" and obviously Zaxxon wasn't in the position to know what Gryndyl, Lars, and I knew.

But, I will admit, while driving to my poker game last night it did flash through my mind that I might have just been completely played by Lars and Gryndyl. If they were the werewolves, I would've been mightly owned. Good thing they weren't. :wink:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, the publicizing of the PM was a long shot, but SIM was going down, and had he gone, I felt I wouldn't be too far behind. In any event, the ratio of wolves to villagers wouldn't have been to my liking. I had hoped to pull the rug over the eyes of a few people. In retrospect, I took a 100% chance of SIM dying and turned it into a 90% chance of him dying + a 90% chance of me dying.

Oops.

[Edit - For the record, I was right not to trust you. ;) ]
Al

And look how close the day 2 votes were...

Post by Al »

Was I the only villager to not get a PM? *sniff* *sniff* That was a fun game, everyone. (And, uh, sorry for the lynching there tgb.)

Man, looking back I can say one thing with absolute certainty: my guesses suck! At the beginning of day two I was talking about Gryndyl, Lars and Ralph. The seer and his two freaking allies! Sheesh.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I still proclaim my innocence Image.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Wow, that was a great game! I want in on the next one Grund runs.
Gryndyl

Re: And look how close the day 2 votes were...

Post by Gryndyl »

Al wrote:Was I the only villager to not get a PM? *sniff* *sniff* That was a fun game, everyone. (And, uh, sorry for the lynching there tgb.)

Man, looking back I can say one thing with absolute certainty: my guesses suck! At the beginning of day two I was talking about Gryndyl, Lars and Ralph. The seer and his two freaking allies! Sheesh.
dysan and yankeeman were kind of out of the loop also. You guys were kind of unknown quantities to me. You almost got my second day pm instead of docd-it was pretty much a coin toss decision. Truth be told, it wasn't up until the end that I even suspected Zaxxon. I actually still had a lingering doubt about Ralph because he had been playing his responses to my pm's fairly close to the vest compared to Lars jumping in and giving enthusiastic assistance, In retrospect I think Ralph may have been playing it cautious, in case I wasn't who I claimed, up until SIM's hanging verified me. I had been debating my next vision between verifying Ralph or having a look at Yankeeman.

Then Ralph made his play and not only proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt but gave me a brand new prime suspect for wolf 2.

It's definitely a more 'active' game for the conspirators than it is for the innocent villagers. They just get to be the folks that everyone else is trying to manipulate

:P
setaside

Post by setaside »

Gryndyl wrote:Truth be told, it wasn't up until the end that I even suspected Zaxxon.
I actually did suspect from the get go. It wasn't until I was knocked off that I was ready to hang Zax. Of course, by then it was too late. :cry:
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Gryndyl wrote:
Al wrote:Was I the only villager to not get a PM? *sniff* *sniff* That was a fun game, everyone. (And, uh, sorry for the lynching there tgb.)

dysan and yankeeman were kind of out of the loop also. You guys were kind of unknown quantities to me. You almost got my second day pm instead of docd-it was pretty much a coin toss decision. Truth be told, it wasn't up until the end that I even suspected Zaxxon. I actually still had a lingering doubt about Ralph because he had been playing his responses to my pm's fairly close to the vest compared to Lars jumping in and giving enthusiastic assistance, In retrospect I think Ralph may have been playing it cautious, in case I wasn't who I claimed, up until SIM's hanging verified me. I had been debating my next vision between verifying Ralph or having a look at Yankeeman.

Then Ralph made his play and not only proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt but gave me a brand new prime suspect for wolf 2.

It's definitely a more 'active' game for the conspirators than it is for the innocent villagers. They just get to be the folks that everyone else is trying to manipulate

:P
Yeah...I knew going in that it would go one of two ways for me. I'm a hardcore lurker from very early on in the GG days, OO is my home page and I'm here everyday, just don't post much. So I know that I would either raise suspensions immediately or kind of be in the background, as it ended up being. BTW. I didnt receive the Pms either.

As far as my guesses go...WOW..I sucked, but I also wasnt as privy to the PMs either, But I am looking forward to the next one, Count me in

Casey
The Saint
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

setaside wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:Truth be told, it wasn't up until the end that I even suspected Zaxxon.
I actually did suspect from the get go. It wasn't until I was knocked off that I was ready to hang Zax. Of course, by then it was too late. :cry:
You were trouble from the start. Also, you taste salty. Less sodium in the diet next time, please!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gryndyl wrote:It's definitely a more 'active' game for the conspirators than it is for the innocent villagers. They just get to be the folks that everyone else is trying to manipulate
I'd imagine that depends how far into the game you are. There is a point in your paranoia that you probably should start insinuating things to try and gain and understanding of the situation. Basically, offering yourself up for sacrifice with strange messages while letting others know what is going on. Weave a web a traps and see who springs them and hope that your fellow villagers can figure out the clues you've left.

This works especially well, once you are in on the secret of who the seer is. But you can't really know who the seer is until they're dead or you've killed a werewolf. Until then it's all interesting speculation and assumption, action, and reaction.

How would a wolf vote? How would a wolf vote trying to disguise his vote? How would a villager vote? How would a villager vote in order to scream, Hey I'm a villager!!! They should be very similar, except that a wolf is the only one going in with a conscious decision... at first. ;)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Bakhtosh wrote:Zax & RW
I was half right...
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

I would have enjoyed the game more if I hadn't been the first victim?

Why me? LOL. seriously, I'm just curious. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Arnir wrote:Why me? LOL. seriously, I'm just curious. :)
Dude, you owned the sensuous massage parlor. We were jealous.

Seriously. ;)
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

Zaxxon wrote:
Arnir wrote:Why me? LOL. seriously, I'm just curious. :)
Dude, you owned the sensuous massage parlor. We were jealous.

Seriously. ;)
LOL. You know, when I woke up dead, :shock: , I thought that perhaps I had chosen the wrong profession. But it was worth it! :D